Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

Eudora man faces animal cruelty charges in Osage County

June 4, 2010

The Osage County prosecutor has filed two misdemeanor charges against a Eudora man accused of animal cruelty.

According to court records, Osage County Attorney Brandon Jones filed a charge of cruelty to animals and accused Salah A. Ibrahim on April 1 to April 16 of unlawfully abandoning 12 horses in a field in the county and failing to provide food, water, protection, the opportunity for exercise and other care needed.

Jones has also filed an unlawful disposal of dead animals charge against Ibrahim involving to two dead horses. The charges came after the county investigated the treatment of several horses.

If convicted of the animal cruelty charge, Ibrahim faces a maximum penalty of one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

Ibrahim is next due in Osage County District Court on July 22.

Comments

50YearResident 4 years, 6 months ago

Does the dead horse have a lawyer? Really $2500 fine or 1 year in jail when times are hard and people are losing their homes and farms. Maybe it was feed the horse and lose the farm or feed the horse and don't eat this week. Give this guy a break!

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Salah Ibrahim is not a farmer. He is an investor and a somewhat heartless one. This doesn't surprise me. My guess, the profit fell through and he had no need for the animals any more and abandoning them to die was the easiest way for him to get them out of his hair.

formerfarmer 4 years, 6 months ago

Drive by this guys house and look at all the vehicles setting around, not junk, play toys. He has numerous properties around the area, many rentals in Lawrence. Lack of funds is not the problem.

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

No it's not. Your are 100% correct. Hearlessness and Greed are his no 1 problems. Oh and jail time. To that i say woohoo!!!

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 6 months ago

The thought does not occur to anyone that they are not going to be able to feed or care for their animals and find someone to sell or give them to ? He does not need a break...he needs the stiffest penalty allowed. This is not like abandoning a car, you know.

mrsm 4 years, 6 months ago

Really, 50Year?! I'd like to give the guy a break...a break in his face! Piece of crap! You're no winner either...maybe someone should let you starve to death.

somebodynew 4 years, 6 months ago

50Year -

I give you a break, because I like most of your posts, BUT you obviously don't know this guy. I know his history and "track record" as a slum lord, sham car dealer, and basically an overall cheat. He deserves no sympathy in my book. I am glad to see someone catch up to him. And I hope the rest of the animals get taken care of. Oh, I my guess is, he won't show for court.

LJW stay on this and see if he actually shows (there is a history there also).

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Good guess. Get in trouble. Flee the country.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

Believe me when I tell you this person does not need a break! He is a very shrewed business man.

citizen0123 4 years, 6 months ago

theres no excuse for what he did.max penalties

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Bad with a capital B. Karma came calling.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

1.six moths, $500 in fines and 200 hours of community and probation for one year 2. one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500 now a. unlawfully abandoning 12 horses in a field in the county and failing to provide food, water, protection, the opportunity for exercise and other care needed/unlawful disposal of dead animals charge b.drinking and driving and killing a 20-year-old Lawrence woman. hit and run

now much up the penalties with the crime Epic Epic Fail!

juststrugglin 4 years, 6 months ago

Who is this man? What car lot? Put his name on Google he owns a lot of land around Kansas and recieves money from goverment for farm use.

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Sick. He's definately no farmer. Till you find a money tree you can grow he'd have no interest.

kernal 4 years, 6 months ago

The comment was "shrewd businessman" not shrewed horseman.

easyliving 4 years, 6 months ago

Apparently he claims to be a farmer...(if this is the same person)

Google search

easyliving 4 years, 6 months ago

Apparently he claims to be a farmer...(if this is the same person)

Google search

luckysgirl 4 years, 6 months ago

People, horses depend on us for the basics...clean water, hay and grass at the least. Leaving 12 horses in a field and allowing them to suffer because you're too lazy to take the time it takes is criminal. He deserves to be fined and penalized to the extent the law will allow. Hopefully he will be prevented from aquiring more horses...or other animals, for that matter. He's a jerk with no ethics or common sense of decency.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

I have read food and upkeep of a horse is $20 a day, that is why so many are being dumped. As far as this guy trying to sell them, who's buying? Can't sell them for food anymore.

pagan_idolator 4 years, 6 months ago

Or just give the horses to someone who can take care of them. Better than just letting them starve to death.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

does this guy have ONE friend? Or has he pissed off everyone in Douglas County?

somebodynew 4 years, 6 months ago

If you know him, he has pissed you off in some way. Unless you are a relative.

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

I think he's pissed off a fair number of his realatives too. He's a real piece of work.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

we should feed the horses to the homeless. two birds, one stone.

puzledchutoy 4 years, 6 months ago

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Why was that comment deleated. Dude's a total slumlord.

monkey_c 4 years, 6 months ago

Why was that comment deleted. Dude's a total slumlord.

headdoctor 4 years, 6 months ago

It doesn't look like Old Half Roof is doing any better at playing country boy than he does at rentals or at car dealing. You are right puzledchutoy, he is a long way from being broke although I thought he sold off several of his rental properties. He wouldn't have near as much money if he paid people he owes or actually fixed up his properties the way they should be fixed. He didn't get nick named Half Roof for nothing.

domino 4 years, 6 months ago

I know that it is very expensive to have horses and people are not buying horses at this point in time HOWEVER - there is no excuse for this kind of treatment. Give them away, call the Humane Society, do whatever you have to do, but you don't just dump them! Lets put him in an outside cell about 3 foot square, "forget" to feed & water him and see how he likes it!!

bobbie1207 4 years, 6 months ago

Abandoning any animal is inexcusable, especially if, as said by others, this person had the means to support these horses.

It does not cost $20 a day to feed horses though, unless they are on some highly specialized diet. We have 7 very healthy horses and we spend an average of $7.50 a day in feed, hay and water total. Granted, we do raise about half of our own hay and that does decrease our price a bit. Good quality hay ranges from $4 - $10 a bale and we use about a bale and a half a day plus a sweet feed mix.

As far as the horse market goes the bottom fell out of it once the US made it illegal to slaughter horses for human consumption. Combined with the falling out of the economy there are weekly reports of horses being abandoned by owners who have what they perceive as no way out. Few people have the guts, or skill, to humanely euthanize a horse with a bullet, and to have a veterinarian do the work can be several hundred dollars. And then you have to dispose of the body. Unless you have a large amount of land and it's allowed in your county you can't bury them so a call to the rendering plant must be made, which also has a price. And if you do have land and the ability to properly dispose of a 1200 pound animal in your back fields, unless you have your own backhoe and front end loader you're looking at another charge.

Often times local humane societys (which are NOT affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States) are not equipped to handle large animals. There are few resources available for horse owners who are, for whatever reason, unable to care for their animals. But then again there are those few heartless souls who don't give a rats hiney about the animal and allow it to die a slow, painful death from starvation.

aletheia 4 years, 6 months ago

Soap 4 years, 6 months ago

You guys are beating a dead horse.. And unlawfully disposing of them..

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 6 months ago

farmgal 4 years, 6 months ago

been_there 4 years, 6 months ago

He tried to steal a Rottweiler once from a tenant when he thought he wasn't home. Thank heavens he was unsuccessful. I notice nobody is coming to his defense.

angel4dennis 4 years, 6 months ago

I have rented from Doc for over 5 years now. I do not know anything about the horse situation but I can tell you that he has always been very kind to my family and our house is always fixed in a timely manner. I have nothing bad to say about the man and whatever his troubles are, he keeps it away from his tenants. At least he is kind to us and we have a decent house at an affordable price with a good relationship with our landlord. I really like my house.

somebodynew 4 years, 6 months ago

And finally, a relative comes forward. Too little too late, but nice try.

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm sure most of the posters are local scum whom he had to evict as well. Not defending him, but if you rent from so called scum, you no doubt, had been kick out of all the good places to rent.

It"s called by the red man; "the law of catches", "if your fishing with a dull hook, ones worm will scream and scare off all the fishes". Lol

igby 4 years, 6 months ago

My guess is the he was half-a$$ paying someone, to care for these horses and they quit and did not bother telling him. Two died and the other got found and rescued before they died. It's hard to find good help nowadays, people just take your money, steal and they move on and leave a mess to clean up.

This guy does not strike me as the type to go feed these horses everyday, himself. He may of been paying some loser to do it and they didn't do it.

notajayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Whether he was paying someone else to do it or not, as the owner of the horses, it was his responsibility to see it got done.

angel4dennis 4 years, 6 months ago

To somebodynew: I am not a relative thank you. I am a hard working mother of 4 with a full time job, a part time job, a wonderful husband who also works two jobs, and an appreciation for the things we have, like a house. Like I said, he has never done me wrong. Anytime I need something fixed, he has it done. I am not sticking up for him as I do not know any of his other dealings. All I am saying is he is a great landlord to us. Thank you for your opinion tho. And for the record to igby, I have never been evicted from any where. I may be the only one that he is great with but there is decency in this man. It says he has been accused, not convicted. There is probably more to the story that has not come out yet. Sorry to those of you that have not had good dealings with him.

aletheia 4 years, 6 months ago

Angel, I'm glad, for your sake, that your experience has been different. However, you're not done renting from him yet, so your story may change. My hunch is that he's getting something from your family in return ...maybe your husband takes care of his rentals or repairs for him? This man only is nice when he can save money or make money. He pays his property manager a pittance. I could go into more details regarding the terrible situation we moved into with our three children, but I don't want to give away my identity. In my opinion, this man has the potential to be dangerous and based on my experience, is very deceitful. If you don't believe me, just check the Douglas County court records. I wish I had done that before I rented from him.

As for you, Igby, my family is not scum -- far from it. We rented a nice home from him and were never late on our rent. Our mistake was that we were too naive and trusting. Salah can come across as a congenial, caring person, but he's not. It's all show for whatever benefit he can gain.

whoswho 4 years, 6 months ago

xfactor 4 years, 6 months ago

Is this the same guy that has the used car lot in Eudora?

zigsocks 4 years, 1 month ago

lounger 4 years, 1 month ago

Just put him in a field with no clothes, shelter, water or weapon to hunt. Then we will see how he does....