Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Kansas to use stimulus funds to give families one-time benefit payout

June 4, 2010

— Kansas plans to send 15,000 poor families a one-time benefits payment of $400, starting next week.

The Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services says the $6 million to provide the special benefits comes from federal stimulus dollars.

The money is for families covered by the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. It's meant to cover higher costs, particularly for utilities, that arise during the summer.

Eligible families will be notified by mail.

Gov. Mark Parkinson says he's pleased because the money will go into local economies.

Comments

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

I think its high time that some of us who have no children are compensated with some free money!!

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, I got this information form the National Center for Children In Poverty. http://www.nccp.org/profiles/index_36.html

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance provides monthly cash benefits to very low-income families based on eligibility standards set by the states. Unlike its predecessor, Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), TANF is not an entitlement program, meaning eligible families are not guaranteed benefits. One of the main goals of TANF is to transition recipients to employment, so that cash benefits are no longer necessary. Recipient families must fulfill ongoing work requirements, and there is a time limit on benefits.

The federal government sets basic rules for administering TANF cash assistance, but states have responsibility for developing their programs. Income eligibility limits and benefit levels vary widely. More than one-third of the states have an income limit of less than 50 percent of the federal poverty level, while in other states, families with earnings above 100 percent of the federal poverty level may qualify for benefits. Similarly, maximum benefit levels vary from less than $200 to nearly $1,000 per month for a single-parent family of three.

Ongoing requirements for TANF recipients also differ by state. Under federal rules, a portion of a state’s caseload must meet federal work criteria, or the state will lose some of its federal funding. The 2006 TANF reauthorization tightened federal rules in this area, but states continue to have flexibility in setting work requirements for recipients. In addition, the federal government has established a lifetime benefit limit of five years for most recipients, but states can establish shorter time limits or use state funds to extend the limit.

TANF cash assistance is funded through a combination of state and federal funds. The federal TANF block grant was created with the passage of the 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act that eliminated AFDC, the long-standing federal cash assistance program. Cash assistance is one of many supports for low-income families financed through this grant. TANF was reauthorized in February 2006 as part of the 2005 Deficit Reduction Act.

6shooter 3 years, 10 months ago

why do we keep enabling these people......they will never get the drive to stop having babies they cant afford, or get a job to pay for food, housing ect. if we keep giving these hand outs. we may as well just buy drugs and 40s and hand them out on the corrner along with the government cheese! I just dont get it. I am proud to say that my dad and 3 uncles faught their butts off in the war to protect what we have just so it can be given away today to those who are poor and wont use birth controle. quitting my 2 jobs and having 6 kids and 3 dogs is starting to sound more like the american dream. I understand that bad times fall on people but wasnt we as a nation taught to pick ourselves up, dust off and get back after it?

whatswrong 3 years, 10 months ago

They should release their last name's and let's see how much of this six million dollars ends up south of the border.

Jay_lo 3 years, 10 months ago

I hate to be critical of helping those who are truly in need, but if I read this correctly, the money goes to families covered by the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. It does not say that it is part of the program,

It says that it's meant to cover higher costs, particularly for utilities, that arise during the summer, it doesn't say it has to be used for utilities.

I can't help but feel that a lot of this stimulus money will go for cigarettes, lottery tickets, and dog food for multiple horse-sized dogs that low income people really can't afford to feed, but that they think they have a God given right to own.

wolflover1969 3 years, 10 months ago

All I have to say... Dang I feel like quitting my job, so I can spend time with my kid and be paid to do it!!!

yankeevet 3 years, 10 months ago

Working two jobs trying to get ahead; more i make; the more they take; and give it away to the non working poor............

alm77 3 years, 10 months ago

how is it local if it's for utilities? Isn't Black Hills Energy, um, in the Black Hills? I'm confused.

Dispersant 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not bothered by somebody getting something I'm not. I'm sure a lot of these people need the money. HOPEFULLY they use it wisely.

I AM bothered (along with others posting before me) that people seem to get rewarded for having as many kids as they can in this country. It should be the opposite. These practices need to be stopped soon.

How can you have kids if you can't afford them? It's pretty irresponsible in my opinion.

75x55 3 years, 10 months ago

The evil utility monopolies?

Why not just send it to BP?

Oops - how many will make sure to send in a prudent WITHHOLDING for taxes?

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Get a clue. Vote every dumb ass out. Vote every incumbent out. Vote. Vote these turds out of office. They don't get it. They want to raise taxes to pay for the idiots that want to drain us (as provided by the previous video) Do NOT vote any incumjbent in! Watch their every vote. Question them on a vote. Make sure you are comfortable with their vote. You elected 'em, why would you not want to watch what they do?

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Heaven's no do we want people to have air conditioning this Summer...

barrypenders 3 years, 10 months ago

'Socialist Progressive Articulate Dada Republic of the United States'

SPADRUS

Stimulus, Yes We Can, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

Time to rename ourselves - Socialist Republic of the United States.

Bend over and spread the wealth.

whatswrong 3 years, 10 months ago

ibroke 3 years, 10 months ago

hurling-----the money is from obama's stash

ibroke 3 years, 10 months ago

hurling-----the money is from obama's stash

Kyle Reed 3 years, 10 months ago

Grrr...things like this just REALLY piss me OFF!!

hurlingchunks 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the free money Kansas. I love America!

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Thank you Obama, for making my perfect world. I can breed, with multiple daddies, I can get food stamps for all that will work, and I can take from those who are actually productive. Welcome to Democratic America! I love America!

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Whar's mine? whar's mine? Whine whine, whar's mine?

sunny 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't those people get enough hand outs! Stop rewarding people for having kids they can't take care of!

What about the rest of us who struggle? Where is my free hand out!

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

Is a family "one" person or four unrelated? I want the "one" person handout.

Clayton Kelly 3 years, 10 months ago

i agree the money should be given directly to the utility companies... let's just keep giveing the "needy" handouts/bailouts so they will never have the desire to get out of their situation....

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

bunch of racist speciescentric bigots at kansas government:

no money for the beavers who are homeless!

besides, I bet many of these families actually own an evil car, and actually drive on roads!

some may actually drive on east 31st!

Healthcare_Moocher 3 years, 10 months ago

Fighting the urge to comment on this one.

kubacker 3 years, 10 months ago

The State should be sending it directly to the utility companies.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope they send the money straight to the utility company.

maxcrabb 3 years, 10 months ago

This is all well and good, but...

When do they start paying me to not start a family?