Archive for Thursday, June 3, 2010

McCartney sings ‘Michelle’ to Mrs. Obama

June 3, 2010

— If the first British invasion of the White House ended with the house afire, the latest had Barack and Michelle Obama and their kids rocking out in their seats Wednesday night at a tribute concert for former Beatle Paul McCartney.

The setting was the ornate East Room, chandeliers overhead, George and Martha Washington portraits on the walls and an all-star lineup of performers cranking out some of McCartney’s greatest hits.

Stevie Wonder had the Obamas clapping to “We Can Work It Out.” The Jonas Brothers did “Baby You Can Drive My Car.” Corinne Bailey Rae slowed things down with “Blackbird.” And Faith Hill stroked “Long and Winding Road.”

It was McCartney himself who brought down the house by belting out “Michelle,” aiming his words straight at a first lady named Michelle.

He said he’d been “itching” to perform it at the White House, and asked the president’s forgiveness in advance. The first lady was soon mouthing the words along with McCartney and the president was swaying in his seat.

After serenading the first lady with the lyrics “I love you, I love you, I love you,” McCartney joked that he just might be the “first guy ever to be punched out by a president.”

The night was built around Obama’s presentation to McCartney of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, awarded by the Library of Congress.

Comments

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

Figures you two would be commenting first...so you actually expect the president to never do anything relaxing. What kind of uptight ahole (AHEM) would he be if he didnt?

I do recall seeing pictures of other presidents golfing and such.

I'm not saying that he should take a lot of time off by ANY means, but everyone needs a little bit of relaxation, especially when they are under constant stress, from a health standpoint.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 6 months ago

The two Presidents who spent the most time on vacation: #1 G.W.Bush, #2 Ronald Reagan.

Danimal 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't think that number of vacation days taken is a fair measure of a presidency. Jimmy Carter, arguably the worst President of the second half of the 20th century, only took 79 days during his four years in office. Maybe he would've gotten those hostages home or gotten inflation under control if he'd spent a little more time pondering solutions at Camp David or his farm in GA.

That being said, I think that people should take issue with President Obama throwing gala bashes every Wednesday at the White House during the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression; and spending hours on the golf course while tens of thousands of barrels of oil gush into the Gulf of Mexico, and American troops are killed in combat everyday. However, it's a high-stress job and he needs a few breaks. We, the people should limit our government officials to 12 (or maybe 14) vacation days a year.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

PLUS, a round of golf (what, 3-4 hours) doesn't mean he's not thinking about things or discussing them.

AND, I think I've read in several places that Bush took numerous vacations, and his presidency wasn't exactly low-key either.

So, stuff it?

citizen0123 4 years, 6 months ago

ALL HIS JERK DOES IS TAKE TIME OFF.VERY DISAPOINTING.

spiff 4 years, 6 months ago

ery worthwhil and purswaysive opinin

funkdog1 4 years, 6 months ago

I can recall a president who spent most of his adminstration on vacation, including while New Orleans drowned.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

Dear Leader's already played more golf than Bush did in 8 years. Stuff it, yourself.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

"(CNN) -- Barack Obama has come in at eighth in a list of golf-playing American presidents, higher than both George Bush and Ronald Reagan. Bush was known for his love of golf, but figures released by Mark Knoller of CBS Radio, the unofficial White House statistician, have revealed that Obama has played golf 32 times during his presidency -- eight times more than his predecessor did during his entire tenure at the White House. In fact, president Obama played a round as recently as last Sunday, when his flight to Poland for the funeral of president Lech Kaczynski was cancelled due to the volcanic ash cloud over Europe. Golf Digest magazine has ranked president Obama ahead of both Bush and Reagan, but behind Bill Clinton -- who was known to practise his putting in the aisle of Air Force One." http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/golf/04/20/golf.obama.bush/index.html

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

You apparently chose to completely IGNORE my comment before you posted again, good work.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

I was addressing B_C's question, not your mewling.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

haha, just because I made a point that disagrees with you. Awesome. :)

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

and for the record, I don't have an opinion either way. I think everyone deserves rest and relaxation, no matter what their career is. I just was pointing out how much of a double standard it is for people to complain about it when past presidents have done the same, or worse.

irvan moore 4 years, 6 months ago

i think an American should have had the honor.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, at least the First Lady's name isn't Layla. That might not have given across the best message.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Not particularly. It's hard to imagine much of anyone lusting after our current Sec. of State.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 6 months ago

I was talking about the "got me on my knees" part... Hillary isn't exactly a tease but at least she isn't divorcing her husband for her lesbian lover ;) I bet that's just an undiscovered side effect of global warming. It'll be in the next inconvenient movie.

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 6 months ago

Guess you haven't heard about the Gores, huh?

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Equally difficult to imagine anyone lusting after Tipper Gore.

beatrice 4 years, 6 months ago

Well, at least McCartney didn't sing "Why Don't We Do It in the Road."

begin60 4 years, 6 months ago

I heard PBS is going to broadcast this Whitehouse concert within the next month. They usually post video links on facebook too.

Mixolydian 4 years, 6 months ago

Having Stevie Wonder sing in the White House is one of the few things I give Obama props on. Stevie's a national treasure.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

His first choice, "That's why the lady is a tramp" was vetoed.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

"Back in the USSR" was also scratched from the play-list.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 6 months ago

Sir Paul McCartney will perform at the Sprint Center on July 24, a Saturday, the website Pollstar is reporting.

The former Beatle performed at the East Room of the White House on Wednesday night after accepting the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. Reports from his previous tour stops say McCartney plays 38 to 40 songs in a 2-hour, 40-minute show.

There's no word yet on when tickets go on sale. Tickets for his July 26 show in Nashville are listed at Ticketmaster for $72.34 to $276.49.

More details will be posted when they're available.

| Keith Robison, The Star

Flap Doodle 4 years, 6 months ago

Taxman was nixed from the White House gig.