Archive for Sunday, June 6, 2010

Lawrence man arrested after burglary, theft

June 6, 2010

A 19-year-old Lawrence man was arrested early Saturday morning after another man discovered him in his home.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, the Lawrence man was awake at 3:18 a.m. and saw the suspect in his home. The suspect, who had entered using a key, spoke with the man and then fled.

The man followed the suspect on foot and called police on his cell phone, giving a description of the suspect. While the man was following the suspect, the suspect broke into a car.

Police eventually caught up with the suspect, and after investigation, it was determined he had broken into the man’s car and found a key to his home there.

The suspect was booked on charges of aggravated burglary, two counts of burglarizing a vehicle and various other charges.

Comments

windjammer 4 years, 5 months ago

Ok let's say I awake at 3:18 am and there is a person in my house. Do I have the right to defend my house and family by any means?

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually, legal self defense only applies if/when the amount of force used is proportional to the threat.

In other words, if you are threatened by someone who doesn't have a weapon, and you pick up a gun and shoot them, that's not legally self defense.

I'm not saying I think that's right, but that's the law.

nobody1793 4 years, 5 months ago

So does it matter, then, if it is a big bodybuilder dude protecting his house with a gun as opposed to a frail old grandmother? Because presumably a grandma would be more threatened by a physical confrontation?

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

That's an interesting question.

I don't know the answer.

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

That's an interesting question.

I don't know the answer.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

what you want to do is be sure you shoot them in the face or chest. If you shoot them in the back of the head that gives the appearance that they were running away, and therefor not a threat.

igby 4 years, 5 months ago

I'd just knock him in the head and toss his body in the backyard or under the porch of someone that's on my s**t list. Lol.

Who cares about rights anyway these days. You can see that De-mock-race-z has failed and the criminals are nurtured by the real criminals that have taken over the country. It's only a matter of time until America, will be a war zone, worst then any thing you could ever vision.

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

Gee, aren't you just a ray of hope this morning?!

more_cowbell 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow, somebody got up on the sad psychopathic panda side of bed this morning...

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes you do, WJ, well, at least you still do today.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

is this the same dude that had a conversation with their break-in victim a week or so back?

Susan Mangan 4 years, 5 months ago

Snap_pop...- GREAT comment. 10 to 1 odds that very few will get that. I'd go with 1991, myself :-)

And pitbull is correct. Most states, including Kansas, have passed laws that give you the right to assume you are in immediate danger of great bodily harm, or death, if someone is in your home, and you can respond with deadly force. Personally, I'm not going to quiz someone about their intentions, and what weapons they might possess, before defending myself and my family. And the law says you don't have to, in your own home...for now.

windjammer 4 years, 5 months ago

Ok what if this would of happened before Mr Obama was elected by the majority?

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 5 months ago

Source for what, Jafs ? The right to bear arms and defend your person and property against intrusion ? Check the Constitution for openers, while it is still intact, and check the Kansas Statutes Annotated as well. And I'm with Snap only no 1911...my Service 6 will do just fine before calling 911.

windjammer 4 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for all the information after much thought I think the intruder will not have time for questions. At 3:18 all he will see is the flash.