Autopsy report: Man died of fall from Oread roof, had alcohol and marijuana in system
A 25-year-old Lawrence man who died after falling from the top floor balcony at The Oread hotel had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time of his death, according to an autopsy report released by the coroner’s office Tuesday.
An electrician working at the hotel discovered the body of Brandon Sims on June 8 on the second floor terrace.
The autopsy said Sims died of “multiple blunt force traumatic injuries” consistent with a fall. Authorities believe he fell from the roof, a distance of more than 80 feet to the terrace where he landed. There was no sign of a struggle, nor anything out of place on the hotel’s top floor, according to the report.
Toxicology results show Sims had a blood alcohol content of more than .16, or twice the legal driving limit. He also tested positive for marijuana.
The report states that Sims, who worked for Front Row Audio, left the hotel with the rest of the crew at roughly 8:30 p.m. on June 7. His boss remained at work until 10:15 p.m. and reported that he did not see Sims the rest of the night.
The coroner’s report said that it was common for Sims to go to the roof at night after work and that he had no history of depression or known intent to commit suicide.