Archive for Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fans celebrate U.S. soccer victory

World Cup watchers Ron Zahorik, painted face, Lawrence, jumps up and down with friend and Lawrence resident Jonathan Roper as the Red Lyon Tavern erupts following U.S. player Landon Donovan's goal in the ninety-second minute against Algeria, Wednesday, June 23, 2010. Donovan's goal helped to advance the U.S. to the next round.

June 24, 2010

Lawrence soccer fans watch World Cup game at local bar

Many people gathered at the Red Lyon on Massachusetts Street to watch the U.S. vs. Algeria soccer game today. Enlarge video

It was a Wednesday morning of close calls for Joe Nasternak and other Lawrence fans who turned out to watch the U.S. national team in their must-win World Cup match against Algeria.

Nasternak’s dedication to the soccer team — evident by his American flag bandana and jersey — paid off at the Red Lyon Tavern, 944 Mass., as his heroes pulled off a late goal to advance in the tournament.

Landon Donovan scored in the first minute of stoppage time off a rebound, to give the United States a 1-0 victory.

Nasternak was one of several fans who packed the Red Lyon. He said the intensity of the World Cup reminded him “just a hair” of the excitement surrounding a big Kansas University basketball game.

“There’s a lot of people that you might not necessarily see, but you’re all here for the same cause, rooting for the same team,” he said. “In that regard, it’s pretty similar.”

Several area soccer fans packed the Red Lyon to watch World Cup matches, especially the U.S. national team’s games in the last two weeks.

They were rewarded with Donovan’s late-game heroics Wednesday morning.

“Any kind of growth for the game around here is good, and having a better team is definitely something to rally around,” Nasternak said.

Comments

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

Good for them! People enjoying a day out with others! Go USA!

I don't know if the game will ever really catch on here the way it has all around the world, but I do see the interest in the World Cup growing stronger and stronger. It is like the Olympics, and fun to follow every four years. I mean, if it weren't for national competition would we ever care about things like ice skating or gymnastics? Michael Phelps is virtually a household name for his mad swimming skills, but if it weren't for the national competition of the Olympics he would be one more swimmer we had never heard of.

So, to those who hate the whole idea, I say relax and try rooting for the good old U. S. of A. You just might find that 1 - 0 score pretty exciting after all.

Bursting 3 years, 10 months ago

You know what, I'll take soccer for one simple reason: No commercials during the gameplay!!!! I just can't stand all the advertising on television and watching soccer is quite a relief.

As the games go on it's very easy to develop an appreciation for the players and their roles, I disagree with how theatrical some of them are, but thats sports I guess.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to try again.

Oh my, what fun! it's nice that everyone can gather together and enjoy one anothers company over similar interests.

I feel better now.

spiff 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, self-esteem vampires...

Have we put down others enough to feel good about ourselves for the day?

labmonkey 3 years, 10 months ago

Autie-

I believe Americans for the most part have a good take on soccer. It is good for kids to play and for adults to cheer on their kids. Most find it crazy, on the other hand, to watch other adults play.

We are within a month of NFL training camps starting. WOOHOO!!!

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

There was a post yesterday on the soccer update thread about how soccer wasn't American. I can't remember which wingnut posted it..but it was one of the usual suspects. You boys better wake up. There are probably more kids playing soccer now than play football by a long shot. Our local high school had trouble winning any football games for the whole four years my kid was there...because all the better athletes were playing soccer. They won there league and did well in the state tourny all of those years. Kicked behind. Not that it will replace football any time soon as the big money game...but them times they are a changing......

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Ralph Reed 3 years, 10 months ago

For the most part, typical derision of something you don't understand.

@lildos, re: your 0725.

I agree, it was an excellent game.

I can't shake the feeling though that the officials have it out for the US team (that ref during the game with Slovenia most particularly). Even though the officials stole a couple of goals from the US during the first half of yesterday's game with Algeria, the team came back to win. I just wish they wouldn't wait until stoppage time to do that. Donovan did a great job.

Ghana is next, 26 June at 2030 (I think). Better they than Germany.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, what a sad, conceited view of others and the world around you. So, we should be concerned about all of the isses around us, 24/7, never pausing to enjoy some good, clean fun? Sucks to be you, man.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

"I am not an American citizen" and that's why you like soccer. Sure it's a fast growing sport, when you start out with 2 fans, and you get 2 more, you've doubled in size.

Just so you know I'm not picking on soccer, I have general disdain for any idiot that dresses up and cheers at a television screen. televised sports are a distraction to society to keep people dumbed down so they're not thinking about the real issues.

lildos 3 years, 10 months ago

How is this different than dorks in full Jayhawk gear? How is this different than an excuse to drink and yell at Memorial or Arrowhead. At least they are cheering for a national team on one of the most exciting matches in recent history.

If you think soccer is so boring why do you waste your time posting on the LJWolrd on a article about soccer. I think you are all closet soccer fans and just don't want to admit it. If you are not, get used to it, because soccer (after Lacrosse, if I remember correctly) is the fastest growing sport in America. And no, it is not because of all the immigrants, it is suburban kids that are taking up the sport.

I am not an American citizen but I was cheering hard for the US, that was one hell of a match and this was one hell of a group stage for the US. The team is looking pretty good, they played one of the toughest groups this year (Algeria was a great team).

Mixolydian 3 years, 10 months ago

91 minutes of play time and 1 to nothing.....I mean 1 to nil.

What drubbing, We really put the beating on Algeria. Such an exciting sport.

Does the LJW support the sarcasm font?

been_there 3 years, 10 months ago

The guy in the hat certainly seems excited. But I think you guys have nailed it.

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

just an excuse too drink and yell...........

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

fans of soccer. no. fans of getting drunk and yelling at a sports team. yes.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

The dork crowd in full costume.......... Yawn, boring.