LJWorld Green

KU begins work on geothermal energy project

June 18, 2010

Geologists from the University of Kansas have begun a $4 million research project on geothermal energy.

The university says the three-year project is aimed at making it easier to power electric plants with geothermal energy.

The project is funded partly with $2.4 million from the U.S. Department of Energy. Other funding comes from the university's Geology Department, the University of Oklahoma and the Sierra Geothermal Power Corp.

Associate professor of geology Daniel Stockli and two students began mapping a region in Nevada this month as an initial phase of the project. The team plans to create 3-D maps of the area to assess its underground temperature history.

Comments

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

and no basketball tickets were harmed in the making of this energy....

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm wishing all the luck to these guys. I hope they find the answer, so we can stop or at least slow down the oil and coal usage. I hope you are the ones to find an answer to the mess we've made of this world. My grandkids are counting on it.

esj2003 4 years, 5 months ago

I forget what bank, but there is a bank building in Greensburg that uses geothermal coils to heat its floors (then heat rises per 3rd grade science lessons) during the winter. There is no cost to it after the initial installation. Whatever excess heat they need after that is produced from wind and solar energy. Greensburg actually produces more green energy than the town needs. Some day... Some day that will be everyone else, too.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 5 months ago

http://www.nevadageothermal.com/i/maps/usgeotherm-map.gif Lots of geothermal sources in Nevada. There is a 49.5 Megawatt plant on-line at Blue Mountain.

mleanna 4 years, 5 months ago

Nevada most definitely has hot springs. I've been to one of them (during a geology course led by Prof. Stockli, actually). Yay for nature's hot tub!

mdfraz 4 years, 5 months ago

I concur none2. Very reasoned and well written post. You don't see those too often here. And I happen to agree pretty much 100% with your views.

MyName 4 years, 5 months ago

You are dumb. Why do you even post?

They aren't digging holes in the ground, they are using different tools (including subsurface radar and the like) to map what's under the ground. And one of the big reasons why the business world does so well here is because the government dumps so much money into research. Everything from products created during the space race to Google has come from commercialization of discoveries made in a government lab.

Government covers the cost of research, business covers the cost of bringing things to market, and we all benefit.

Danimal 4 years, 5 months ago

I think we're going to have to move away from the model of having huge, centralized power plants of any kind and move towards each property being a micro-power plant. I'm not sure that gigantic wind farms or endless fields of solar panels are the answer. But if everyone had a couple solar panels, a small wind turbine, and/or a geothermal well at their home I think we can resolve a lot of the energy crunch.

I've always heard that geothermal is probably the least viable of the renewable energies in this part of the country. I have a friend that is an architect. A couple years ago she designed and built a house in KC that had solar, wind and geothermal power, and the geothermal was the least productive for the investment.

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

So with that analogy, I never understood why they thought that the only producers on the electric grid must be huge power plants

I'm pretty sure smaller producers can and do put power into the grid and make a little money doing it. There's a small powerplant on the Kaw behind city hall that still adds to the grid.

The Bowersock Mills and Power Company

* Energy Production: BMPC depends on the Bowersock Dam for the production of a maximum of 2.35 MW of electricity on a daily basis. BMPC has the possibility to expand production at the Bowersock Dam through the construction of an additional plant on the north side of the river with a capacity of approximately 5 MW of energy production. BMPC produces clean, renewable energy with zero carbon impacts. It is a stated goal of the State of Kansas and the United States Department of Energy to increase the production of renewable, non-polluting, domestic energy supplies in Kansas and for the United States.

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for clarifying! As if blame solves anything.

jaywalker 4 years, 5 months ago

Excellent point of research! Godspeed in your endeavors.