Archive for Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lawrence to study proposal for special tax district

Some commissioners have reservations about the idea, though.

July 21, 2010

The idea for a special taxing district on 23rd Street remains alive, but it was clear Tuesday that the proposal will face some opposition at City Hall.

Commissioners at their weekly meeting directed staff to prepare a report on a proposal to create a Community Improvement Taxing district near 23rd and Ousdahl. The district would charge an extra 1 percent sales tax at four business locations: the Hobby Lobby, the former Kwik Shop convenience store, the former Subway sandwich shop and the current Yokohama Sushi restaurant.

But Mayor Mike Amyx and Commissioner Aron Cromwell both said they had concerns with the proposal, which calls for the special taxes to reimburse developers for about $1.5 million worth of largely private improvements that would be made at the site.

The plan is expected to come back to the commission for a formal public hearing in about a month. At that point, Amyx said he also anticipated a discussion about whether special taxing districts should include signage that notifies consumers of the higher-than-normal sales tax.

Comments

KidBrotherIsWatching 5 years ago

Taxes! Taxes! Taxes! Taxes! Taxes! What da-hel is it with you, Kansas? I thought you were supposed to be a "RED" state! (...Or is that only in relation to arbitrary "morality" issues?)

Just a couple of weeks ago it was the increase in the sales tax (with NO exemptions for grocery purchases, unlike MOST other states in the Union) that ultimately resulted in my abandoning my extremely genuine intent to RETURN to Lawrence (9%??? -- are you freaking serious?!?); before this I'd expressed disgust with Kansas' taxation of purchases ordered through Amazon.com, of which I'm a heavy patron... and now THIS??? And to do it so "selectively" at that? Excuse me, but that's bullshark!

If the state needs tax revenue that badly, here's an idea: include considerably MORE than just 3 personal state income tax brackets with the highest bracket set at around $1.2 million (a couple 100K higher than Maryland and New Jersey), and put a FREEZE on all those corporate tax-abatement extentions you keep tossing out like stale breadcrumbs to park pigeons.

SettingTheRecordStraight 5 years ago

Will the four businesses have the option of not charging the extra tax or will the city actually require them to charge the tax?

Either way, I will not knowingly shop at any store that charges the "community improvement" tax.

jafs 5 years ago

That's an interesting idea, but I believe it would fall under the category of vandalism, and anyone caught doing it could be prosecuted.

seriouscat 5 years ago

I have been a regular shopper at that Hobby Lobby and will never shop there again if they adopt this BS 'tax". I will be voting against all state reps who supported this corporate welfare in the next election. I will vote against any commissioner who supports this BS corporate welfare.

ARE YOU LISTENING BUSINESS OWNERS AND COMMISSIONERS?

Danimal 5 years ago

I guess I'm old fashioned and don't see the need for this tax. If the businesses want to charge their customers a little extra and use the additional profits to fix up their properties why don't they just do that? Why does everything require a tax or special permit now? It's government and bureaucracy run amok.

jafs 5 years ago

It's most likely because this way, if we're not notified, we don't know we're being charged more.

Mike Hatch 5 years ago

Hobby Lobby was west, before they moved to their current location. Where Westlakes is now.

Mr_B9 5 years ago

Grocery store (cannot remember the name), Hobby Lobby then Westlakes.

BigPrune 5 years ago

I wonder if the rich old hippy people who are in favor of the county jacking up the property taxes (that gave the county commission a breath of fresh air) will show up in support of this sales tax too?

cowboy 5 years ago

This devo group tried to raise Kwik Shops rent by 100%. Is this same owner the one who left Yokahama's parking lot in complete war zone condition for the last three years , then dumped a load of oily dirt on it for about a month , then just paved it a couple weeks ago and put in speed bumps that will tear a small car up or take the front end out of a larger vehicle. This is an owner we want to reward with a taxpayer subsidized taxing authority.

Hell No !