Archive for Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Jayhawk Bookstore sold to Nebraska Book Co.

July 7, 2010

The Nebraska Book Co. has bought the Jayhawk Bookstore, 1420 Crescent Road, the store’s current owner said.

“After 33 years of building an icon here, I decided to step out of actually running the store,” said store owner Bill Muggy.

The new owners, a national wholesale and retail bookstore conglomerate, will take over July 15, Muggy said.

The company also owns the University Book Shop, 1116 W. 23rd St.

The Jayhawk Bookstore won’t be moving, Muggy said, and the personnel are expected to remain largely the same. He declined to disclose the financial details of the sale.

Comments

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, are there still apartments above the store? I used to wish I could live there when I was in college, just so I could walk everywhere.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

sad sad news.

I am also astonished that Bill is letting JBS go. makes me wonder if in a week or a month the other shoe is gonna drop.

God bless you Bill. we also remember your doubledecker bus man!

remember couple years ago there was a funny controversy between a couple of bookstores, don't think JBS was involved, where allegedly one bookstore had hired somebody to follow a car hired by another bookstore. then one nutcase poster presumed that that follower was a private investigator ... etc.

overthemoon 3 years, 9 months ago

Just hope they continue with the art supplies. best source in town for real stuff.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 9 months ago

And, for all you "I don't want to buy from a Nebraska company" people: Bill buys and sells nearly 100% of his used books with NBC, so if you bought used books at JBS, you were doing business with NBC anyway.

whatadrag 3 years, 9 months ago

Beat the Bookstore has consistently been a better place to buy books when I don't get them online. Jayhawk Bookstore wanted to charge me $165 for a $50 book. scalpers

Amy Heeter 3 years, 9 months ago

How funny this would upset people. There are 5 major companies that print of textbooks in this country and 3 of them contract for distribution out of the plains states using presses in Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's some bookselling trivia: Where did Bill Muggy get his start in the textbook business?

A: Nebraska Book Co., about 40 years ago.

I once worked for Bill. He loves that bookstore in a way that can almost be described as "erotic". I assumed the bookstore would only change hands after someone found Bill dead at his desk in the year 2042. I'm surprised he's letting go.

JayhawkAlum03 3 years, 9 months ago

Add this to the list of bookstores owned by Nebraska Book Company. UBS on 23rd is also a NBC store. I will not shop at either.

Do a quick Google search for the company (try "nebraska book company scam") and you find many instances of how they run their used book-buying business. Amazon has hundreds of posts and complaints regarding their business practices. Many have filed complaints with various organizations, including the BBB and attorney general. It's one thing if it happens once or twice, but everyone I know that has had an interaction with the parent company has been screwed. This is simply how they do business. Sad to see Jayhawk Bookstore will now be part of that.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe since they already own a bookstore in Lawrence, they can build a hotel there?

Truthspeaker 3 years, 9 months ago

Does this mean the bookstore is now part of the Big 10?

Jeteras 3 years, 9 months ago

that will be awesome... I can see the big sign now... CORNHUSKER BOOKSTORE!! right on campus,... man what an idea!

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

I know that online textbook sales have really hurt the book stores over the past few years. But cutting down on the local competition is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Most important question...will the "at the top of the hill" jingle change? Annoying, but works well!

newmedia 3 years, 9 months ago

Much easier to purchase a Big 10 tee shirt now !!

booklover 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey Linwhitney Please block this account. Its a repeat spammer. kthnxbai

LogicMan 3 years, 9 months ago

"NU leaves the Big 12"

"The Nebraska Book Co. has bought the Jayhawk Bookstore"

Will be a very cold day that I darken their doorway after the 15th.

geoismeo 3 years, 9 months ago

Bill Muggy, a legend in his own mind.