Archive for Friday, June 18, 2010

100 years ago: Building of mausoleum seems unlikely

June 18, 2010

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily World for June 18, 1910: “It will be remembered that a representative of the Ohio Mausoleum company was in the city about three weeks ago and asked permission from the city council to select a site at Oak Hill to build one of their structures. When asked what the cemetery committee had done towards recommending the granting of a site for the building, Chairman Cox shook his head. He made no reply, but his manner indicated that the proposition has been pigeonholed.... The fire department employees and horses had a chance to stretch their limbs last night on the way to North Lawrence where a false alarm had been turned in from 290 Pa. street. The fire proved to be in a back yard -- a bonfire. This was the first alarm in a week or so.... In some way or other, the harness of the fire chief’s rig did not get fastened right when Frank Broeker started out of the barn on the way to the fire alarm last night. Broeker had made a good start before he realized what was the matter, and was unable to stop before he reached the corner of Henry and Massachusetts street. Fortunately the horse is a good one to mind, and tried its best to stop at the command of Broeker.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.