Archive for Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Heat advisory for Douglas County expires

July 14, 2010, 12:45 p.m. Updated July 14, 2010, 9:05 p.m.

9:04 p.m.

The heat advisory that was in effect for Douglas County has expired.

12:45 p.m.

The National Weather Service has issued a heat advisory for Douglas and surrounding counties from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday.

The combination of high temperatures in the 90s and dewpoint temperatures in the mid-70s will cause heat index readings to be between 105-110 degrees.

Counties included in the advisory are:

• Douglas
  • Wabaunsee
  • Lyon
  • Osage
  • Franklin
  • Coffey
  • Anderson

This includes the cities of Marysville, Hiawatha, Concordia, Clay Center, Manhattan, Abilene, Junction City, Topeka, Lawrence, Emporia and Ottawa.

Prolonged exposure to heat index readings above 105 degrees can cause:

• Rapid dehydration
  • Exhaustion
  • Heat stroke

If you plan to be outside, the NWS recommends avoiding long periods of sun exposure and strenuous physical activity. Use sunscreen, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids to avoid dehydration and wear light-weight, light-colored and loose fitting clothing.

It is likely the advisory could be extended into Thursday as portions of northeast Kansas are expected to see a heat index above 105 degrees.

Comments

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

My weather station shows that the HX peaked at 107 around 430p. Now at 105. Bleah.

pagan_idolator 4 years, 11 months ago

That sounds like a good idea for dogs too. They could just lay on it. My dog has never been an outside dog and would probably drop dead if she was outside for more than 5 minutes,

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

I've got the mister going on the kennel. They be likin' it.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

When we had rabbits, we froze gallon jugs of water to put in the hutch with them; worked well and they loved it.

lawrencelifer 4 years, 11 months ago

Sitting by a campfire near Estes Park right now, breathing in the cool, mountain air. I'll try to bring some of it back with me next week. (the cool air, not the fire)

parrothead8 4 years, 11 months ago

You're sitting by a campfire in Estes Park, and the best thing you can think of to do is get on the Internet?

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

My thoughts exactly, parrot. Should've gotten further off the grid.

Irenaku 4 years, 11 months ago

Aww..come on...I am so addicted to my email/facebook/ljworld/cnn/onion, I took it to Colorado, too!

countrygirl 4 years, 11 months ago

We'll be out there in a couple of weeks. That's if we can survive the heat!

redmorgan 4 years, 11 months ago

Thank God the power is back on. It was getting way too hot in here without the A/C. Yes, pets need to be indoors today, and check on your elderly neighbors to make sure they are staying cool :)

somedude20 4 years, 11 months ago

Can you believe that there is a heat warning in the summer, gadzooks! I mean, I would expect this type of weather around December or January but definitely not in July......

kernal 4 years, 11 months ago

Per TWC, current Lawrence temp 94 with HX 108. Death Valley current temp 111 with HX 106. Where's Baskin Robbins when you need them!

ronwell_dobbs 4 years, 11 months ago

Shouldn't the teabaggers be who were so apt to point out the snowstorm in winter proved climate change was a hoax be recanting their noise right about now? After all, it's hot in the summer.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

ah yes, I love it when it snows and right thinkers show up saying "well, guess we can forget about the global warming thingy..."

yes, I feel the perspiration running down my pulsing thighs. I am a workout machine. I am riding my bike high in the alps-going faster than Lance, faster than lil' Andy. I am sweating out the margaritas from the night before, many people look at me and gawk. I am beyond beautiful. I am a sight of harmony with my rich, glowing attractiveness highlighting my fancy and chic cycling kit. An array of sponsors adorns my buldging but still amazingly trim physique. It is hot for sure, but I AM HOTTER!
my pretty wheels go round and round-reflecting my rays of greatness; tranquilizing the spectators in a state of euphoria, unable to put their fingers on it-but they know nobility when they look at it.