Archive for Wednesday, July 14, 2010

NAACP accuses tea party of bigotry

July 14, 2010

— Leaders of the country’s largest civil rights organization accused tea party activists on Tuesday of tolerating bigotry and approved a resolution condemning racism within the political movement.

The resolution was adopted during the annual convention in Kansas City of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, spokesman Chris Fleming said. Tea party organizers disputed claims of racism and called on the NAACP to withdraw the resolution.

“I hope it will empower the tea party to actually look at itself and see that there are those who are noticing things that I think most tea partiers don’t want,” he said.

Sarah Palin, a vocal tea party supporter, said in a statement late Tuesday that she was “saddened by the NAACP’s claim that patriotic Americans ... are somehow ‘racists.’” The former Alaska governor said claims that tea party activists “judge people by the color of their skin” were false and appalling.

Comments

Iam Tired 3 years, 9 months ago

Obama and Biden have declared that the TEA Party is not racist.

The National TEA Party Federation boots members they view as conducting racist activity.

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

The naacp is a racist organization.................just that simple............

bennyoates 3 years, 9 months ago

Tea Partiers carry signs that say things like "Taxpayers are the Jews for Obama's Ovens."

That settles it right there, for me.

Compare our President to a mass-murdering racist dictator and you and the company you keep are way out of line. You don't need the NAACP to discredit you. You've done it yourself.

Sentiments like that mean only one thing: Inciting violence against the President of the United States.

That is the message of too many Tea Partiers and too many of their supporters on this board. Most of the anti-Obama posts on this LJW board are by people who would not be upset at all if the President were to meet a violent end. That message comes through loud, clear, and frequently.

tunahelper 3 years, 9 months ago

its sad when the naacp can call the Tea Party racists, even though there has NOT been any evidence of racism, and get away with it because it's their 1st Amendment right!

But when a white American disagrees with the naacp or omaba, they are labeled racists. what a crock of bologna!

The Tea Parties in Kansas that I have been to had many Latinos, Asians, and even Blacks present! what the naacp really hates are conservative Blacks. what a bunch of hypocrites.

p.s. Andrew Wilkow is my hero!

jimmyjms 3 years, 9 months ago

"In the past there have been people who had very good issues to bring up, but they do something stupid, like burn the US flag."

Is that stupid? Here I thought it was a) protected free speech as enumerated by the very first of the amendments, and b) defined by the flag code as the proper way to retire a flag (I realize the difference in intent).

I am personally way more offended by idiots who somehow think that an America flag shirt from Walmart is appropriate. Ever.

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

nice try Iamtired. My ancestors are on the Oklahoma Dawes Choctaw rolls as Mississippi Choctaws who didn't emigrate to Oklahoma by 1906, the date that sooners or white people abolished tribal governments with the help of a Kaw Indian sellout named Charles Curtis who chose to screw over Indian Nations in Oklahoma by amending the Dawes Allotment Act in 1898 to screw over the Five Civilized and Educated tribes and steal their lands. As such, I am a Mowa Choctaw person. This tribe is based in Mt. Vernon, Alabama, with over 5,000 members, many of whom speak Choctaw. Their tribal linguist has a masters degree in linguistics from KU. Why do you people continue to call educated people liberals? I sense a resentment of educated people here.

TrooGrit 3 years, 9 months ago

George...when wanting to communicate with someone of the naacp, one would go to naacp.org. Of course, when you go there, you are going to have to subscribe to their newsletter, that will explain to you why the black man is superior to the white man. Oh, I'm sorry...you meant the "tea party". just a bunch of white social misfits.

But, if you want to join, it's: https://www.jointheteaparty.us/

Of course they're bigots and all that. I hope you go for the first, not the last! :)

George Lippencott 3 years, 9 months ago

Somebody help me. If I wanted to communicate with the head of the national tea party to whom would I write? Does anybody know what the national platform might be?

TrooGrit 3 years, 9 months ago

This is such horse crap! A group like the NAACP claiming racism! Now if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is. This is pure racism, pure and simple. I call out the NAACP to prove they are not racists!!

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

why because you deny what pther people go through. Nice statement when you know I'm right. throwing the whole you suck thing at somebody is admitting they're right. thanks for the hollow admission. Just like the rest of your denying cronies.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Tomato grower. In fact Johnson never would have gotten his civil rights stuff passed if it wasn't for Republicans. Blue dogs did not jump to the Republican party, they just did not vote Dem on this issue. Check your history there and stop trying to spin it.

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

jaywalker, until 20 years ago, history textbooks about all minorities were written with a white colonial view. That's the way George Will, William Bennett, and Cal Thomas wanted it. In their views, the actions of the majority no matter how nefarious they were became speedbumbs in the story of America. As more minorities broke through the denial of other histories wall, chuckleheads like Pat Buchanan yelled historical revisionism. No one wanted the white washed view of history to go away. There were the minor denialists like Elizabeth Tooker and the major denialists like David Duke. People are still finding ways to deny the other history of America as political correctness. I guess the opposite is american ignorance which I've seen and experienced plenty of in my forty years of life in places like LA and MS before moving here. Telling me I'm full of it is just another example of American ignorance. Telling me I'm full of it is admitting I'm right. I've seen angry southern MS people in person who are tea partiers and act despicably and sound like people here. If it walks and talks like a dog, it must be a dog. The Choctaw language was used as an unbreakable code language in World War One. Chahta iskatini anumpuli. If you aren't racist and you feel like I'm mislabeling the tea partiers, get rid of the witch doctor signs, get some historical concept and stop acting like a bunch of morons putting a Hitler mustache on Mr. Obama. That's as historically disconnected as all of the confederate flags I see around here in an area that was Union during the Civil War. People anymore are completely clueless when it comes to history. Hitler was closer to the facism of purity and racial cleansing. Gee I wonder what the Tea party is closer to?

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

I was under the impression that black people were born that way, not colored... So. does this NAACP ever stop accusing people ?? Do they ever fail to cry racist at any oppurtunity?? Just what do they hope to accomplish ?? Anything other than racism ??

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

" yes the tea party is racist due to the marginalization that they try to pull on the people they offend,"

Marginalization? You mean like taking the actions of a few and categorizing them all into the margin of racists? Tusch, your eyes gotta be brown your so full of it. And not for nothin', but what the hell does being Choctaw have to do with a lack of adherence to textbooks, as if THAT's the 'enlightened' tribe? Every textbook has obfuscations and voids, but they're not completely without facts. One can fill in the blanks, particularly if they purport to to filter as you claim to do.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

If a few of the critics who call for the NAACP to denounce more black people for their remarks would stand up and denounce the people in their party for their remarks such as the Kansan republican who called for a great white hope or denounced the tea party for their racial signs, they might have a leg to stand on. But that would mean standing up, not whining from the side lines. They also should join the NAACP and show they are against racism.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 9 months ago

citizen4honor appears to be nothing more than another incarnation of Armenius/Kevin G.

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

Iamtired, it took awhile working and all to reply back to you.. but you are entirely wrong about me. I formulate my views from about seven different sources on most occasions. The best views come from a potpourri of sources. I create talking points from synthesizing all of these view points I observe on a subject. My opinion is hardly ever from a textbook. Both parents had masters or doctorates in their fields. Being Choctaw, I don't subscribe to textbooks anyway. Textbooks doing a wonderful "Avatar" or "Dances with Wolves" summarizing without all of the genocide and the real history that majority cultures can't deal with or try to marginalize because they know they either did or benefitted from wrongs. They try to blame the people they affected to marginalize them further. Which brings me to another point.... yes the tea party is racist due to the marginalization that they try to pull on the people they offend, and yes they have no platform. Lower taxes..... really. where's the revenue coming from now genius? Lower taxes for whom... the rich people that have always gotten the breaks going back to the Rockefellers who opposed the federal income taxes in the 1910's-1920's? I love how these genuises can talk lower taxes when their policies even in the state of kansas have caused so much grief. In the late 1990's it would've been prudent to put back surpluses for rainy days so to speak. But no, the genius kansas dumblicans decided to give tax refunds and the people who complain about welfare got tax refunds. Never mind saving money for a rainy day. I remember the checkbook republicans like my grandfather who were always concerned about being solvent because of the Great Depression. I guess the dumblicans and the tealicans have ran the smart fiscally responsible republicans off. Tealicans are racist and they're running off the good people in the GOP. I say this as a Democrat.

couranna1 3 years, 9 months ago

tea party folks bigoted Of course they are nature of the conservative beast

Olympics 3 years, 9 months ago

Have you heard about the New Black Panther Party? No? Well, you must not be watching Fox News, which has spent the last week treating the fringe group as the greatest threat to democracy since... well, since health care reform.

So: Idiots. I trust you're familiar with them? Recently, motivated entirely by their selfless concern for others, they have been very worried about an incident in Philadelphia in 2008, when two members of the laughable fringe radical outfit the New Black Panther Party stood outside a polling place in fatigues and sort of vaguely brandished a nightstick and looked intimidating.

Here are some facts about that incident: The polling place was in a heavily black, heavily Democratic district. Police were called, and the two men were ushered away. No one has come forward to say they were intimidated. The Justice Department—at the time still controlled by the Bush administration—decided not to file criminal charges.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 9 months ago

IT BEARS REPEATING

Tea party Organizer with a sign using the N word (very offensive, do not click if you do not want to see it) http://houstontps.org/audio/4995.jpg

Really, how do you dismiss all of this?

gogoplata 3 years, 9 months ago

Who cares what the NAACP has to say? Not me. I wouldn't listen to a speaker from the NAAWP either. If such a group existed.

Obama doesn't suck because his black. He sucks because of his policies. GWB sucked too and he was white. Being a crappy president does not depend on your skin color.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 9 months ago

I think most of agree that the NAACP should do more to denounce seperatist groups like the Black Panthers and that the Tea Party should do more to denounce their racist members and that La Raza should do more to denounce groups like Mecha.

The one thing that is a glaring difference is, at La Raza events, NAACP events, if there are racist signs, speakers or activities, the folks doing that are sent away.

At Tea Party events, as evidenced by a mountain of fotos and videos and eye-witness reports, simply look the other way and in many cases, applaud.

That difference is significant and can not be ignored or swept under the carpet.

Patty_Magnus 3 years, 9 months ago

I see the news is reporting that Obama thinks that Al queda is racist also.

An US administration official said al-Qaeda was racist and used black Africans as "cannon fodder".

In an interview on South African television, Mr Obama said: "What you've seen in some of the statements that have been made by these terrorist organisations is that they do not regard African life as valuable in and of itself.

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP is a shill for one political party over the other.

There is something wrong on the face of political affiliation of the black minority.

No party Dem/Rep/Ind/Lib has the market cornered on the best interests of the black minority.

No political party is more racist than the other. Party ideals, all of the mainstream parties, just have different views for supporting a persons right to life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. For example one can disagree that planned versus free market principles will enable a certain amount of freedom. Which is what we want? I think it's insane NAACP is so far entrenched in Dem party.

There are black/red/yellow/white/green conservatives and liberals. Why the black minority is so stubbornly >90% democrat boggles my mind. Black conservative scholars or black tea party members are not unusual people but listen to NAACP speakers about that?. Is there no diversity of political opinion in the NAACP? Obviously not. Methinks NAACP should be apolitical and invite their black conservatives into the fold and conservative principles into their discourse. This is why they are irrelevant, they are more of a religion or democrat party offshoot than an advocacy group.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP is just justifying it's continued existance.

TopJayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually I just saw this on tv. The article is correct.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

People who are prejudiced usually don't recognize it, they really feel "that" way or "think" that way. The tea baggers thought they would skate with the usual wink and a nod. Now they blink. If Sarah is bigoted she should of spoken out against the bigotry.

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

quiet the fringes if you don't want to be called out. If you go to these meetings without any previous knowledge of what a constitutional bill is and you actually learn about the U.S. Constitution maybe you learn to realize that the Tea Party blends together bits and pieces and tells confused people what they want to hear and who they should be angry at like a tent preacher. Behind the guise of the tent preacher is republican retread Dick Armey of Texas. Nothing funnier and sadder than watching a confused bunch of older people who voted for the people who screwed this country between 2000 and 2008 trying to blame the ills of Bush on Obama. Mr Obama inherited these problems and is simotaneously fighting both the problem and trying to find solutions. How can the oil spill be Obama's problem when it was no review EIS documents following Bush's EPA precedent that led to the spill and a haliburton owned oil platform. The Tarp is actually being paid back right now by car companies and banks. A lot of things are going along that Tea Partiers want to shout over or ignore. Don't call me ignorant if you can't name ten declaration signers, the three branches of government or the difference between the Articles of Confederation and the U.S. Constitution.

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

Tusch, ivalue, olympics join the ranks of the Ignorant. Welcome to their club. You clowns apparently need to believe that all the people involved in tea party protests are simply racist. I feel sorry for you, I honestly do. Pick out the fringes and blanket them all; gee, that is reminiscent of something, ain't it?
You guys are no better than the handful of racists that infiltrate these gatherings. Congrats.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 9 months ago

10 Most Offensive Tea Party Signs And Extensive Photo Coverage From Tax Day Protests (PHOTOS) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/16/10-most-offensive-tea-par_n_187554.html

Tea Party convention kicks off with racist rant http://trueslant.com/rickungar/2010/02/05/tea-party-convention-kicks-off-with-racist-rant/

More racist signs by teapartiers Tea Party and Racism – Lovers and Friends Part II http://mokellyreport.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/tea-party-and-racism-lovers-and-friends-part-ii/

Really, how do you dismiss all of this?

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

how is watching these people yelling and acting stupid at their gatherings projecting? I'm only calling what I'm seeing while studying idiots on FOX as part of my sociology observations. Since you can only accuse me of projecting, you're admitting I'm Correct... furthermore I love how they talk this whole smaller government bs without any specific facts or examples.. sooner or later they're going to have to show some continuity or be laughed at as nother more than racist Perot retreads like my ex-grandfather.

booyalab 3 years, 9 months ago

Since Obama is half-white, how could one definitively determine whether anything negative directed towards him is directed at one half of his bloodline more than the other? Unless of course one of the tea partiers has actually said "Man! I hate the part of Obama that produced his higher melanin-content than the family that actually raised him!" If that is a common sentiment expressed in the Tea Party, by all means someone point me to where I can find it.

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

Racism is alive and well and from the looks of the mostly older and white audiences at these TP rallies is trying to talk racist code language from one side of their mouths and deny it from the other. Tea Party really.. are they organized... really? do they really have any new solutions.. no... this an attempt at a power grab by a bunch of angry caucasians who can't even come to the table with facts or organization. That Angle women doesn't even have the courage to go to a network other than the ones who softball her. I still love the Arkansas billy lady interrupting the Healthcare forum with her drawl stating I want my counnnntry backkk?

Mike Ford 3 years, 9 months ago

there's two things the tea parties known for; being loud and having no idea what they're talking about. Bush gives tax breaks to the rich while cheney does backdoor energy policy meetings that lead to no eis studies on deepwater oil platforms... Bush encourages people to shop after 9/11 and people get equity loans on homes that are pointless once the market collapses and their homes are not worth what they borrowed against. Meanwhile, hedge funds are started to bet on odds of stock market tanking, all of this because of deregulation; what is one thing dumlblicans are always known for, deregulation, dumblicans take that smaller government deregulation albatross off your back.

The one thing the dumblicans can always count on is a rural unversed mostly white populace that already has a minority boogey man in their heads that they can associate fabricated stereotypes with, i.e. limousine liberal or elite or welfare cadillacs. I've heard all of this ignorance from ex-family members so I know what I'm talking about. They haven't been able to get away with being outwardly racist since the civil rights movements of the 1960's, so they come up with code terms that equal the same mindset and label anyone who realizes their racism as being politically correct. They try to skirt the racist words by claiming that they have a first amendment right to be racist. I ended up defending Ell Roberson as K-State was playing a bowl game on TV. My ex-grandfather played the Limbaugh blacks can't quarterback comment and he brought up the 1st amendment card. He's a tea partier so I know firsthand they're racist. The racist ex-grandfather wouldn't go to a New Orleans Hornets-Dallas Mavericks game with my family because he said the NBA stood for nothing but africans. This is why this tea party person is no longer my grandfather and is responsible for causing the deaths of two family members. In closing I love how these chuckleheads bring up the Black Panthers, and La Raza and would probably still bring up AIM if they had Ward Churchill around to use as a straw man. Minority groups such as the aforementioned existed because the majoriy culture looked the other way as public and job descrimination and racial violence happened and these groups came about to stand up for equality under the law. I find it sadly and wrongly hilarious that the beneficiaries of colonialism scream reverse racism against Latino and African peoples who to this day still have to deal with pay discrimination and lack of access in the inner cities and who say all the racist things they said on an Yahoo Iroquois Lacrosse AP story via the internet yesterday.

Olympics 3 years, 9 months ago

A teabaggin' Tea Party spokesman on the NAACP:

"You're dealing with people who are professional race-baiters, who make a very good living off this kind of thing. They make more money off of race than any slave trader ever. It's time groups like the NAACP went to the trash heap of history where they belong with all the other vile racist groups that emerged in our history."

Nothing to see here....I guess we liberals were wrong.
Stay classy Republican party.

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 9 months ago

TPs are wrong. We are not overly taxed. The US is one of the least taxed countries in the affluent world. Secondly, their members have shouted out that the president should be shot, and if I remember right, a few have brought weapons. TPs think that they're modern day patriots when in reality, they're simply dusted off versions of the famous lelevision character, Archie Bunker. Sadly, that's who they are and where we are as a society.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 9 months ago

How incredibly ironic that w/in a day or so after Erskine Bowles says 'fiscal sanity' must be restored and a slew of new polls come out which are the most damning yet of ObamaCo.'s economic agenda to date, the NCAAP (as someone above keenly noted that they are not really out for the advancement of colored people so much as they are a merely a powerful working appendage of today's progressive Democratic Party) comes out swinging at the Tea Partiers (again for those who now call for civility etc, etc, and yet still say vile things about Tea Partiers, Palin and anyone associated with it, the "TEA" part stands for "Taxed Enough Already"). Expect to see the vitriole and hatred on the left rise above and far exceed it's level during the Bush years. But hey, what the heck do I know.....other than I was saying this over a year ago.

G'day and you superstars play nice now, hear?

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

Stupid is as stupid does, jaywalker.

That's all I have to say 'bout that...

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

BorderRuffian 3 years, 9 months ago

Gosh, it all works out so nicely here. Just as predicted.

ANYONE who speaks out against Obama is automatically racist. Period. Is there something about this you just don't get?

Ray Parker 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP yells racism every time it runs across anyone who does not endorse their leftist agenda. YAWWWWN.

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

Why do I say "teabaggers?" Certainly not because of some deviant sexual practice that some folks are obsessed with. In my mind, "teabagger" has nothing at all to do with that.

Tea leaves were originally prepared "loose." You can still buy and prepare loose leaf tea. Instructions can be found here:

Tea bags? Barely 100 years old:

"First appearing commercially around 1904, tea bags were successfully marketed by tea and coffee shop merchant Thomas Sullivan from New York, who shipped his tea bags around the world. The loose tea was intended to be removed from the bags by customers, but they found it easier to prepare tea with the tea enclosed in the bags. Modern tea bags are usually made of paper fiber..."

So, instead of opening the bags up and spilling out the tea leaves... people got lazy, opted for convenience, and just tossed the whole bag in their cup of hot water.

"Pre-packaged"... "pre-processed"... "convenience"... those are hallmarks of this political fringe movement. It's marketed by a handful of fringe media outlets, it provides excuse for people to make or buy signs with President Obama dressed up as "The Joker" or Hitler or some other nefarious character. Cities that host Teabagger gatherings no doubt benefit from travel and tourism dollars.

"Teabaggers" are largely hypocritical, ignorant American citizens who don't realize how good they really have it. Their specialty? Leveraging taxpayer-funded public facilities to protest the tax dollars that fund the very public park ground under their feet... tax-dollar funded stadium roof over their heads... or taxpayer-funded public transportation system that somehow didn't live up to their expectations.

The average political teabagger is motivated by a lot of false presuppositions, but for many, they're merely irked that their side lost the 2008 presidential election. The fact that their "Great White Maverick" lost to a man of color is a heavy layer of kosher salt on the weeping wound of their injured pride.

A choice was made in April 2009; rather than do some deep soul-searching, and think about the real reasons why "their side" lost the 2008 election, they took the easy, processed, convenient and very "lazy" way out and started a cottage industry of false patriotism and cyclical, artificial rage.

It took no longer than popping a tea bag into a mug of hot water. In 2009, on Tax Day, I even had co-workers that taped Lipton tea bags to their doors, as a sign of "solidarity."

The only real winners of the Teabagger movement? Lipton, Bigelow, and Celestial Seasonings.

That's what it's all about.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Mixolydian 3 years, 9 months ago

ilikestuff 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP, a once prominent organization has lost any and all credibility. With featured speakers like race hustlers Sharpton and Jackson how can anyone take them seriously.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

"Debate was mostly closed to the public, but the final version “calls on the tea party and all people of good will to repudiate the racist element and activities within the tea party,” said Hilary Shelton, director of the NAACP’s Washington bureau."

There are racist in the tea party. Are all the tea party member racist? No. That's why they are calling on the tea party supporters to "repudiate", or otherwise reject those within their group who have been openly racist. There is nothing bigoted about their statement. They aren't even saying the tea party is racist. What they are saying is there have been incidents at tea party rallies that are racist. Remember you are judged by the company you keep. If the tea party supporters do not want to be considered racists, then they should reject the support of those people who are.

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

As I acknowledged earlier, most or all of the video footage that we've been seeing the past 24 hours or so was shot last summer. Maybe some of it was shot during some of the gatherings that were held earlier this year, to protest the health care reform bill.

Again, denak nailed it: This was a good opportunity for someone like Sal Russo, Joe Wierzbicki, Deborah Johns, or Mark Williams to stand up and say, "Hey, those are fringe crackopts exercising their First Amendment rights. We respect their free speech rights, but we do not agree with them. Here's what most of the good people in our organization are really about..."

The teabaggers have become the porcupines of the Conservative Zoo. Interesting to look at, fun to watch... from a distance. You don't want to get too close, and you surely don't want to touch them.

I don't know how many of you have seen the John Hughes classic "Sixteen Candles," but Russo, Wierzbicki, Johns, Williams, et al remind me of Caroline, Jake Ryan's blonde, prom queen girlfriend. She invited the entire senior class over to Jake's house for a party, and not once offered to help Jake clean up the mess.

If there's another rally this September, it'll be interesting to see what efforts, if any, are made by the organizers to present a cleaner, better-mannered, better-dressed, and better-educated public "face" to America.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

From CNN last summer…

In Louisville, Kentucky, two young men in camouflage fatigues roamed the crowd trying to recruit new members for their militia called the Ohio Valley Freedom Fighters. They bear signs reading “AK-47s: today's pitchfork” and “Quit worrying. Start your militia training today.”

In Jackson, Michigan, a young man didn't need a sign. He was carrying the real thing: A loaded AK-47 assault rifle and two loaded handguns.

“I don't want a revolution. I don't want a civil war,” he said. “But it is a possibility. It's there as an option, as a last resort.”

From the stage, Deborah Johns and Mark Williams never interact with most of these characters. Russo shrugs it off, saying that the early stages of every political movement have people like this.

To Wierzbicki these troubling elements are just part of the price of a grassroots movement. He is convinced they will not derail the movement.

“The message will be moderated by the time it gets to 2010,” he says.

Well, here we are… more than halfway into 2010. Has the message moderated yet? Back in February, Britain's "Times Online" (Saturday edition) had this rather interesting look at a tea bagger meeting:

Whenever you walk into a room for the first time, your eyes are immediately drawn to something in that room: A painting or mural on the wall, a television, maybe a baby grand piano or an ornate sofa. Right now, the fringe elements--if they are indeed "fringe"--of the Tea Bag movement are serving that purpose. You go to a protest, and if there's a big sign that has President Obama depicted as Hitler or Stalin or The Joker or some racist stereotype... that's what your eyes are probably drawn to. Or it may be the guy holding up a rifle, or somebody on stage shouting angry, bitter invective into a microphone.

Those first impressions are the ones that tend to last.

[more]

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

Looks like denak was the only person who bothered to actually do some reading before responding.

NAACP Delegates Vote to Repudiate Racist Elements Within Tea Party

Today, NAACP delegates passed a resolution to condemn extremist elements within the Tea Party, calling on Tea Party leaders to repudiate those in their ranks who use racist language in their signs and speeches.

The resolution came after a year of high-profile media coverage of attendees of Tea Party marches using vial, antagonistic racial slurs & images. In March, respected members of the Congressional Black Caucus reported that racial epithets were hurled at them as they passed by a Washington, DC health care protest. Civil rights legend John Lewis was called the “n-word” in the incident while others in the crowd used ugly anti-gay slurs to describe Congressman Barney Frank, a long-time NAACP supporter and the nation’s first openly gay member of Congress.

Missouri Representative Emmanuel Cleaver was spat on during the incident, and so it was particularly appropriate that the resolution was passed as NAACP delegates gathered in Kansas City for our 101st Annual Convention.

The proposed resolution had generated controversy on conservative blogs, where in some cases the language has been misconstrued to imply that the NAACP was condemning the entire Tea Party movement itself as racist.

The resolution will not become official NAACP policy until approved by the National Board of Directors in October.

A lot of this is just rehashing old stuff. The NAACP holds their big convention in July, every year; last years big teabagger rallies--when the news footage of all the nasty signs was gathered--occurred in August or September 2009. So the NAACP folks have had 10 or 11 months to sit on this stuff, compose and edit multiple drafts their resolution, plan what they were going to say at the meeting, and so forth. It's not like the resolution was frantically put together on Monday night, in response to something that happened on Monday morning, or over the weekend.

[more]

Patty_Magnus 3 years, 9 months ago

There is much confusion in the world currently – more than usual, it seems. The Internet itself is very obviously an evolution that the elite did not expect. In fact, the combination of the Internet and the financial crisis has certainly proven toxic to certain elite dominant social themes. Global warming has been exposed, basically, as a hoax; Western fiscal and monetary policies are seen by many increasingly as a manipulation; and the economic crisis has undermined people's belief, both in the direction of the European Union and also, I believe, (see the Tea Party) as to where the American economy is headed as well.

I think it is perfectly likely that the next "shoe' falling will be an American one. We've maintained almost from the beginning of this crisis that the problem had to do with the failure of fiat currencies, generally, not with the insolvency of particular financial products or companies. The difficulty, in other words, lies at the monetary core. A broad swath of Western fiat currencies, including the dollar, are basically seen as insolvent by those who are forced to use them.

Conclusion: Investors, as pointed out, are going to continue to have a rough go of it. In the 20th century one could perhaps isolate dominant social themes and bet on them with some level of surety. And yes it is tempting to believe that level of infallibility exists today from an investing standoint. (Certainly it would make things eaiser.) But I simply don't think it's the case. (Nor am I unhappy to come to that conclusion.) Now I where it all ends up. But what comes afterward, in my view, when the crisis is finally over – really over – will be different than what we see today. That's a reality from my point of view, not a dominant social theme.

tsunami9320 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP will have a leg to stand on when it passes a similar resolution targeting the Black Panther Party. Until then...

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

When the president addresses the NAAWP, you let us know. Okay?

kscityrobber 3 years, 9 months ago

Rev. al , Rev jesse and the naacp dont want racism to die.. why would they. then there would be no use for them anymore... equallity is the last thing the above want...

Steve Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

What else would you expect them to do, they are " pot stirers" ..

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

Looks like we just got ride of a sock puppet or two...

Mud_Flap 3 years, 9 months ago

Ah yes...the bashers are out in force today.

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

I would love to hand over some weapons to a tiny room with all close minded right and close minded left ("extremists") and let them actually do some "good."

Seriously.

rockchalk1977 3 years, 9 months ago

A desperate act by an irrelevant organization. The NAACP’s mission is to advance one race and that’s racist in itself. Robert Gibbs already said it, November will be a train wreck for the dems and nothing the NAACP does is going to change that fact. How’s that “hope and change” working out for you?

RATM 3 years, 9 months ago

The African American equivalent of the KKK is accusing a political action group calling for smaller government of racism? Hilarious you can’t make this stuff up. It is a good tactic to accuse people of your own shortcomings before people start to look at you.

bobberboy 3 years, 9 months ago

P.S. The tea party in no TEA PARTY.

bobberboy 3 years, 9 months ago

bigotry hah - more like neo-nazis.

Kathy Getto 3 years, 9 months ago

The most severe form of racisim denial is "reversal" which seems to be becoming a very familiar tactic of the extreme right. It is always easier to deny an imperfection, whether personal or institutional.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

you betcha Sarah...wink...wink!

ivalueamerica 3 years, 9 months ago

So many people overlook the racism because they like the rest of the message.

They do not realize that in that process, they are providing legitimacy to racists.

If they truly valued America, they would figure out how to present their same message WITHOUT the racists. By not doing so, they are promoting racism be it directly or though inaction does not matter.

Olympics 3 years, 9 months ago

From the Fox News corps (aka yahoo):

Stay classy Republicans/Tea Baggers, stay classy.

Kash_Encarri 3 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Pot I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

Sorry folks, but there are racists people of all faiths, ethnicity and skin color.

While there may be some tea partiers that are racists, there are many more who are not.

While there are many blacks who are racists, there are many more who are not.

When it comes to the NAACP, I'm not so sure you can make that statement.

Kash_Encarri 3 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Pot I'd like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

While there are many blacks who are racists, there are many more who are not.

When it comes to the NAACP, I'm not so sure you can make that statement.

FreshAirFanatic 3 years, 9 months ago

The NAACP gets the case against this guy for voter intimidation dropped, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBhzJn..., and then calls others racist.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Mud_Flap 3 years, 9 months ago

No doubt there are elements of racism in the tea party. However, there are elements of racism in the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, the New Black Panther Party, the NAACP and any other organization you may want to name. Having said that, I have not SEEN anything connected with the tea party suggesting racism. I know several may cite the supposed incident at the Capital. Supposedly, black Congressmen were spit on and racial slurs were hurled. To date, there has been no veifiable proof that this happened despite BigGovernment.Com offering a $100,000 reward for proof that the N-word was used at this event.

salad 3 years, 9 months ago

Not sure if they're guilt of bigotry, but 100% sure they're guilty of crazy.

Liberty_One 3 years, 9 months ago

The headline for this story is just too funny!

denak 3 years, 9 months ago

The headline is misleading. The NAACP did not accuse the tea party of bigotry. What the resolution called for was for the Tea Party to repudiate "extremist elements" and "those who use racist language in their signs and speech." It does not make a blanket generalization about the whole tea party movement nor does it claim that "patriotic Americans are racist."

What the Tea Party leadership, including Sarah Palin, should have said in response to this resolution is " The Tea Party appreciates and shares the concerns of the NAACP. The Tea Pary movement catagorically denounces racism and extremism and will work diligently to create an atmosphere that promotes the values of our great country."

And then left it at that. They, the Tea Party, missed a golden opportunity to address these concerns. Instead, they became defensive and added fuel to the fire.

Dena

denak 3 years, 9 months ago

Dena

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Ooh! NAACP, Tea Party, and racism. This thread should go well!

/where's the popcorn?

Seriously, can we just lock the NAACP and the Tea Party into a large room or arena as necessary and let them take care of each other for the rest of us?

grammaddy 3 years, 9 months ago

The teabaggers aren't racists so they call upon the NAACP to withdraw their resolution condemning racism. right!

beobachter 3 years, 9 months ago

If you believe anything the teabagger bimbo says, you are beyond hope. Not even mental health professionals can help you.

Norma Jeane Baker 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm with Norml on this one. The same thing can be said about the NAACP.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 9 months ago

They sure did cover alot of ground at that meeting.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

The only item in their toolbox is a hammer so they have to keep on claiming that every problem is a nail.

Mixolydian 3 years, 9 months ago

citizen0123 3 years, 9 months ago

make all the resolutions you want,theres a shortage of toilet paper.

citizen0123 3 years, 9 months ago

make all the resolutions you want,theres a shortage of toilet paper.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

I make the same accusation right back at the NAACP!