City commissioners will receive a briefing from representatives with Hamm Quarry Inc. regarding proposed increases to the rates the Hamm landfill charges the city.
Operators of the Jefferson County-based Hamm landfill are seeking nearly a 30 percent increase in the fees they charge to accept Lawrence trash. City staff members are estimating that city trash rates will need to increase by about 7.5 percent to cover the higher tipping fees and other operational increases. The increase would amount to about an extra $1 per month for standard residential customers.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the City Clerk’s Office.
• Bid and purchase items:
a) Award bid for Project No. PW1014, 2010 Concrete Rehabilitation Program, to R.D. Johnson in the amount of $273,520.00.
b) Set a bid date of July 27 for 1,425 tons of hot mix asphalt.
c) Award Bid No. B1039 for the Wastewater Treatment Plant HVAC Chiller Replacement to Chaney Inc. in the amount of $67,450 and authorize the city manager to execute a contract agreement.
• Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
a) Ordinance No. 8537, removing stop signs on 11th Street at Indiana Street and establishing stop signs on Indiana Street at 11th Street; establishing a multi-way stop at the intersection of 11th Street and Louisiana Street, and establishing a multi-way stop at the intersection of 11th Street (east leg) and Mississippi Street subject to reconstruction of the private driveway on the west leg of the intersection.
b) Ordinance No. 8538, establishing no parking along the north side of 13th Street between Oread Avenue and Louisiana Street.
c) Ordinance No. 8541, for Text Amendment (TA-4-6-10) to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, Article 12 to reference 2010 effective dates for new Floodplain Overlay District Maps and related regulation changes.
d) Charter Ordinance No. 40, authorizing the Nov. 2, 2010, ballot question to the voters of Lawrence concerning authority to issue up to $18 million in general obligation bonds for the renovation and expansion of the library and related parking facilities.
e) Ordinance No. 8544, calling a special election on Nov. 2, 2010, for the purpose of voting on Charter Ordinance No. 40.
f) Ordinance No. 8529, for Special Use Permit (SUP-3-4-10) for the construction of the North Bowersock Mills & Powerhouse, Utility and Service, Major, at 250 N. Powerhouse Road.
• Approve Rezoning, Z-3-4-10, of approximately 2.61 acres from PD (Home Improvement Center-PCD-2 with use restrictions) to PD (Home Improvement Center-PCD-2 with use restrictions amended to include office uses), at 2000 and 2040 W. 31st St. Submitted by Landplan Engineering for Broadway Plaza II Lawrence Inc., property owners of record.
• Approve Rezoning, Z-4-5-10, of approximately 12 acres from PCD-1 (Planned Commercial Development) to CS (Strip Commercial), at 1025-1035 N. Third St. Submitted by KDL Inc. for I-70 Business Center LLC., property owner of record.
• Authorize staff to negotiate a project scope and fee for engineering services with Bartlett & West for the Iowa Street (U.S. Highway 59), Yale Road to Bob Billings Parkway (15th Street), Street Reconstruction and Geometric Improvements, Project No. PW1012.
• Approve Resolutions 6891 and 6892 authorizing the issuance of General Obligation Bonds for main Trafficway improvements, specifically: Sixth Street from Massachusetts to Folks Road in an amount of $900,000 and Bob Billings Parkway from Kasold Drive to Crestline Drive in an amount of $1,300.
• Authorize mayor to sign joint letter to the NRCS in support of funding for Yankee Tank Dam improvements.
• Authorize the city manager to sign an agreement with the state of Kansas for capital and operating assistance funds in the amount of $250,986 for the Lawrence Transit System.
• Initiate Text Amendment to the City of Lawrence Land Development Code, Chapter 20, Article 6, Section 20-601 to increase the maximum dwelling units per acre limit in the RM32 (Multi-Dwelling Residential) District.
• Authorize submission of applications for funding of an airport gravity sewer main in the amount of $592,762 and submission of an application to build a 20-unit T-hangar in the amount of $1.3 million, identifying that the T-hangar project is the priority to be funded.
• Authorize the city manager to execute the letter of agreement with Eisterhold Associates Inc. for interpretive planning and design services at the Carnegie Library not to exceed $50,000 for the Schematic Design Phase of the project.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Receive briefing from Hamm Quarry Inc. concerning proposed landfill rates for 2011 and beyond.
• Consider authorizing publication of the 2011 Budget Summary and establishing July 27 as the public hearing date.
• Receive staff report on statutes governing primary elections for office of city commissioner and direct staff as appropriate.