Archive for Thursday, January 28, 2010

Apple introduces new $499 iPad tablet

January 28, 2010

On the street

Do you think you will get an iPad?

I do not think I will get an iPad because I’m too broke to buy something like that.

More responses

— Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the company’s much-anticipated iPad tablet computer Wednesday, calling it a new third category of mobile device that is neither smart phone nor laptop, but something in between.

The iPad will start at $499, a price tag far below the $1,000 that some analysts were expecting. But Apple must still persuade recession-weary consumers who already have other devices to open their wallets yet again. Apple plans to begin selling the iPad in two months.

Jobs said the device would be useful for reading books, playing games or watching video, describing it as “so much more intimate than a laptop and so much more capable than a smart phone.”

The half-inch-thick iPad is larger than the company’s popular iPhone but similar in design. It weighs 1.5 pounds and has a touch screen that is 9.7 inches diagonally. It comes with 16, 32 or 64 gigabytes of flash memory storage, and has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity built in.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

I'd think that the Apple marketing dept had some focus groups look at the various proposed names. It'd be interesting to know what they learned from them.

lori 4 years, 2 months ago

Beawolf, are you UPS, USPS, or Fed-ex? Actually, the above comment was to read: are you male or female. Sorry about that.

I heard on NPR that prior to yesterday's announcement, the leading guess on the name was the iSlate, which I personally think would have been a much better choice.

Just, I'm sure you are right in that the jokes will be short term, and I suppose it is generating more buzz with a silly name like that simply because of reactions like mine. I still hate the name, though, and from a marketing perspective, you don't name a product a name that a significant portion of your target audience finds stupid or distasteful, or that has somewhat negative connotations.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

I would guess that Apple decided that the similarity to the brand "iPod" outweighed what will likely be rather short-term jokes about one of the several uses of the word "pad."

lori 4 years, 2 months ago

Are you mail or female, beawolf? I'm curious, as every female I know (ignorant and educated alike) has rolled their eyes or grimaced in distaste when referring to Apple's name choice.

I know of no one who refers to their notebook tablet as a "pad". Notebook, yes. Tablet, yes. Pad, no.

beawolf 4 years, 2 months ago

Lori, Grow up. People have been referring to the notebook tablet computers as "pads" for years. iPad is a natural, only a child (or an ignorant adult) would find amusement in your reference.

lori 4 years, 2 months ago

Wait for the next generation--the iPad with wings! When will they be bringing out the iTampon?

Seriously stupid name, Apple. Your R&D department earns a big fail on this one.