Archive for Monday, June 21, 2010

Police respond to reported armed robbery near Ninth and Tennessee

A Lawrence resident was the victim of an armed robbery Sunday night. Four armed men reportedly stole electronics from the residence after hitting the man.

June 21, 2010, 12:01 a.m. Updated June 21, 2010, 2:14 a.m.

Lawrence Police responded Sunday night to a reported armed robbery in the 900 block of Tennessee Street.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, the victim called to report the incident about 11:11 p.m. The complex resident told police he had been robbed by four black men all armed with various firearms. The victim could not recall if he had allowed the men to enter or if they had forced their way inside his residence.

Hadl said when the men gained entry, they restrained and hit the victim while they stole various electronics and another weapon from the residence. The suspects had taken the man's phone, so he was unable to call for help until after the suspects had already left the scene.

The victim was not seriously injured during the incident.

Hadl said there was limited information regarding the suspects, but police were told there were four black men involved, all in their teens or early 20s.

No additional suspect information was available early Monday morning.

Police continued to interview the victim Monday and are continuing to investigate the incident.

Hadl urged anybody with information to contact Lawrence police at 785-830-7430 or Douglas County dispatchers at 785-832-7509. Callers who wish to remain anonymous are asked to call Crime Stoppers, 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

origflyboy 4 years, 6 months ago

How do you not recall whether or not someone forced their way into your home. Either he let them in or they force their way in. I think that I would recall something like that...

Chris Ogle 4 years, 6 months ago

"I can't recall, occifer" ..... he will make a good lawyer someday

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like some brothers helped themselves to the victim's "inventory."

independant1 4 years, 6 months ago

'could not recall if he'd allowed the men to enter' ?

Somebody ripped off the thing I ripped off! (Cheech Marin)

cowboy 4 years, 6 months ago

it's called being in shock , trauma , catch these dogs !

Dec84 4 years, 6 months ago

CB, you don't even believe BS yourself.

lawrencenerd 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree. After being restrained, assaulted, and threatened with firearms small details may not be so easy to remember. Many are calling BS, but fearing for your life is a very traumatic experience.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 6 months ago

Not shock...BS. A person does not remember all of the details of their "STORY" but not know how the suspects gained entrance to their residence.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I don't think anyone is so traumatized they don't remember if they opened the door or someone busted in. Or perhaps (likely) it wasn't locked to begin with. What a weird thing to say.

Kris_H 4 years, 6 months ago

Only if he got whacked on the head would I buy the "don't recall" story. That could indeed cause a memory loss for the time right before getting whacked on the head.

Hope he's OK and the scumbags are caught.

cowboy 4 years, 6 months ago

It's actually pretty common if knocked out. A member of my family was knocked out and robbed and remembered very little of what happened and acted really strange from the concussion . Have a little heart , it won't hurt you

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

ta-ta-ta-topeka?

we need to start charging a tax on everyone that passes through douglas county from shawnee county, say $5.00 per trip, since our law enforcement has to deal with their thugs constantly. sounds fair.

Thats_messed_up 4 years, 6 months ago

yeah puddle there's no thugs in Lawrence. LOL

maxcrabb 4 years, 6 months ago

I had a concussion in high school, and four hours later "woke up" in a hospital looking at the doctor and thinking, "what in the hell is going on here?". Of course, I was awake the whole time, but my short term memory was so out of whack, the whole day was erased from memory.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

Four armed men do not randomly invade homes in the student ghetto to rob students of their electronics. Sounds like a drug ripoff to me.

bethabla 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually that is not true. I live at 12th and Tennessee, in the student ghetto, and my house was robbed this year also. Luckily we weren't there, but all of our electronics were stolen. We were told by the police that the amount of robberies in this area is huge. Lawrence really needs to do something about these people.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

You were not robbed, you were burglarized. Home invasions and burglaries are very dissimilar crimes.

bethabla 4 years, 6 months ago

Ok well either way, people came in to our house and took our things.

bethabla 4 years, 6 months ago

Ok well either way, people came in to our house and stole our things.

lawrencenerd 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm betting "these people" means the people who are targeting and stealing from people in the area. What else would you think it meant in the context it is used in?

lawrencenerd 4 years, 6 months ago

I live around the same area and had somebody try to break into my house while I was home. Also, I had a vehicle stolen this year as well. Last year a neighbor had a vehicle stolen and it was traced back to some people in Topeka. Unfortunately mine has not been located yet.

John Spencer 4 years, 6 months ago

You were robbed, the house was burglarized.

Bob Forer 4 years, 6 months ago

No she was not robbed. Robbery is taking from a person by force or threat of force.

John Spencer 4 years, 6 months ago

Read the definition of robbed: 1.to take something from (someone) by unlawful force or threat of violence; steal from. 2.to deprive (someone) of some right or something legally due: They robbed her of her inheritance. 3.to plunder or rifle (a house, shop, etc.). 4.to deprive of something unjustly or injuriously: The team was robbed of a home run hitter when the umpire called it a foul ball. The shock robbed him of his speech. 5.Mining. to remove ore or coal from (a pillar).

grammaddy 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the guys in last year's home invasion at Easy Living trailer court are back in action.Sometimes even getting shot is not a deterrent.

doubledogleg 4 years, 6 months ago

does anybody know the exact address of this incident?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

no point in robbing him again, all his stuff is already gone.

Kris_H 4 years, 6 months ago

Puddles, I would sure like to know what Topeka has to do with this one.

I'll pay the $5 to come to your fair city if I get $5 from you every time some idiot driver cuts me off, or a bunch of drunk youngsters fall off the curb in front of my car downtown when I have the green light. I think I'll come out better off.

And I had my purse snatched in Lawrence back in the day, which is still one of the worst crimes ever committed against me personally.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

you see Kris, all those things happened here in lawrence. Now how would you feel if lawrencians came to your town and stole your purse (low-lifes) ???

KansasPerson 4 years, 6 months ago

Oh man, not at 11:11 p.m.! That's my favorite time! :(

mytwocents 4 years, 6 months ago

KansasPerson: don't worry, last night the paper reported 11:10pm. I bet your favorite time is still up for grabs!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 6 months ago

It says he wasn't injured: he didn't get donked on the head. Alcohol and/or dishonesty seem to be at play here.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

It says he was not seriously injured, but he still could have been clonked on the head.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 6 months ago

A hit to the head that causes short-term memory loss counts as a serious injury to me. That serious of an injury would be a clear visible injury and likely reported. I have to agree that there is more to the story that just isn't being told.

gravitykills 4 years, 6 months ago

Early Sunday morning (3 am), there was a police car and another car wrecked at Iowa and 19th. The cop car was facing north in the south bound lane and a few feet from the actual intersection of 19th (west campus). The other car was facing south, I think. Looked like a bad head on collision. The cop car was crushed from the left front bumper to nearly the drivers door.

Anybody know anything about it?

1234 4 years, 6 months ago

They dont post good storys about cops wreckin their cars.

RKLOG 4 years, 6 months ago

Sounds to me like the old "blame it on a black guy" story. I hope they look really carefully into this one.