Archive for Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just call it NPR

July 8, 2010

— No need for formalities here: National Public Radio now says it wants to be known simply as NPR.

So the organization has quietly changed its name to its familiar initials. Much like the corporate names KFC or AT&T, the initials now stand for — the initials.

NPR says it’s abbreviating the name it has used since its debut in 1971 because it’s more than radio these days. Its news, music and informational programming is heard over a variety of digital devices that aren’t radios; it also operates news and music websites.

Hence: “NPR is more modern, streamlined,” says Vivian Schiller, NPR’s chief executive. She points to other “rebrandings” by media organizations, such as Cable News Network, which has been plain old CNN for years.

NPR hasn’t formally announced the change. But it has told its staff and some 900 affiliated stations in recent months to refer only to NPR on the air or online.

Comments

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

Come to think of it, everyone just quit referring to him

thebigspoon 4 years, 5 months ago

And that is different from what MacHeath said how?????

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

NPR's news reporting is actually slightly to the right of center-- you don't maintain access inside the DC beltway, otherwise.

Their commentary tends to be slightly left of center, but with a generous dose of right-leaning commentators.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"f you report one thing and ignore another then that is commentary. "

No, that's either bad reporting or propaganda (both being primary characteristics of Fox.)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

And their reporting of the wars/military is similarly somewhat right of center, for the same reason. If you're too critical of either, you don't get easy access.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

"you guys need me here."

Plenty of others just like you. They may not post as much, but they certainly say just as little.

It's okay though, no one thought that your claim to leave had any truth behind it. I doubt that there's anyone here who's opinion of you went lower.

Rex Russell 4 years, 5 months ago

Uh, no we don't. More like-you need this board,

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

True, those paranoid schizophrenic hallucinations can be terrifying...

Kyle Reed 4 years, 5 months ago

News flash...for those that keep saying "I thought you quit posting here" well apparently he didn't. You were wrong.

WhyYouSoStuben 4 years, 5 months ago

Everytime you say the word "libs" a fairy dies.

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe this will allow some of the rightwing nuts to allow themselves (without self-flagellation) to listen to something really informative programming. I have several relatives and friends (of sorts) who cringe at the name "National Public Radio" , convinced it is run by left wingers, eco-nuts, pinkos, whatever! Many of them get their information from the talking heads coming down from admittedly right wing spinners. Our real problem long term problem in the US is the planned "dumbing down" and "anti-intellectualism" of the population that seems to be the mantra of much of the "Right". Good luck!

WhyYouSoStuben 4 years, 5 months ago

I heart NPR. "...cringe at the name "National Public Radio" sounds like the Car Talk sign off...

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

correction -

Our real problem long term problem in the US is the planned "dumbing down" and "anti-intellectualism" of the population that seems to be the mantra of much of the democrat and republican parties. The media outlets enable them.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 5 months ago

I get to listen to NPR for a couple of hours per week day. I have found that they actually ask very insightful questions of the people they are interviewing. One can still discern that as a whole the NPR staff hold to a higher moral ground then most.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 5 months ago

"Fox News is one of the few trustworthy news sources."

And Harvey the Rabbit is a close second, right, Tom?

jafs 4 years, 5 months ago

How is it that you really believe Fox isn't as far right as you claim the others are far-left?

Or do you just say that stuff to get a rise out of folks?

bad_dog 4 years, 5 months ago

If attempting to goad posters into a response is the best you have to offer, you really do need to "quit". That is unless it's akin to a Brokeback Mountain thing for you. You know, you just can't quit it?

I just perceive you as the local Beck/Coulter/Limbaugh/Hannity wanna be. It makes it much easier to read your posts with a smile on my face.

Have a good day and keep 'em coming. It 's the best and cheapest form of entertainment around for me!

puddleglum 4 years, 5 months ago

TAS sez: Fox News is one of the few trustworthy news sources.

Puddleglum: man, I haven't laughed that hard in at least 3 days. Fox news is trustworthy and fair and balanced, even they say they are. They even have commercials proclaimeing how fair and balanced they are-so they have to be. i love Fox news digest. they never have opinions, just cold hard facts.

leapinlemur 4 years, 5 months ago

"Fox News is one of the few trustworthy news sources."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Sure, if you think the following constitutes trustworthy news:
- whipping rednecks, illiterates and d*^&Sbags into a poorly-disguised racist furor - anything that Glenn Beck (a.k.a. McCarthy) says - substituting stock footage of well-attended rallies for actual footage of a handful of Teabirthers walking around with pictures of Obama that have been altered in various racist manners

The only thing you can trust Fox News for is to put a right-hand spin on news.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

NPR is the third leading cause of smug in America. It's only a few points behind the Prius and Apple computers.

monkey_c 4 years, 5 months ago

Nearly blew some Starbucks out of my nose as I cruised down the street in my Prius, reading this on my iPhone and listening to NPR...smugness...ahhhh.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

Reminds me of the King of Queens episode where Doug starts wearing a black turtleneck and listening NPR.

Jeremy DeBoard 4 years, 5 months ago

Because there's no room for forgiveness in the hearts of conservatives?

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

The "dumb-downers" and "anti-intellectuals"are coming out of the woodwork. Time for you to get a re-fill of Rush, Glenn. etc, etc.,.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Tom, are attacks really all you have to offer? Really?

Rex Russell 4 years, 5 months ago

I have found that if I compile NPR newscasts with BBC World news, I get a pretty good actual view of what's happening. These two outlets have the least amount of slant and bias. The news has corroded and corrupted into "news" tailored for targeted audiences of a certain political bent. In the past, in the newspaper realm of old, this ideal was limited to the editor-in-chief (selected by the owner). The political and social bent was obvious by the occasional editorial. But it was occasional. In todays 24/7 news cycle, the "bent" of the news networks are wholely dipped in the official ideology in every aspect of programming. From what they report, the stories they choose not to report, the commentary news-shows that are sandwiched between news, news as we used to know it is dead. I miss the news in it's factual form. Whether having a left or right bias, the news as a political propaganda organization, holds no value for me.

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

Tom: You might be correct about the coming elections after 06 and 08 success by Dems. But like Roger Miller sang in "England Swings Like A Pendulum Do", the US will eventually swing back the other way. The problem for you right wingers is that you are alienating you future voters by whipping up hate mongers.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 5 months ago

I like NPR. My favorite program is "Wait wait don't tell me"

ivalueamerica 4 years, 5 months ago

I have longed theorized that people hear what they want to hear and having answered phones at literally hundreds of NPR and PBS on-air campaigns over the years and across the country, I have enough anecdotal evidence to convince me my theory is correct.

I was answering phones at an NPR affiliate on the west coast one day and there was a story about whatever the latest Arab-Israli confict issue was at the time.

The moment it was over and we went back to a pledge break, the phones started ringing.

Usually the people who call know that it is a pledge line usually staffed by volunteers, but some people do not understand and think it is some sort of hotline.

The first call I answered was some raving screaming lunatic yelling that NPR must stand for National Palestinian Radio because they only offer the Palestinian perspective. I simply replied that I am glad they listen and I am glad it moves them, would they like to donate. The lunatic hung up.

The very next call I answered was equally aggitated screaming they are tired of only hearing the Jewish Perspective and accused NPR of being very anti-Arab.

Both those people heard the exact same article as the other. They heard what they wanted to hear and it was evident that had nothing to do with what was said.

I suggest a large portion of people who listen to Fox and to Democracy Now are guilty of the same thing. If they do not hear their preferred opinion in a news story stated as though it is the only possible fact to consider, they label the report biased.

It is called immaturity.

weeslicket 4 years, 5 months ago

love car talk. click and clack are the voice of america. (well, 2 voices, anyways)

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

The one thing I can say about NPR is balanced. Whenever their reporters interview someone they play the devil's advocate. If the interviewee is conservative, they ask the liberal questions. If they are liberal, they ask the conservative questions. They allow commentaries from all sides. Keep up the good work.

weeslicket 4 years, 5 months ago

also really respect the pbs newshour . great dialogues.

feeble 4 years, 5 months ago

David Frum and Robert Reich are standing commentators on Marketplace, along with Megan McArdle, who should have some fans on this forum, given the number of posters who are also self-professed libertarians. Personally, I like Felix Salmon, mostly for his sarcasm.

David Broder and E.J. Dionne are regulars on All things considered as well. NPR certainly does try to strike a balance between the commentators it invites on the show.

That said, I've heard Robert Siegel/Michael Steele interviews that were unintentionally hilarious.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Wrongo Tom, NPR isn't and never was close to center of the political spectrum. True NPR provides insightfull commentary and does include those from the right of center at times. On the body of work, NPR is to the left of BBC (under attack recently in GB for being too blatently 'left'.

Car Talk is the best apolitical thing NPR does. NPR needs to do more obtuse, non political stuff like this and recognise they are camped out on the left. Just as FOX is on the right. FOX is just a jazzed up NPR on the other end of media political spectrum.

feeble 4 years, 5 months ago

Help me out here:

FOX is to the right, and NPR to the left, but NPR employs a regular FOX commentator (Mara Liasson) as one of NPRs principle anchors and commentators. How does that not pull NPR closer to FOX on the right?

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

it's the other way around. mara was first npr commentator '85 to present and in '97 hired as contributor and panelist, same for juan williams fox is weighed to the right but does try to foster the debate. same for NPR but from the other end of left/right spectrum.

The difference? NPR gets some money from gov't, FOX fills niche in market.

The time ain’t far off when a woman won’t know any more than a man. (Will Rogers)