Archive for Tuesday, June 15, 2010

State refunds being issued in a timely manner this year

June 15, 2010

— Around this time last year, Kansas had to halt state income tax refunds because the state was essentially broke.

That’s not the case now.

So far, the state has issued nearly 900,000 refunds totaling $41.2 million, according to the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Of the nearly 1.4 million state tax returns sent to the department this year, there are currently 13,000 returns with refunds waiting to be issued.

Most of the 13,000 returns were received after the April 15 tax deadline, while a small number received prior to the deadline need additional information from the taxpayer before issuing a refund, officials said.

“We have notified the taxpayers,” said Freda Warfield, of the Kansas Department of Revenue.

At the end of May 2009, the state had suspended income tax refunds for several weeks because of a shortfall in revenue. And earlier in 2009, income tax refunds were held up briefly when then-Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a Democrat, and Republican legislative leaders got into a budget fight. It was resolved after a tense standoff when Sebelius signed a deficit reduction bill and Republicans agreed to $225 million in inter-government borrowing.

But this year things are going more smoothly on the tax refunds.

In addition to having enough revenue to make refunds, the department reported it is able to return refunds quicker because of the increased use of electronic filing.

In 2008, 914,002 individual state income tax returns were sent electronically, as compared with 1,150,427 this year.

Comments

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Forgot to file the paper forms for two years when young and restless. State started the threatening form letters a la fines/imprisonment. Went to my hearing in Toepicker at dept of revitup. Oops, we owe you a refund.

They should seek out all poor slobs who didn't file for their refund, but noooooo.

Felt like I'd gotten a winning scratch ticket.

But not now, try to keep the withholdings close to the liability.

A twofer - The good old days with most of us was when we didn’t earn enough to pay an income tax. There ain't no income tax in Russia because there ain't no income. (Will Rogers)

Pantoozo 3 years, 10 months ago

How much interest does the state pay for holding residents money? Is the interest rate better than a banks?

damnitimpissed 3 years, 10 months ago

I filed online (not the same as e-filing) on 5/27 and my return was direct-deposited on 6/3.

Mixolydian 3 years, 10 months ago

What's a refund?

I always have to pay the state money.

All you freeloaders quit yer bellyachin'.

kjo_shorty 3 years, 10 months ago

I filed on-line as always. I had my state refund in less than 2 weeks. What did I do that was so special? I filled it out completely and correctly. If you have filed and not received your refund, I would suggest calling KDOR to find out what the hold up is. A little logic goes a long way! Oh, and for all of you paper filers, that slows the process tremendously and generates extra costs. I hope they charge you to file by paper next year as they have threatened to do.

canusayduh 3 years, 10 months ago

Well I received mine very timely from the state. Like 10 days after I filed. So, now you know someone.

JRS 3 years, 10 months ago

I also think it's a lie. We filed in Feb and still no refund. I don't know anyone who has received one from the state.

cntrygrl 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a complete lie. We e-filed at the end of January and haven't heard a word about our refund, except that it was "accepted". We got our Federal in 3 days. I'd love to meet one of the 900,000 to ask what they did that was so special.

ralphralph 3 years, 10 months ago

This sounds like a lie. Just saying.