Archive for Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jayhawk Bookstore sold to Nebraska Book Co.

July 7, 2010

The Nebraska Book Co. has bought the Jayhawk Bookstore, 1420 Crescent Road, the store’s current owner said.

“After 33 years of building an icon here, I decided to step out of actually running the store,” said store owner Bill Muggy.

The new owners, a national wholesale and retail bookstore conglomerate, will take over July 15, Muggy said.

The company also owns the University Book Shop, 1116 W. 23rd St.

The Jayhawk Bookstore won’t be moving, Muggy said, and the personnel are expected to remain largely the same. He declined to disclose the financial details of the sale.

Comments

geoismeo 5 years, 1 month ago

Bill Muggy, a legend in his own mind.

rtwngr 5 years, 1 month ago

It takes nothing to be kind. One must go out of their way to be mean spirited. If you don't have something constructive to say, maybe you should consider saying nothing.

Eddie Muñoz 5 years, 1 month ago

I wish everyone on the internet followed this advice.

LogicMan 5 years, 1 month ago

"NU leaves the Big 12"

"The Nebraska Book Co. has bought the Jayhawk Bookstore"

Will be a very cold day that I darken their doorway after the 15th.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

very understandable. Because the sports program at Nebraska has everything to do with this private company that just recently purchased a local bookstore. I bet you don't much care for Nebraska Furniture Mart or the Lincoln Town Car either.

cozy 5 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you should look into how corrupt the Nebraska Book Co. is. There are many complaints about them trying to rip people off. One scam is that they will buy a book from you then wait until you send it and Demand their money back and not return the book.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 1 month ago

I have no problem with boycotting based on actual business policy. I just have a problem with people hating the company because of some ridiculous idea that they are affiliated with any sports team.

booklover 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey Linwhitney Please block this account. Its a repeat spammer. kthnxbai

newmedia 5 years, 1 month ago

Much easier to purchase a Big 10 tee shirt now !!

Jeteras 5 years, 1 month ago

that will be awesome... I can see the big sign now... CORNHUSKER BOOKSTORE!! right on campus,... man what an idea!

Eddie Muñoz 5 years, 1 month ago

They don't do that at the University Book Shop, why would they do it now? Driving away customers isn't a good business plan.

Truthspeaker 5 years, 1 month ago

Does this mean the bookstore is now part of the Big 10?

Lisa Rasor 5 years, 1 month ago

That depends. The so-called Big 10 actually had 11 teams, and now that they've added Neb., they have 12. So maybe they should be the Big 12. As for KU, our conference now has 10 teams, so shouldn't we be known as the Big 10?

JayhawkAlum03 5 years, 1 month ago

Add this to the list of bookstores owned by Nebraska Book Company. UBS on 23rd is also a NBC store. I will not shop at either.

Do a quick Google search for the company (try "nebraska book company scam") and you find many instances of how they run their used book-buying business. Amazon has hundreds of posts and complaints regarding their business practices. Many have filed complaints with various organizations, including the BBB and attorney general. It's one thing if it happens once or twice, but everyone I know that has had an interaction with the parent company has been screwed. This is simply how they do business. Sad to see Jayhawk Bookstore will now be part of that.

Eddie Muñoz 5 years, 1 month ago

Seems like the used college book business is a big scam anywhere you go. Buying back at $.50 and selling for $50...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

Here's some bookselling trivia: Where did Bill Muggy get his start in the textbook business?

A: Nebraska Book Co., about 40 years ago.

I once worked for Bill. He loves that bookstore in a way that can almost be described as "erotic". I assumed the bookstore would only change hands after someone found Bill dead at his desk in the year 2042. I'm surprised he's letting go.

Amy Heeter 5 years, 1 month ago

How funny this would upset people. There are 5 major companies that print of textbooks in this country and 3 of them contract for distribution out of the plains states using presses in Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska.

whatadrag 5 years, 1 month ago

Beat the Bookstore has consistently been a better place to buy books when I don't get them online. Jayhawk Bookstore wanted to charge me $165 for a $50 book. scalpers

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 1 month ago

And, for all you "I don't want to buy from a Nebraska company" people: Bill buys and sells nearly 100% of his used books with NBC, so if you bought used books at JBS, you were doing business with NBC anyway.

cozy 5 years, 1 month ago

Never did business with any of them. kthx

overthemoon 5 years, 1 month ago

Just hope they continue with the art supplies. best source in town for real stuff.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

sad sad news.

I am also astonished that Bill is letting JBS go. makes me wonder if in a week or a month the other shoe is gonna drop.

God bless you Bill. we also remember your doubledecker bus man!

remember couple years ago there was a funny controversy between a couple of bookstores, don't think JBS was involved, where allegedly one bookstore had hired somebody to follow a car hired by another bookstore. then one nutcase poster presumed that that follower was a private investigator ... etc.

jgier 5 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I'm a reporter for the Kansan. I'd like to get a quote from you about the double decker bus. Please e-mail me at cali_krueger@yahoo.com. Thanks!

tomatogrower 5 years, 1 month ago

Wow, are there still apartments above the store? I used to wish I could live there when I was in college, just so I could walk everywhere.

jgier 5 years, 1 month ago

I know that I'm requesting information on your publication's web site, and sometimes it's a good way to get alternative sources.

I was trying to find someone to give me a personal account with the Jayhawk Bookstore's double decker bus.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I posted a comment asking for sources. Maybe I didn't submit the comment. I do see a comment I posted in reply to somone else's comment.

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I know. No problem. I don't believe you successfully submitted the other question. You're welcome to try again.