Archive for Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Missing Lenexa man found alive on Johnson County trail

July 28, 2010, 6:33 p.m. Updated July 28, 2010, 11:24 a.m.

Johnson Drive and Barker

— A Lenexa man who disappeared in early July has been found alive, according to the Lenexa Police Department.

Larry Schnackenberg, 58, was found walking along a trail near Johnson Drive and Barker by a Johnson County park patrol officer at approximately 2:20 p.m. on Wednesday, according to a press release from the Lenexa Police Department.

Park officer Rick Reynolds, who has known the Schnackenberg family for years, was on routine patrol Wednesday when he found a shirtless Schnackenberg covered in insect bites on the trail. Reynolds said Schnackenberg appeared to be disoriented and dehydrated.

"I said, 'Boy! Larry! This is a good day!'" Reynolds told KMBC-TV. "(He was) real concerned about his family and how they were doing. I told him they were OK and would be a lot better now that they found him."

Schnackenberg was taken to Shawnee Mission Medical Center, where his family was reunited with him Wednesday evening. The hospital said he was in good condition Thursday.

The family released a statement through the hospital thanking everyone for their help.

"Larry has been found and is now reunited with his family," the statement said. "Please respect their privacy at this time. The family is grateful for all of your prayers and positive thoughts over these past 20 days and are thankful for this miracle.

Schnackenberg went missing on July 8 after leaving home to run errands. His unlocked SUV was discovered the same evening in Shawnee Mission Park with his ID, wallet, keys and cell phone inside.

While Schnackenberg was missing, his daughter, Kristen Schnackenberg, and her fiance, D.J. Schepker, postponed their wedding, which was supposed to take place on July 17. Reynolds said Schnackenberg told him he was disappointed he had missed the wedding.

Authorities believe the Hallmark Cards retiree had been taking shelter staying in a shack in the sprawling park. Reynolds said Schnackenberg told him he used plastic bags during the heavy rains that fell while he was in the park. But Reynolds got few other details.

"When I found him, I talked about how happy his family was going to be," he said. "What he was doing and what had transpired for the 20 days he was out here, I don't know."

Schnackenberg's disappearance led to the creation of the Twitter account @Looking4Larry and a Facebook page with a combined following of nearly 11,000 people.

At this point, it does not appear a crime was committed, said Lenexa police spokesman Officer Dan Friesen.

"There are a lot of unanswered questions," Friesen told The Kansas City Star. "Hopefully we'll get the answers to all the questions, but you just never know."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Comments

Orwell 4 years, 5 months ago

OK, so what happened to him the last three weeks? Talk about a hole in a story…

maxcrabb 4 years, 5 months ago

You need to watch JJ Abrams TED speech, and his grandfathers "mystery" box. Then you would know to leave well enough alone.

(or you'll just hate Lost even more)

Glad they found him! Finally a good ending to a missing persons case.

Amesmb 4 years, 5 months ago

Me too. I would guess he has developed some sort of mental and/or emotional problems, so I would think that if it were my family member, I'd like to keep such info private.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

How ironic...there's still a "Missing" poster on the ER doors at Shawnee Mission Medical Center - I saw it today and was talking with someone about how tragic it was that he hadn't been found yet!

I am glad he is safe and back with his family.

BruceWayne 4 years, 5 months ago

glad Larry is alive...he is ALIVE and that is all that matters."the rest of the story" is nunya. nunya f'in business.

SeaBee 4 years, 5 months ago

Totally agree - this is a story which could easily have had a much sadder ending.

Best wishes to Larry and his family - and, as far as LJW goes - this should be the end of "the story".

SeaBee 4 years, 5 months ago

"Totally agree" with BruceWayne, that is.

cheeseburger posted while I was still typing.

Shardwurm 4 years, 5 months ago

To some extent you are correct. On the other hand taxpayer resources were spent to find him and if there is nothing more to the story than the guy wandered around the woods for 3 weeks then some restitution may be in order.

JustNoticed 4 years, 5 months ago

See "Breaking Bad", season Two, fugue state.

beaul 4 years, 5 months ago

hahaha... that is the first thing i thought of too.

somedude20 4 years, 5 months ago

diito, and I saw last week on the news that blue meth is in KC. Food for thought

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

Glad he's okay. It can get pretty rough out there in Johnson County. Inexperienced hikers could walk for days and not see another human being or any sign of civilisation. That's why it's always a good idea to draw maps of where you plan to go and then fax them to the local police or Wilderness Patrol to let them know that you'll be in the area on those days.

woodscolt 4 years, 5 months ago

Great news!!!! Hope he is okay and the wedding can go on.

Andrea Hoag 4 years, 5 months ago

Can you even imagine your relief if this was your loved-one? Hope he gets the help he needs.

EarthaKitt 4 years, 5 months ago

You think this was in lieu of OBJECTING at the wedding?????

Michael Throop 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, as the comedian Jerry Colonna put it decades ago, "something NEW has been added!"

Alonzo Washington has inserted the RACE CARD..in the comic book artist's view, a "brother' wouldn't have gotten this much attention..

sigh..

olmsted78 4 years, 5 months ago

Breaking Bad is just plain quality cable television. And that's hard for me to say about most programming nowadays. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but worth checking out--

Kontum1972 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow !.....things were that bad at Hallmark....after retirement, he was flashing back....

good grief..charlie brown!

mb he is a "Time Lord" and he lost his Tardus....

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 5 months ago

Ha! Or maybe he had to disappear to alter the time line and his Tardus ended up in downtown Topeka. It would fit right in there.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

absolutely do, BB is about our favorite tv show. can't wait for the new season! if you like stuff that's a bit "off center"-watch it, lol.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 5 months ago

Dude - you've been missing out on Breaking Bad? If you watch a few episodes and don't get sucked in and absolutely love it, the hubby and I will buy you a couple beers at Free State. It's a darned good show.

maxcrabb 4 years, 5 months ago

Does that offer stand for the rest of us?

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

Hell of an ending to season #3, better then #2.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 5 months ago

So glad to hear he was found alive and the family is able to be reunited with him. Glad we were able to hear some good news!!

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 5 months ago

So happy to hear the good news! I hope he and his family are able to heal and get through this. There's definitely a LOT of questions...

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 5 months ago

"I have a hard time remembering to watch a show each week. I usually just rent complete seasons. Thanks for the beer offer!"

I stand by it. ;-)

Jcjayhawk1 4 years, 5 months ago

Ummm....if the family and community enlisted the help of the general public and used resources funded by the public....... is it not reasonable to know what the hell happened?

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

The only reason people are curious is that this guy got "lost" in the middle of Johnson County. I've ridden on the biketrail in that area many times and I realize it's a big park, but...20 days? You could pick a direction and walk that way and not have to go more than a mile or two to arrive at a street or a house or something...there's nothing wrong with being "nosy" about this. Sure, if it turns out the guy was out there because of mental problems or whatever, the specifics of that are not our business, but there's nothing wrong with wondering how the hell someone gets "lost" for almost 3 weeks in a park in a suburb...

Bob Forer 4 years, 5 months ago

The guy could have dementia. While unusual at that age, its not unheard of.

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

I am glad he was found. His personal story is not my business. I admit it sounds interesting but I don't need to know his medical or mental condition. I do not value my curiosity over his right to privacy.

monheim 4 years, 5 months ago

Google map of the two locations. A is where they found his car, B is where they found him. Whatever reason he was out there for is his business, but for him to go on foot from where they found his car to where they found him, he would have had to cross Shawnee Mission Parkway and walk past at least one subdivision.

If he really was "lost", then he most likely has some kind of alzheimers or dementia. Otherwise he was out there on purpose. Either way it's no laughing matter and an undeniably fascinating story....

meggers 4 years, 5 months ago

That was my first thought, too, Sychophant, but for him to have had such a severe episode, he would have had symptoms for a while that I'm sure the family would have picked up on. That just isn't something that comes on full force like that. Plus, when this happens to people with dementia, they usually show up somewhere upset and agitated because they don't know where they are. Somehow, this guy stayed out of sight for three weeks, finding food, water, and shelter. That takes a bit more savvy than that of your average patient dealing with moderate to late-stage dementia.

The entire thing is truly bizzare. If it wasn't dementia, my next best bet would be a head injury. There's an off chance that something like that could have compromised his short-term memory, making him just accept his existence in the park. That's a stretch, but nothing seems to make sense.

I hope the man and his family consider a movie deal, so that we can eventually get the details. Maybe some of us can even play extras at Shawnee Mission Park. ;)

olmsted78 4 years, 5 months ago

If you lose your mind for a while, your body might just wander along for the ride. Maybe you don't even really go anywhere, or very far, but you can get still get lost, even to other eyes. There are many conditions that can cause us to become mentally disoriented or incapacitated. Numerous. But still, pretty rare it pans out like this story has, apparently.

GREAT news. Glad he has been found in relative safety. Just wish more disappearances could end this way. Just pop outta the woods in a neighborhood park somewhere, lose a little weight, get some sun, hang out by that tree for a while, what-ev....

....But really, in all seriousness, i hope the family can regain normalcy as soon as possible-- glad to hear the news

geekyhost 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm so glad he was found alive. What a huge relief to everyone involved. I hope that they can treat whatever it was that caused him to wander off like that.

avoice 4 years, 5 months ago

Reality show. To help pay the wedding expenses.

lithium45 4 years, 5 months ago

First Guess: Alien Abduction. All joking aside - glad he is alive. I am sure that his family is very relieved. I cannot image the pain they were going through wondering if he was dead or alive.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 5 months ago

I promise you the police will find out if the story is true, and if he did fake it, I am sure he'll get probation. But it's a better ending then that of Lorenzen Wright, not matter what happened.

Jcjayhawk1 4 years, 5 months ago

Despite my alien abduction comment.....it is a relief to see that he is alive. But still...asking the community to get involved (to me) should render some sort of explanation. If it was a medical condition....that's cool I don't need the specifics.