Archive for Friday, January 29, 2010

Dead alligator found in lake near Burlington, Kan.

January 29, 2010

— Wildlife officials are trying to find out how a dead alligator wound up in a lake in east-central Kansas.

A fisherman found the 64-inch-long alligator Wednesday in Coffey County Lake near Burlington. The lake supplies water for the nearby Wolf Creek Nuclear plant.

Invasive species coordinator Jason Goeckler says it's illegal to release an exotic species into the wild in Kansas.

Goeckler says he hasn't heard any reports of alligators in Kansas for several years. The farthest north the animals typically are found is southern Arkansas or extreme southeast Oklahoma.

Comments

mdfraz 4 years, 10 months ago

Somebody's pet that got too big probably.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

Dibs on the hide. Who wants the meat?

flux 4 years, 10 months ago

Why dont they post a picture of it? LJWorld is always the last to have a picture

spiff 4 years, 10 months ago

"State wildlife officials say they have no idea how long the reptile had been there."

If I was state wildlife officials, I'd be focusing on getting an idea on the whereabouts of the 400 pound gorilla that killed the reptile.

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

Darn nuclear lake. Poor 'gator probably got bludgeoned to death by the 8' walleyes in there.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 10 months ago

This is animal cruelty. Releasing an animal, even one with such excellent defenses as an alligator, into an environment with which its species has no experience is murder of the animal. Better they had just shot it and buried it somewhere. It would have been more humane.

John Spencer 4 years, 10 months ago

Tom, I use to have a pet caiman and it was a tad over 5' long when I gave it to the St. Louis zoo. It really freaked out my neighbors when I would take it for a walk. When I had it, I thought that the JW would pick up on it (because I would walk it) and take a picture, but that never happened.

Bud Stagg 4 years, 10 months ago

Saw the picture on the blog. It looks fresh. There is no way that alligator survived the christmas storm and cold snap. He had to be recently released.

preebo 4 years, 10 months ago

"Goeckler says he hasn't heard any reports of alligators in Kansas for several years. The farthest north the animals typically are found is southern Arkansas or extreme southeast Oklahoma"

Are they actually entertaining the possibility that this was a migratory situation? Really?!? This far north? Another thing, gators, as in many reptiles are not migratory, not to say they don't relocate based on food supply, but as a behavior they do not travel long distances, especially upriver.

This was a pet that got too big for someone to care for this summer, and they decided to free it in the local lake. That's too bad, because they really didn't give the animal a chance.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 10 months ago

I suspect Amos Moses might has something to do with this.

doc1 4 years, 10 months ago

I wish we could release a few dozen of them in the Wetlands this spring. That would so funny.

kanshawk 4 years, 10 months ago

poor gator was probably was laid off recently and just out looking for a job.

Monica Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

craigers 4 years, 10 months ago

There was one in my grandparents pond right outside of Lawrence last year. Dead now, but is pretty odd that it would be there.

Angel Gillaspie 4 years, 10 months ago

can't believe previous posters missed the obvious - the animal was probably a little lizard that had an adverse reaction to the radiation. surprised he didn't grow an extra eye or an extra leg

Randall Barnes 4 years, 10 months ago

MISS THE RESTURAUNT AT ORCHARDS CORNER THAT SOLD ALIGATOR. WHAT ABOUT ALL THE COUGARS IN WEST LAWRENCE RUNNING WILD ?

lily 4 years, 10 months ago

Sad thing is, some idiot releases a wild animal they can no longer care for. It ends up in a pond, lake or river where people have safely hung out, swam etc for many years. All of a sudden in some random place, a person or animal is killed by the wild animal. Can't blame the animal, it's surviving, but you won't catch me in a lake or pond anymore. Course, you'd be glad you didn't have to see me anyway! :)

Dale Stringer 4 years, 10 months ago

Kansas.Com has a couple of pictures of the thing.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 10 months ago

Didn't something similar to this happen in Texas a few years ago?

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 10 months ago

"“what about all the cougars in west lawrence running wild ?”

I think many have migrated to the Eldridge Bar. I expect the Oread to become part of their hunting territory.""

I just died, lol.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, autie, you've made my day with "My cousin caught a crappie in that thing that was big enough to stand flat footed and get the mail out of the mailbox." Hee, hee & ho, ho.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 10 months ago

Maybe, just maybe, it was released last year and survived this long in the warm water from the reactor. By this time food would be pretty short and it may have starved. Crazy stuff.

PhotoCollectorX 4 years, 10 months ago

Autie is not telling tall tales. Prior to the plant going in, fishing in that area was plentiful yet regular as seen below. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47037374@N03/4314956976/in/photostream/

The plant going in caused far reaching changes. Fish became scarce, but as Autie says, one could bring in the mail before he joined you for dinner. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47037374@N03/4314231531/in/photostream/

Randall Barnes 4 years, 10 months ago

6News Video: Mountain lion spotted along levee Earlier stories of mountain lions reported in area Animals suspected in maulings are killed (04-17-06) Mountain lion wanders into suburban backyard (02-28-06) Cougar sightings increasingly common around the Midwest (10-23-05) Some scat and a photo taken by an automated wildlife camera of a mountain lion on KU's west campus were not conclusive, Wolfe said.

Wolfe said he would be interested in talking with Dobbins and visiting the site to investigate.

Dobbins, who runs about twice a week along the levee, said she had gone out about 5:20 a.m. Thursday and headed east of the Kansas River bridge.

She had passed the 2.5-mile marker when she saw what she first thought was a dog. It came out of the tree line on her right, into the short grass, about 200 yards away.

"My first thought was 'leash law?' because I'm jogging," she said. "And then I took a closer look at it, and it was not a dog. It was a full-grown, big-sized cat. It was not a bobcat."