Archive for Sunday, June 6, 2010

One taken to hospital, one arrested after parking lot battery

June 6, 2010

A 35-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Sunday morning in connection with an incident that sent one person to the hospital.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Matt Sarna, the incident began about 2:57 a.m. in the 2500 block of Redbud Lane. Officers were called to the scene of a reported aggravated battery. Upon arrival, police contacted a 24-year-old resident of the nearby apartment complex.

Sarna said the resident had visible facial injuries and advised he had been battered in the parking lot by several Hispanic men.

The victim was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Lawrence police continued the investigation into the incident and arrested one of the suspects about 8:36 a.m. in the 2100 block of Iowa Street. The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of aggravated battery and criminal use of a weapon after a concealed knife was discovered in his possession.

No additional arrests have been made.

Comments

matthewjherbert 4 years, 6 months ago

Not to stereotype an area, but those Redbud apartments seem to make the news a lot....and not for good reasons.

Soap 4 years, 6 months ago

uNot to sterotype, but you can never fight one Mexican.. They always gang up on you.. I'm part Mexican so I can say that..

greenworld 4 years, 6 months ago

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

No big deal if a group of Hispanics assault the 'average white man'. (He probably deserved it just for not being Hispanic.)

But if a Hispanic or any minority of any kind is assulted that is a hate crime and should be punished much more severely.

Thinking that all criminals should be punished equally, regardless of color, sex or physical or mental challenges is 'hate think'. When Dr. King said a man should be judged on his character vs. color of his skin that was hate speech.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

At one time in this country many crimes against African-Americans were 'swept under the carpet' (especially in the south) which was appalling.

Today, if two African-Americans assault each other, it's just a regular crime. Two gays, same scenario. But what if a prejudice gay person attacks a black person, is that a hate crime? What about a fight between a Jewish person and a Native American? Are both equally charged with 'hate crime'.?

This country was founded on the ideal of "All men are created equal". During slavery (and other times) we pretty well blew that ideal. But we need to continually strive for it, and applying punishment unequally in any way is still falling short of that goal.

cabella 4 years, 6 months ago

very well said, agree with everything you just mentioned

Soap 4 years, 6 months ago

I am not an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's all about context.. If a group of hispanic men attacked a white man BECAUSE he is white, then that would constitute a hate crime.. It is not a one-way street as you suggest.. I have a white friend who grew up in East LA and got beat up by Mexicans all the time, solely because of his skin color.. Not as common as white people ganging up on Mexicans (Arizona) but sure, it happens.. In any case, you have to PROVE that a crime was motivated by race, orientation, etc.. Just because you are black or gay or whatever does not automatically constitute a hate crime.. But like I said, I'm not an expert..

Also, please tell me more about how being white is hindering your ability to succeed in America..

mr_right_wing 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm at a loss. Where in my post do you find me saying being white (which I may or may not be) is a hindrance?? My post was about applying punishment equally to everyone -- including me! I have no 'hindering' in my life according to race, sex, disability or sexual orientation.

What about you?? (Well, besides being very assumptive.)

Soap 4 years, 6 months ago

All joking aside, why is it necessary to even mention that the men were Hispanic??

Why is that important??

"Hispanic" can mean Spanish (white), Mexican (brown), Latin American, South American, so it doesn't really give me a good visual depiction..

You gave no other description as to size, shape, height, weight, clothing style, or anything useful in identifying these men.. You just said "Hispanic".. All you are doing is feeding into people's stereotypes, and making people afraid of "Hispanics"..

Just say "attacked by several men" and leave it at that..

People are people..

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

I dunno, last week I recanted from the ljworld's own story that there was a black man with a knife, and my comment was removed....maybe they mentioned the hispanic to help people id the incident?