Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Kansas to use stimulus funds to give families one-time benefit payout

June 4, 2010

— Kansas plans to send 15,000 poor families a one-time benefits payment of $400, starting next week.

The Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services says the $6 million to provide the special benefits comes from federal stimulus dollars.

The money is for families covered by the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. It's meant to cover higher costs, particularly for utilities, that arise during the summer.

Eligible families will be notified by mail.

Gov. Mark Parkinson says he's pleased because the money will go into local economies.

Comments

maxcrabb 4 years, 11 months ago

This is all well and good, but...

When do they start paying me to not start a family?

gatekeeper 4 years, 11 months ago

They should at least let us use our pets as deductions. Those of us that aren't breeders just get to pay for everyone else's kids.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

bunch of racist speciescentric bigots at kansas government:

no money for the beavers who are homeless!

besides, I bet many of these families actually own an evil car, and actually drive on roads!

some may actually drive on east 31st!

Clayton Kelly 4 years, 11 months ago

i agree the money should be given directly to the utility companies... let's just keep giveing the "needy" handouts/bailouts so they will never have the desire to get out of their situation....

Sunny Parker 4 years, 11 months ago

Don't those people get enough hand outs! Stop rewarding people for having kids they can't take care of!

What about the rest of us who struggle? Where is my free hand out!

hurlingchunks 4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the free money Kansas. I love America!

Kyle Reed 4 years, 11 months ago

Grrr...things like this just REALLY piss me OFF!!

Andrew Reeves 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm not bothered by somebody getting something I'm not. I'm sure a lot of these people need the money. HOPEFULLY they use it wisely.

I AM bothered (along with others posting before me) that people seem to get rewarded for having as many kids as they can in this country. It should be the opposite. These practices need to be stopped soon.

How can you have kids if you can't afford them? It's pretty irresponsible in my opinion.

alm77 4 years, 11 months ago

how is it local if it's for utilities? Isn't Black Hills Energy, um, in the Black Hills? I'm confused.

yankeevet 4 years, 11 months ago

Working two jobs trying to get ahead; more i make; the more they take; and give it away to the non working poor............

Cassie Powell 4 years, 11 months ago

All I have to say... Dang I feel like quitting my job, so I can spend time with my kid and be paid to do it!!!

Jay_lo 4 years, 11 months ago

I hate to be critical of helping those who are truly in need, but if I read this correctly, the money goes to families covered by the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. It does not say that it is part of the program,

It says that it's meant to cover higher costs, particularly for utilities, that arise during the summer, it doesn't say it has to be used for utilities.

I can't help but feel that a lot of this stimulus money will go for cigarettes, lottery tickets, and dog food for multiple horse-sized dogs that low income people really can't afford to feed, but that they think they have a God given right to own.

6shooter 4 years, 11 months ago

why do we keep enabling these people......they will never get the drive to stop having babies they cant afford, or get a job to pay for food, housing ect. if we keep giving these hand outs. we may as well just buy drugs and 40s and hand them out on the corrner along with the government cheese! I just dont get it. I am proud to say that my dad and 3 uncles faught their butts off in the war to protect what we have just so it can be given away today to those who are poor and wont use birth controle. quitting my 2 jobs and having 6 kids and 3 dogs is starting to sound more like the american dream. I understand that bad times fall on people but wasnt we as a nation taught to pick ourselves up, dust off and get back after it?