Archive for Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lawrence second graders respond to “Nature vs. Nintendo” article

June 2, 2010

One of the rarest forms of feedback any more is a handwritten letter. So when we got TWELVE handwritten letters today, it was quite a treat.

The first letter was from a teacher at Hillcrest Elementary School:

Dear Phil,
Your article "Nature vs. Nintendo" led to a great discussion in my second grade class. Following that, they prepared responses. I thought you might find them interesting.
Yours truly,
Leellyn R. Tuel

The other 11 letters are from her students. Thanks so much everyone!!

Comments

guesswho 5 years, 2 months ago

I like the 'you should watch only 5 hours a day of computer or tv' letter...

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 2 months ago

Those are so adorable! What smart kids! Thanks for sharing, LJW!

MojoCatnip 5 years, 2 months ago

Only 10 minutes of TV at a time kids! Take Shezhanna's advice!

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

There are only 11 letters here. Shouldn't there be 12?

As for the letters themselves, just a few observations:

1) I think it is sad that these kids have already incorporated the negative and erroneous notion that if one is "fat" then one is by definition also lazy. Only two kids mentioned the real reason one should excercise and that is to be healthier and stronger.

2) For all the anti-immigrant zealots out there: With the exception of Michael not one of the kids have what one would call an "American" name: We have a Camila and a Naomi, which would could very well be Hispanic. We have a "Yang" for a surname. We have a Mohamed, who they probably would want to put on a list of suspected terrorists and then we have a Fyori, Snezhana and a Heesung. Looks to me like all those immigrants are learning English and all are becoming very Americanized.

Dena

editer 5 years, 2 months ago

Good catch—there are indeed only 11 letters from the kids, plus the teacher's. Corrected. Thanks for the heads up!

MojoCatnip 5 years, 2 months ago

ughhhhh. can we please not politicize the writings of children? sheesh. so nitpicky. and yes, i don't capitalize on purpose.

Nick Yoho 5 years, 2 months ago

Dena, Hillcrest is the ESL (English as a Second Language School) My daughter went there, I was proud to call her my little Ambassador. It was so great for her to be exposed to so many other cultures! The letters are adorably cute!

tuomega 5 years, 2 months ago

There's a good reason why this teacher is the district's Teacher of the Year! :)