Members of the public are being asked to provide information about what the city’s budget priorities should be for 2011. Commissioners are seeking comment on what items should and should not be included in next year’s budget.
Commissioners invite public comment about the budget as they begin what is expected to be about a month’s worth of work on crafting the 2011 budget. The city must have a budget approved by late August.
• Consider motion to recess into executive session for 40 minutes to discuss employer-employee negotiations. The justification for the executive session is to keep negotiation matters confidential at this time. The commission will conclude the executive session about 6:10 p.m. and resume the open meeting at 6:35 p.m.
Recognition (6:35 p.m.)
• Recognition of Lawrence Police Capt. Tarik Khatib as a graduate of the 240th FBI National Academy class.
• Recognition of Spc. Troy Yocum and The Hike for our Heroes.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from April 27.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the administrative services department.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set bid date of July 6 for 2010 Concrete Rehabilitation Program.
b. Set a bid opening July 13 for Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometer Instrument.
c. Award bid for 2010 Overlay Program, Phase 2, to Kansas Heavy Construction LLC for $1,369,099.80.
d. Approve purchase of one 25-ton vehicle lift for Public Works, Central Maintenance Garage, from Myers Brothers Equipment Co. of Kansas City for $40,803.
e. Award bid for leather structural firefighting boots for the Fire Medical Department to Casco Industries for $25,152.90.
f. Award bid for Wastewater Pump Station 04 Discharge Piping Replacement to CAS Construction for $25,400 and authorize the city manager to execute a contract agreement.
g. Waive staff estimate and award the base bid for the comprehensive rehabilitation project at 216 N. Minn. base bid only to T&J; Holdings for $25,600. The homeowner will provide funds in excess of the program limits of $25,000.
• Adopt on first reading an ordinance establishing yield signs on Pleasant Street at North Fourth Street.
• Adopt ordinances on second and final reading amending:
a. Sections of the city code to incorporate additional restrictions contained in the Kansas Indoor Clean Air Act.
b. The city’s Land Development Code to permit bars or lounges and other changes in the mixed-use district.
• Approve an amendment to the city’s Land Development Code to revise language regarding Adaptive Reuse of Designated Historic Property, and Written Interpretations and Appeals of Administrative Decisions.
• Approve these items related to the Bert Nash Dash and Bash:
a. Temporary use of right-of-way permit for the closure of the 600 block of Massachusetts Street from noon to midnight Oct. 9 for the Bert Nash Dash and Bash.
b. Adopt on first reading an ordinance allowing possession and consumption of alcohol during those hours.
c. Approve donation of city services in support of the Bert Nash Dash and Bash.
• Authorize city manager to sign grant agreement with the Federal Aviation Administration for funding of the Lawrence Airport Layout Plan/Airport Master Plan. The federal government will provide 95 percent of funding for this project, with a local match of $12,455.
• Approve unanimous recommendations from the Traffic Safety Commission for:
a. No parking along the north side of 13th Street between Oread Avenue and Louisiana Street.
b. Removal of stop signs on 11th Street at Indiana Street and establish stop signs on Indiana Street at 11th Street.
• Authorize binding coverage for property/casualty insurance from Hartford for July 1, 2010, to July 1, 2011, for a premium of $109,924, and authorize binding coverage for Fire Medical auto/professional liability/portable equipment with ESIP for the same time period at a premium of $61,090, plus the associated brokerage fee of $16,510 to Arthur J. Gallagher, for a total of $187,524.
• Approve submission of a grant application for $15,000 from the Sunflower Foundation for the construction of additional concrete trails in DeVictor Park. The grant requires a $15,000 local match.
• Approve request from the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission to allocate $10,000 in 2009 Cultural Arts Commission carryover funds in the Special Recreation Fund to establish a Downtown Lawrence Arts District and a “Final Fridays” art event in downtown, with Downtown Lawrence Inc. administering the project.
• Authorize the city manager to execute the first amendment to commercial lease agreement and authorize the mayor to execute the first amendment to the amended and restated ground lease with Riverfront LLC.
• Approve the recovery zone facility bond reallocation agreement.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Conduct public hearing to consider the vacation of unused utility easements in Lots 1, 2, 3, and 4, North Lawrence Addition No. 14, as requested by Foust LLC.
• Receive public comment concerning 2011 budget issues.
• Receive staff report concerning possible amendments to the city’s Community Improvement District and Transportation Development District policies.
• Consider a request to establish a multi-way stop at 11th and Louisiana streets.
• Consider a request to establish a multi-way stop at the intersection of 11th Street (east leg) and Mississippi Street subject to reconstruction of the private driveway on the west leg of the intersection.