Archive for Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Severe thunderstorm watch canceled for Douglas County

Expect t-storms to develop along a weak cold front that should pass through the area by this evening. Highs are still expected to be in the middle 90s with high heat index readings in the low 100s.

June 23, 2010, 2:54 p.m. Updated June 23, 2010, 8:12 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

The National Weather Service has canceled a severe thunderstorm watch for Douglas County. The watch was originally in effect until 10 p.m.

Storms were expected to develop in Kansas about 4 p.m., according to the National Weather Service, with severe wind and hail being the primary threats.

Check LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Matt Elwell 5 years, 1 month ago

The cold front that is initiating these storms is to our north in Jefferson County. Expect to see these storms develop quickly along that front. Once that front has passed the area, our severe weather chances will drop significantly with slightly cooler and drier air moving in behind.

Matt Elwell 6 New Chief Meteorologist

rbwaa 5 years, 1 month ago

It's not here yet and doesn't look threatening but the "...develop quickly along that front" warning is good to know.

jackpot 5 years, 1 month ago

The radar shows the front or gust front moving in. Maybe here in 20 mins.?

KansasPerson 5 years, 1 month ago

"slightly cooler and drier air moving in"????

Music to my ears!

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

nothing gonna happen today or tonight, this is just typical 'sky is fallin' hype.

Matt Elwell 5 years, 1 month ago

puddleglum: In a way you are right. As it stands right now that cold front is moving into central DG county. That isn't to say that 'the sky is fallin' type of hype. There was a legitmate threat that these storms would fire along the front, which it has. Jackson County Missouri was warned on a storm for 1" hail which falls within the guidelines of severe threat for sure. Our threat will deminish with this frontal passage, although I would not be shocked to see run-of-the-mill stratoform storms form behind this, but severe weather threat will be minimal at that point.

By the way, autie... Volkswagen-sized hail.... that is big hail... made me laugh out loud.

Matt Elwell 6 News Chief Meteorologist

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Who cares about the storms... when can we expect the cold front to move in?? I want to see sixty degree temps again... :)

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

Matt Elwell 5 years, 1 month ago

Lots of people are ready for 60 degree temps, but with the amount of rain that we picked up over the last couple of weeks, the ground can't take much more. I guess the good news is that we have had nearly a week to recover... Our cool-down begins now... to average... for a day before we are back to our Kansas summer

thadrosen 5 years, 1 month ago

I'll take just an hour of sixty degree weather-- give it to me and I will savor every minute. I MISS WINTER; yes, I said it.

Mr_B9 4 years, 11 months ago

A gentleman called me this morning to say that either a small tornado or micro burst happened on or near Wellman road at the county line last night. Says it did minimal damage. I am out of town and saw nothing in the paper. Does anyone have any news of this or other damaging storms happening last night? Thanks in advance....