Archive for Friday, January 29, 2010

Dead alligator found in lake near Burlington, Kan.

January 29, 2010

— Wildlife officials are trying to find out how a dead alligator wound up in a lake in east-central Kansas.

A fisherman found the 64-inch-long alligator Wednesday in Coffey County Lake near Burlington. The lake supplies water for the nearby Wolf Creek Nuclear plant.

Goeckler says he hasn't heard any reports of alligators in Kansas for several years. The farthest north the animals typically are found is southern Arkansas or extreme southeast Oklahoma.

Comments

Randall Barnes 4 years, 2 months ago

6News Video: Mountain lion spotted along levee Earlier stories of mountain lions reported in area Animals suspected in maulings are killed (04-17-06) Mountain lion wanders into suburban backyard (02-28-06) Cougar sightings increasingly common around the Midwest (10-23-05) Some scat and a photo taken by an automated wildlife camera of a mountain lion on KU's west campus were not conclusive, Wolfe said.

Wolfe said he would be interested in talking with Dobbins and visiting the site to investigate.

Dobbins, who runs about twice a week along the levee, said she had gone out about 5:20 a.m. Thursday and headed east of the Kansas River bridge.

She had passed the 2.5-mile marker when she saw what she first thought was a dog. It came out of the tree line on her right, into the short grass, about 200 yards away.

"My first thought was 'leash law?' because I'm jogging," she said. "And then I took a closer look at it, and it was not a dog. It was a full-grown, big-sized cat. It was not a bobcat."

PhotoCollectorX 4 years, 2 months ago

Autie is not telling tall tales. Prior to the plant going in, fishing in that area was plentiful yet regular as seen below. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47037374@N03/4314956976/in/photostream/

The plant going in caused far reaching changes. Fish became scarce, but as Autie says, one could bring in the mail before he joined you for dinner. http://www.flickr.com/photos/47037374@N03/4314231531/in/photostream/

Kirk Larson 4 years, 2 months ago

Maybe, just maybe, it was released last year and survived this long in the warm water from the reactor. By this time food would be pretty short and it may have starved. Crazy stuff.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

Autie~ Ain't yew soundin' all uppity an' citteefied with that "nuclear" folderol?!

Wuzzn't yew listnin to Cuzin George alla them yeers? alla them long, long, drug-out, interminubble, endless, coon's-age-an-then-some, seemed-like-ferevver, slowwwww, snail-paced, 3-toed-sloth-drinkin-merlasses-outa-a-jug-in-Janyouairy, dubble-tripple-long yeers he wuz our feerliss, pet-goat luvvin, chugga-luggin' DeeCee dee-cider?

If'n yewda done bin listnin, yew'd knoe:

the werd yew want is "noo-kyoo-ler."

Noo....kyoooo.....lerrrrrrrrr.......

We don't need no damn intuhlexual snobbeeniss 'round hyar.

Multi~ I just wear my Kevlar tankini and carry a harpoon. Haven't had a gator mess with me yet.

Kidding aside, that's a rotten thing to do to an animal. Anyone who would turn a critter loose outside its native habitat (or turn it loose anywhere, if it was raised in domesticity) should be dunked in that nookyoooler lake and held down until they sprout a few more eyes & some fins. Or until they drown, whichever comes first. And that goes for the jerks who dump cats & dogs out in the country, too.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, autie, you've made my day with "My cousin caught a crappie in that thing that was big enough to stand flat footed and get the mail out of the mailbox." Hee, hee & ho, ho.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Now my cousins save up that fish an eat some for they go night fishin...that a way they don't need no laterns or flashlights.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

Py...always swim with a spare air tank and rifle, that's my motto. ;)

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

That there nuclear lake has got nuclear fish in it. My cousin caught a crappie in that thing that was big enough to stand flat footed and get the mail out of the mailbox. Then there is the story about the flathead catfish up ther that bit an aluminum john boat clean in half...and i ain't even makin none of that up. We ate some crappie my cousin caught out a that lake an we glowed in the dark for three days.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

I used to see them crossing the SLT just after they had built it down by 27th and Wakarusa, not that far from that park and youth soccer fields.

They were used to coming up in to the fields behind our yards as those weren't fenced and there was a pond with lots of coons, rabbits, coyotes and deer that came to drink. Marsh land around there too, places to hide in the cattails.

They put a sign up for bikers and hikers to move to the side of the road when cars come by, but I'm not so sure that's a wise idea....

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 2 months ago

"“what about all the cougars in west lawrence running wild ?”

I think many have migrated to the Eldridge Bar. I expect the Oread to become part of their hunting territory.""

I just died, lol.

LoveThsLife 4 years, 2 months ago

Didn't something similar to this happen in Texas a few years ago?

Dale Stringer 4 years, 2 months ago

Kansas.Com has a couple of pictures of the thing.

lily 4 years, 2 months ago

Sad thing is, some idiot releases a wild animal they can no longer care for. It ends up in a pond, lake or river where people have safely hung out, swam etc for many years. All of a sudden in some random place, a person or animal is killed by the wild animal. Can't blame the animal, it's surviving, but you won't catch me in a lake or pond anymore. Course, you'd be glad you didn't have to see me anyway! :)

BrianR 4 years, 2 months ago

OldGeezer123, that is hilarious.

prospector 4 years, 2 months ago

Never swim alone and be able to swim faster than your partner.

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

This tragic story should serve as a timely reminder to all:

Never swim alone! Also, make sure your swimming partner is certified in Gator Aid. (yuk, yuk....)

prospector 4 years, 2 months ago

"what about all the cougars in west lawrence running wild ?"

prospector 4 years, 2 months ago

Better than chicken. You can get an alligator Poboy at Terrebonne, 815 Vermont, next to Great Harvest Bread.

Steve Miller 4 years, 2 months ago

It tastes like chicken LMAO.....

Randall Barnes 4 years, 2 months ago

MISS THE RESTURAUNT AT ORCHARDS CORNER THAT SOLD ALIGATOR. WHAT ABOUT ALL THE COUGARS IN WEST LAWRENCE RUNNING WILD ?

agilla 4 years, 2 months ago

can't believe previous posters missed the obvious - the animal was probably a little lizard that had an adverse reaction to the radiation. surprised he didn't grow an extra eye or an extra leg

craigers 4 years, 2 months ago

There was one in my grandparents pond right outside of Lawrence last year. Dead now, but is pretty odd that it would be there.

Monica Miller 4 years, 2 months ago

kanshawk 4 years, 2 months ago

poor gator was probably was laid off recently and just out looking for a job.

doc1 4 years, 2 months ago

I wish we could release a few dozen of them in the Wetlands this spring. That would so funny.

omnedon 4 years, 2 months ago

or maybe Poke (Polk?) Salad Annie

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 2 months ago

I suspect Amos Moses might has something to do with this.

preebo 4 years, 2 months ago

"Goeckler says he hasn't heard any reports of alligators in Kansas for several years. The farthest north the animals typically are found is southern Arkansas or extreme southeast Oklahoma"

Are they actually entertaining the possibility that this was a migratory situation? Really?!? This far north? Another thing, gators, as in many reptiles are not migratory, not to say they don't relocate based on food supply, but as a behavior they do not travel long distances, especially upriver.

This was a pet that got too big for someone to care for this summer, and they decided to free it in the local lake. That's too bad, because they really didn't give the animal a chance.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

"Darn nuclear lake. Poor 'gator probably got bludgeoned to death by the 8' walleyes in there. "

Ha!

Bud Stagg 4 years, 2 months ago

Saw the picture on the blog. It looks fresh. There is no way that alligator survived the christmas storm and cold snap. He had to be recently released.

John Spencer 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom, I use to have a pet caiman and it was a tad over 5' long when I gave it to the St. Louis zoo. It really freaked out my neighbors when I would take it for a walk. When I had it, I thought that the JW would pick up on it (because I would walk it) and take a picture, but that never happened.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 2 months ago

This is animal cruelty. Releasing an animal, even one with such excellent defenses as an alligator, into an environment with which its species has no experience is murder of the animal. Better they had just shot it and buried it somewhere. It would have been more humane.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

So that is where he ended up. Burlington, who'd have thought. He told me he was just heading to the store to get some beer and chips and I have not seen him since...

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 2 months ago

"Invasive species coordinator Jason Goeckler says it's illegal to release an exotic species into the wild in Kansas."

Who in KS would own a 5' long alligator?

spiff 4 years, 2 months ago

"State wildlife officials say they have no idea how long the reptile had been there."

If I was state wildlife officials, I'd be focusing on getting an idea on the whereabouts of the 400 pound gorilla that killed the reptile.

jonas_opines 4 years, 2 months ago

Crocodilius!!! Nnnoooooooooooooo!!!

Healthcare_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

I checked my local paper to see if the ex-wife was still alive. Shucks!

flux 4 years, 2 months ago

Why dont they post a picture of it? LJWorld is always the last to have a picture

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

Dibs on the hide. Who wants the meat?

mdfraz 4 years, 2 months ago

Somebody's pet that got too big probably.