Archive for Sunday, July 18, 2010

Motorcyclist life-flighted after single vehicle accident near Douglas County Lake

July 18, 2010

400 block of 1814 Road

A motorcyclist was in critical condition after a single-vehicle accident Sunday evening in the 400 block of E. 1814 Road near Douglas County Lake, according to Douglas County dispatch. An air ambulance landed at Baldwin High School to transport the patient to an area hospital after emergency crews were called to the scene at 5:09 p.m.

The life flight response team was preparing to transport the patient as of 5:50 p.m. Dispatchers were checking on the KU Medical Center's availability but had yet to receive confirmation that the patient would be taken there.

Comments

Edward Coan 5 years ago

I am sorry but not surprised. Motorcycles are the most dangerous thing on the roads. Drive one and you might pay the piper...

yankeevet 5 years ago

no its not;;;;;;;;;;motorcycles are nothing but coffins on two wheels.....

bigbird11 5 years ago

I didn't say they weren't dangerous. If you want to consider all things dangerous, the list would go on an on forever. Granted, the stakes are higher for motorcyclists, the facts are out. That being said, as a previous rider, (not "driver") I would argue the most dangerous "thing" on the road are cagers like you painting their nails, texting, and yelling at your spoiled brats. While it's true it's easier for me to die if one of you a**holes hits me, does that mean my motorcycle and myself are more dangerous to myself? No. I'm also not speaking for the squids that wheelie and rev to 16k rpms all the way through town in flip flops.

Strong narrow mindedness is strong.

dsharkie8 5 years ago

Why are non smokers a protected class? Why is a bicyclist a protected class? Come on get real. Do you use your blinker every time you change lanes? Do you always drive the speed limit? If you are that perfect then you must have a deep dark secret that no one else knows. Friends of mine who have been hurt or killed on a motorcycle were hit by a non-attentive driver in a motor vehicle.

flux 5 years ago

Sorry bigbird but they are dangerous

5thgeneration 5 years ago

I thought that the Corvair was the most dangerous thing on the roads.

John Hamm 5 years ago

Sorry Pywacket Ralph was wrong about the Corvair. It handled very well IF the driver was intelligent enough to keep the tires inflated and had the intelligence to realize they were driving a rear engined vehicle. Just as any other car handles differently with incorrectly inflated tires and front wheel drive autos handle differently than rear wheel drive. And before you even ask - Yes, I was there, drove 'em and loved 'em.

puddleglum 5 years ago

Ralph only attacked the 60-63 models, which were junk.

The problems with the original Corvair design were twofold:

*Swing axles that had a u-joint only at the inboard end, leading to poor rear tire contact on sharp turns and when the rear tires encountered a bump in the road.

*The need for drastically different tire pressures in the front and rear tires, as a result of both the swing axle design and the extreme difference in weight front and rear. While I can no longer swear to the exact numbers, the quoted 15 front/26 rear sounds correct.

If GM had prominently mentioned the crucial nature of the tire pressure differential in the Owner's Manual, or if--more importantly due to the very crucial nature of the inflation pressures--they had placed a prominent sticker somewhere (door jamb, trunk, glove compartment) mentioning how important it was to have the correct inflation pressures, there would not have been many accidents that resulted from the drastically oversteering nature of the car's handling when the tire pressures were not set properly.

puddleglum 5 years ago

the difference between the corvair and the motorcycle is what happens when you get in a wreck. one has seat belts, one doesn't

Hoots 5 years ago

And what do you say when in some weeks we have had 6 SUV rollovers in one week with people ejected and run over by their own vehicle? I see more stupid behavior of people in cars than on bikes. I can't eat a cheese burger talk on a phone, text, read a book, shave, or put on make-up on my bike. Vehicles aren't dangerous, people are. The roads would be great if it weren't for you people who find hurling down the road in 4,000 pounds of metal so boring that you think you can take on several other task at the same time. There is no such thing as multi-tasking. Research have proved we are only able to do one thing at a time effectively. Don't even get me started on people who change lanes 10 times in one block just to sit next to you at the same light or change lanes without so much as a glance to the other lane.

echarles 5 years ago

Hoots. Good points. However, those people in the SUVs are in fact what make driving the motorcycle dangerous. 6 SUV wrecks with ejections a week? I think not. All the traffic deaths I can remember in town since I've moved here are cycle related, minus a couple US 59 wrecks. In a town where everything is 30 mphs, the only way to 'bite the big' one is to ride a small one.

Hoots 5 years ago

Actually, we have had that happen in one week in the county before. Numerous car accidents with injuries or fatalities do happen here within short periods of time. I get sick of the people who always blame the bikers.

WHY 5 years ago

biggunz, you my good sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. If only more people could appreciate your deep sense of respect for the life and dignity of others, we would be a much more civilized society.

WHY 5 years ago

I'm sad that they removed your post. Mine doesn't make any sense without it. LJW could you change your policy to delete only the offensive word rather than the entire post.

Danimal 5 years ago

Hope the rider is okay. I've seen a lot of friends and acquaintances get badly hurt or killed over the years, a lot of those who survived have life-changing injuries.

Motorcycles are a little more dangerous than cars, but that's mostly because of all the car drivers on the road. Beyond that, a lot of people have never really learned how to operate their bike with a high degree of skill. A good number of the people involved in crashes are either riding too infrequently to maintain their proficiency, or (and I know I'll probably catch some flak for this) riding too old. Seriously, if you're over 55 and you've never owned a motorcycle, or you haven't ridden one since the 1960's your "golden years" aren't the time to be taking up motorcycling. Of course, most motorcycling accidents are caused by cagers.

dsharkie8 5 years ago

If you don't own a motorcycle, then you have no right to judge those who do. Most motorcycle accidents are caused by a non driver driving a car, or truck or SUV who is just not paying attention or intentionally trying to run the motorcycle off the road, which has happened to me on several occasions.

Munsoned 5 years ago

This particular accident did not involve a car.

Beth Bird 5 years ago

Any update on this? Do we know who this was or their condition?