Archive for Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kansas cattle trails could become historic sites

June 24, 2010

— Federal officials are studying whether to designate the old Chisholm and Great Western cattle trails in Kansas as national historic trails.

The National Park Service scheduled a meeting Thursday evening in Wichita to let residents learn more and offer opinions on the possibility.

Millions of cattle were led from south Texas over the Chisholm and Great Western trails to railroad sites in Kansas and Nebraska between the 1860s and 1880s. The trails encompass about 2,500 miles of land routes in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska.

Thursday's public meeting takes place from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum.

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

THE GOODNIGHT-LOVING TRAIL (Bruce Phillips)  Too old to wrangle or ride on the swing, You beat the triangle and you curse everything. If dirt was a kingdom, they you'd be the king.  On the Goodnight Trail, on the Loving Trail, Our Old Woman's lonesome tonight. Your French harp blows like the low bawling calf. It's a wonder the wind don't tear off your skin. Get in there and blow out the light.  With your snake oil and herbs and your liniments, too, You can do anything that a doctor can do, Except find a cure for your own god damned stew  CHORUS  The campfire's gone out and the coffee's all gone, The boys are all up and they're raising the dawn. You're still sitting there, lost in a song.  CHORUS  I know that some day I'll be just the same, Wearing an apron instead of a name. There's nothing can change it, there's no one to blame For the desert's a book writ in lizards and sage, Easy to look like an old torn out page, Faded and cracked with the colors of age.  CHORUS  -----------------------------------------------------------------  Words and music by Bruce (Utah) Phillips

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

I am delighted at this news but am concerned at further government control over private property.

the american cowboy is an important part of american history, and of who we are as americans. lots of today' english dates to cowboys and their trade.

but if they open up them trails, ya' better watchout fer them derned texas cowboys! theyll ride in and shoot up yer town again!

yippee ty yi yay! get along little dogies! its your misfortune, and none of my own.

get along little dogies, for you know that Wyoming will be your new home.

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Charlie Goodnight would be honored.............

waka2 3 years, 10 months ago

dude people who eat cows are the same as murdhers you anit never gona get me to eat a cow

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

i think this is exciting! Sign me up!

ylime3499 3 years, 10 months ago

Really like this idea! Growing up in Abilene and visiting "Old Abilene Town" was awesome. And you're right gatekeeper, people don't know enough about our history. I asked a 16yr old about Eisenhower, their response was, "Who's that?" I then asked them to give me some ideas as to who they think he was/is. "I don't know born in the 1800's? I bet I've heard about him in Social Studies ..."

Oh well ... bring on the historic site!

gatekeeper 3 years, 10 months ago

Could be a good thing. My father took me walking along the Santa Fe trail when I was a kid, explaining to me what the settlers went through. I was amazed at how dep the ruts were that were still there from the thousands of wagons that travelled the trail.

My family donated a diary to the KS Historical Society kept by a cattleman on my father's side who worked the Chisholm trail for a while. It was very facinating reading what it was like to drive cattle hundreds of miles. Those were some tough guys.

Not enough people know much about our history and getting to actually visit sites like this is a great way to learn.

puddleglum 3 years, 10 months ago

dang, another comment removed because I mentioned overweight women.

I'm really faultering lately. I apologize, LJworld.

Clark Coan 3 years, 10 months ago

The Chisholm Trail was THE most important cattle drive trails during the Old West. It is long past time to make it into a national historic trail like the Santa Fe and Oregon Trails in Kansas. Although Kansans might not be interested in the Old West, Europeans sure are. They will visit sights along the trail and spend money. This could help the economies of Wellington, Abilene and Ellsworth. The National Park Service does not acquire land for national historic trails.

Danimal 3 years, 10 months ago

Yay! Another Federal land grab!

puddleglum 3 years, 10 months ago

Bladerunner 3 years, 10 months ago

Imagine the thrill of packing up the family and taking them to visit.....a cattle trail!