Archive for Sunday, January 31, 2010

Critter Care: Web site created to combat prejudice against pit bulls

January 31, 2010

He was named for the king of the Spartans who died at the Battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., but when you first see him, you might never expect such bravery in the soul of this Leonidas.

The happy little brown pit bull strolls around with the awkward gait of any tripod, his front legs carrying him powerfully forward as his single back leg pumps to keep up. But he doesn't notice that much.

This Leonidas faced his first battle when he was between 2 and 4 weeks old. Someone tossed the back half of his little puppy body over a fence to allow the dog on the other side to rip his feet off.

Fortunately for him, witnesses to the event rescued him and turned him in to a shelter that had an anonymous animal abuse and cruelty turn-in policy. Leonidas was given proper veterinary care for what remained of his back legs, and through various channels, at about 6 weeks of age he ended up in the loving home of Anthony Barnett, who runs Lawrence's Home Sweet Home Dog Resort.

"He was most of the way healed up at that time," Barnett says. "His right leg had no toes - just the end of the leg bone with the foot pad. But he had only about two-thirds of his back left leg, and he kept trying to use it to walk on. It was hard for him to get around that way."

In consultation with Dr. Tom Liebl, Barnett made the decision to have Leonidas' left leg removed to provide better stability. The decision was a good one, and the pup quickly adjusted to life on three legs.

Those early difficulties, though, were just a small blip on Leonidas' radar; he had too many important things to do to let a missing leg slow him down. He had, after all, the whole rest of his puppyhood to go through, doing all the things puppies do: going on walks, chasing and chewing toys, licking faces and fingers, and playing with his pit bull brother Liam.

Leonidas was a busy boy, and as it turned out, his dad had other plans for him as well. Barnett has been a pit bull fan for many years now, and he is proud of the breed and of the many good examples of pit bulls to be found, but he was greatly bothered by the less-than-1-percent of the population that gets a bad rap because they are abused and bred to be fighters.

"I love the breed," he says, "and I wanted to play a more active role in showing the bond we can have with them."

Barnett and Liam have worked with the Lawrence Humane Society for several years now, assisting with education talks about animal abuse and letting the people-loving Liam show that pit bulls aren't only the vicious animals they are often portrayed to be. When Leonidas came into his fold, Barnett decided to take this education a step further and train both the dogs to become registered therapy dogs, visiting people in hospitals and nursing homes, and particularly working with veterans.

"I wanted to be able to take the dogs anywhere they're welcome," he says.

So he began the training process with both Liam and Leonidas, teaching them to curb their enthusiasm and be well-mannered for their visits. Leonidas provided the greatest challenge.

"He had to learn to stop kissing everyone he met," Barnett says. "He just wouldn't be able to pass the test if he kept doing that."

When it came time to actually test, Barnett ran into some problems. Some registration groups were hesitant to register a pit bull, and some cities have bans on the breed. Barnett finally received help from the national office of the Delta Society. Together they arranged for the Prairieland Visiting Animals in Topeka (a Delta group) to set up the testing course right in Lawrence, so the testers from could come to him on the big day, which was this past Nov. 21.

"On test day," Barnett says, "even some of the instructors were still hesitant because of the breed I was testing. But in the end, even those people had to admit that they wished all their dogs were as well behaved. I was really proud of my boys. It took us months to get to that point."

Barnett is still not done with the work he hopes to accomplish with "his boys." Their new Web site, GameDogGuardian.com, should be up and running toward the end of February, and through this site he and his fiancé hope to combat prejudice toward pit bulls with stories of the more important facts: how the human/dog bond can be used for so much good to ultimately help people.

The Lawrence Humane Society salutes Anthony Barnett - and of course Liam and Leonidas - for all the fine work they're doing on behalf of good dogs everywhere.

• Sue Novak is vice president of the board of the Lawrence Humane Society.

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for trying to clear up the "bad rap" Pit Bulls get. We had two a few years back. They are magnificent animals. Ours were raised from puppies and never taught to fight. They were very protective of my only grandson at the time. I couldn't have asked for a better pair of dogs. It's all in how they're treated.

TheAgileBadger 4 years, 11 months ago

Excellent article. My association with these animals and the people who understand and care for them has truly erased my prejudice against them.

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 11 months ago

Ban Ignorance ... Not Pit Bulls

Not much more needs to be said.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 11 months ago

There are some things you just cannot escape. This breed was purposely bread to be fierce. On top of that, we are talking about an animal, not a human...an animal that has instincts -- not reason. I seriously question parents who have pit bulls (or other 'fierce' dogs) around very young children. If you have one of these type of dogs and your youngster decided to jump on it in it's sleep you really cannot blame the dog for biting...instinct, automatic reflex.

Now before you get all upset with me, even the most docile dog does have the potential to be dangerous given the right circumstances. But then why own a breed that is specifically designed that way? I'm sure there have been poodle attacks, but you don't hear about those anywhere near as much at pit bull or rottweilers, etc.

downwithstyrofoam 4 years, 11 months ago

Yeah! Mr. Right Wing is right! Git 'r' Done Mr. RW! ANY dog COULD attack at ANY time. Let's get rid of all dogs. On second thought, let's go after anything that has the chance to infiltrate our egocentric, womb-like personal bubbles. Down with kitchen knives, gas stoves, sharp corners, alcohol, and I don't know, let's say NBC.

I know, I'm laying it on thick. Sorry. You could say sarcasm was BRED into me. Although I could go for some bread now that you got me thinking of it...

Eight years ago, I would have been close to the top of the 'fear of pit bulls' list. But after spending considerable amounts of time with pit bulls raised by intelligent owners, I underwent a complete 180 flip. Now I still might not be the type to get a pit bull when I have my first child, but that is my personal decision based on an evaluation of my capabilities as a dog owner. This is what we cannot escape Mr. RW: personal freedom. Now if a HUMAN wants to abuse these freedoms, that is the problem we must face in an intelligent, responsible and efficient way.

Oh, one more thing, now don't get all upset with me, but I'm sure there are some very talented ugly people out there but they ain't gonna win Miss America because they ain't sexy! Pit bulls and rottweilers make the news because they sell the news. Plain and simple.

riverdrifter 4 years, 11 months ago

Mixolydian 4 years, 11 months ago

Is there any possible reason why there's public backlash over pitbulls but not shih tzus?

I think we all know the answer.

Write all you want about the "nice docile" pitbulls, but you don't read about dachshund attacks so much,

mr_right_wing 4 years, 11 months ago

Alright. I'm willing to accept we live in an age where people have more compassion for animals/pets than other humans -- and at times the safety of their own kids. It's just reality and it's pointless for me to be in denial. I wish you, your kids, but most of all your pets well.

keepyourignorancetoyourself 4 years, 11 months ago

This is about a 3-legged dog who visits the sick, old people and handicapped. How many people who would enjoy your time do you visit? You guys are a little melodramatic and a lot ridiculous. Let's give the fear-mongering a rest for one weekend.

Fayclis 4 years, 11 months ago

What a well balanced well written refreshing article but, upon reading a few of the comments I so wish, JUST ONE TIME, the BSL lobby group fanantics would lay off promoting their fear based agenda.

The FACT is that less than 1% of these dogs will ever or have ever done anything wrong. Oh I "bit" into the bull for a time but after getting to know these dogs HAVE siince become an advocate on their behalf. One cannot "breed" for aggression and these dogs have been picked by dog fighters because they are LESS LIKELY to turn on their "handlers" in the fighting rings.

"Dogmen" actually "cull" dogs that are human aggressive while enjoying their sick, demented blood sport. Heaven forbid if any of THEM would get hurt.

Since overcoming my fear I have had 3 of these dogs in my family now over 20 years. My grandchildren have never known life without them and now as teenagers also advocate. Sadly because of the fear mongrelers they are almost forced to.

The Canadian Pet Trainers Assocation picked these dogs as one of the TOP TEN dogs to have around children and said that "if raised in a lovng family environment they can be virually bomb PROOF with children". I can and will testify to that statement as well as my sister and her grandchildren. However WE are and have been RESPONSIBLE dog owners. As we have found, the only thing to fear about these dogs was fear itself.

FOUR of Michael Vick's dogs are now therapy dogs also working in hospitals, schools etc. Once these dogs got into loving responsible homes and were allowed to blossom, they also became ambassador's, in spite of their previous nightmare existence.

As Paul Berry, Chief Executive Officer of Best Friends, where 22 of Michael Vicks Dogs were sent, said; “The pit bull is easily the most misunderstood breed of dog in the U.S, unfortunately, it is the very loving and loyal nature of these dogs that makes them prone to exploitation.”

BrianR 4 years, 11 months ago

Yes MRW, I had some fierce bread once and my gastro system has never been the same.

saoirseglen 4 years, 10 months ago

Agnostic, it sounds like you blame an entire breed of dog for what one individual animal did. I don't blame you for being angry, but taking it out on all animals of the same breed won't change the past.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

acg 4 years, 10 months ago

I have to go with agnostick on this one. A pit bull ripped off half the face of my cousin's child when she was 7 years old. It was a family pet, from puppyhood. Never abused, never mistreated, always around the kids, etc. Mandie bent down to hug the dog when it was asleep, it came up, startled and bit off her face! That girl is a teenager now and even after many operations is horribly disfigured. All because my idiot cousin had to have one of those poor, misunderstood dogs. Screw those damned things. They're dangerous and that's all there is to that.

ferrislives 4 years, 10 months ago

I looked into pit bulls a bit after reading this article, and found some interesting sources of information. First, Wikipedia has some interesting info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

I noticed a report called the "Clifton Report", which apparently compiled reports from September 1982 to December 22 2009 on dog attach deaths and severe bites. It states "The study found reports of 345 people killed by dogs over the 27-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 159, or about 46 percent, of the people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study. The breed with the next-highest number of attributed fatalities was the Rottweiler and mixes thereof, with 70 fatalities or about 20 percent of the study-identified fatalities; in aggregate, pit bulls, rottweilers, and mixes thereof were involved in about 66% of the study-identified fatalities." It excludes "dogs whose breed type may be uncertain, ...attacks by police dogs, guard dogs, and dogs trained specifically to fight....". The entire report is here: http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

The real questions is that if a put bull's ancestors were "selectively bred for their fighting prowess", will they in-turn be overly aggressive when something goes wrong? That's what the report implies. When you inbreed any type of being, including humans, it never results in good things happening.

I'm sure that there are plenty of good pit bulls out there because they have good and loving owners, but I would never have one around my child. Why take the risk? You don't want to find out the hard way that you were wrong. I'd rather be on the side of caution when it comes to certain breeds of dogs, including shih tzus.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Can't you just hear the sound of grinding teeth from Wyandotte County because somebody can't post on this thread?

GmaD321 4 years, 10 months ago

Even if the dogs are raised from pups in gently loving homes, never abused, etc, you should always supervise children when they are around the dogs. We are on our 2nd Rott and although neither would hurt a fly we still wouldn't let our grandkids be around them without an adult there too. I would feel this way about any breed. We came very close to adopting a pit but our town has an ordinance against them and we would rather have one we raised from a pup.

ferrislives 4 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Agnostic, and I'm not sure why they are specifically bred for fighting over other breeds, but here are some clues:

I did notice this sentence on the Wikipedia page: "In the United States, these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions;[1] however, some were selectively bred for their fighting prowess, and starting in the early 20th century, they began to replace the bull terrier as the "dog of choice" for dog fighting in the United States."

I also found this answer to your question from the ASPCA web site: "Q. What dogs are used in dog fighting? Although there are many breeds of dogs used for fighting worldwide, the dog of choice for fighting in America is the American Pit Bull Terrier. In addition, Fila Brasileiros, Dog Argentinos and Presa Canarios have also been used in this blood sport. Occasionally Doberman Pinschers or German Shepherds are reportedly used in street fights, or as “bait dogs” to train fighting dogs. In the early days of dog fighting, the Bull Terrier was the dog of choice for this brutal blood sport, but it was replaced in the early 20th century by the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Americanized version of the bull terriers developed from larger bull-baiting dogs in England, when smaller and faster dogs were needed to replace the larger dogs used in bull and bear-baiting that took place in pits."

Here's the web site: http://www.aspcapro.org/fighting-animal-cruelty/animal-fighting/dog-fighting-faqs.html

And even the pit bull rescue group mentions it under "An All-American Dog: Breed History" on this page: http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

brujablanco 4 years, 10 months ago

asbury 4 years, 10 months ago

Good article, interesting comments. I've really only known one pit bull, and he was incredibly gentle. The "Dog Whisperer" is a proponent of the breed. I'm not so sure I would want one around a small child, but honestly, that could be said about any dog. I am a serious dog lover, and I've seen dogs of all breeds show signs of being aggressive.

brujablanco 4 years, 10 months ago

frank mcguinness 4 years, 10 months ago

I must say this is the first time I can recall completely disagreeing with Agnostick.

1 Pitbulls were bred to Fight other dogs, as previously noted (not that you read the whole thread) they were also the first dog in recorded history to be culled/killed if they showed any human aggression. You can't have loose cannon that would injure the owner. Thats no fun. Conversly though a pitbull may show some aggressiveness to other dogs. It is what it is.

2 According to the american temperment test society the breed Americab pit bull terrier has a better pass rating than the popular, beagle, collie, cocker spaniel, dachsund, golden retriever, jack russel terrier, poodle, mixed breed and your stupid pembroke welsh corgi. Really it beats about 95% of the dogs tested But I don't want to overwhelm you with facts. http://www.atts.org/index.html

3 The pitbull is unfortunatly a popular choice of pet with some unsavory individuals and therefore is in a position to be neglected or even trained to be aggressive to humans.

4 You're lack of facts and unfortunate history with pits is fueling an ignorance not seen before. Do you also cross the street and grab your kids when you see minorities because you're starting to sound ignorant and racist.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 10 months ago

If a dog fighter has a choice between two young dogs to “train” … a pit bull and a golden retriever … why do they always seem to prefer the pit bull?

Simple answer dude, they are strong, fast, and most importantly they will follow their owners commands to the death. Some call it loyalty or obediance. Therefore you must blame the owner not the breed.

blackfox 4 years, 10 months ago

Just remeber a few years back what was the worst dog? Dobermans. Then German shepards, then rots. See a trend here? It all depends on what the media wants to " pump up". Its all about the media's agenda. All the attacks you hear about wouldnt be heard if it wasnt for the dumb media! And to all you people who think that kids and ANY animals go toether, think again. Children and baies dont understand ANYTHING! They are actually dumber than pit bulls or any anima; for that matter.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 10 months ago

Justanothertroll should be eliminated, and all trolls should be banned from within city limits.

ahimsa 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree with several of the posters who think Pit Bulls should not be bred anymore. There's nothing sacred about a breed of dogs. They were selectively bred by humans to be vicious. It's in their genes. They've shown time and time again that they have killer instincts. I think there should be laws against breeding them and then just let the breed die out.

frank mcguinness 4 years, 10 months ago

The fact of the matter is that the pit bull is a great dog to hate. They're big, muscular, stout, stocky, loved by gangstas and make great headlines.

It's just not supported by facts.

But the bottom line is that here in america we don't care about facts.

We're fueled by emotion.

Kinda like the conservative approach to politics. lol

blackfox 4 years, 10 months ago

"ahimsa", guees then we could kill and do away with doctors who perform abortions? Heck why stop there, do away with humans. We have genes that tell us to kill.

ahimsa 4 years, 10 months ago

Anybody have any real statistics? For instance, I would like to see breakdown of all the reports of vicious dog attacks in the US (or even Kanas City) over a certain period of time, say, the last ten years, and see which breed or breeds are the responsible for the greatest number. Anybody know where to find such stats? I would bet on Pit Bulls being responsible for a significant majority. Sorry, just me.

For all you current owners, just spay or neuter your animal and make sure it is securely restrained when around others, especially children.

ferrislives 4 years, 10 months ago

ahimsa, see my 1:06pm post for a report on breeds who attacked more often over a 27 year period of time.

ahimsa 4 years, 10 months ago

@ blackfox, I am not advocating killing the living ones (unless they are vicious), but to stop breeding them. It is not the same as doctors or any other humans. These dogs were created by eugenics, and they can be un-created by eugenics!

ahimsa 4 years, 10 months ago

Correction: Eugenics only applies to humans. Substiture "selective breeding" for "eugenics" in my above post.

Danimal 4 years, 10 months ago

Pit Bulls, American Pit Bull Terriers, whatever you want to call them, can be wonderful dogs. Unfortunately, it seems as often as not they're used for fighting or security. They're incredibly loyal and affectionate in the right hands, but they're such powerful animals (much like rottweilers, Belgian malinois, etc.) that in the wrong (or unskilled) hands they really are a liability. I don't think that any breed of dog should be banned, and current registration laws - provided breed is annotated - should be sufficient.

I had an uncle that rescued a fighting PB and he was one of sweetest dogs I've ever known. He would still freak out on anyone in a uniform though, so you had to know how to handle big a dog if you were taking care of him.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

The Humane Society of the United States, the RSPCA, Ottawa Humane Society, the Dogs Trust and the Wolf Specialist Group of the IUCN Species Survival Commission consider wolfdogs to be wild animals and therefore unsuitable as pets, and support an international ban on the private possession, breeding and sales of wolf-dog hybrids.

Stop the illegal and dangerous possession of wolf-dog hybrids.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

According to the CDC and the Humane Society of the United States, the wolfdog ranks sixth in the number of dog attack fatalities in the U.S., with 14 hybrid-related fatalities between 1979 and 1998 in the United States.

d_prowess 4 years, 10 months ago

I think a high level of loyalty mixed with a prowess in fighting could be a potential problem with these dogs. When they get protective, they have the skills to do major damage to people. Other dogs may be aggressive, but not really protective of their owners, while another set of dogs may be protective but don't have the fighting skills. It is the combination of the both that seems like it could create more incidents. Just a thought...

keepyourignorancetoyourself 4 years, 10 months ago

Again, it's about an amputee dog who visits people who are not as well off as the rest of us. How many of you "ranters" contribute to society in such a positive way? Dumb.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

All I know is that when neighbor's pitbulls show up on my property, surround & attack my dog and subsequently get shot, well, the coyotes, vultures & crows clean up the carcasses in a very short time. All that was left was the collars. Hung'em on a fence post by the road.

judgery8 4 years, 10 months ago

What a fabulous story about a 3-legged dog. From what I can read, it's about a 3-legged dog who passed a certification test to visit people in the hospital and brighten their day, not a pit bull fanatic. Perhaps the article is mis-titled. I'm certain not just any random pet can pass that Delta Society test, the dog has to have an amazing temperament and personality. The owners of the pit bull type breeds have a long way to go to change public perception, or perhaps just uneducated, midwestern perception...either way its nice to see the human/canine bond at work in Lawrence.

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

Pit bulls are often misidentified, check this out if you think you know anything about pit bulls: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html -- my guess is, you don't know as much as you think you do. BTW, I guessed correctly. It was kind of a wild guess because I wasn't 100% sure.

A few years ago I was walking a German shepherd and a hound/Rotty mix and I heard some kids playing in a nearby park say, "Those are pit bulls," which was followed by oohs and ahhhs. It certainly isn't my job to tell them they are wrong but I hope someone does because knowledge is the very thing that will squash idiotic notions like BSL. Law enforcement needs to have better resources to shut down dog fighting operations.

Killer Pomeranian: http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2001/pomeranian.html

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

Dogs aren't some accessory that you have just to say you have it. Dogs require a lot of commitment and a lot of time. They need to be trained and socialized so they get along with people and other dogs.

If pit bulls were to suddenly not exist, the morons who fight dogs would simply fight something else. The story about Ag's Corgi makes me angry but not necessarily at the dog, even though I probably would've shot the offending animal. The owners are to blame for that. One of my best friends is a Corgi and I'm sorry for your loss.

I walk my dogs every day and I've had to stand up to more than a few snarling dogs and I can tell you, I was not amused. Luckily, those incidents ended well without me having to use pepper spray or my sidearm (I was out in the sticks).

The bottom line is, people need to think before they adopt a dog and make sure it's a good fit for their level of time and energy.

BigPrune 4 years, 10 months ago

Everytime I see a pitbull, I figure the owner must be dealing drugs, since it is the dog of choice for dope dealers.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 10 months ago

Some one on here said somethng about small breeds and not hearing about attacks from those types of dogs, well I hate small dogs or drop kick breeds, the only bites me or my husband have ever had as been from those little buggers. I swear small dogs are mean and attack anyone even owners just because they can because people do not see them as a threat. All breeds have the ability to attack and kill with out warning.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh yeah the comment on ferral cats 100% agreement here they are mean fast and hard to catch.

BrianR 4 years, 10 months ago

I don't know Momma, if I was 7 inches tall I might have an attitude too...

arizonajh 4 years, 10 months ago

Here's my plan, own whatever type of dog you want. Heck why not a lion, maybe a gorilla, how about a bear, that would be cool and really impress your friends. Why end prejudice over one breed when we could end it for all animals. Can you imagine the theft detterent that a non neutered bull rhino in your yard could provide? Dian Fossey (gorillas in the mist) lived with the gorillas and they didn't hurt her so therefore all gorillas if handled properly by affectionate owners should be no problem, right? Why can't I just tie one up in my back yard? Just one catch in my world. Your animal be it a dog or a bear gets loose and it kills the dog next door then you pay the owner for the cost of the vet bills, the burial, the replacement of the pet and any damages the court feels fit to award, no appeals. Your lion or pit bull harms another person you are charged as if you personally committed the assault. No blaming it on a three year old child because they excited the animal by running and falling down or saying the old lady should have not shown fear and the dog wouldn't have attacked. No failure to restrain, no lesser charges, it is assault plus medical bills plus jury awards. I don't care if it got out when the UPS driver came to the door or that the kid next door left your gate open, you just had to have the beast so take responsibility. If your gorilla or yorkie kills another person you serve the 5 - 10 years for manslaughter. If it happens twice it's murder one. If your baboon kills your child you are charged with child abuse resulting in death and you serve the time in a cell wallpapered with your childs picture. If I leave a loaded gun in my house and the kid next door comes over and finds it and shoots themselves with it I am charged (at least here in Arizona) why should a deadly dog be different. We don't like limits in this country and "nobody can tell me what I can or can't do" seems to be our new motto. No problem we love our prisons and don't mind putting people in there for things that didn't harm anyone so why not add to the prison population with some who thought that dangerous animals are just something that other people have problems controlling? So go ahead get that pit bull but if it suddenly acts out of character and hurts or kills someone it's you personally that is held responsible as if you had attacked them yourself. Maybe breed (or species) choice would be a lot different if the owner was also in danger of being "put down".

Chrissy Neibarger 4 years, 10 months ago

I own an American Bull Dog. We raised him from birth. He constantly is mistaken for a Pit Bull. I do believe the bully dogs have gotten a bad rap just because of a few individuals that decided to warp their idea of fun. Sure, this goes back many many years and in breeding just for the aggressive behavior has taken prevalence, I still don't think that we can condemn a dog just for it's breed. It truly is more the owner's training on how to handle an active and strong dog like that. No, you should never have ANY dog unsupervised around a child. I was bitten by a english pointer when I was young, just because the poor thing was kept on a 5 foot chain under the porch it's whole life. I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner.

Very well written article, BTW :) I'm so proud of you for taking the extra step to get them certified!

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

careful there, Big Prune...somebody around here loves deleting posts if you mention pit bull. go figure, I suggest self-defense against a dog, and my comment gets yanked. meanwhile, stripper blogs abound almost daily. Disgusting. I wonder which is less appropriate for children readers/teen readers/family readers? surprised by this? me too.

saoirseglen 4 years, 10 months ago

Those of you advocating violence against an entire breed, I would recommend, better have very strong proof if you are going to use lethal force. I view it as the same as using lethal force against another human being. You better be 100% certain that you are in the right and have no other choice otherwise you may be the one facing jail time.

I avoid confrontations by keeping clear of circumstances that would create them. I view force, particularly lethal force as a means of last resort.

Evidently I better be ready to protect not only my family but our dog as well since some ignorant person may decide to shoot our most definitely non-pit bull dog because they don't like her looks even if she is on a leash or inside our fence yard.

judgery8 4 years, 10 months ago

I am "certain" because I have first hand knowledge. It is a test they have to "pass", not just obedience skills they have to "have". Is the AKC a government group? I think, it too, is just a group of people. Again, this story is about a dog that helps people in hospitals and in the community...why does everyone have such a negative attitude about such a heartwarming story of a dog? It's beyond ridiculous.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

pit bulls can be big, loveable babies just like any other breed of dog. i've seen it many times over. two factors have led to these dogs gaining such a bad rep: overbreeding and a**hole owners.