Johannesburg Preparations for the 2014 World Cup are back on track just two months after FIFA publicly criticized organizers for missing deadlines, Brazil’s top soccer official has said.
“There are no problems,” Brazil soccer federation president Ricardo Teixeira said as the tournament’s official logo was launched Thursday.
He acknowledged uncertainty over Sao Paulo’s role as a host city after Morumbi Stadium was removed from the project last month — despite repeated denials it would have to be dropped.
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke previously described Brazil’s lack of progress as “amazing.”
FIFA awarded the 2014 World Cup hosting rights six years ago, but Brazil has barely begun building and renovating the 12 stadiums it needs.