Archive for Monday, January 25, 2010

Police seeking ID of man acting suspiciously at Peoples Bank

January 25, 2010

Lawrence police are asking for help to identify a man acting suspicious Friday afternoon at Peoples Bank, 31st and Iowa.

Lawrence police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man who was acting suspiciously Friday afternoon at Peoples Bank, 3045 Iowa.

The man had already left the bank about 2 p.m. when officers were called there, Sgt. Bill Cory said in a news release.

Bank employees said the man has been in the bank but did not conduct any business or talk with any employees. The man was acting nervously and left when another customer entered the lobby, Cory said.

Police released photos of the man, who was wearing sunglasses and had his sweatshirt hood up over a hat, from inside the bank.

He is described as an approximately 30-year-old white man, 5-feet 9 inches tall and weighing 170 pounds.

Anyone with information can call police at 830-7430 or Crime Stoppers at 842-TIPS.

Comments

onetime97 4 years, 11 months ago

mysteriously, Larryville hadn't posted around those times...hmmm

Tristan Moody 4 years, 11 months ago

What do you think this is, NCIS?

Ahh, TV, where you can start with four pixels and enhance it to the point where you can read a license plate.

nobody1793 4 years, 11 months ago

I think Mike Anderson should be detained for questioning. You know, just in case.

meggers 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, their motto IS Banking Unusual. Maybe he was just taking that to heart.

introversion 4 years, 11 months ago

"Alright everybody be cool..... I'm here to cash my check!"

croutons 4 years, 11 months ago

For some reason, surveillance equipment seems to be purposefully constructed to produce fuzzy/low quality images. Seriously, every single time there is a security camera image posted on the news or online it looks worse than any image I take with my cheap camera phone.

kclee 4 years, 11 months ago

"Is it a crime to act “nervous”?"

that's what i'm thinking. why do they need to seek him if he didn't even do anything? maybe he was just high .. on something .. and forgot what he was doing and left.

croutons 4 years, 11 months ago

You're right kclee. There should be ZERO tolerance for profiling. As effective as it is in saving innocent people's lives, it infringes on the rights of the criminal.

greenworld 4 years, 11 months ago

Maybe he was out jogging and hot and thought the bank had a water fountain. I mean is it a crime to walk into a bank and not do anything? I mean what if they find out who it was and ask him what he was doing there and his answer is nothing. Then what?

Matthew Herbert 4 years, 11 months ago

chickened out on a robbery. No question about it. No one enters a bank and "forgets" what they came there for. It's not like a grocery store with thousands of items.

croutons 4 years, 11 months ago

Nobody said he was being charged with a crime. He was obviously in need of money and just couldn't swallow his pride to ask the tellers for it. Hopefully if the police can identify the man we can give him whatever he wants.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 11 months ago

you know, i understand he did nothing wrong...but if I were a bank employee, I would have called the police in a heart-beat.

Romans832 4 years, 11 months ago

lawrenceguy40 says: I expect LPD will (be) busy posting photos of half this town's population if their only probably cause is suspicious behavior.

I would certainly be in that elite half! I've been accused of doing things I hadn't even considered, so it must be because of suspicious behavior. (That's not limited to LPD.)

eotw33 4 years, 11 months ago

If this were me, and I went online and saw this article, I wouldn't turn myself in, and I doubt people that know me would say anything either....

ObiWan 4 years, 11 months ago

Glad to hear you're doing so well, lawrenceguy40. I agree that no crime was committed and it could have been an innocent visit, or a really stoned guy as someone suggested earlier. I will say, when you work a teller window, you sometimes get a feeling that something isn't right. I don't know any details about what was seen, but I can tell you that it must have been very, very unusual for them to report it.

Casey_Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

he musta done smoked hisself silly on that k2!

techmanmacho 4 years, 11 months ago

Yup. He was high on K2 and just wanted a People's Bank cookie.....

After all, it is "Banking Unusual".......

pfunk81 4 years, 11 months ago

Bank employees couldn't say "hey guy, no shades or hoods allowed in here?"

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

it looks to me like he standing at the counter. did he not talk to anyone or conduct business because nobody would help him?

lawthing 4 years, 11 months ago

They need to find him, he forgot his cookie!

parrothead8 4 years, 11 months ago

KEITHMILES05 (Anonymous) says… Is it a crime to act “nervous”?

The story doesn't say anything about a crime being committed. It says the police would like to identify him.

If some random guy was hanging around your front porch acting strangely and wearing sunglasses on a very overcast day, would you do something about it? Or would you just say, "Eh, he isn't committing a crime. I'll just let him keep acting weird on my front porch."

missmagoo 4 years, 11 months ago

So he is standing at the counter waiting for a teller but does not talk to any bank employees or conduct any business? Sounds like a case of poor customer service, not a crime! And besides, this picture is ridiculous. Looks like most white men in Lawrence. If the do find him, then what? Are they going to try and get an admission out of him then charge him with attempted robbery? No, because no crime was committed... and People's needs to invest in come better cameras or LJW needs to blow this picture UP!!

easyliving 4 years, 11 months ago

Senate bill # 123-2010

Calling for a ban of black hoodies (primarily black puma hoodies) in the state of Kansas. No other states have adopted this law yet...but everyone follows Kansas.

Hats and gloves are next...

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 11 months ago

HE came in to the bank looked at the Deposit Rates of the 5y CD's and decided to go spend his money on K2 instead of invest it in a 5y CD