Archive for Thursday, June 10, 2010

Student plans to file complaint after being confronted by Eudora police

Police pulled Taser while he was working in friend’s yard, he says

Brendan Martinez was mowing a friend’s yard last week when a Eudora police officer ran up to him with a Taser drawn and then frisked and cuffed him against this fence, Martinez says. Now the Johnson County Community College art student is looking into filing a complaint with the city.

June 10, 2010

Student victim of possible racial profiling

A Johnson County Community College student was getting to work early on some lawn maintenance in his neighborhood when police approached and handcuffed him. The student believes part of the problem had to do with racial profiling. Enlarge video

— Johnson County Community College student Brendan Martinez is always looking for ways to make extra money. Recently, he was asked to mow the lawn of a family friend while they were away on vacation.

Martinez says not long after arriving at the home about 6 a.m. June 2, he was confronted by a Eudora police officer responding to a suspicious activities call. Martinez was in the backyard of the home when the officer arrived.

“As I got to the back of the fence, I turned the mower off to get the weed eater,” Martinez said. “I saw this cop running at me with a Taser, pointing it over the fence and telling me to stop and come to the fence.”

It’s an incident that Martinez says not only embarrassed him, it also landed him in handcuffs. After explaining why he was there, Martinez said, the officer let him go. Martinez isn’t so much mad because the officer was called, but how he was treated once the officer arrived at the home.

He believes this is a prime example of racial profiling.

“I think it’s a small-town attitude where they’re not used to being around African-Americans,” Martinez said. “It is sad, but people just need to learn just to treat other people with courtesy.”

The city of Eudora wouldn’t confirm to the Lawrence Journal-World whether a Taser was pulled. And the police chief would not comment on the incident.

City Administrator John Harrenstein did issue a statement:

“At this time, no formal complaint has been filed with the Eudora police department regarding the situation in question. After a formal complaint is received, the department will conduct a routine investigation of the matter according to existing protocols. As a public service organization, the city of Eudora proactively seeks to meet the needs of citizens through the provision of public safety. According to the city’s standards, these services are provided equally regardless of race, creed, religion, or ethnicity.”

Martinez, who said the officer later apologized, is now seeking a civil rights attorney and plans to file a formal complaint against the officer.

Comments

LadyJ 3 years, 8 months ago

So this story is two months old, did he ever file a complaint

HaRDNoK9 3 years, 8 months ago

I feel sorry for this kid's experience. I don't care for racism or discrimination of any kind. Apparently, Eudora is known for this. Okay, whatever. Is the friend whose lawn that was being mowed ignorant to this fact? Would it have behooved him to let his neighbors know that they should expect a stranger to be taking care of the property while they were away? Or perhaps even make an introduction? I have taken care of a friends' property before, in an affluent "white" neighborhood. I was introduced to the next door neighbor before he left. I had no problems. When I was about 12 years old, I took care of a friends' cat. I was not introduced to the neighbors, who were not informed that I would be about, and the police were called. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Eudora had a city militia years and years ago, The CPA, (Cattleman's Protection Assn.) I think it was called, that aimed to protect the citizens from frequent raids perpetrated by the cattle drivers of the day. It kept the city and it's inhabitants safe for generations. Eudora is a VIGILANT community and it's traditions are steeped in it. In Lawrence, many people might not call the cops if a person was seen climbing out of the window with a TV.

Conservative2011 3 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence citizens posting on the LJW (Liberals) "Tonganoxie is backward and inbred" "Eudora is backward and racist" "Perry is really populated by one family"

But the wonderful, elite liberals of Lawrence are so superior to everyone else. So much smarter than others, blah, blah, blah. Get over yourselves people. Lawrence is not better than the rest of Kansas, no matter how much you believe it so.

keira 3 years, 8 months ago

Curious to know...

If it were a black officer and a white teen in this story... would so many of you be crying 'racism' or would you tell the white kid to quite trying to get attention and a quick payday from the city.

I promise you this would not be such a story and the LJW would not have even taken the time to publish it.

Talk about racist.....

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

Nope, not yet.

The cop shoulda tasered him for mowing at 6am.

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Ok; can we move on to another news story ;;...................

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 10 months ago

Few people in these parts have empathy for those who get abused by law enforcement for civil rights reasons. It might be worse on campus than in the rest of Lawrence, because the KU school cops are totally, corrupted in the pocket of KU's unprofessional and dishonest Human Resources staff who routinely persecute and criminalize employees for civil- rights related reasons. The HR people, supposedly the office on campus charged with protecting equal rights and confidentiality, brutally profiled me last year, causing me excruciating pain, then lied about it and hid the evidence, retaliatorily turning the tables by putting a false racism allegation against me that was railroaded into my file without following published university policy. A KU cop even deep-sixed my profiling/hate-speech report. My experience of KU and Lawrence has been of a total, living, bigoted nightmare.

verity 3 years, 10 months ago

Enough has been said about the situation and I won't add more.

However I want to speak to the people who are always accusing people of making a complaint or suing over discrimination so they can get money. From what I have seen, I probably wouldn't do that thinking I was going to make money. It's a tough process, often going on for years and taking a lot of time appearing in court, etc., and even if a judgement is made, seems like it rarely get paid out. Or you could get stuck with paying the other person's attorney's fees and court costs.

The only reason I would put myself through that would be for a matter of principle and/or to stop it from happening to others. I can't speak to racial discrimination, but I have experienced a number of instances of discrimination because I am a woman and some sexual harassment. It is degrading and humiliating. I'm sure racial discrimination is a lot worse and I can see somebody finally deciding they have just had enough and are going to do something about it.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope Brendan wins his case, I hope the officers involved will face some sort of consequence as well. These small town flatfoots need to learn a lesson.

Another contributing factor was the small town nosy neighbor syndrome. The neighbors probably called the cops cuz they "saw some colored kid sneaking around their neighbor's yard". Whatever happened to minding your own business?

blackfox 3 years, 10 months ago

I just want to say that YES, this person has a very good case. I hope this will change the attitudes of the Eudora cops.

kathy white 3 years, 10 months ago

I USED to live in Eudora until my son (who is bi racial) visited for the week end. He borrowed my car (with my permission) to go less than two blocks to the convenience store and was stopped by police, harrassed and frisked. We now live in Lawrence again. Don't miss the profiling!

blackfox 3 years, 10 months ago

If I was the suspect, I would have made comments to the cop also! What, a comment is a threat to a cop now? I dont get why cops feel like citizens need to respect them to a higher extent than just your average citizen?

hootman31 3 years, 10 months ago

Let the record speak for itself: how many Caucasians’ mowing lawns in Eudora have been approached with Taser's pulled?

The new police chief better clean house or he won’t be police chief for long; same goes for the mayor.

Venom 3 years, 10 months ago

gogoplata, how do you know he didn't

"How difficult would it have been for the stupid cop to just let the guy know there was a call from a neighbor and ask him what he was doing there"

How do you know that the suspect didn't make remarks that escalated the problem to the point it got. You don't know because you weren't there ! Neither was the LJ world reporter that wrote the story.

ashamedofyou 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure....the police ALWAYS do right, just like the news, any news ALWAYS reports the exact truth, and all good kids ALWAYS eat their vegetables. Of COURSE thats not what I think.

I'm not saying the police never handle anything wrong, I'm saying based on the information in the article, the officer was right and justified in his actions. If he had tazered this kid, I would've never commented. I just find it irritating that a handful of the people that comment on these articles are so anti-police, anti-government, anti-religion, anti-anything that they make blanket statements that all police, government, church, guns, etc, etc, etc, the list goes on forever, are bad. To me that is the same mentality as saying all black people are drug dealers, all white people are yuppies, and all mexicans are illegals. Its not an educated statement, it's giving in to a stereotype. I had a boss once who was a really sh**ty manager, I guess my boss now that I REALLY enjoy working for, I have to start hating because ALL BOSSES ARE BAD. That mentality makes no sense.

You have your opinion and that's great -- since the "typical" cop doesn't care about any citizen or their property, I sure you hope you get one of those "not-typical" type of officer if you ever need help some day and that he's not "typical" and just writes off your problem as a "whining jerk" making a complaint. Sorry, I guess I just made a judgement against you without knowing you at all. Darn stereotypes.

75x55 3 years, 10 months ago

Why the assumption that the issue is "race" instead of "a-hole cop"?

Could it be because the payout will arrive easier and in larger denomination bills?

gogoplata 3 years, 10 months ago

I could care less about the racial bs. How difficult would it have been for the stupid cop to just let the guy know there was a call from a neighbor and ask him what he was doing there. I can't stand the attitude of most cops. These turds forget they leeches living off the taxes of people with real jobs.

blackfox 3 years, 10 months ago

Well "ashamedofyou", doesnt the press always report the facts? So you dont think that the cops can or every do anything wrong?

ashamedofyou 3 years, 10 months ago

I love how a handfull of you can talk negatively and make snap judgements based on absolutely NO personal knowledge. Make blanket statements about it. "typical cops" "humiliate and then ask questions" but yet you find offense to my statement regarding your level of stupidity? worthless

ashamedofyou 3 years, 10 months ago

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, I must say that it is quite refreshing to realize that I'm not the only one here who smells something fishy about this "racial profiling" claim ! Thank you, to all the previous posters who are intelligent enough to recognize bull$hit when they read it!!!

kimk 3 years, 10 months ago

Probably new policy of the new chief: pull taser, handcuff and humiliate, then ask questions.

blackfox 3 years, 10 months ago

Typical cops. Always over reacting! How could they think they were in danger by a person puching a mower or using a weed eater?? I have met some of the Eudora cops and they are arogant as can be!! This action may change things.

Jean1183 3 years, 10 months ago

And just how are you "quite sure" of that?

ivalueamerica 3 years, 10 months ago

ashamed, you seem to miss the point...if how they detain and question someone is different, especially more harsh with a person of color than with a person who is white, it is racism.

I am quite sure a well dressed white boy mowing a lawn would not have faced the tazer and cuffs.

Jean1183 3 years, 10 months ago

Oops! All I did was quote that from the article and my post got deleted.........you're in trouble now.

But.....ivalueamerica can personally attack me and it's OK. Wonder who "they" know at LJW?

ashamedofyou 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you Jaywalker!

I still don't understand how this is a racial issue. Anytime the police question or detain someone of color does that mean they are racially profiling? That truly makes no sense to me. Just because you're black, or brown, or purple or flippin green doesn't mean anytime you have interaction with the police you are being singled out? I was sitting in my car in an empty parking lot waiting to meet up with my parents who were in Lawrence for the evening and wanted to see their grandson and the police stopped and asked what I was doing, should I have screamed racial profiling because they were DOING THEIR JOBS?!

Jean1183 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with jaywalker and why was my post pulled? I only quoted from the article. Others have done much worse including ivalueamerica who directly slurs me for my post.

What is it that Brendan wants to accomplish by filing a civil rights suit? Does he want an apology from the officer....sounds like he got that. Does he want the officer reprimanded? Fired? A change in the procedures? Then he should file a formal complaint with the police department or the city. I do believe there are channels for investigation into such matters.

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

For the love.... mountains out of mole hills. Someone calls police because they see someone they don't recognize in their neighbor's yard messin' with their belongings. At 6 freakin' a.m. Police arrive to find someone moving between power equipment - he was NOT operating anything at the time of the officer's arrival. It's still dark or at least twilight so the officer comes prepared because his safety counts, too. Suspect is detained for safety and procedure - just as he should be - questioned - released - and apologized to for the misunderstanding and inconvenience.
That's it. Where's the "civil rights violation"?? This is ridiculous.

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm with 50, not enough information.

And what's up with the small town ignorant rant? Are inhabitants in/from small towns not smart/intelligent? How does one make that leap? Was Einstein from a huge town? Talk about profiling.

Call me a “rube” and a “hick,” but I’d lot rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it. (Will Rogers)

md 3 years, 10 months ago

Fast-you do not show a grasp on people and reality. You do not go in to an unknown situation not ready to defend your self. You must always be wary no matter how benign the situation may look! People that have not held a job were your life is on the line have no way to understand. As far as the race card-- remember Obamas friend? Every body asumed it was a rasist cop. The tapes came out and the truth came to light!

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

I am a first rate cop-hater, yet, considering all the information provided here, the pig did absolutely nothing out of line, period.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

How in the hell does this incident make Eudora look bad ? So he pulled his taser out !!! So is that the equivalent of using it on the kid ? I suppose it would better serve the city to just ignore the call, and do nothing ? Then you'd all be cryin the blues if you got burglarized , wouldn't you ? What a bunch of crybabys... this is not even an issue, yet you IDIOTS are doing your best to make it one aren't you? Get a fvcking life, a$$holes.

fastdragger 3 years, 10 months ago

All I can say, is that for an officer to pull his tazer out, he first MUST feel threatened for his well being. I truly don't know how that could be. It's just some more of the mentality that we have for officers in Eudora today. Maybe they should hire some cops that have a little more of what it takes to get the job done. Maybe talking to the "kid" before such extreme actions could have resulted in a much better outcome for everybody. Oh well, it's just one more thing to make Eudora look bad. I'm used to it. I've seen it for 39 yrs and it's not going to change until WE change it.....

md 3 years, 10 months ago

I guess the race baiters here have no concept of the potential dangers a cop faces.You are trained to protect your self.Only the naive and ignorant would not understand this.He did his job. I moved to Eudora ten years ago.The people Iknow well enough to call friends are not racist. Having said that I do believe this is the most racist town I have lived in. My son was bullied in the school.One day an older kid offered him a ride from school.He and other kids protected and accepted him.He was brought up to not be racist and respect people.He started coming home talking nazi type stuff.We were heart broken.He came home one day with a paper for me to sign.It was kkk ap! They said he was`nt of age and needed our permission.The ap said they were a group who taught against hate and violence.Eventualy he realized he really wasnt that way and turned away from them.They have harrased him since.He is scared.He had two friends that were black gay women. They were at the quick shop about two am. My son went in and when he came out two huge ex racist friends were sexualy harrasing the two. He tried to stop them. At about three am we had to go to the emergancy ward. He was in very bad shape. The police were very kind and went way out of there way to get the guys. One even persued it off duty-driving to Lawrence and Topeka visiting with witneses to get them to come forward, none would. Yes they have a lot of rednecks here. We still have to deal with them. Now to the people that cry racism of the police just keep profiling. My dealings with them in a race situation found them very impressive.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Why doesn't your whining little sympathetic newspaper ask Leonard Pitts for his racist opinion? You think he might actually be smart enough to realize the only racism going on here is a black being racist towards a white ?

Venom 3 years, 10 months ago

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

The guy admitted that the officer apologized, as well as doing no bodily harm of any kind, and yet this punk still hires a civil rights lawyer ? What are they hoping to get ? They have no case whatsoever ! , yet they still wish to attack the white man ! Suppose it had been a black cop in a black part of town ? It is that attitude exactly which connotates what a nier is ! This kid is nothing more than a racist, calling the kettle black. This is just plain chicken$hit, a typical nier, not because of the color of his skin, but because of his "get even with whitey" attitude. Yeah, this is a racial incident alright, a clean cut case of reverse racism ! Who in the hell raised this boy to be a racist ? Why this great society we live in today !!! This whole story is a bunch of non-newsworthy bull$hit.

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

Here is one for ya. A girl I know (latino) got a summons to appear for a ticket she had not paid. She didn't show in court, so an arrest warrant was issued. She told the cops that it could not have been her and that her other friend (Asian girl) had borrowed the car that night. (Lie) The Asian girl was arrested getting off a plane, with her less that year old baby, and put in jail with a 3500 bond. They couldn't make bond, so she was in jail for two weeks. THe only reason the judge didn't throw the whole thing in the sewer is because the officer "thinks the girl that he issued the ticket to was Asian" It still isn't over, her trial is coming up. This is Johnson county.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Lets suppose, for a moment that it had been a white person, in this exact same case. Would that be racial profiling? Why is it when a black person finds themself caught up in contact with law enforcement in any predominantly white community, it is immediately labeled some sort of racial incident? This entire incident amounts to absolutely nothing ! Any time any person is detained outside of their automobile it is the officers descretion to handcuff the suspect until he has reason to believe he is relatively safe. No one knows what the kid may have said or done during investigation. It sounds as if this kid is trying to be an oppurtunist, trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, and no judge in his right mind should give him anything but a good long lecture on the difference between good law enforcement and perceived racial profiling. For the record, I personally have had far too much contact with the police, far more than anyone should have in their lifetime, and it is my belief that no less than 60% of law enforcement are control addicts who have a lust for power because of some unfortunate childhood incident that caused them to adopt a "get even" mentality,and, subsequently have no business being in a position of power.

prairierose54 3 years, 10 months ago

In small town America.......

If the only people to witness this this were the officer and Martinez all I can say is good luck!

As I was told by a cop after I "did" stop at a stop sign.

He said I didn't. Then he said it was my word against his. It sucks but he was right.

That's when I realized what kind of power law enforcement officers have if you don't have a witness for your side.

Bingo.....the judge woulnd't even listen to what I have to say. He told me that "His officer would not make the mistake of saying that I didn't stop".

I paid the fine. :(

LawrenceTownie 3 years, 10 months ago

I have lived in Eudora for only two years and have not noticed the police doing anything here except trying to catch speeders in front of the schools. That is not to say it did not happen the way the young man claims, I do believe him, sounds like racial profiling to me, a former Administrative Justice major at Washburn. I think it would have been smart for the absent home owner to have told his/her neighbors they were leaving and had arranged to have the lawn mowed by a friend in their absence. But today sometimes we don't even know our next door neighbors. I would not have suspected a thief at 6:00 am, maybe 6:00 pm. I think most thieves are catching up on their zzz's around 6:00 am from the night before of plundering.

50YearResident 3 years, 10 months ago

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about what really was happening on this supicious persons police call. We all need to wait for more information. No wonder the officer thought someone was up to no good, after all it was 6 AM and how many people mowing lawns start at that hour? Don't forget this man did not live at the residence and the neighbors did not recognize him either as a visitor to the residence so the call was made. When the people that are on vacation get home they should thank the neighbors for watching their house. Seems like it doesn't take much to call racial profiling now. I bet the call would have been called in no matter what race was involved. 6 AM, look there is someone in the neighbors shed and the neighbors are gone, call the police.

Richard Payton 3 years, 10 months ago

Who doesn't like Tom & Jerry? I like the shirt the young adult was wearing in the photo.

Liberty275 3 years, 10 months ago

I can understand having the taser drawn, or even a sidearm, when going into a potentially dangerous situation, but handcuffing the guy was way out of line unless he did something to make the cop suspicious he might run. All we are seeing is one side of the story so it's hard to make any real judgment.

Kudos to the kid for finding work over the summer.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 10 months ago

Probably, the guy hadn't heard the officer announce himself because the mower was running and the officer had drawn his tazer because the guy didn't respond when he announced himself.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 10 months ago

Let's review:

"“As I got to the back of the fence, I turned the mower off to get the weed eater,” Martinez said. “I saw this cop running at me with a Taser,"

So, he turns off the mower, and goes to get the weed eater, and sees the cop running at him with a tazer. How much time do you think passed between when he turned off the mower and the cop running at him? Because, it sounds to me that the cop had been there a little while already to have located the guy in the back of the house and drawn his tazer.

Just guessing that the cop found him in the back because the mower was running when he got there. Or, did the cop jump out off the car with tazer drawn, and rush to the back of the house, immediately upon arriving?

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

In light of all the facts I've learned about the Eudora P.D. (from reading these posts, anyway !) it seems to me that the intelligent thing for a black person to do in this situation, like it or not, would simply be to call the Eudora police ahead of time and let them know that I would be there at a specified time and date to mow the yard at that address. There's no better way to prevent any possible problems.

juststrugglin 3 years, 10 months ago

For the people who do not live in Eudora, you need not speak of our town or our police department. For us who live here we are able to speak freely about both. Living here for 25 years now, and knowing of the things that have happened in this town, I feel the officer acted in his best interest. On the comments of Eudora be racist, there is people in this town who are racist, oh well, can't change their thought process, as a whole the town is not. You who are running at the mouth must not frequent our town. Our police department has the training as any other police department. Let your home be robbed and then you will say the police department was not doing their job, or the neighbor should have called. Think before you open your mouth.......

05121784 3 years, 10 months ago

POLICE STATE 4: The Rise of FEMA by Alex Jones.

This is not an isolated incident. It only comes to the media's attention because the young man is willing to do something about it, i.e. hire a lawyer and file a complaint. My heart pours out for the low-income persons, who are common, helpless victims of the police. These subjected persons cannot hire a lawyer to defend their innocence; thus, they are at the mercy of our corrupt judicial system. "Your bail is set at $10,000. Next, please."

br549 3 years, 10 months ago

They should have thrown the book at him. Look at that Tee shirt, long hair, totally un professional attire. Pollution of the air with smoking equipment. Noise pollution. Just put him under the jail. Wheres the 1099. Where are the Gores when you need them. Eudora has a no riff raft ordinance posted. I bet he doesn't come back unless he's dressed in a three piece suit. Jerk. What does he expect. That pirate look gets you no where.......... I know.

Freedom? that's just some people talking

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

For a comparison. In my current back building, there were some items belonging to a local businessman. My handyman had mentioned to him, he should come get them. I missed a warning call, and the businessman showed up, knocked on my door to let me know he was getting into the shed to get them. Now, I know this man. My handyman has a key, he has free access to my place (we are friends). He let the man make a key to get in. (Yes, the area is that 'small town' he'd do that, lol..geez facepalm) He looked to see what was in there (it had been quite a while) to see if he needed to send a high school boy over to get it later..yes, that was the plan.

He told me, he'd have the young man knock, to let me know he was getting in there. I told him no need. He said, that was his policy, just so I'd know someone was back there. I had given him my phone..just in case I couldn't hear him knock, because it occurred to me the kid might not be able to tell which was what, and that happened to be the case on a few things and he had to ask.

This easily could have been a similar situation. On man, one kid, showing up at my place, different times, in trucks..taking probably a grand worth of things out of that building. Just regular trucks, not here before. If I had been gone, my neighbors might have been suspicious too.

local_guy 3 years, 10 months ago

anyone who has anything positive to say about Eudora Police is absolutely ignorant. They are racist, they profile, and I've personally been told if I'm seen in town, I WILL be arrested. The wonderful thing about that is, I have family members with the department.. I'm just not the right color to be accepted by that side of the family. So, why dont you people all tell me how wrong I am about it, since I've been dealing with it my whole life and you know nothing of these officers personal lives, thank you very much. GO GET 'EM BRENDAN!!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

"So the cops were called. Good Job Eudora Police. So the tazer was pulled. The officer thought he was a trespasser and guarded himself. Would this young man preferred a gun? I feel if you are going on vacation or just going away on business that if you notify your neighbors that you will be gone so they can keep an eye out is a good idea. This way they also know if you have asked anyone to mow or get mail or newspapers etc for you. Things like this would not occur then. Im glad our police dept was looking after us. " Buggie ~~~ Ditto..at least that much of it

Stop and think of this scenario. If you read, the young man was at a break point. Mower was NOT running when the officer arrived. Who knows exactly when the call was placed or by who, and what happened at the time they called. My guess is, he wasn't mowing at the time the call was placed either. Imagine this if you will...neighbor wakes, or walks through a room, or just happens to drive up or by at the time they SEE this young man, IN someone they know's back yard. They don't know this young man, but they see that he's got their lawn mower out, or they just know this looks wrong, as this is the time they are usually at work.

Wouldn't you want your friend or neighbor to be part of that 'neighbor watch' like people have been putting up signs for over 25 years now? Regardless of this man's race? Yes, I think you would. As for pulling a taser. How many times, in I don't care what situation, has some officer been shot when approaching a car, suspect, or just walking around a corner of into a house with someone who has meant them harm?

This officer was alone. The best deterrent for his own protection, to mentally encourage ANY PERSON he was approaching to not do anything out of line....was to draw the most non life threatening, yet effective weapon as a show of force. He did not draw a pistol. He did not call this man insulting names. He simply made it clear, that he was prepared to act already if the man had any intention to do him harm or not cooperate. In this day..just like it was in the mid 1800's if you recall...it's better to show you have intent and head something off before it starts, than be caught off guard.

And for the record, a house I sold down here has a storage shed in back. Right after I sold it, the new owner told me, someone tried to break in by the hinges, but they were so old and rusty, they couldn't. (non typical shed building, very old metals, sturdier than your backyard type in town). Doing more than they did would have made too much noise the owner suspected, so they quit, or they were kids who didn't know to do more. He had tools, mowers etc, and the town is small enough, people knew who moved in there and would know what he owned. Prior, the old man had had little to steal.

I don't fault any officer for protecting himself, ever. Period.

coldplay 3 years, 10 months ago

If my neighbor was mowing at 6am, I woulda shot him, black, white, purple, yellow, or brown.

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the bigger issue here is....why is someone calling the police about someone mowing a lawn? I'm guessing he wasn't mowing yet...otherwise the person calling about it should probably be handcuffed for excessive stupidity.

Buggie 3 years, 10 months ago

Has anyone checked the Schools here in Eudora? The story above about the family being harassed and followed is hogwash. Just fueling a fire. There are quite a few African Americans that live here in Eudora. Some are my friends. Eudora is not racist by any means. I have lived here for only 3 years and my parents for 16 years. Everyone in this community pulls together and lives peacefully. So the cops were called. Good Job Eudora Police. So the tazer was pulled. The officer thought he was a trespasser and guarded himself. Would this young man preferred a gun? I feel if you are going on vacation or just going away on business that if you notify your neighbors that you will be gone so they can keep an eye out is a good idea. This way they also know if you have asked anyone to mow or get mail or newspapers etc for you. Things like this would not occur then. Im glad our police dept was looking after us. This young man needs to find a different line of work and also be thankful that the police were quickly being responsive to his friends house. Grow up and quit playing the race card. Thank the officer for being concerned for your friends.

jarretwp 3 years, 10 months ago

musbhiorlo 3 years, 10 months ago

sounds like the police officer may have over-reacted, and now Brendan is over-reacting.

gop 3 years, 10 months ago

50YearResident 3 years, 10 months ago

Looks like this story is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Resident is on vacation, non resident is seen entering shed or garage and taking out residents property (mower) police are called. When police arrive mower is not running and non resident is back in shed or garage taking out more equipment (weed eater). This has an appearance to police of home buglary and appropriote action is taken. Then race card is played. Same action would have been used regardless of who was intering property with homeowner gone.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Wasn't Eudora know as the Meth HQ for KS at one time?

Only if they had relatives and connections in Cherokee County.

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, when I know folks are gone, I always check out the garage. I take whatever I think I can pawn, and then mow the grass. I figure that is the least I can do. I like to do it early in the morning too, so it will wake up all the neighbors.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

This does not surprise me about Eudora at all. I've worked with and had encounters with residents of that town. Each and every one of them was prejudiced and the majority under-educated.

Wasn't Eudora know as the Meth HQ for KS at one time?

imastinker 3 years, 10 months ago

I have no problem with the neighbor calling police or the police responding.

Having been involved as a third party in these situations, I have found that more often than not, the officer involved behaved correctly and the other party is upset with the outcome. I had lots of incidents where a person complained about the conduct of an officer becuase of a speeding ticket, only to find out that we had video of the whole thing.

I have a lot of respect for law enforcement and the people that do it. In this situation there was either a case of a person who was argumentative and uncooperative when questioned or what was portrayed in the article. I have no idea which it is, but would caution anyone here against taking the whole situation at face value.

I hope the person makes a complaint and there is an investigation. I hope the results are made public.

c_doc77 3 years, 10 months ago

The issue is not whether someone called the police. You see something out of ordinary and call the cops - great. You did your civic duty and perhaps helped protect your neighbors property. But once the cop gets there, he has no reason to pull out a weapon until and unless he determines that this man was engaging in criminal activity.

No one can prove the actions of the officer were racially motivated, but if I was in this guy's shoes, I'd probably be thinking the same thing, and I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable assumption. A black man in a white town is simply trying to mow a friend's lawn, and the police pull a taser on him and cuff him? Come on. There is no way to justify that, even if ethnicity wasn't a factor.

oldvet 3 years, 10 months ago

A neighbor sees an unknown person in the back yard and calls the police. The police respond and investigate.

I have two neighbors who will be gone on vacation this summer for nearly a month each and both have told me that there should be no people in/around the house. If I see someone in their yards or in their houses, I will call the police...

Play the race card, Brendan.

thisiknow 3 years, 10 months ago

Jean1183 3 years, 10 months ago

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

I want to make sure everyone knows the Tazer was pulled, not used. And if someone was mowing at 6AM, someone might have called the police.

amesn 3 years, 10 months ago

O...M...G....I have heard 'stories' of Eudora's welcoming committee. An African-American friend of mine once told me she and her 3 young children were visiting a friend in Eudora and a pickup full of 20-something twits hollered names consisting of you know what and told my friend to 'get the f out of our town.' When they did pile into their vehicle to depart Eudora they were followed by the same pick up tailgating her and continuing to yell nasty things at her and her sweet children. I'm not saying all of Eudora is like this but this is only one of several stories I have heard involving race related situations. Often I notice the Confederate flag displayed several places in that town. I am in no way attempting to profile Eudora as a white trash sheet wearing society but if the shoe fits...

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

Good for him. Somebody mowing a lawn gives absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for the police to confront them.