Archive for Friday, June 4, 2010

100 years ago: Keg serves as prize for engineering students

June 4, 2010


From the Lawrence Daily World for June 4, 1910: “Some time ago there was a ball game between the Chemical and the Mining engineers of the Engineering Department of the University. The game was not without its interest for the fact that there was something real to go to the winner. The something was a keg -- of ??????? -- well it was a keg and full of beer, root or otherwise. Of course the players had heard of root beer, but they were not well acquainted with it, so believed that a game would be worth while.... Everyone is swearing at the weather today and probably for good cause. It is keeping the farmers at home and in bad spirits. It is a gloomy day for the exit of the students, a gloomy day for Saturday and a gloomy day for good business. It is awful on corn, almost as bad as on wheat and worse on strawberries.... Announcement was made today that the Sigma Nu Epsilon fraternity of the university has purchased the new house lately built by J. Preston Clark which stands on the southeast corner of Oread Avenue and Hancock street. The consideration was $13,000. The present home of the Sigma Nus is at 1300 Louisiana, only a block away from their new house.”


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.