Archive for Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ethnic slur latest flap in gov. race

June 5, 2010

— A GOP lawmaker hoping to be the state’s first female governor is getting publicity for all the wrong reasons.

First a political blogger said he and Rep. Nikki Haley had an inappropriate physical relationship when he worked for her in 2007. Then a lobbyist said he had a one-night stand with her in a Salt Lake City hotel room during a school choice conference.

On Thursday, state Sen. Jake Knotts used an ethnic slur to refer to Haley, whose parents immigrated from India.

“We’ve got a raghead in Washington, we don’t need a raghead in the Statehouse,” Knotts said on an Internet political talk show. He later apologized, saying the remarks were meant as a joke.

Haley, who was born a Sikh and describes herself as a Methodist, called it another shameful attack. It’s not clear if the flaps are damaging the tea party favorite, who has been endorsed by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

Comments

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 6 months ago

"It’s not clear if the flaps are damaging the tea party favorite, who has been endorsed by former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin."

So why even write that sentence then? Just to get a reason to write "Sarah Palin"? When the tea party candidates are found to be involved in pay-to-play and political bribery, I'll lend an ear.

jafs 4 years, 6 months ago

So it's ok with you that they support someone who makes these sorts of comments, I guess.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 6 months ago

Tom, do you discourage voters from learning all that they can about the candidates? I don;t know if politics are any more complicated than in any other years but, I do know that blindly following a party is not what I wold call making an informed decision. This stuff is important and you seem to encourage censorship of truths. Such is the Repub way.

Mike Ford 4 years, 6 months ago

tea partiers sure show a lot of intellect and restraint (LAUGHTER). they promote racism in their dumb followers and look what happens.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 6 months ago

I thought the last paragraph was poorly written and confusing.

Never underestimate large numbers of stupid people.

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

What? A tea party candidate saying racist things? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Why would thinking people want an endorsement from a quitter like Palin?