Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Pastor at Heritage Baptist says he convinced suspect in child rapes to turn himself in

June 4, 2010

Heritage Baptist Church pastor Scott Hanks said he is upset that his church has been pulled into media reports about a criminal case involving sexual abuse allegations against two church members.

Arrest of couple for sexual abuse of children prompts further investigations

A local psychologist says that now is the time to talk to your children about sexual abuse. Enlarge video

“How does it have anything to do with the church?” Hanks said Friday at Heritage Baptist, 1781 East 800 Road.

Hanks is listed as a witness in the case against a Lawrence couple accused of sexually abusing two girls over a two-year period.

In a statement released to the media Thursday, Hanks said: “The Heritage Baptist Church is ashamed and appalled at the actions of (the suspect). The church stands against rape, sodomy and indecent liberties with a child. Such wicked and vile acts should be punished and not tolerated in or outside any church.”

Hanks said he released the statement after he was approached by several area media organizations seeking comment.

Hanks declined to give an on-camera interview, but provided several details about his involvement in the case.

The pastor said that as soon as he heard about the abuse allegations, he confronted the 32-year-old man, who was charged Thursday in Douglas County District Court with eight crimes, including rape and sodomy. Hanks then convinced the man to turn himself in, he said.

“I’m the one who took him to the police station,” Hanks said.

Hanks did not specify how he learned of the allegations, but said he was convinced no children from his church had been abused and did not say whether the alleged victims were members.

“We’ve conducted our own investigation,” Hanks said. “There were never children from the church at their house. Ever.”

Hanks said that neither of the accused was employed by the church.

Heritage Baptist is not mentioned in any public court documents on the case.

Comments

codysgirl 3 years, 6 months ago

You are all messed up. Pastor Scott Hanks and the members are not in a "cult" as you people are saying. This is a whole bunch of crap! It's not brainwashing and it is not any different than any other church I can tell you that much. Pastor Hanks is a very good pastor.

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 10 months ago

What?? The pastor speaks out, yet you cannot talk to this pastor in person. He is simply never available for discussion.

This pastor is "for show" only, for appearances only.

volunteer 3 years, 10 months ago

Not to be picky, but I think the headline would be more proper with "persuaded" rather than "convinced." Are all the rules of grammar we learned in the 60's obsolete?

beobachter 3 years, 10 months ago

saw name of church, all I needed to know.All religious fundies are dangerous, especially the christian ones, look at OKC and killer of Tiller. Does name Rudolph not also ring a bell?

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Sunday -Go-To-Meetin' should be mighty interesting tomorrow morning.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 10 months ago

If, and I stress if, Pastor Hanks did have previous knowledge of the sexual abuse and counseled the adults to remain silent, this is sickening. I don't attend this particular church, so I don't know if it is true or not. I can say very sadly that I have heard a different pastor of a different Lawrence church tell his congregation from the pulpit not to talk to reporters or police regarding a murder that the accused was later convicted of....(No, not a rumor, I was sitting there to hear it.)

Reality_Check 3 years, 10 months ago

"the most rigid of all religions."

Really? Moreso than say, Wahhabism? First I'd hear that. Learn something new every day!

Reality_Check 3 years, 10 months ago

"the most rigid of all religions."

Reality_Check 3 years, 10 months ago

"the most rigid of all religions."

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

edjayhawk = from what I have seen, I would think you are correct.

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Heritage Baptish Church is actually a Southern Baptist Church which is the most rigid of all religions.

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, frwent - it is not often I agree with you, but you bring up some valid points. And I am close enough to observe this church and have always THOUGHT (no proof) there is some type of cultish behavior going on, and am aware of past incidents involving members, junior pastors and so forth. Not saying all the attendees are bad, but all should be careful.

And I totally agree with your perception of the Phelps Klan and what should be considered child abuse there.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know much about this "Baptist" church. There are many legitimate church denominations, most are doing the work that they profess to do. But as we all know, child abuse exists in abundance very close by at the "Westboro Baptist Church", the den of evil of ;phred phelps. Most of us who live in the modern age have developed a healthy suspicion of most all splinter group "churches" such as the phelpsess. The Toprka hate group is doctrinating small childern into their cult and disgusting philosophy and who knows what else, yet the state remains aloof of the possible abuse occuring there. I am glad that this situation has been discovered, but the exclamations of the pastor, Mr. Hanks, fall pretty flat for me. The behavior of this splinter group of pseudo-Christians has been akward for quite a while, and their association with this horrible occurance is by no means indicated. However, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, smells like a duck (Especially smells!!), well what conclusion would you assume? But this remains for the courts to sort out and my and others speculation on what is going on is unwarranted, so I will just close this out and hope that reasonable people wake up and smell the coffee when strange situations appear, even though they might even be associated with some religious group.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 10 months ago

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 10 months ago

This clearly demonstrates that xtianity breeds child rape.

mdrndgtl 3 years, 10 months ago

Just to be clear, this isn't a Catholic Church, correct? I mean, I would understand if it was, but it's not, right?

cletus26 3 years, 10 months ago

y'all leave the church alone. the man they wanted is got..

hotfart 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, I'm not sure what happened with my comments, they were reversed....can some one working at the ljworld flip them so they are in the correct order?

hotfart 3 years, 10 months ago

I will start off by apoligizing for my lengthy comment, and preface everything by stating that everything below is all of my own OPINION, and because it is still early in the investigation I have tried to choose my words carefully so as not to wrongfully accuse anyone, and realize nobody has been convicted of anything. After some proofreading, it looks like I may have got a bit carried away with the length of my comment, but here I go:

In my opinion, the statements in the article by Mr. Hanks make it sound very much as if he is admitting previous knowledge of the abuse, and rather than reporting it to the authorities, he instead chose to have the church do their own "investigation"? If true, I would think Mr. Hanks should also catch a charge for (at the very least) child endangerment, at minimum the same as what happened to the wife. It sounds like he had the power/knowledge to turn this scumbag in and put an end to this horrible abuse, but chose to take his time, if not even cover it up. Wow, just wow. IF, and please realize I say IF, I am right in my previous assumptions, this is sickening, and I hope this man fries alongside his buddy.

Additionaly, he says there were never children from the church at their house? I think he is flat out lying to our faces. However, If he is not lying and he does in fact have no knowlege of young children from his church over there, then he is either a simple minded imbecile, or is in some serious denial. Is he is really trying to tell me that every Sunday when that cargo van would pull right up to D's apartment (I will call the suspect "D" so my comments are not deleted) with anywhere from around 5-8 kids flocking out and running into his apartment, that these children were NOT members of his "church" (cough CULT)??? THESE CHILDREN WERE FRESH OUT OF CHURCH AND DRESSED UP. I recently went to the opthamologist for a new prescription, so I'm pretty confident my eyes weren't deceiving me when I would see these kids over there. Were these children just fresh out of Sunday school from a different church all the times they came over? I would think not. Or what about when "D" would take 3-4 young girls swimming in the apartment complex's pool, which I have witnessed on several different occasions recently...were none of those children members of their "church"? These are all things which I (along with my roomate, friends, and neighbors) have seen with our very own eyes, and it infuriates me that Mr. Hanks thinks people will buy his load of crap. Again, this is just my opinion, but to me, Mr. Hanks sure comes off as a lying scumbag who protects child rapists in the name of his "god", and if so, is just as guilty as "D".

(continued, see my next comment.)

hotfart 3 years, 10 months ago

(continued...)

For crying out loud, "D" was on the phone outside of his apartment sometime around last weekend, and with my bedroom window open I could clearly hear him over my TV while he loudly says something to the effect of "what those girls said is not true". I'm guessing the man with whom "D" was talking to was Mr. Hanks, and IF my guess is correct, this shows he had some previous knowledge of these crimes, in some capacity.

I'd say the ONLY good thing out of all of this is that none of us in the apartment complex (that I know of) knew of the abuse while it was occurring. This has spared both my neighbors and myself from catching a charge for brutally murdering this "man" (and the wife). But on the other side, if we had known, we obviously could have at least put an end to this.

And to you personally, Mr. Hanks...you ask "How does it have anything to do with the church?” For your answer, I ask you to look no further than cultish behavior that you and your church's members exhibit. I will say, while I may be wrong in my opinions of how you are involved in this ordeal, my opinion of you personally, your "church", and your crackpot "religion" will never, ever change, regardless of the outcome of the case. As far as I am concerned, you and every other adult member of the Heritage Baptist Church (and other whacked out fundamentalists) can go to hell for choosing to brainwash these poor, innocent little children.

Everybody deserves a fair trial; but holy crap, this sure looks like an open and shut case, especially after witnessing "D's" oddball behavior on several occasions. No, it is not a crime to be an oddball, but being a creepy oddball with young children definitely deserves some attention, and I wish the attention to this was raised earlier. I certainly hope that eventually all guilty parties are smoked out, and all who were involved suffer many years of torture at the hands of other inmates (funny, rumor has it other inmates don't play well with chesters).

That is all, thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents.

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 10 months ago

Just because no children from the church were ever at the home of the accused, doesn't mean they didn't have access to them...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 10 months ago

"He who excuses himself, accuses himself"