Archive for Thursday, June 10, 2010

Student plans to file complaint after being confronted by Eudora police

Police pulled Taser while he was working in friend’s yard, he says

Brendan Martinez was mowing a friend’s yard last week when a Eudora police officer ran up to him with a Taser drawn and then frisked and cuffed him against this fence, Martinez says. Now the Johnson County Community College art student is looking into filing a complaint with the city.

June 10, 2010

Student victim of possible racial profiling

A Johnson County Community College student was getting to work early on some lawn maintenance in his neighborhood when police approached and handcuffed him. The student believes part of the problem had to do with racial profiling. Enlarge video

— Johnson County Community College student Brendan Martinez is always looking for ways to make extra money. Recently, he was asked to mow the lawn of a family friend while they were away on vacation.

Martinez says not long after arriving at the home about 6 a.m. June 2, he was confronted by a Eudora police officer responding to a suspicious activities call. Martinez was in the backyard of the home when the officer arrived.

It’s an incident that Martinez says not only embarrassed him, it also landed him in handcuffs. After explaining why he was there, Martinez said, the officer let him go. Martinez isn’t so much mad because the officer was called, but how he was treated once the officer arrived at the home.

He believes this is a prime example of racial profiling.

“I think it’s a small-town attitude where they’re not used to being around African-Americans,” Martinez said. “It is sad, but people just need to learn just to treat other people with courtesy.”

The city of Eudora wouldn’t confirm to the Lawrence Journal-World whether a Taser was pulled. And the police chief would not comment on the incident.

City Administrator John Harrenstein did issue a statement:

“At this time, no formal complaint has been filed with the Eudora police department regarding the situation in question. After a formal complaint is received, the department will conduct a routine investigation of the matter according to existing protocols. As a public service organization, the city of Eudora proactively seeks to meet the needs of citizens through the provision of public safety. According to the city’s standards, these services are provided equally regardless of race, creed, religion, or ethnicity.”

Martinez, who said the officer later apologized, is now seeking a civil rights attorney and plans to file a formal complaint against the officer.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 6 months ago

Good for him. Somebody mowing a lawn gives absolutely NO excuse whatsoever for the police to confront them.

amesn 4 years, 6 months ago

O...M...G....I have heard 'stories' of Eudora's welcoming committee. An African-American friend of mine once told me she and her 3 young children were visiting a friend in Eudora and a pickup full of 20-something twits hollered names consisting of you know what and told my friend to 'get the f out of our town.' When they did pile into their vehicle to depart Eudora they were followed by the same pick up tailgating her and continuing to yell nasty things at her and her sweet children. I'm not saying all of Eudora is like this but this is only one of several stories I have heard involving race related situations. Often I notice the Confederate flag displayed several places in that town. I am in no way attempting to profile Eudora as a white trash sheet wearing society but if the shoe fits...

Deja Coffin 4 years, 6 months ago

I remember seeing teenagers in trucks cruise Mass. street all the time with Confederate flags displayed in their windows. Nice try but Eudora isn't the only town with ignorant people.... as we can see, Lawrence has them too.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

I want to make sure everyone knows the Tazer was pulled, not used. And if someone was mowing at 6AM, someone might have called the police.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 6 months ago

My father frequently mowed at 6AM when the day was still cool before it became overly warm. No one was mowing under someone else's windows. it was a weekday.. To my knowledge there is no ordinance preventing mowing before a certain time of day. If it were a simple noise complaint why the Tazer and cuffs? No, my guess is that someone saw a black man in a neighbor's yard at a strange hour; a neighbor they knew was out of town. They jumped to conclusions, called the police and the police jumped to the same conclusions and came in loaded for bear. This is racial profiling at it's best.

Miguy96b 4 years, 6 months ago

The major difference I see is the fact that your father was mowing his own yard. Thus I'm sure the neighbor had absolutely no clue that someone would be mowing the yard that was not the owner. So instead of a noise complaint it was probably a burglary complaint. Along those lines the Eudora police department cannot control what kind of calls it gets in and whether they are from bigoted individuals or not and it could have very will been reported that he could be armed thus the police officer had a reason to brandish at least a taser if in fact he was armed. Unfortunately so far the taser claim is only one sided and it will be hard to verify. I am in no way saying that everything was or was not kosher about this incident but it does not help the man's case that once the officer found out he was not a burglar as the report might have said he was he released him. Rather than racial profiling this story seems rather one sided and more like racial baiting to me.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 6 months ago

Yea, it's quite common for burglars to mow the grass before they do the burgling.

Miguy96b 4 years, 6 months ago

The article never said it was apparent he was mowing. In fact it said the mower was off and he was going back for the weed eater. I dunno but since neither of us were there it is rather hard to fathom what the officer saw as he came upon the scene. If as I hypothesized there was a report of a burglary the officer would have gone to the scene with that information priming him to find someone stealing stuff. Thus he would not have noticed the subtleties that would indicate anything but burglary. We do things like this every day and priming is quite a common effect and even police officers are not immune to it.

Jean1183 4 years, 6 months ago

ivalueamerica 4 years, 6 months ago

My vote for most ignorant post of the day, Jean.

A young man is actually looking for ways to make an honest living, willing to work, willing to wake up at down to do manual labor to earn buck, and you suggest in a passive agressive way that there is something untoward about this?

You have no place in civilized society Jean, you have failed us all.

thisiknow 4 years, 6 months ago

05121784 4 years, 6 months ago

He is not suing the city, that is not the point in filing a complaint. Martinez is hiring a lawyer, which takes many mowing jobs to pay for, to make a statement that the police are using unauthorized FORCE against citizens. The police run wild in our Police State; harassing, arresting, beating and killing innocent people. (Look up the incident where unarmed citizens during Katrina were shot in the back, and killed, from police.)

POLICE STATE 4: The Rise of FEMA - documentary by Alex Jones

oldvet 4 years, 6 months ago

A neighbor sees an unknown person in the back yard and calls the police. The police respond and investigate.

I have two neighbors who will be gone on vacation this summer for nearly a month each and both have told me that there should be no people in/around the house. If I see someone in their yards or in their houses, I will call the police...

Play the race card, Brendan.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 6 months ago

Will you call the police if you see someone mowing your neighbors lawn? If they're going to be gone that long someone's going to have to do that, so get your phone ready.

oldvet 4 years, 6 months ago

The easiest way to pull something off is to look like you belong and you know what you are doing. If I'm going through the motions of mowing the lawn, you won't think it unusual that I go into the garage. You won't see me use a pry bar to get in to the garage and you won't see me go from the garage into the house. You'll think nothing of it. After all, I'm just the guy mowing the lawn, right? My neighbors told me when they would be gone and that no one should be in or at the house. I will call the police and keep an eye out until they arrive.

ferrislives 4 years, 6 months ago

oldvet, that's got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard of regarding burglary of someone's house. Anyone with common sense would know that you don't try to draw attention with extremely loud noise, as from a lawnmower, when you're trying to break in to someone's house. You are really reaching with that one.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 6 months ago

Actually it really isn't that stupid. When my husband was in graduate the school. The university had a huge copier stolen from them in broad daylight. The guys were dressed as copy repair men and took the copier right out....in front of tons of people. No one questioned them because they looked like they belonged. It really isn't that uncommon.

ferrislives 4 years, 6 months ago

That's not what I'm referring to. Of course people use uniforms and other ideas, but who in their right mind would start mowing and trimming a lawn if they were going to steal stuff. That is a very loud activity at a very early time, and it makes no sense why someone would do that. But to park a van with a "Lawn Care" sign on the side while entering a home is understandable. What oldvet was referring to was not that at all.

Brad Maestas 4 years, 6 months ago

Huge +1. Apparently it's vigilance vs. ignorance. Looks like both come out on top.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 6 months ago

fool,

Are there gangs of men running around illegal mowing lawns?

If this had been a 16 year old well dressed white boy, I promise you no tazers and cuffs would have been used.

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

If you do encounter a frightening gang of illegal lawn mowers, please send them my way. Not only is he a minority, he has long hair....redneck no no.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

hopefully this winter, there will be gangs of men illegally scraping other peoples sidewalks. I hope some snoopy neighbors have the foresight to call the police on their suspicious activities.

trinity 4 years, 6 months ago

and you honestly think that the police should approach with taser at the ready....have mercy.

bender 4 years, 6 months ago

I have no problem with the neighbors calling police. The problem is with a police officer approaching someone with a weapon drawn when that someone is not holding any weapon or making any threatening motions. I doubt that is standard operating procedure for the PD.

c_doc77 4 years, 6 months ago

The issue is not whether someone called the police. You see something out of ordinary and call the cops - great. You did your civic duty and perhaps helped protect your neighbors property. But once the cop gets there, he has no reason to pull out a weapon until and unless he determines that this man was engaging in criminal activity.

No one can prove the actions of the officer were racially motivated, but if I was in this guy's shoes, I'd probably be thinking the same thing, and I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable assumption. A black man in a white town is simply trying to mow a friend's lawn, and the police pull a taser on him and cuff him? Come on. There is no way to justify that, even if ethnicity wasn't a factor.

imastinker 4 years, 6 months ago

I have no problem with the neighbor calling police or the police responding.

Having been involved as a third party in these situations, I have found that more often than not, the officer involved behaved correctly and the other party is upset with the outcome. I had lots of incidents where a person complained about the conduct of an officer becuase of a speeding ticket, only to find out that we had video of the whole thing.

I have a lot of respect for law enforcement and the people that do it. In this situation there was either a case of a person who was argumentative and uncooperative when questioned or what was portrayed in the article. I have no idea which it is, but would caution anyone here against taking the whole situation at face value.

I hope the person makes a complaint and there is an investigation. I hope the results are made public.

c_doc77 4 years, 6 months ago

imastinker,

Your point is well taken in that not all of the evidence is know, and we therefore shouldn't make a final judgment. However, if we are to believe that the officer came back and apologized later, that implied guilt on his part, which would indicate that the suspect's reaction to the cop would have been less of a factor than you might think. If he was simply doing his job, which would not have required pulling a taser unless he was physically threatened, then he had nothing to apologize for.

imastinker 4 years, 6 months ago

C_doc77....I couldn't agree more. Maybe they both overreacted.

I think what you said is not quite the rule on taser use. LEO's typically have a rule about using the least force required on a subject that is being uncooperative. If the man was being argumentative and uncooperative, the taser might have been a reasonable thing to use rather get into a scuffle with the subject. I find it unlikely that this was the case here unless he tried to run or appeared to want to fight, but it most likely is an generally accepted use of the taser to do that. It is at the officers discretion though (as it should be).

BTW, I am offended by your avatar. I assume it your flag isn't upside down to signal some sort of distress, like pirates attacking your yacht? It's disrespectful and uncalled for. You can dislike what is going on in Washington (I do), but if you aren't proud to live in the greatest country on earth maybe it's time to do something about it.

c_doc77 4 years, 6 months ago

We'll have to disagree about acceptable use of a taser and my avatar. I don't think it is at all disrespectful to fly the flag upside down.

There is nothing in flag etiquette to suggest that it is. A flag on fire, perhaps, but not one upside down. Yes, it does signal distress. And when authoritarian, out-of-control government and their minion thug enforcers encroaching on my freedoms, I have every right to signal distress.

"The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of EXTREME DANGER TO LIFE OR PROPERTY."

Do we have pirates aboard? You'd better believe it. Our childrens' future is being hijacked by a government who is keeping our nation in perpetual indebtedness to international banking interests. I believe that definitely qualifies as "extreme danger to life or property".

Perhaps you have never read this quote from Thomas Jefferson:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will DEPRIVE THE PEOPLE OF ALL PROPERTY until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

This does not surprise me about Eudora at all. I've worked with and had encounters with residents of that town. Each and every one of them was prejudiced and the majority under-educated.

Wasn't Eudora know as the Meth HQ for KS at one time?

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

lol

what a neighborly thief you are, those are the best kind. :)

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Looks like this story is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Resident is on vacation, non resident is seen entering shed or garage and taking out residents property (mower) police are called. When police arrive mower is not running and non resident is back in shed or garage taking out more equipment (weed eater). This has an appearance to police of home buglary and appropriote action is taken. Then race card is played. Same action would have been used regardless of who was intering property with homeowner gone.

grammaddy 4 years, 6 months ago

I bet you would feel differently if it had been you. An officer couldn't tell that (even with the mower shut off) part of the lawn had been mowed? Guess he'll never go for his detectives' shield, huh!

Dixie Jones 4 years, 6 months ago

AHH yes resident you see this , i see this , but some of these idiots dont see this...

avoice 4 years, 6 months ago

If the police officer did overreact, then Brendan is not overreacting to pursue whatever means necessary to try to prevent this type of thing from happening to others. For gosh sakes, people, do we really want to be confronted by police with tasers on a daily basis and asked to justify our existence or be handcuffed? Not the type of society I want to live in, let me tell you! Police need to stop acting like the military in a war zone and realize that ordinary people are still doing ordinary things. And people who think everyone they see is a potential criminal trying to mask their shady deeds with mundane activities like mowing lawns? Well, I feel sorry for those folks because they must be virtually unable to leave their safe rooms for fear of all the human activity occurring around them.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

I kind of agree with both. The policeman could have handled it better, if he did in fact "charge" the kid. If Brendan wasn't armed, theres no reason to treat him like he was.

jarretwp 4 years, 6 months ago

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

I think the bigger issue here is....why is someone calling the police about someone mowing a lawn? I'm guessing he wasn't mowing yet...otherwise the person calling about it should probably be handcuffed for excessive stupidity.

Buggie 4 years, 6 months ago

Has anyone checked the Schools here in Eudora? The story above about the family being harassed and followed is hogwash. Just fueling a fire. There are quite a few African Americans that live here in Eudora. Some are my friends. Eudora is not racist by any means. I have lived here for only 3 years and my parents for 16 years. Everyone in this community pulls together and lives peacefully. So the cops were called. Good Job Eudora Police. So the tazer was pulled. The officer thought he was a trespasser and guarded himself. Would this young man preferred a gun? I feel if you are going on vacation or just going away on business that if you notify your neighbors that you will be gone so they can keep an eye out is a good idea. This way they also know if you have asked anyone to mow or get mail or newspapers etc for you. Things like this would not occur then. Im glad our police dept was looking after us. This young man needs to find a different line of work and also be thankful that the police were quickly being responsive to his friends house. Grow up and quit playing the race card. Thank the officer for being concerned for your friends.

arizonajh 4 years, 6 months ago

Multi I read it did you? Actually the story says “As I got to the back of the fence, I turned the mower off to get the weed eater,” Martinez said. “I saw this cop running at me with a Taser, pointing it over the fence and telling me to stop and come to the fence.”

The story says he turned the mower off and saw a cop running at him. It says nothing about him being at a "break point" only that he turned off the mower to get the trimmer. It does not say he turned the mower off then waited around a few minutes or petted the dog or took a smoke break or whizzed on the side of the house, then saw the officer. It doesn't even say that "the mower was off when the officer arrived" only that he shut it off and saw the officer running towards him. By his statements (the only thing we have to go on at this point) the two (at least in his mind) seemed to happen about the same time. It said nothing about the mower or the subject being in a "shed" on the property or that there was even a shed on the property. How do you know the mower was not one he brought with him? It said nothing about the mower or trimmer being the homeowners or that the "neighbor" recognized the mower or trimmer as the homeowners. Being that his testimony is the only thing given in the story you sure "thought" a lot into it in your fantasy. .

arizonajh 4 years, 6 months ago

cont, I could suggest that even if the mower was shut off when the officer confronted him it seems reasonable that in the time it took the officer to arrive, get out of the car go to the back yard and pull his taser that at some point he should have heard the mower or at least seen or smelled the mowed grass. I would also assume that the officer, if he is smart did not rush in and probably cruised around beside the house to see if he could see anything or at least made a stealthy approach on foot and peered around the house to make sure the person in back didn't have a accomplice ready to shoot him in the back as he approached the suspect he could see. A good officer does not charge in to the breach like King Henry at Agincourt lest he be the dead they fill the breach with. Also, surely the neighbor (if it was a neighbor as in your scenario)in the time it took to call to the 911dispatcher and then it being relayed to the officer and for the officer to arrive on scene would have heard the mower or watched the kid and saw that he was not attempting to enter the house and they could have told the officer when he arrived that it was a false alarm. My point is other than the mower being off when the incident took place everything else you said were things you made up in your head to fit a scenario that worked for you. As far as the officer not knowing who he is dealing with I guess an officer should just always have his taser in hand because he never knows at a traffic stop, at a drunk and disorderly call, or a car in a ditch if the person is out to hurt him or not so just run up taser in hand and put everyone in handcuffs and then find out what's going on. Next time you're stopped for a traffic violation (no blinker, headlight out) I'm sure you won't mind if the officer puts you prone on the concrete (hope your not dressed for anything nice like church or a job interview) with a taser at your back until he knows your intentions. If they do stop cars and pull their taser and handcuff at each and every stop or call no matter if it's a white grandmother or Hispanic teen then I agree that he was not overreacting. Somehow I find it hard to believe that this is the case, if they do I stand corrected

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 6 months ago

You shouldna done that, he's just a boy.

local_guy 4 years, 6 months ago

anyone who has anything positive to say about Eudora Police is absolutely ignorant. They are racist, they profile, and I've personally been told if I'm seen in town, I WILL be arrested. The wonderful thing about that is, I have family members with the department.. I'm just not the right color to be accepted by that side of the family. So, why dont you people all tell me how wrong I am about it, since I've been dealing with it my whole life and you know nothing of these officers personal lives, thank you very much. GO GET 'EM BRENDAN!!

urthlvr 4 years, 6 months ago

That sucks. That would also explain why the black man whose house I walk by frequently isn't very nice when I try to say hi.

I wish Eudora cops would take more interest in Noah who likes to bash the gas lines by the Grandview Trailers. Two gas leaks in 2 months. Way to go Eudora cops!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess I'm absolutely ignorant because I have no problem what so ever with the Eudora police department. I grew up in Eudora and spent 20 years of my life there and can say that I personally know and trust a lot of people on the department. The good thing about living in Eudora and other small towns is you get to know your police officers and their families and know that (the majority) do what they do for a living because they do care about the community. Of course there could be a "bad apple" but you can find that in any police department. As a whole, I am very thankful for the people on the Eudora police department even if I no longer live there.

05121784 4 years, 6 months ago

POLICE STATE 4: The Rise of FEMA by Alex Jones.

This is not an isolated incident. It only comes to the media's attention because the young man is willing to do something about it, i.e. hire a lawyer and file a complaint. My heart pours out for the low-income persons, who are common, helpless victims of the police. These subjected persons cannot hire a lawyer to defend their innocence; thus, they are at the mercy of our corrupt judicial system. "Your bail is set at $10,000. Next, please."

juststrugglin 4 years, 6 months ago

For the people who do not live in Eudora, you need not speak of our town or our police department. For us who live here we are able to speak freely about both. Living here for 25 years now, and knowing of the things that have happened in this town, I feel the officer acted in his best interest. On the comments of Eudora be racist, there is people in this town who are racist, oh well, can't change their thought process, as a whole the town is not. You who are running at the mouth must not frequent our town. Our police department has the training as any other police department. Let your home be robbed and then you will say the police department was not doing their job, or the neighbor should have called. Think before you open your mouth.......

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

I've been in your town enough over the past thirty years and dealt with enough of your residents to have a good handle on what the general attitude is. We may not need to speak of your town or your police department, but we will. If you are not part of the problem, then become part of the solution!

gatekeeper 4 years, 6 months ago

I worked in that hell town for many years and worked with a few whose relatives were cops. Most of the people I worked with were Eudorkians. Racist, racist, racist and so many druggies. Had to start drug testing because so many employees were openly doing meth. We used lots of chemicals where I worked and even had to keep them locked away because Eudorkians would do whatever it took to steal them from us to make more meth.

Eudorkia is a tiny town with a tiny town mindset. Unfortunately, we have to put up with Eudorkian trash coming to Lawrence to get supplies. Too bad you can't stay in your terrible little town. I know a couple of people who bought homes there because they were cheaper than buying in Lawrence. After a couple of years, they're scrambling to leave because it sucks so bad there. Drugs and rednecks, rednecks and drugs.

And I have nothing against small towns - lived in a few myself and many relatives still live in small towns. Eudorkia isn't a normal small town. It's a redneck town that makes a lot of meth.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

I know one guy that lives in Eudora and he is the utter opposite of racist. He manages a business in Lawrence, and is a very friendly guy with a nice family.

He does like NASCAR though. You can hate him for that I suppose.

gatekeeper 4 years, 6 months ago

You know one guy. I worked with hundreds.

Of course not every single person there is racist, but the majority.....

And yes, NASCAR sucks.

Katara 4 years, 6 months ago

That's a little extreme just because the guy like NASCAR....

Chris Golledge 4 years, 6 months ago

Let's review:

"“As I got to the back of the fence, I turned the mower off to get the weed eater,” Martinez said. “I saw this cop running at me with a Taser,"

So, he turns off the mower, and goes to get the weed eater, and sees the cop running at him with a tazer. How much time do you think passed between when he turned off the mower and the cop running at him? Because, it sounds to me that the cop had been there a little while already to have located the guy in the back of the house and drawn his tazer.

Just guessing that the cop found him in the back because the mower was running when he got there. Or, did the cop jump out off the car with tazer drawn, and rush to the back of the house, immediately upon arriving?

Chris Golledge 4 years, 6 months ago

Probably, the guy hadn't heard the officer announce himself because the mower was running and the officer had drawn his tazer because the guy didn't respond when he announced himself.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

I can understand having the taser drawn, or even a sidearm, when going into a potentially dangerous situation, but handcuffing the guy was way out of line unless he did something to make the cop suspicious he might run. All we are seeing is one side of the story so it's hard to make any real judgment.

Kudos to the kid for finding work over the summer.

notajayhawk 4 years, 6 months ago

"All we are seeing is one side of the story so it's hard to make any real judgment."

How long have you been a member of these message boards? Since when do the Larryville loons need more than one side of a story to pass judgment? Since when do they need ANY information before diving headlong into another 'cause'?

Richard Payton 4 years, 6 months ago

Who doesn't like Tom & Jerry? I like the shirt the young adult was wearing in the photo.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions about what really was happening on this supicious persons police call. We all need to wait for more information. No wonder the officer thought someone was up to no good, after all it was 6 AM and how many people mowing lawns start at that hour? Don't forget this man did not live at the residence and the neighbors did not recognize him either as a visitor to the residence so the call was made. When the people that are on vacation get home they should thank the neighbors for watching their house. Seems like it doesn't take much to call racial profiling now. I bet the call would have been called in no matter what race was involved. 6 AM, look there is someone in the neighbors shed and the neighbors are gone, call the police.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

several people do, in order to beat the heat or if they have jobs all day...I used to get really pissed when I lived with my parents because people would be up so early mowing. Now it's not too much of an issue, since my building association never mows the lawn.

arizonajh 4 years, 6 months ago

Where in the story was a shed or the suspect being in a shed mentioned? No where does it say the suspect entered a shed or the primary residence only that he was in the backyard with a mower and a trimmer.

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Watch the video and you will see the shed.

Dixie Jones 4 years, 6 months ago

i agree resident you see this i see this but other idots dont see this....

LawrenceTownie 4 years, 6 months ago

I have lived in Eudora for only two years and have not noticed the police doing anything here except trying to catch speeders in front of the schools. That is not to say it did not happen the way the young man claims, I do believe him, sounds like racial profiling to me, a former Administrative Justice major at Washburn. I think it would have been smart for the absent home owner to have told his/her neighbors they were leaving and had arranged to have the lawn mowed by a friend in their absence. But today sometimes we don't even know our next door neighbors. I would not have suspected a thief at 6:00 am, maybe 6:00 pm. I think most thieves are catching up on their zzz's around 6:00 am from the night before of plundering.

prairierose54 4 years, 6 months ago

In small town America.......

If the only people to witness this this were the officer and Martinez all I can say is good luck!

As I was told by a cop after I "did" stop at a stop sign.

He said I didn't. Then he said it was my word against his. It sucks but he was right.

That's when I realized what kind of power law enforcement officers have if you don't have a witness for your side.

Bingo.....the judge woulnd't even listen to what I have to say. He told me that "His officer would not make the mistake of saying that I didn't stop".

I paid the fine. :(

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

At first I thought you might be my friend but it seems you have grandkids and she's not old enough. But she had the exact same thing happen to her in Eudora. Like you, she just had to pay. Sounds like they have found a real moneymaker there.

Venom 4 years, 6 months ago

md 4 years, 6 months ago

I guess the race baiters here have no concept of the potential dangers a cop faces.You are trained to protect your self.Only the naive and ignorant would not understand this.He did his job. I moved to Eudora ten years ago.The people Iknow well enough to call friends are not racist. Having said that I do believe this is the most racist town I have lived in. My son was bullied in the school.One day an older kid offered him a ride from school.He and other kids protected and accepted him.He was brought up to not be racist and respect people.He started coming home talking nazi type stuff.We were heart broken.He came home one day with a paper for me to sign.It was kkk ap! They said he was`nt of age and needed our permission.The ap said they were a group who taught against hate and violence.Eventualy he realized he really wasnt that way and turned away from them.They have harrased him since.He is scared.He had two friends that were black gay women. They were at the quick shop about two am. My son went in and when he came out two huge ex racist friends were sexualy harrasing the two. He tried to stop them. At about three am we had to go to the emergancy ward. He was in very bad shape. The police were very kind and went way out of there way to get the guys. One even persued it off duty-driving to Lawrence and Topeka visiting with witneses to get them to come forward, none would. Yes they have a lot of rednecks here. We still have to deal with them. Now to the people that cry racism of the police just keep profiling. My dealings with them in a race situation found them very impressive.

fastdragger 4 years, 6 months ago

All I can say, is that for an officer to pull his tazer out, he first MUST feel threatened for his well being. I truly don't know how that could be. It's just some more of the mentality that we have for officers in Eudora today. Maybe they should hire some cops that have a little more of what it takes to get the job done. Maybe talking to the "kid" before such extreme actions could have resulted in a much better outcome for everybody. Oh well, it's just one more thing to make Eudora look bad. I'm used to it. I've seen it for 39 yrs and it's not going to change until WE change it.....

fastdragger 4 years, 6 months ago

Sat around? I don't think so. Better ask somebody...

jaywalker 4 years, 6 months ago

Nice, fastdragger. Spoken like someone who can't even fathom what it's like to walk in an officer of the law's shoes. Personally speaking, I'm surprised police don't have their weapons drawn every time they approach a vehicle they've pulled over. Watch some of those 'World's Amazing Videos' or the like; when an officer approaches ANY subject he's a sitting duck. Whenever I've been pulled over I make certain to have both hands in plain view, usually I open the window and stick them out. Police are extraordinarily under-appreciated for putting their lives on the line every day. The least we can do is respect that and attempt to understand what their job entails.
And what's "extreme" about having a means of protection at the ready???!!! He didn't use the darn thing, for crying out loud! 39 years old and you're still this bumfuzzled? Grow up.

fastdragger 4 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree!!! Believe me. I have my fair share of personal protection devices and I think that, wait, I KNOW that I have the right to protect myself when in danger. My point is that is has to be taken on an individual basis. I could have clearly seen this "KID" with no weapon. Now you'll say "How, he was behind the fence." Well then wait on him to question him. Man o man. You'll see when it's all done and said, the officer rushed to judgement and will offer an appology and the city will be sickened. blah blah blah.....I'm just saying to use better judgement. I do...

jaywalker 4 years, 6 months ago

Wait to question him? The problem, fastdragger, is that this a police officer confronting a possible burglary suspect = THAT is what the officer MUST consider FIRST for his own safety. Theirs is not a world where they can assume everyone is friendly and not carrying a weapon they can and will pull in order to avoid capture. You speak as if danger won't present itself until after they have a nice chat. The officer did use proper judgement: he armed himself just in case. He didn't rush in guns-a-blazing, he didn't operate behind a shoot first-ask questions later mentality. Can you see the difference?

independant1 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm with 50, not enough information.

And what's up with the small town ignorant rant? Are inhabitants in/from small towns not smart/intelligent? How does one make that leap? Was Einstein from a huge town? Talk about profiling.

Call me a “rube” and a “hick,” but I’d lot rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it. (Will Rogers)

md 4 years, 6 months ago

Fast-you do not show a grasp on people and reality. You do not go in to an unknown situation not ready to defend your self. You must always be wary no matter how benign the situation may look! People that have not held a job were your life is on the line have no way to understand. As far as the race card-- remember Obamas friend? Every body asumed it was a rasist cop. The tapes came out and the truth came to light!

fastdragger 4 years, 6 months ago

Wrong. Sometimes I feel I'm THE ONLY one with a grasp on reality. This world we live in is sick. I don't have a job where "my life is on the line" everyday and I STILL defend it to the fullest. Ready at any moment in time. I truly don't think this is a race thing. I think it's just a bad use of judgement. That's it.....

jaywalker 4 years, 6 months ago

For the love.... mountains out of mole hills. Someone calls police because they see someone they don't recognize in their neighbor's yard messin' with their belongings. At 6 freakin' a.m. Police arrive to find someone moving between power equipment - he was NOT operating anything at the time of the officer's arrival. It's still dark or at least twilight so the officer comes prepared because his safety counts, too. Suspect is detained for safety and procedure - just as he should be - questioned - released - and apologized to for the misunderstanding and inconvenience.
That's it. Where's the "civil rights violation"?? This is ridiculous.

Jean1183 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree with jaywalker and why was my post pulled? I only quoted from the article. Others have done much worse including ivalueamerica who directly slurs me for my post.

What is it that Brendan wants to accomplish by filing a civil rights suit? Does he want an apology from the officer....sounds like he got that. Does he want the officer reprimanded? Fired? A change in the procedures? Then he should file a formal complaint with the police department or the city. I do believe there are channels for investigation into such matters.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you Jaywalker!

I still don't understand how this is a racial issue. Anytime the police question or detain someone of color does that mean they are racially profiling? That truly makes no sense to me. Just because you're black, or brown, or purple or flippin green doesn't mean anytime you have interaction with the police you are being singled out? I was sitting in my car in an empty parking lot waiting to meet up with my parents who were in Lawrence for the evening and wanted to see their grandson and the police stopped and asked what I was doing, should I have screamed racial profiling because they were DOING THEIR JOBS?!

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

This is why: Johnson County Community College student Brendan Martinez is always looking for ways to make extra money.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

Ohhh!!! NOW I understand! Ok, that makes sense now. sigh

You know, I rarely comment on articles, specifically those related to law enforcement becuase I have made it clear that I am married to an officer in a previous post and don't want to appear that I am fully biased but really, I mean, this gets my blood pressure up like you wouldnt believe! People are always looking to point the finger at someone else. As far as I can see from the information given in this article, NEITHER person did anything "wrong". I would sure hope if I were out of town my neighbors would call the police if they saw someone in my backyard that they didn't recognize with my lawn mower and weed eater.

Reading this article brings one of my favorite law enforcement quotes to mind..... "Don't like the police? Next time your s**t gets stolen, call a crackhead" The officer was DOING HIS JOB!

ivalueamerica 4 years, 6 months ago

ashamed, you seem to miss the point...if how they detain and question someone is different, especially more harsh with a person of color than with a person who is white, it is racism.

I am quite sure a well dressed white boy mowing a lawn would not have faced the tazer and cuffs.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm quite sure a well dressed kid of ANY color wouldnt be mowing a d**n lawn at 6am. Furthermore, when I hear noises outside of my house at 6am, I check my property with a loaded firearm on my person (which is legal, i might add). How is this any different?

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

additional question....well dressed...do you mow your lawn in slacks, buttondown and tie? Just checking....if so, are you for hire? I'd truly enjoy the amusement of a "well dressed" lawn service. ridiculous.

independant1 4 years, 6 months ago

white, well dressed, mowing a lawn is suspicious deserves double tase then ask questions

Jean1183 4 years, 6 months ago

Oops! All I did was quote that from the article and my post got deleted.........you're in trouble now.

But.....ivalueamerica can personally attack me and it's OK. Wonder who "they" know at LJW?

Jean1183 4 years, 6 months ago

And just how are you "quite sure" of that?

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

Typical cops. Always over reacting! How could they think they were in danger by a person puching a mower or using a weed eater?? I have met some of the Eudora cops and they are arogant as can be!! This action may change things.

kimk 4 years, 6 months ago

Probably new policy of the new chief: pull taser, handcuff and humiliate, then ask questions.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

I love how a handfull of you can talk negatively and make snap judgements based on absolutely NO personal knowledge. Make blanket statements about it. "typical cops" "humiliate and then ask questions" but yet you find offense to my statement regarding your level of stupidity? worthless

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

Well "ashamedofyou", doesnt the press always report the facts? So you dont think that the cops can or every do anything wrong?

gogoplata 4 years, 6 months ago

I could care less about the racial bs. How difficult would it have been for the stupid cop to just let the guy know there was a call from a neighbor and ask him what he was doing there. I can't stand the attitude of most cops. These turds forget they leeches living off the taxes of people with real jobs.

ashamedofyou 4 years, 6 months ago

Sure....the police ALWAYS do right, just like the news, any news ALWAYS reports the exact truth, and all good kids ALWAYS eat their vegetables. Of COURSE thats not what I think.

I'm not saying the police never handle anything wrong, I'm saying based on the information in the article, the officer was right and justified in his actions. If he had tazered this kid, I would've never commented. I just find it irritating that a handful of the people that comment on these articles are so anti-police, anti-government, anti-religion, anti-anything that they make blanket statements that all police, government, church, guns, etc, etc, etc, the list goes on forever, are bad. To me that is the same mentality as saying all black people are drug dealers, all white people are yuppies, and all mexicans are illegals. Its not an educated statement, it's giving in to a stereotype. I had a boss once who was a really sh**ty manager, I guess my boss now that I REALLY enjoy working for, I have to start hating because ALL BOSSES ARE BAD. That mentality makes no sense.

You have your opinion and that's great -- since the "typical" cop doesn't care about any citizen or their property, I sure you hope you get one of those "not-typical" type of officer if you ever need help some day and that he's not "typical" and just writes off your problem as a "whining jerk" making a complaint. Sorry, I guess I just made a judgement against you without knowing you at all. Darn stereotypes.

Venom 4 years, 6 months ago

gogoplata, how do you know he didn't

"How difficult would it have been for the stupid cop to just let the guy know there was a call from a neighbor and ask him what he was doing there"

How do you know that the suspect didn't make remarks that escalated the problem to the point it got. You don't know because you weren't there ! Neither was the LJ world reporter that wrote the story.

hootman31 4 years, 6 months ago

Let the record speak for itself: how many Caucasians’ mowing lawns in Eudora have been approached with Taser's pulled?

The new police chief better clean house or he won’t be police chief for long; same goes for the mayor.

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

I agree, the mayor needs to do something with the city road crew.

hootman31 4 years, 6 months ago

We have a road crew? Do away with them too!

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

Thats what I have been wondering. Heck, they have 5 snow plows parked out by the waste water plant and snad spreaders, but only one or two dump trucks. Whats the point? heck, they cant even take care of 20th street or winchester any more. They have turned that maintance over to the township.

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

If I was the suspect, I would have made comments to the cop also! What, a comment is a threat to a cop now? I dont get why cops feel like citizens need to respect them to a higher extent than just your average citizen?

kathy white 4 years, 6 months ago

I USED to live in Eudora until my son (who is bi racial) visited for the week end. He borrowed my car (with my permission) to go less than two blocks to the convenience store and was stopped by police, harrassed and frisked. We now live in Lawrence again. Don't miss the profiling!

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

I just want to say that YES, this person has a very good case. I hope this will change the attitudes of the Eudora cops.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 6 months ago

I hope Brendan wins his case, I hope the officers involved will face some sort of consequence as well. These small town flatfoots need to learn a lesson.

Another contributing factor was the small town nosy neighbor syndrome. The neighbors probably called the cops cuz they "saw some colored kid sneaking around their neighbor's yard". Whatever happened to minding your own business?

blackfox 4 years, 6 months ago

The nosy neighbor thing has gotten worse. It didnt use to be this way. If you saw somebody "different" in someone's yard, you went over and said "hey, whats up"? To many peole rely on that one little number, 911! They all want the government to take care of them and protect them. Bunch of wimps!

verity 4 years, 6 months ago

Enough has been said about the situation and I won't add more.

However I want to speak to the people who are always accusing people of making a complaint or suing over discrimination so they can get money. From what I have seen, I probably wouldn't do that thinking I was going to make money. It's a tough process, often going on for years and taking a lot of time appearing in court, etc., and even if a judgement is made, seems like it rarely get paid out. Or you could get stuck with paying the other person's attorney's fees and court costs.

The only reason I would put myself through that would be for a matter of principle and/or to stop it from happening to others. I can't speak to racial discrimination, but I have experienced a number of instances of discrimination because I am a woman and some sexual harassment. It is degrading and humiliating. I'm sure racial discrimination is a lot worse and I can see somebody finally deciding they have just had enough and are going to do something about it.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 6 months ago

Few people in these parts have empathy for those who get abused by law enforcement for civil rights reasons. It might be worse on campus than in the rest of Lawrence, because the KU school cops are totally, corrupted in the pocket of KU's unprofessional and dishonest Human Resources staff who routinely persecute and criminalize employees for civil- rights related reasons. The HR people, supposedly the office on campus charged with protecting equal rights and confidentiality, brutally profiled me last year, causing me excruciating pain, then lied about it and hid the evidence, retaliatorily turning the tables by putting a false racism allegation against me that was railroaded into my file without following published university policy. A KU cop even deep-sixed my profiling/hate-speech report. My experience of KU and Lawrence has been of a total, living, bigoted nightmare.

yankeevet 4 years, 6 months ago

Ok; can we move on to another news story ;;...................

independant1 4 years, 6 months ago

Nope, not yet.

The cop shoulda tasered him for mowing at 6am.

gccs14r 4 years, 4 months ago

Quiet hours are generally from 10 to 6. Considering how hot it has been recently, I don't blame the guy for getting an early start on the lawn.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

So in early June this guy knew how hot it was going to be in early August and decided to mow the lawn early? Sheesh, I thought this was an update to the story.

gccs14r 4 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, I didn't note the date of the incident. Maybe it was going to rain.

HaRDNoK9 4 years, 4 months ago

I feel sorry for this kid's experience. I don't care for racism or discrimination of any kind. Apparently, Eudora is known for this. Okay, whatever. Is the friend whose lawn that was being mowed ignorant to this fact? Would it have behooved him to let his neighbors know that they should expect a stranger to be taking care of the property while they were away? Or perhaps even make an introduction? I have taken care of a friends' property before, in an affluent "white" neighborhood. I was introduced to the next door neighbor before he left. I had no problems. When I was about 12 years old, I took care of a friends' cat. I was not introduced to the neighbors, who were not informed that I would be about, and the police were called. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Eudora had a city militia years and years ago, The CPA, (Cattleman's Protection Assn.) I think it was called, that aimed to protect the citizens from frequent raids perpetrated by the cattle drivers of the day. It kept the city and it's inhabitants safe for generations. Eudora is a VIGILANT community and it's traditions are steeped in it. In Lawrence, many people might not call the cops if a person was seen climbing out of the window with a TV.

LadyJ 4 years, 4 months ago

So this story is two months old, did he ever file a complaint