Archive for Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Public voices support for Douglas County tax increase

About 50 people attended the meeting at the district courthouse to give their input on the county's budget.

July 21, 2010

One by one, Douglas County taxpayers stepped behind the microphone and outlined their support for spending — even through higher taxes — as part of next year’s proposed $69 million county budget.

For Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center. For Watkins Community Museum of History. For economic-development programs and projects. For protecting open space, supporting heritage efforts and preserving the county’s historic resources.

“I don’t like the idea of more taxes,” said Ron Schneider, an attorney who works in downtown Lawrence and lives outside of town, “but I can tolerate more taxes if I think they’re being used well.”

Schneider’s thoughts captured the essence of those from many of the 20 people who opted to speak Tuesday night at the Douglas County Courthouse. Each had taken commissioners up on their offer: to listen to any and all county residents and taxpayers who wanted to provide input about the proposed budget for 2011.

The budget, as it stands now, calls for a property tax increase of 15.9 percent. The increase would cost the owner of a $150,000 home another $90.22 in property taxes for next year.

With that as background — and after only one speaker expressly asked commissioners to cut staff, reduce employee wages and otherwise cut programs and proposals that were not limited to public safety — both Commissioner Jim Flory and Commission Chairwoman Nancy Thellman admitted being surprised that they hadn’t heard more opposition to increased taxes.

“I’m absolutely shocked,” said Flory, who said that he’d received dozens of communications opposing increased taxes, especially regarding a proposal that would provide $500,000 for economic development and set aside another $500,000 for open space, heritage efforts and historic preservation. “The comments tonight were not only not consistent with the numerous comments I’ve gotten by e-mail, letters and phone calls — they were diametrically opposed.”

Thellman, who acknowledged receiving many of the same communications as Flory, took comfort in knowing that virtually all of the people who showed up for the special public input session expressed support for budget initiatives. Thellman has pushed for additional spending for economic development and open space.

“I’m shocked as well,” she said. “Pleasantly so.”

Commissioner Mike Gaughan, the lone commissioner up for re-election this November, said that he would take Tuesday night’s comments under consideration. While he isn’t disclosing what he’ll support or oppose come 8 a.m. Monday — when commissioners sit down to start deciding what stays and goes in the budget — he noted that those who offered comments Tuesday set a good example for everyone in Douglas County to follow.

“They all have a vision for what they want this community to be,” Gaughan said.

Comments

kansasmutt 4 years, 9 months ago

So what they are saying is if you called or emailed, your dont count. WOW what a copout. In the age of online everything, they throw out and degrade anyone who used that method to show they dont feel the tax rate hike is warranted. The common people have been left behind again. Give up people, unless your in the special group involved, you dont exist to them. Very sad and very depressing to see the ones in charge , who are supposed to be setting an example , just hand over millions to the special groups. Still, not one word from any County leader of why all the waste, nor a murmer of why they use red rock to chip and seal , when the white is millions cheaper. It sickens me to see our county stoop to this new low.

redneck 4 years, 9 months ago

Sounds to me like they just want to force people like myself to move, and only have people here who make lots of money. Guess I'm an undesireable class of people (rednecks). Oh yea, I'm sure they still want the college students here, so they can stick to them for 4 years. Most college students don't care, because a lot of them will move after graduation anyway. I'm not moving, but I will start doing most of my shopping in Topeka. I'm there at least once a week anyway.

kansasmutt 4 years, 9 months ago

Mike Gaughan . So you dont think anyone who called or emailed needs to be involved ? ONLY those who could come to the meeting in person exist and should be praised for doing so ? " he noted that those who offered comments Tuesday set a good example for everyone in Douglas County to follow.

“They all have a vision for what they want this community to be,” Gaughan said. " Your words Mike. Looks to me like if you cant be at a meeting, your nobody, correct ?
. Lets ask this. Hown many emails and phone calls came in against the tax hike ? When you look at the croud who showed up for the meeting, i see many many Chamber members sitting there. Humm, money being collected by taxation,to support the Chamber, meeting with many chamber members on hand, i would guess the support would be in the chambers favor.

LogicMan 4 years, 9 months ago

"both Commissioner Jim Flory and Commission Chairwoman Nancy Thellman admitted being surprised that they hadn’t heard more opposition to increased taxes."

1) Thunder and lighting storm last night. Reasonable people don't go out in them.

2) Reasonable people also don't want to be exposed in person to the abuse of those on the left grubbing for more money and power. They are well organized, and have the silent majority staying silent and cowering in fear. Just what they want.

Vote the entire Commission out next cycle, or recall now if possible.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

@LogicMan: So, because I didn't attend I'm reasonable. However, because I'm a liberal (part of "the left") I'm grubbing for more money and power. Which is it? That's also a gross generalization and you know it.

So give it a break. Look at the picture, many of the are Chamber of Commerce members. How many of them are on the left? They're owned by "the right" in this town.

I got home from my commute at 1830 because of the storms and immediately left for a business planning meeting that lasted until 2200. I also sent the entire County Commission an email which was discounted as kansasmutt said.

beezee 4 years, 9 months ago

Yep- Those fixed on the "Left, Right, Middle" categories are missing the overall picture here. So, we ALL pay taxes, and we [pretty much] ALL are maxed out right now. And if you have the money to be satisfied with the proposed tax hike, well as my grandmother might say "mazeltov." Actually she be mad as hell over these taxes.

My guess is the money-crowd packed the meeting by giving staff time off to attend.

ILoveLawrence 4 years, 9 months ago

What?????? How about another meeting when severe storms are not imminent? And what about all the online input? I'm on a VERY fixed income and a 5 mill increase for community development and employee raises is the equivalent to two months groceries for me. Guess I'll just have to starve so I can stay in my house. Great options you've left me county commission.

parrothead8 4 years, 9 months ago

Assuming you are in a $150,000 house, and your extra taxes per year will be $90.22, I have one question:

If $90.22 equals two months groceries for you, how are you only spending $45.11 per month on groceries?

And if you ARE spending only $45.11 per month on groceries, you need to be blogging about your methods so the rest of us know how to do it.

ForThePeople 4 years, 9 months ago

They obviously do not read the user comments here! NO MORE TAXES!

yankeevet 4 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence is expensive too live in...........just work alot; and keep paying taxes;........heading for colorado; too my mountain top cabin........

Kirk Larson 4 years, 9 months ago

You think it's expensive here, wait 'till you get to CO! And count your o's. There are too many in your to's.

yankeevet 4 years, 9 months ago

what are u some kinda english 101 teacher?... tooooo this...

Kirk Larson 4 years, 9 months ago

No, just an English reader. Easy rule: use the extra o when you mean excessive or in addition. e.g. Too many o's is a spelling error, too.

notajayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

"Public voices support for Douglas County tax increase"

Wow, about 50 people showed up, about 20 of whom spoke. Yep, the "public" has spoken, alright. Let's let these 20 people decide how much a hundred thousand or so are going to pay in taxes.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

Call or e-mail the commission and express your concern - I just did that.

And I called yesterday to express my general opposition to the tax increase, at least in the present form.

notajayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I was merely commenting on the headline.

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

This is amazing.

Here's what's coming next: "The average person in Douglas County will only pay $7.50 a month for all of this. Surely we all can manage that."

It's the same thing every time. "For the cost of a Happy Meal..." trouble is we're already buying 100s of Happy Meals a week and we're sick of it!

David Roberts 4 years, 9 months ago

one degree at a time...we're all just frogs in a pot.

John Hamm 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone ever hear of "packing the house?"

CLARKKENT 4 years, 9 months ago

WOW, WHAT A MISLEADING HEADLINE. PUBLIC SUPPORT, FROM TWENTY OR SO PEOPLE, WHAT ABOUT THE THOUSANDS THAT ARE AGAINST IT?

FOLKS, YOU BETTER CONTACT THOSE 3 SELF APPOINTED GODS IF YOU DO NOT WANT AN INCREASE. AS SURE AS TODAY IS WEDNESDAY, THEY ARE GOING TO RAISE TAXES AGAIN.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

Please call the paper and complain about the headline - I just did.

Godot 4 years, 9 months ago

They wanted to make the appearance of considering differing opinions. They had no intention of abandoning their agenda.

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 9 months ago

Think about it. If your program, pet project or special interest group is dependent on other people's money to pay the bills, you're going to show up to defend the gravy train.

We shouldn't be surprised that the direct beneficiaries of government largesse are the most vocal supporters of tax increases.

Brian Sandefur 4 years, 9 months ago

I have no idea if the tone of this article actually reflects the mindset of the commissioners, but if so I'm furious. To imply that those who spoke at the meeting garner more influence (and have a vision) is so disappointing. I'm curious how many phone calls and emails were sent in opposition by those who couldn't attend? I know I was one of them. Will it be noted or not?

I'm also curious when the meeting announcement was first posted? I saw it for the first time yesterday, but I of course could have missed an earlier one.

Perhaps it's time to move from Douglas county. But not until my opportunity to vote against Mr. Gaughan and Ms. Thellman has come.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

Please call the commission and express your concern.

LadyJ 4 years, 9 months ago

Sneaky scheduling it the same night as the City Commission meeting when they're discussing the Oread street party.

devilsrighthandman 4 years, 9 months ago

What the heck is going on here. I didn't notice a giant tent being put over the county and job postings for clowns, elephants and acrobats. (Oh wait the the folks running the county already have the clown jobs). What is going to be the name of this circus? I guess it doesn't matter, I think our house is going on the market.

beezee 4 years, 9 months ago

Good luck with that because the market remains weak. And if it sold you'd move... where? This crap isn't unique to Lawrence or Douglas County by any means. Statewide and clean up to the federal level we have a cohort of "public servants" who consider the public to BE the servants.

Bury the commissioners under phone calls and emails opposing any tax hike. Sure-- there'll be a lot of whining about how we NEED all the "services" we've gotten taxed for these past years during better times. That's pure BS. We don't NEED them at all, though we may have grown accustomed to them. It's time for government to do as all of us must do: run the show within the tight limits of a down economy.

andy_b_brown 4 years, 9 months ago

As far as Mike goes I know he is still looking for input about this budget process from the public. He called me personally at home on Monday night to ask me about my opinion. I offered to meet with him to talk about it and we are going to meet later this week, before the vote on Monday. Your opinion counts and you still have time to share it.

Personally I don't want my government reps listening to anonymous postings or polls on a privately owned website. The potential for abuse and deception there is huge. I had intended to go to the meeting but stayed home because of the storm. Use the phone, write a letter, be heard.

If all you have to say is something like "No new taxes!" you might want to at least look at the proposed budget beforehand. Saying "Taxes are too high, I am opposed to preserving open spaces but support economic development." sounds a lot more informed.

beezee 4 years, 9 months ago

Andy, Andy-- wake up! The phone, letters, and attendance at meetings all have HUGE opportunity for "abuse and deception." Think of the phone calls made by call-center hacks; letters written to congress that follow canned "text suggestions" circulated by AARP and a thousand other political groups; meetings stacked by employers giving people time off to "express your opinion."

The real issue is to get commissioners to actually pay attention to the cumulative expression of public opinion. Which PLAINLY they are not disposed to DO.

sherbert 4 years, 9 months ago

Surely our city commission is not so shallow as to think that the people who spoke at the meeting hold the majority opinion. Sounds to me like they were employed people with connections to downtown or the other entities wanting money. I was sitting at home in a major storm with no electricity trying to figure out how I'm going to pay my monthly bills that are due/overdue. It's very disheartening that our government, from the top to the bottom, apparently, is so out of touch with the average citizen.

craigers 4 years, 9 months ago

What are the email addresses of the County commissioners?

beezee 4 years, 9 months ago

As did I, though it seems her main concern as a candidate was opposing the development near the airport. Since then, she has made it plain that she'd be HAPPY to trash any OTHER part of the county. And even happier to drop the bill for it into the laps of overstressed taxpayers.

She seems more and more like a shill for developers.

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

I sent Nancy an email. Got no response. Couldn't attend the meeting last night because I was working late, as always, so I can manage to pay my bills. But of course, I don't matter because I'm just a regular, working class person in Lawrence.

Nancy is a minister. As I told her in my email, I'm ashamed of her. She preaches about Jesus, but forgets that he too protested taxes.

lgreen17 4 years, 9 months ago

I sent her an email, and she sent me the same form letter back that she sent to everyone else. The she had to send another message to apologize for including someone else's email in the bottom of the letter.

I don't think they understand that we can't afford it. Everyone has a hand out, and I don't have any more to give.

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

I never even got a form letter. Must have hit a nerve with my Jesus comment.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually, Jesus said, "Give Caesar what is due Caesar. Give God what is due God" which has largely been interpreted that good christians should submit to civil authority and pay their taxes like good citizens, but their obeisance is to God.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 9 months ago

I, too, am shocked an appalled that these commissioners listened to the opinions of actual individuals who came to a public meeting and are ignoring the will of the anonymous users on ljworld.com

Shocked, I say. Shocked!

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

The article mentions that commissioners have received many calls and e-mails expressing overwhelming opposition to these increases.

Do you think they should ignore those in favor of the fewer than 20 people who showed up at the meeting?

SettingTheRecordStraight 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm shocked that our commissioners believe that the main beneficiaries of government spending - who are the people who showed up last night to defend government spending - represent a majority of Douglas County residents.

notajayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm not shocked at all that bobbie is so deluded as to think making policy because 20 people showed up is a good way to govern for the entire population. After all, those 20 people agreed with bobbie's usual tax-and-spend dogma. Betcha' one of those 20 people was the kangaroo himself.

thelonious 4 years, 9 months ago

"Public voices support for Douglas County tax increase"

I don't know if I have ever seen a headline that was more blatantly not true - if you consider the "public" to be everybody, not just a few folks who showed up in person, then the "public" actually voices opposition to Douglas County tax increase. It is clear from the story itself that the calls & e-mails are heavily against. Sounds to me like the commissioners rounded up some friends and allies to show up at the meeting and create the preception that there was support. What a load of manure!

The actual public, all of it, is overwhelmingly opposed to this tax increase, especially the $1M slush fund for "economic development" & "historic preservation".

PapaB 4 years, 9 months ago

What kind of antiquated county do we live in? Emails should count just as much as any other mode of communication, even appearing in person. I also stayed home due to the storm and find it ridiculous that, by their comments, the county commissioners are relieved that there was so much support for the increase. This makes me sick. Dirty politicians lining the pockets of their friends.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

Any source for your contention that "almost no taxpayers" here aren't on welfare?

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

Where's my check? How about my husbands? What a stupid statement. Not everyone works for the university, idiot.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

It's even worse than that - fewer than 20 people voiced support.

I'd be interested in hearing how many calls and e-mails commissioners have received voicing opposition - anywhere we might get that information?

George Lippencott 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder who organized the parade? I remember a "townhall" by our Congress lady. You would wonder how she got elected with all the nay sayers. Well organized - like last night. I bet few ther actually pay property tax.

Hudson Luce 4 years, 9 months ago

Well, if you want to be heard, I'd organize and show up en masse to the next County Commission meeting; I presume they're open to the public. To be effective, you'll have to get a couple of hundred people to show up. As for recall campaigns for the commissioner(s) who are in favor of the new taxes for "economic development"... The applicable statutes are to be found at Kansas Statutes Annotated 25-4318 through 25-4331. The people behind the recall effort should realize that "(b) Before any petition for recall of a local officer is circulated, the county election officer shall transmit a copy of such petition to the county or district attorney or to the attorney designated pursuant to subsection (c) for determination of the sufficiency of the grounds stated in the petition for recall. Within five days of receipt of the copy of the petition from the county election officer, the county or district attorney or the attorney designated pursuant to subsection (c) shall make such determination and notify the county election officer, the officer sought to be recalled and the recall committee of such determination. Such determination shall include whether: (1) The facts do not support the grounds for recall as stated in the petition for recall; ..." Kansas Statutes Annotated 25-4322 (b)

There appears to be no avenue for appeal of this determination.

Also, only one commissioner can be removed by this process. There are three commissioners, a majority is two commissioners, and the greatest number of commissioners which can be recalled is: "(c) The number of local officers serving on the same governing body which may be subject to recall at the same time shall not exceed a majority of the members of the governing body minus one..." Kansas Statutes Annotated 25-4323 (c)

and you can't pick them off, one at a time - see the same statute, part (d), referenced above.

The state recall statutes seem to support the status quo and are totally anti-democratic, which is no great surprise in a Republican state like Kansas. So if your friends the developers get three people on the County Commission, you can recall one and there's no change in the final result, the transfer of wealth and the gravy train continue to flow. Good luck trying to get the State to change this law, you don't have enough money to even get in the game... Maybe you should talk to the Solidarity kids and see what they have to say about this...

sherlock 4 years, 9 months ago

But just think, now you can party,party for 3 hours before every football game outside the Oread this fall! And even 1 hour after! People to pay increase in taxes, but its still important to make sure money is flowing for some projects here in town! Three of our city Comm. bowed to pressure! Golly what would old Lawrence do without spending so much money on anything related to Sports and the popularity and news media? First KU ticket office on the hot plate---the money spent on the high school athletic fields,Yeah great advertisement for outsiders!

Cityboy 4 years, 9 months ago

No more ... This tax payer's pocketbook is empty! I e-mailed Jim last week ... I can tell you this, if he supports a tax increase, he will not get my vote next term.

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

Since we on the internet are considered non-entities, let's use it to our advantage.

Someone create a Facebook Page called 'No Tax Increases in Douglas County, KS' and circulate it to everyone you know in the county. Once whe have 100s or 1000s of members we can use that site to coordinate a protest outside the next Commission meeting.

Then we'll see how 20 supporters look.

It can be done. Someone just needs to take the initiative to start it...and sadly I'm not Facebook savvy.

Use the internet to bring everyone together! Facebook brought a gang of rowdy teenagers to Westport...it can bring a bunch of pi$$ed off constituents to the County Commission.

irvan moore 4 years, 9 months ago

the commissioners had an open meeting about the taxes. ( i am not in favor of such a large increase) but i, A. must not have cared enough to go and voice my concerns, B. was not willing to make the effort, C. would rather stay home and watch warehouse 13, D. all of the above. (D is the correct answer for me). we were given the opportunity and chose not to take advantage of it. the people who had something to gain followed the rules and made the effort to show up, we didn't.

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

Many of us called and sent emails because not everyone's work schedule allows them to attend these B.S. meetings.

jafs 4 years, 9 months ago

If commissioners discount public input in the form of phone calls and/or e-mails, then that should be publicly disclosed.

I called and voiced my opinion, and felt that was the best way to do so.

There are many reasons why people might not have been able/willing to go to the meeting last night - does that mean their opinion shouldn't count?

yankeevet 4 years, 9 months ago

Best deal is not too own nothing..........just rent......and shack.....

Richard Heckler 4 years, 9 months ago

Over building began under Reagan/Bush when they relaxed the rules for financing homes etc etc. For more than 30 years over building the market has been in motion.

The more new building the more likely the market will never take care of itself. Why make matters worse? Boom town economies just are not smart.

In reality the market needs a moratorium because new home construction is years ahead itself.

It's time to sit back and play catch up. After all there are at least 7 million homes on the market. At least a million more are expected due to people who lost jobs can no longer make ends meet.

The carnage in retail hasn't been this bad since an anarchist bombed Chicago's Haymarket Square in 1886. In January, Liz Claiborne said it would shutter 54 Sigrid Olsen stores by mid-2008; Ann Taylor announced that 117 of its 921 stores would be closed over the next three years, and Talbots axed the Talbots Men's and Talbots Kids concepts and 22 Talbots stores. (Those muffled screams you hear are Connecticut preppies trying to suppress their rage.) Even Starbucks has scaled back its yearlong saturation-bombing campaign.

Blame that exhausted marathon runner, the American consumer. Fueled by cheap credit instead of PowerGel, she looked great at Mile 16, but bonked at Mile 23 and is now crawling to the finish line. Sales fell in December, putting the cap on a miserable Christmas season. Last week the government reported that retail sales rose 3.9 percent between January 2007 and January 2008.

But back out inflation and sales of gasoline, and retail sales fell in real terms in the past year. Clearly, demand is down.

And supply is up. This decade's building frenzy produced a bumper crop of new retail space—from McStrip malls built near new McMansions, to hip new boutiques in the ground floors of hip new Miami condo buildings. But as is the case with those McMansions and condos, the occupants for new retail space haven't materialized.

In the fourth quarter of 2007, the national retail-vacancy rate rose for the 11th straight quarter to 7.5 percent—the highest level since 1996, according to research firm Reis, Inc.

With new projects coming online—34 million square feet of retail space will be completed in 2008—the rate is expected to spike further to 8 percent. In the parlance of the trade, many chains are simply over-stored.

Con't

I hear most of the above on radio news almost daily.

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

Of course we had to have the 'Blame it on Bush' post. Thanks, but your points are irrelevant. Bush wasn't the only person in Washington. I would call you an idiot but that would be a compliment.

beaujackson 4 years, 9 months ago

Voting for ANY tax increase is long overdue.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 9 months ago

VOTING FOR ALL TAX INCREASES IS LONG OVER DUE!

Charles L Bloss Jr 4 years, 9 months ago

I guess liberals, and the wealthy, had the time to drive to the meeting. I did not. Since I could not attend, I wrote my commissioner a letter. He responded promptly. I think e-mail's & letters should have the same weight as a trip to town. Thank you, Lynn

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

Drop the liberal B.S. I'm as liberal as they come and am opposed to these tax increases and couldn't attend the meeting because I have to work.

You look really stupid making sweeping statements like you did.

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Mark Fagan wrote the article so I question the accuracy. With his love of sensationalism he should be reporting for the "National Enquirer."

sundowner 4 years, 9 months ago

NO ON TAX INCREASES - LIVE WITHIN A BUDGET LIKE THE REST OF US!!!

Godot 4 years, 9 months ago

Boot them all, and, at the same time, claw back the salary increase they voted themselves ala Charles Jones. They don't deserve to be paid for what they are doing to the property owners.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 9 months ago

"August, 1981--Tax Reform Act of 1981 enacted. Provides powerful tax incentives for real-estate investment by individuals. This legislation helps create a "boom" in real estate and contributes to over-building. "

Reagan-Bush = wreckanomics

Bush Cheney = wreckanomics

Shardwurm 4 years, 9 months ago

So true. Perhaps we should have just taxed the )*&Q out of the citizens like we are now instead. More taxes are always better. You are a complete fool if you think that the Republicans are totally to blame for this mess. Whatever...I expect nothing less from the Liberal Journal World posters. The boom of the 90s was set up by Reagan you idiot.

kansasmutt 4 years, 9 months ago

Still no comments from any of the leaders on here.I am ashamed to live with the leaders we have. They show no thought to what they do or say, just words to them. Not one can come on here and face the voters in a nice debate. What a bunch of goofs. Not one can even admit to us that online or email protests count. I emaild them and called, and got nothing in return.I guess you get what you pay for. I can tell you this, we cancled our offer on a $500,000.000 new building and are in talks with another property owner in WY county. The tax rate is much lower and the property is 30% cheaper for an additional 3,000 SF of space.It sadens me to think i was born and raised here and am being forced out by a group of special intrest loving leaders who seem to have no clue as to what is going on in the world today. I read today KC MO was only raising the tax rate 5% this session. I would be ok with a slight bump of 5% here to cover things that are not wasteful, but this 16% is $hit. I guess i can maybe be looking forward to reading of Douglas Counties failure if i move, so that is something to think about.I guess the people we have work for us can suck some of that unemployment up for the next 2 years. That should cheerp up the County leaders, yippy more unemployment, yeaaaaaaahoooooooooo. I would say email or call your county leaders, but they dont call back or email back, so thats up to you.

sundowner 4 years, 9 months ago

It doesn't matter what the people want - they already have this whole tax increase thing done.

LadyJ 4 years, 9 months ago

Whitney, I would be interested in an article telling how many people have unpaid taxes right now as compared to say 5 years ago. It doesn't do any good to raise taxes if you make it so people can't pay them. Does the county spend according to what they think they are going to get or what they actually get? Are they having to raise taxes because of fund shortages from unpaid taxes, and what are they doing about developers that don't pay taxes for 2 or 3 yrs or more until the developed property is sold?