Archive for Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rural Eudora man taken to hospital after rollover accident

June 13, 2010

An 18-year-old rural Eudora man was taken to a Kansas City-area hospital Sunday morning after a rollover accident southeast of Lawrence.

According to Sgt. Steve Lewis with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office, police were dispatched around 7 a.m. to the 800 block of E. 1650 Rd. Casey George was driving northbound in a two-door passenger car when he was in a rollover accident and ejected from the car. He was transported via ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital.

George was listed in stable condition at Overland Park Regional Hospital later Sunday morning.

Comments

beobachter 4 years, 10 months ago

Odds are with seat belt on, he wouldn't have been ejected. Plain common sense, which is now mandated by state law. Not sure of exact date, but definitely by July 1st.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 10 months ago

You're playing with fire there, beobachter, some posters in here insist that it is their "right" to be ejected and crushed!

Squish!

Cheryl Hart Hunsinger 4 years, 10 months ago

Do you two wear your set belts when you are in a car? Do you know the kid? I do, so do everyone a favor and shut up if you don't know him or what happened. Most men/boys, I know don't wear a set belt. So unless the two of you wear a set belt, you have no room to talk. He is a good kid, he doesn't need someone, that doesn't know him, talking about him after an accident. So next time you want to comment on something you know nothing about, think twice. It could be you or your family that is getting talked about on the internet. A long time friend or the family!!!!

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 10 months ago

"Do you two wear your set belts when you are in a car?"

Yes! Always! Every single time! Because it freaks me out real bad to be in a car without it on!

Once was passenger in a flip and roll at 65 mph. Minor cuts on my wrists, and the driver was uninjured, thanks to seat belts. Oh, and for a PS, after that I always wanted to be the driver - I thought he was driving my car to fast.

And of course I wore it every single time I drove the airport shuttle to KCI. But, I never did bitch at the paying passengers for not wearing one. They obviously trusted my driving.

beerbaron03 4 years, 10 months ago

Is that the bit of road just south of K10?

Jessie Stoltenow 4 years, 10 months ago

No, it's off of 458 and 1055... if you're heading south on 1055 toward Baldwin, it's after the first curve, but before the 2nd. It was our driveway that he flipped over. I'm just glad to hear from friends of his that he will be ok.

nut_case 4 years, 10 months ago

You are right, Star...people are stupid about this, and every time I see a comment like yours, I am reminded just how much so.

1) The article makes no mention of anyone else other than the unfortunate driver being injured, so I don't know where you think the "reckless endangerment of the general public" comes in.

2) If you are in a crash which is bad enough to need a seat belt, chances are exceptionally good the car is an uncontrolled hunk of metal at that point anyway. It doesn't matter where you are in the car, or outside it. Even assuming the car did land on it's wheels after the rollover.

3) You're assuming someone who is 'out of control' enough to be in a crash, would somehow snap out of this delirium during the crash then regain control of the partially wrecked car. That simply doesn't happen.

Seatbelts do two things...the offer some protection for the wearer in most, but not all accident scenarios and they provide income for the government through "click it or ticket" legislation.

The argument could be made they also embolden drivers to go faster and be more careless as they now feel they are more 'protected'. In reality, if the government wanted 'protection of the general public' they would mandate 6" steel spikes be welded at strategic points inside each car. After all, how would you drive a car knowing you are belted and surrounded by 15 airbags versus a car with steel spikes sticking out of the steering wheel and doors?

Lenette Hamm 4 years, 10 months ago

I love the way this went from a report about a young man being injured to arguments over seat belts. Please... regardless of what happened, do ANY of you give a damn about him? This happened right in front of my house. It's a shame, no matter how you look at it and I hope he'll recover.

cigard 4 years, 10 months ago

I live aobut 300yrd north of the wreck. Over the last few years we have seen our share of tragic accidents. This part of the road, that I call the "Lawernce/Baldwin Speedway", is straight with a couple of gentle hills. With all the bicycles, motorycles, pickup trucks and heavy trucks speeding past my front door all day & night, I'm actually quite surprised there aren't more wrecks. We need to widen the road and get more county sheriff patrols for speeders.

Crc

juststrugglin 4 years, 10 months ago

Good luck with getting more county sheriff patrols, I live on the Kansas Speed way,(15th Street). You have the "outhouse", short cut to Lawrence/Eudora and now to I-70. There is not enough officers to go around and then there is the ones that would rather hang out at a buddies house, instead of patroling. But that is a whole other story. I hope this young man makes a full recovery, regardless if he was wearing a seat belt or not.