Archive for Thursday, June 3, 2010

McCartney sings ‘Michelle’ to Mrs. Obama

June 3, 2010

— If the first British invasion of the White House ended with the house afire, the latest had Barack and Michelle Obama and their kids rocking out in their seats Wednesday night at a tribute concert for former Beatle Paul McCartney.

The setting was the ornate East Room, chandeliers overhead, George and Martha Washington portraits on the walls and an all-star lineup of performers cranking out some of McCartney’s greatest hits.

Stevie Wonder had the Obamas clapping to “We Can Work It Out.” The Jonas Brothers did “Baby You Can Drive My Car.” Corinne Bailey Rae slowed things down with “Blackbird.” And Faith Hill stroked “Long and Winding Road.”

It was McCartney himself who brought down the house by belting out “Michelle,” aiming his words straight at a first lady named Michelle.

He said he’d been “itching” to perform it at the White House, and asked the president’s forgiveness in advance. The first lady was soon mouthing the words along with McCartney and the president was swaying in his seat.

After serenading the first lady with the lyrics “I love you, I love you, I love you,” McCartney joked that he just might be the “first guy ever to be punched out by a president.”

The night was built around Obama’s presentation to McCartney of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, awarded by the Library of Congress.

Comments

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

A much more fitting tune would have been 'Me and My Monkey" since she does resemble one.

g_rock 3 years, 10 months ago

I know McCartney is an activist and I'm a fan of his....I just hope that this doesn't turn sour if things go bad in the administration. Politics and Hollywood/music industry should not be bedmates IMHO.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

And "Helter Skelter".....to barrypender's chagrin. I am embarassed for this country. If socialist Europeans and Arabs scoffed at us in the past, I can only imagine what crosses their minds now.

Wow!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Taxman was nixed from the White House gig.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

'Rage Against The Machine' should've warmed up for McCartney.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 10 months ago

Sir Paul McCartney will perform at the Sprint Center on July 24, a Saturday, the website Pollstar is reporting.

The former Beatle performed at the East Room of the White House on Wednesday night after accepting the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. Reports from his previous tour stops say McCartney plays 38 to 40 songs in a 2-hour, 40-minute show.

There's no word yet on when tickets go on sale. Tickets for his July 26 show in Nashville are listed at Ticketmaster for $72.34 to $276.49.

More details will be posted when they're available.

| Keith Robison, The Star

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

"Back in the USSR" was also scratched from the play-list.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

His first choice, "That's why the lady is a tramp" was vetoed.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

Very cute; hope this shows up on the tape when it's on TV.

Mixolydian 3 years, 10 months ago

Having Stevie Wonder sing in the White House is one of the few things I give Obama props on. Stevie's a national treasure.

begin60 3 years, 10 months ago

I heard PBS is going to broadcast this Whitehouse concert within the next month. They usually post video links on facebook too.

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, at least McCartney didn't sing "Why Don't We Do It in the Road."

jonas_opines 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, at least the First Lady's name isn't Layla. That might not have given across the best message.

irvan moore 3 years, 10 months ago

i think an American should have had the honor.

funkdog1 3 years, 10 months ago

I can recall a president who spent most of his adminstration on vacation, including while New Orleans drowned.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Dear Leader's already played more golf than Bush did in 8 years. Stuff it, yourself.

spiff 3 years, 10 months ago

ery worthwhil and purswaysive opinin

citizen0123 3 years, 10 months ago

ALL HIS JERK DOES IS TAKE TIME OFF.VERY DISAPOINTING.

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

PLUS, a round of golf (what, 3-4 hours) doesn't mean he's not thinking about things or discussing them.

AND, I think I've read in several places that Bush took numerous vacations, and his presidency wasn't exactly low-key either.

So, stuff it?

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

Figures you two would be commenting first...so you actually expect the president to never do anything relaxing. What kind of uptight ahole (AHEM) would he be if he didnt?

I do recall seeing pictures of other presidents golfing and such.

I'm not saying that he should take a lot of time off by ANY means, but everyone needs a little bit of relaxation, especially when they are under constant stress, from a health standpoint.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

Celebrity bashes, golf, hoops, vacations-----all while the walls are closing in on him. How does he do it? Wonder if he's up to 2-3 packs a day yet?

barrypenders 3 years, 10 months ago

Is 'Acid' like Blotter or Mirco-dot, making a 'Come Back'?

Stimulus, Oh Well, and Posercare live unprecedented