Archive for Monday, January 25, 2010

Traffic lights restored to working order at 6th and Iowa

Accident early Sunday morning took signals out for nearly two days

The traffic lights at the intersection of 6th and Iowa streets were fixed Monday. The units were damaged Sunday when a car crashed into a utility box.

January 25, 2010, 12:13 p.m. Updated January 25, 2010, 4:21 p.m.

Traffic signals being restored

Crews are working to restore the traffic signals at the intersection of 6th and Iowa after an accident this weekend knocked out the signal box. Enlarge video

Traffic signals are back in operation at Sixth and Iowa streets, after an accident early Sunday morning had knocked out the intersection’s electronic equipment.

The accident had left drivers to negotiate the intersection — which handles at least 35,000 vehicles per day — with guidance from temporary stop signs.

Crews worked Sunday and Monday to install $15,000 worth of new equipment, kept in storage by the city for just such an occasion.

The driver’s insurance could cover the replacement cost, if it turns out he has any, said David Woosley, the city’s traffic engineer: “As long as he pays for it, we’re happy.”

Police arrested the driver on suspicion of driving under the influence, driving while revoked, reckless driving, driving left of center, not wearing a seatbelt, leaving the scene of an accident, failure to report an accident and inattentive driving.

Comments

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

I wonder how that circus bear is gonna look when a dumptruck slides down that hill and plows into a minivan? I see disgruntled people just driving right through that light all the time, mostly because you are forced to stop and let one car go through, and then sit there for 2 minutes while the light waits for any more shoppers coming south on congressional. I can't blame them for just running the light. makes sense.
notice the other day when it was foggy? the light stayed red for 6th street for over 4 minutes at a time. I think the sensors were confused.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

bmwj sez: 2) The stoplights west of Wakarusa on 6th street are a complete and total joke. Write your commissioners. I have, and was promised that they'd “take a look.” That was 4 months ago.

yeah, well they switch it to flashing yellow left turns, then hyper sensitive, little streets make big streets stop, then I get on here and write a blog, then it goes back to tolerable, then it changes back to super sensitive.

Don't take my word for it...go out to 6th and congressional and just watch the one or two cars coming out of walmart every 3 minutes. They stop 30 cars on a major highway-and some coming downhill-others just speeding up to 45mph only to half to lay on the brakes and yield.

madness? I dunno. looks like someone at walmart has the city dancing like a circus bear.

imamomma 4 years, 2 months ago

It did go pretty smooth having the 4 way stop there this morning LOL!

bmwjhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

So much to agree with!

1) Yes, traffic was flowing better at 6th & Iowa with Stop Signs (granted, a Sunday afternoon) than I've ever seen during daylight hours.

2) The stoplights west of Wakarusa on 6th street are a complete and total joke. Write your commissioners. I have, and was promised that they'd "take a look." That was 4 months ago.

average 4 years, 2 months ago

Believe it or not, none2, KDOT has indeed suggested the idea of a roundabout connected to 6th and Iowa. North of it, actually, roughly where Rockledge intersects along with the ramp from WB->NB. Rather than have a left turn lane on 6th, traffic going from WB 6th to SB Iowa would exit right, turn left via a roundabout, and under 6th. Much cheaper than rebuilding the bridge to add a proper left turn lane.

none2 4 years, 2 months ago

eotw33 (Anonymous) says…

... 2. Doesn't Lawrence have an emergency inflatable roundabout they can put up ====================================

Excellent idea!

I'm surprised that Merill isn't on here pushing for a roundabout there.

The other thing that comes to mind is imagine a roundabout that could be both functional AND a swimming pool in the summer time.

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 2 months ago

And how exactly is this news??? Oh yeah, I forgot, some of you folks haven't ever seen a traffic light before!! I guess we are way out in the sticks....... well, you may find them fascinating at first, but the newness will eventually wear off, and then you'll have to get back to the farm, workin' from "can see" to "can't see".

John Kyle 4 years, 2 months ago

Congressional and sixth? Isn't that in Topeka?

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

right! or maybe they could just have a flashing yellow, then everybody wins!

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

yeah cheeseburger! looks like I gotta nother candidate for my govenor's cabinet? can I count you in as transportation secretary?

puddleglum for govenor 2010........let's roll!

cheeseburger 4 years, 2 months ago

But .. but . . but puddle - that the city's way of ensuring that traffic crawls thru this town, instead of flowing efficiently and effectively! The people who programmed those lights, and their supervisors ought to be run out of town if they think those lights are timed properly. Traffic on Congressional ought to have to 'stack' for a while, instead of getting immediate priority over E-W traffic on 6th Street!

eotw33 4 years, 2 months ago

1. I've always wanted to see someone go off that cliff
  2. Doesn't Lawrence have an emergency inflatable roundabout they can put up

shorttrees 4 years, 2 months ago

Leave the stop sign there and forget the lights--traffic was flowing through that intersection better today than it has in years.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

hey, its my union break time. I wonder if they are going to fix the stop light at congressional and 6th street. You know, the one that stops 30 cars on highway 40 just so one car coming from/going to walmart gets the right of way, and never has to wait more than 5 seconds. Just go out there and look at that intersection. nay, spend ten minutes watching it. You will see for yourself how dangerous it is and just imagine the carbon footprint from making every car truck and semi stop and start right at the bottom of a hill!

cheeseburger 4 years, 2 months ago

David Woosley, the city’s traffic engineer, said that crews were aiming to have the signals back up and running sometime later this afternoon.

Good luck with that. When I drove by, the crew from Wildcat Signals was out working, while the two city guys were sitting in a truck with the engine running.

Bud Stagg 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank god he hit those boxes otherwise he would have gone off the cliff into Iowa.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 2 months ago

spacehog, then you pony up the fifteen grand. :-)

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

That was no accident. It was me driving drunk off my ass!!

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago