Archive for Monday, June 14, 2010

Van Go students build art projects for annual What Floats Your Boat auction

Annual fundraising auction is Saturday

June 14, 2010

Past Event
Van Go's 7th annual 'What Floats Your Boat'

• When: Saturday, June 19, 2010, 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
  • Where: Clinton Lake Marina, Lawrence
  • Cost: $60 - $400
  • More on this event....

Instead of spending the afternoon relaxing at the pool, 15-year-old Van Go student Anna Taylor finds a comfortable spot on the floor to begin her next art project.

She is surrounded by colorful paintings, tables, chairs, benches, ceramics, umbrellas and mailboxes. The pink and green patterned umbrella towering in front of her stands as evidence to her hard work.

Taylor and about 14 other students have spent six weeks building art projects for Van Go’s yearly What Floats Your Boat fundraiser event on Saturday. The event will include a live auction with items such as mosaic mailboxes, Adirondack chairs, market umbrellas, urns, candlesticks, a picnic table and a children’s playhouse.

Unlike previous years, all the items this year were done completely by students.

“It’s fun to get to work on something on your own and design it how you want,” Taylor said.

The event will help raise money to make up for lost grant and federal funds to the Van Go program. Last year the event sold nearly 600 tickets and raised about $70,000. The money helps pay for supplies, operation costs and staff.

“Fundraisers and donations are crucial to our success,” said Eliza Nichols, Van Go marketing director. “This particular fundraiser accounts for about 8 percent of our budget.”

The event will be from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday, June 19, at Clinton Lake Marina. Tickets are $60 per person or $400 for a table of eight and include food, beverages and a performance by the band $ellout. Visit www.van-go.org to buy a ticket.

Heather French, 21-year-old artist in residence at Van Go, said she will be sad to let go of the pieces she spent so much time on.

“You make them by scratch and put a piece of yourself into every one,” French said.

Comments

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 9 months ago

The headline here makes it sound like they are closing down, I would re-think it.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I agree with the above posts ... poor choice of words.

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

At least the LJW has not stoop to the level of the National Enquirer by inserting "batboy" in the headline (yet)

"Van Go art will soon be gone but batboy will stay"

Amesmb 4 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. I can see they were aiming for a play on words, but I read the article expecting to find out why they're were shutting down.

Tammie Bryant 4 years, 9 months ago

No kidding, why exactly is Van Go Arts going away? I think you forgot that paragraph.

fayedog 4 years, 9 months ago

We are not going away!! Van Go is here to stay! The headline is misleading. We are holding our 7th annual fundraiser, 'What Floats Your Boat' this weekend.......many art items will be auctioned off, I think that is what the author means by 'gone.' Like 'gone' to a new home. Stop in and see all the great things happening at Van Go, 7th and New Jersey!

kugrad 4 years, 9 months ago

With all due respect to a valued organization, I think a lower ticket price needs to be offered. I can't afford $60 just for the ticket to get a chance to bid. I couldn't bring the family, or even my spouse. I'd sure like a way to bid on some items, but it is just too costly. One of the biggest problems with the arts in Lawrence is that so many events are not working-family friendly. For example, the Lawrence Arts Center- no working family (both parents work) can utilize most of their daily services, especially during the school year, because the hours are bankers' hours - everything starts too late for most employed people. So, it becomes a tax-payer funded service for those wealthy enough that only one parent works, with some exceptions. I love the Arts Center and use it when I can manage to schedule the kids into a class, so don't get me wrong, but it would be a huge stretch to suggest scheduling there is great for working families. I'm not being negative about this event or the arts center, I'm just pointing out what I see as a problem. The little space in the alley behind the Arts Center is way more community friendly.

Gail Grant 4 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree. I would love to buy some of the Van Go art and donate some money to the event but paying $120 for my husband and me just to get in won't be reasonable amount before buying any art (not to mention the babysitting cost as we couldn't afford getting the kids too). I also fully agree with the comment on the Art Center. I wish they would offer more activity and classes after 5:00 to kids and not only on weekend or mornings.

4 years, 9 months ago

Hi All- "What Floats Your Boat" is Van Go's major fundraising event of the year. The organization offers many other opportunities to support programming by purchasing kids art. The permanent gallery is open M-F, 1-5p.m. In addition, please mark your calendar for "Adornment" a free event offering gifts for the holidays, music and refreshments (11/27, 7p.m.) & "Have a Heart" a free valentine's show and sale (2/4, 5p.m.) In addition, there are lower priced events quarterly through the "Van Club" group. Check us out on facebook to keep up with all info, or sign up to be on our mail list at www.van-go.org. Hope this helps! Thank you!

Gail Grant 4 years, 9 months ago

Too bad...M-F, 1-5p.m is when most of us are working Good luck in the fundraising