Archive for Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Service restored in east Lawrence after crane runs into power lines

July 14, 2010, 8:35 a.m. Updated July 14, 2010, 10:20 a.m.

Over 2,600 Westar Energy customers in east Lawrence lost power around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. The outage lasted just over two hours.

Westar spokesman Nick Bundy said a crane ran into power lines near a substation, which caused a transformer to fail. The areas without service were located north and south of 23rd Street and east of Massachusetts Street.

The company's website shows that nearly all customers in Douglas County have service.

City road crews put up temporary stop signs at 17th and Massachusetts streets to help direct traffic while stop lights were down.

Comments

LogicMan 3 years, 9 months ago

How's the crane operators? I remember from years back that one who worked for a local building supplier was killed or injured, as was at least one killed up at the energy center.

JJE007 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm NORTH of 23rd and east of Massachusetts and east of Haskell. My power was out but is back on.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

agilla--Be an adult about this. If it is that important to you, take off from work and check your house. Stop wasting your employers time by getting paid to "multi-task" to check on your personal problem. Hope you aren't working in an ICU someplace.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 9 months ago

That wasn't the Westar crane truck I seen cutting through side streets to avoid traffic was it?

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

@feetup, you are right around the corner from my house. please keep me updated, thanks! the lady at Westar (very helpful & considerate) says she cannot tell from her system which houses have power & which do not. at first, she seemed unaware that there was an outage. she said I would have to go home or send someone to my house to check for power. then she said everything looked like it was up & running. I'm going to trust that, as long as my fridge & freezer stay shut, everything will be all good when I get home later...

David Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

I know that this is not an emergency, so I would never call 911 for this sort of thing; but I tried to call in to Westar's emergency line several times and couldn't get a person. Pressing 0 actually disconnected the call. The reason why I wanted to speak to a person is that in order to report a power outage, you had to give your 10 digit account number, which I don't have memorized. Our billing is paperless, so I don't have a statement lying around either. Westar's computer gatekeeper seems to not respond to me identifying my address, or anything other than 10 specific numbers. Perhaps Westar would consider accepting either the 10 digit number OR billing address when a customer calls to report an outage.

Just a thought.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

It happened in the neighborhood near the holidome yesterday at about the same time for about 30 min.

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

we used to have outages all the time due to a transformer in the trees in our neighborhood - either the wind, the tree limbs, or squirrels launching themselves into it often caused an outage at the drop of a hat. but they fixed that, so we haven't had an outage in several years. was it a kamikaze squirrel, perhaps?

BallHawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, rate increases always seem to be the talk...yet the more they increase their product the less reliable it becomes. We have had at least 3 or 4 power outages since the 4th in my 'hood and the wait time seems to get longer each time, up to 2 hours on a couple of them. Is there an issue we the public should be aware of ? Something we can do to help gain reliability?

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

@sweng - that map is pretty worthless, it's too small to see exact locations, so I called the 800 number. the wait time on hold is 32 minutes...

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

this was due to the boobquake that happened yesterday

wmathews 3 years, 9 months ago

We've put some calls into Westar and the city and hope to have some updates shortly. We're getting reports that a few stoplights are out, too, and we're trying to confirm which intersections (if any).

Whitney Mathews Online Editor

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

@parrothead8 - I am multi-tasking, sweetheart. some of us can do that quite efficiently. @sweng - thanks very much! practical information that I can actually use!

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

my house is north of 19th Street between Haskell & Harper. how about north of 19th? they said "north and south of 23rd street," what does that mean exactly? isn't just about everyone who lives in Lawrence either north or south of 23rd street?

youngjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Hope power is restored quickly; this humid heat is brutal. Everyone - drink lots of water and keep a check on neighbors & pets.

sweng 3 years, 9 months ago

this map might be useful to some people stuck at work, click on lawrence to zoom in and see the neighborhoods where people have reported outages : https://www-11.westarenergy.com/outagemaps/outagemap.asp

mom_of_three 3 years, 9 months ago

I know it involves houses east of Haskell.

agilla 3 years, 9 months ago

how do I know if my house is one of those which lost power? I am at work & not at liberty to go home & check. What about the hundreds of dollars worth of food in my fridge & freezer? could someone from the LJ-W please find out the exact area of the outage & post it for us? That would be grate, thanks

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

For the sake of these residents, I hope they are able to get it back up quickly. This would be an ugly day to be without air conditioning. If they can't get it back on I hope there's a community center or somewhere that residents can go, especially the elderly or medically fragile.

muffdivn 3 years, 9 months ago

It sure is dark in here at amarr. It is starting to get a little warm as well. I could care less about the lights but some a/c would be nice.

leeroy_johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

Day 2. I see rate increases in the near future. It will help protect the power.