Advertisement

Archive for Friday, July 9, 2010

100 years ago: New park still without name

July 9, 2010

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily World for July 9, 1910:

“J. E. Rastall was a mere lad of sixteen when he came to Kansas in the early fifties. This week Mr. Rastall has been visiting Lawrence. He is an interesting character and talks reminiscently of the early struggles of the state. When Sheriff Jones burned the Eldridge, Mr. Rastall was one of those who early began working in the ruins. He carries a scar yet which resulted from handling the hot stones. Mr. Rastall is delighted with the progress made by Lawrence since his departure years ago, and considers it one of the prettiest little towns he has ever seen.... There is still no name for the new park, which is so rapidly taking form at the end of the car line. The committee are finding it more and more difficult to agree upon a name from the large number of strikingly clever ones submitted.... The report of the County Health Officer for June shows a decrease in the number of contagious diseases. The number of deaths is considerably less than the record shows for last year. There were fewer infectious diseases in the summer months, because of the open-air habit of the people. Closely shut houses with poor ventilation form an excellent propagating place for germs, while in the summer children and women most likely to be affected spend a great share of their time out of doors.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.