Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Eudora man faces animal cruelty charges in Osage County

June 4, 2010

The Osage County prosecutor has filed two misdemeanor charges against a Eudora man accused of animal cruelty.

According to court records, Osage County Attorney Brandon Jones filed a charge of cruelty to animals and accused Salah A. Ibrahim on April 1 to April 16 of unlawfully abandoning 12 horses in a field in the county and failing to provide food, water, protection, the opportunity for exercise and other care needed.

Jones has also filed an unlawful disposal of dead animals charge against Ibrahim involving to two dead horses. The charges came after the county investigated the treatment of several horses.

If convicted of the animal cruelty charge, Ibrahim faces a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Ibrahim is next due in Osage County District Court on July 22.

Comments

lounger 3 years, 5 months ago

Just put him in a field with no clothes, shelter, water or weapon to hunt. Then we will see how he does....

zigsocks 3 years, 5 months ago

xfactor 3 years, 10 months ago

Is this the same guy that has the used car lot in Eudora?

whoswho 3 years, 10 months ago

aletheia 3 years, 10 months ago

Angel, I'm glad, for your sake, that your experience has been different. However, you're not done renting from him yet, so your story may change. My hunch is that he's getting something from your family in return ...maybe your husband takes care of his rentals or repairs for him? This man only is nice when he can save money or make money. He pays his property manager a pittance. I could go into more details regarding the terrible situation we moved into with our three children, but I don't want to give away my identity. In my opinion, this man has the potential to be dangerous and based on my experience, is very deceitful. If you don't believe me, just check the Douglas County court records. I wish I had done that before I rented from him.

As for you, Igby, my family is not scum -- far from it. We rented a nice home from him and were never late on our rent. Our mistake was that we were too naive and trusting. Salah can come across as a congenial, caring person, but he's not. It's all show for whatever benefit he can gain.

angel4dennis 3 years, 10 months ago

To somebodynew: I am not a relative thank you. I am a hard working mother of 4 with a full time job, a part time job, a wonderful husband who also works two jobs, and an appreciation for the things we have, like a house. Like I said, he has never done me wrong. Anytime I need something fixed, he has it done. I am not sticking up for him as I do not know any of his other dealings. All I am saying is he is a great landlord to us. Thank you for your opinion tho. And for the record to igby, I have never been evicted from any where. I may be the only one that he is great with but there is decency in this man. It says he has been accused, not convicted. There is probably more to the story that has not come out yet. Sorry to those of you that have not had good dealings with him.

igby 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure most of the posters are local scum whom he had to evict as well. Not defending him, but if you rent from so called scum, you no doubt, had been kick out of all the good places to rent.

It"s called by the red man; "the law of catches", "if your fishing with a dull hook, ones worm will scream and scare off all the fishes". Lol

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

And finally, a relative comes forward. Too little too late, but nice try.

angel4dennis 3 years, 10 months ago

I have rented from Doc for over 5 years now. I do not know anything about the horse situation but I can tell you that he has always been very kind to my family and our house is always fixed in a timely manner. I have nothing bad to say about the man and whatever his troubles are, he keeps it away from his tenants. At least he is kind to us and we have a decent house at an affordable price with a good relationship with our landlord. I really like my house.

been_there 3 years, 10 months ago

He tried to steal a Rottweiler once from a tenant when he thought he wasn't home. Thank heavens he was unsuccessful. I notice nobody is coming to his defense.

farmgal 3 years, 10 months ago

Charlie Sabotage 3 years, 10 months ago

Soap 3 years, 10 months ago

You guys are beating a dead horse.. And unlawfully disposing of them..

aletheia 3 years, 10 months ago

bobbie1207 3 years, 10 months ago

Abandoning any animal is inexcusable, especially if, as said by others, this person had the means to support these horses.

It does not cost $20 a day to feed horses though, unless they are on some highly specialized diet. We have 7 very healthy horses and we spend an average of $7.50 a day in feed, hay and water total. Granted, we do raise about half of our own hay and that does decrease our price a bit. Good quality hay ranges from $4 - $10 a bale and we use about a bale and a half a day plus a sweet feed mix.

As far as the horse market goes the bottom fell out of it once the US made it illegal to slaughter horses for human consumption. Combined with the falling out of the economy there are weekly reports of horses being abandoned by owners who have what they perceive as no way out. Few people have the guts, or skill, to humanely euthanize a horse with a bullet, and to have a veterinarian do the work can be several hundred dollars. And then you have to dispose of the body. Unless you have a large amount of land and it's allowed in your county you can't bury them so a call to the rendering plant must be made, which also has a price. And if you do have land and the ability to properly dispose of a 1200 pound animal in your back fields, unless you have your own backhoe and front end loader you're looking at another charge.

Often times local humane societys (which are NOT affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States) are not equipped to handle large animals. There are few resources available for horse owners who are, for whatever reason, unable to care for their animals. But then again there are those few heartless souls who don't give a rats hiney about the animal and allow it to die a slow, painful death from starvation.

domino 3 years, 10 months ago

I know that it is very expensive to have horses and people are not buying horses at this point in time HOWEVER - there is no excuse for this kind of treatment. Give them away, call the Humane Society, do whatever you have to do, but you don't just dump them! Lets put him in an outside cell about 3 foot square, "forget" to feed & water him and see how he likes it!!

headdoctor 3 years, 10 months ago

It doesn't look like Old Half Roof is doing any better at playing country boy than he does at rentals or at car dealing. You are right puzledchutoy, he is a long way from being broke although I thought he sold off several of his rental properties. He wouldn't have near as much money if he paid people he owes or actually fixed up his properties the way they should be fixed. He didn't get nick named Half Roof for nothing.

monkey_c 3 years, 10 months ago

Why was that comment deleted. Dude's a total slumlord.

monkey_c 3 years, 10 months ago

Why was that comment deleated. Dude's a total slumlord.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

He's a maggot....anyone that would let a dumb animal die, is a dips*it of thje highest order. Death penalty, although his sorry ass won't ger that. His seed will spread. End it now!

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

ku will probably hire him to sell tickets

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

ku will probably hire him to sell tickets

puzledchutoy 3 years, 10 months ago

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

we should feed the horses to the homeless. two birds, one stone.

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

i does not appear he was born and raised in douglas county perhaps he is just another one of the fine immigrants obama is so proud of

puddleglum 3 years, 10 months ago

does this guy have ONE friend? Or has he pissed off everyone in Douglas County?

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

I have read food and upkeep of a horse is $20 a day, that is why so many are being dumped. As far as this guy trying to sell them, who's buying? Can't sell them for food anymore.

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

I went to a car auction that this slimeball held some years back. Attracted a lot of people but very few vehicles sold because he put reserve prices on them that were previously unannounced. Pi$$ed a bunch of people off including me.

luckysgirl 3 years, 10 months ago

People, horses depend on us for the basics...clean water, hay and grass at the least. Leaving 12 horses in a field and allowing them to suffer because you're too lazy to take the time it takes is criminal. He deserves to be fined and penalized to the extent the law will allow. Hopefully he will be prevented from aquiring more horses...or other animals, for that matter. He's a jerk with no ethics or common sense of decency.

easyliving 3 years, 10 months ago

Apparently he claims to be a farmer...(if this is the same person)

Google search

easyliving 3 years, 10 months ago

Apparently he claims to be a farmer...(if this is the same person)

Google search

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

i think he had one of those ethnic resturants that sold curried mystery meat it when broke, aNd i guess he didnt need the horse meat anymore just a guess

juststrugglin 3 years, 10 months ago

Who is this man? What car lot? Put his name on Google he owns a lot of land around Kansas and recieves money from goverment for farm use.

LJ Whirled 3 years, 10 months ago

If a guy is "shrewd", why would he abandon animals that could be sold? Is there equine life insurance?

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

1.six moths, $500 in fines and 200 hours of community and probation for one year 2. one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500 now a. unlawfully abandoning 12 horses in a field in the county and failing to provide food, water, protection, the opportunity for exercise and other care needed/unlawful disposal of dead animals charge b.drinking and driving and killing a 20-year-old Lawrence woman. hit and run

now much up the penalties with the crime Epic Epic Fail!

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Why would you let horses die? Why? Why would you not find someone who would take care of them, or let them live as they deserve? Why? Why would you do this to God's creation? Oh i forgot, you are not of God

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

I know of this guy also. Never heard anything but bad reports about his character. Bad car deals included.

citizen0123 3 years, 10 months ago

theres no excuse for what he did.max penalties

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Believe me when I tell you this person does not need a break! He is a very shrewed business man.

mrsm 3 years, 10 months ago

Really, 50Year?! I'd like to give the guy a break...a break in his face! Piece of crap! You're no winner either...maybe someone should let you starve to death.

somebodynew 3 years, 10 months ago

50Year -

I give you a break, because I like most of your posts, BUT you obviously don't know this guy. I know his history and "track record" as a slum lord, sham car dealer, and basically an overall cheat. He deserves no sympathy in my book. I am glad to see someone catch up to him. And I hope the rest of the animals get taken care of. Oh, I my guess is, he won't show for court.

LJW stay on this and see if he actually shows (there is a history there also).

formerfarmer 3 years, 10 months ago

Drive by this guys house and look at all the vehicles setting around, not junk, play toys. He has numerous properties around the area, many rentals in Lawrence. Lack of funds is not the problem.

Paula Kissinger 3 years, 10 months ago

The thought does not occur to anyone that they are not going to be able to feed or care for their animals and find someone to sell or give them to ? He does not need a break...he needs the stiffest penalty allowed. This is not like abandoning a car, you know.

50YearResident 3 years, 10 months ago

Does the dead horse have a lawyer? Really $2500 fine or 1 year in jail when times are hard and people are losing their homes and farms. Maybe it was feed the horse and lose the farm or feed the horse and don't eat this week. Give this guy a break!