Archive for Thursday, July 8, 2010

Police alerted about door-to-door scam

July 8, 2010

Lawrence public schools contacted police after being alerted about a door-to-door sales scam on Wednesday.

A resident notified the school district that two young girls were asking for donations door-to-door in west Lawrence. The resident said the girls said they were selling magazines for a Free State High School drama club fundraiser in order to pay for a trip to New York. They said the name of the magazine company was Marquis Fulfillment Agency, and they asked the resident for $100, part of which would go toward supporting veterans’ hospitals.

Free State High School is not working with the magazine company and is unaware of the fundraiser. Residents should contact the Lawrence Police Department at 832-7509 if they are approached by the girls.

Comments

hawkman8950 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't buy regardless of it being legit or not. Far rather order it by online order or getting the publication i want and sending the card in

das 4 years, 5 months ago

From another story...... "Anyone selling products door-to-door must purchase a $25 solicitor's license from the city clerk's office at City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St. Cory said some folks are selling without one, a crime that can land violators in jail."

Moral is......don't trust even young girls....

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 5 months ago

More stereotypes----"Don't trust even young girls." Bottom line, just stay completely out of strangers' business unless your judgment and social skills are way better than those of your average local country bumpkin.

das 4 years, 5 months ago

More stereotypes???....I'm saying just the opposite.......

Bottom line is a swindler can look like ANYONE. You don't think these "young girls" were thinking that how they looked would help the scam?.....It's called Social Engineering. How about I rephrase since you don't seem to get it - Looks can be deceiving. Why do you think I posted about the license that they must be carrying?

Bailey Perkins 4 years, 5 months ago

Just do what I do, especially for those selling magazines to win trips to lavish destinations- confront them and state that you know exactly why they are on your doorstep (sell to win), tell them to get a real job, traveling to such destinations requires real effort and accountability -- by now they are afraid and speechless and have figured out that they have made the wrong choice by stopping by. :-)

Boston_Charley 4 years, 5 months ago

"average local country bumpkin"? Why are you ignoring us average local town bumpkins?

anonyname 4 years, 5 months ago

Are you not sure you can tell them apart from the other pairs of girls coming to your door to sell magazines??? Not sure what else you need to know. Two girls saying they're trying to sell magazines for Free State HS.

I was going to give them credit for using the name of a real company...until I saw that there are all kinds of complaints online for exactly this scam.

sherlock 4 years, 5 months ago

this type of scam seems to go thru all the time. Its usually some young person, who probably really thinks they are going to take that nice trip, IF they win. They are sincere in their efforts, but the people pushing them to do this are the ones that need to be confronted by the law! They bring the young people to town and give them a sales pitch and drop them someplace and telling them they will be picked up at a later time! A nice young man stopped at our door last year and he was so happy, hoping to win a trip to Rome! Yeah sure, all he had to do was sell a ton of magazines! Its sad that they get taken in for a ride too! I wanted to enlighten him that there was NO trip! Guess is safer to just not answer the door anymore!

williamself 4 years, 5 months ago

So, you're suggesting they were tricked into believing they are mambers of the Free State Drama Club? These girls knew exactly what they were doing.

LogicMan 4 years, 5 months ago

Stopped by here too, maybe two weeks ago. One was taller/older than the other; maybe 12 or so.

whats_going_on 4 years, 5 months ago

While you're hunting for them, can you also take away the morons who keep trying to preach the word of __ to me with their sad little pamphlets? They are like gnats, constantly around and constantly irritating.

momof2ku 4 years, 5 months ago

YOU CAN ALSO ADD ON THE ONES THAT SHOW UP WITH A RUBBERMAID FULL OF CANDY BARS AND LAUNDRY SOAP FOR SALE. SOME VAN DUMPS THEM OFF IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH. VERY IRRITATING. ONE TIME THEY TORE OFF A SIDE MIRROR TO OUR CAR FOR SAYING NO!

Danimal 4 years, 5 months ago

Lock'em up and throw away the key. These are the worst kind of scum that our society has. Robbing someone at gun point is one thing, attempting to con people out of their money reaches different lows. Given their young age, I would guess these girls will become more sophisticated and eventually end up working at Goldman Sachs.

rubyslipper 4 years, 5 months ago

They showed up at our door last Saturday. One was a brunette girl but had bleached her hair blonde but you could see her roots, hair was past her shoulders. She was probably 19-21, and slim. The other girl had longer hair I believe brown and pulled back into a ponytail, she was a bit heavier. They blonde did all the talking and said that she was the grandaughter of such and such neighbor. Which I don't know all our neighbors. She said she was having to prove to her grandparents that she was serious about going on a trip to London for her drama class and she would be performing in front of the Queen. She had no badge to show and then whipped out a list of magazines. We got hit with a door to door magazine scam 8 years ago and I told her we don't buy magazines from anyone now. I thought the whole thing was a bit off.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

I will never buy anything from someone who shows up on my doorstep trying to sell it to me. I'm not beneath letting the Kirby people clean my rugs when I have no intention of buying, however. :)

matahari 4 years, 5 months ago

My guess is that these girls were coached by an older and behind the scenes person

alor 4 years, 5 months ago

Not only do I NEVER buy from anyone who comes to my door, I NEVER let any solicitor inside my house either. Same goes for anyone seeking info or wanting me to contribute by phone. After their first few words, I say "I'm sorry, I'm not interested" and close the door or hang up. Better safe than sorry, it saves a lot of time, and it's the truth!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 5 months ago

several years ago one of these young ladies came to my door selling magazines. I invited her in, we enjoyed a joint and I purchased a 12 mo. subscription to Popular Science. and yes, I did get the magazines. But never saw that pretty girl again...

pfunk81 4 years, 5 months ago

You guys got it all wrong, it was a FUNraiser!

KaraGourley 4 years, 5 months ago

Several weeks ago I was out front when a beat up car dropped off a teen boy he said he was with boyscouts and trying to sell something. Being that my neighbor kid was a boyscout I said no figured he'd be hitting us up.... but something didnt really seem right about the whole deal... The very next day the driver of that car approached me in the Dillons parking lot trying to get me to pay him $1.00 for a brochure.

Deb Engstrom 4 years, 5 months ago

There are always young people in our neighborhood selling things. They always are willing to show me their permit. I always give them a few bucks for their cause, but don't buy their products. Then I try to talk to them about getting a different kind of job.

Kat Christian 4 years, 5 months ago

If they were twins I know who they are. If someone comes knocking at you door asking for donations in lieu of coupons for CiCi's Pizza - also a scam. Lawrence police have already been informed of this scam and apparently didn't think anything was illegal about it. But most of the money was not for a valid donation, instead maybe used for gas, beer and cigarettes. So be on the lookout.