Archive for Thursday, January 21, 2010

Senate approves bill to ban sale of K2

Francisco attempts to send bill on herbal mixture back to panel

K2 is a legal, smokable herbal mixture with chemical properties similar to THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, a Johnson County Sheriff’s deputy said. K3 is a new drug that is legal because its compounds have been altered from what was found in K2.

January 21, 2010, 5:06 p.m. Updated January 21, 2010, 5:30 p.m.

Senate approves bill to ban sale of K2

The Kansas Senate has approved a ban on synthetic drugs that produce effects similar to those of marijuana. Enlarge video

— The Kansas Senate on Thursday approved a bill to ban the chemicals in the herbal mixture K2, which has been called a synthetic marijuana and is sold in a Lawrence store.

Only state Sen. David Haley, D-Kansas City, voted against the legislation. He accused lawmakers of “political posturing” and caving in to “hysteria for what is by and large a benign substance.”

The measure now goes to the House, which is already working on its own proposal.

The bills would put synthetic compounds called JW-018 and JW-073, which are added to K2, on the state’s list of illegal drugs.

“It’s an imitation drug, but it’s still a drug,” said state Sen. Jim Barnett, R-Emporia. If enacted into law, possession of the chemicals would be a misdemeanor.

K2 is sold at The Sacred Journey in Lawrence, and other stores across the state, as incense. But law enforcement officials say it is being smoked to produce a marijuana-like high.

The Kansas Senate approved the K2 ban, 36-1.

State Sen. Marci Francisco, D-Lawrence, voted “pass.” She initially tried to send the bill back to committee for further review because she said a constituent was using K2 to alleviate symptoms from a serious illness.

Francisco said she feared a ban on the compounds would discourage scientific research on the drugs as a treatment for certain disorders.

But the Senate refused to send it back to committee. State Sen. Vicki Schmidt, R-Topeka, said, “There is no medicinal value to this that has been proven in research.”

In addition, Francisco said she voted “pass” because she believed that current law could prohibit the sale of synthetic cannabinoids if they are altered or mis-branded.

She said she agreed with another part of the bill that added to the state list of illegal substances two substances that have been identified by the federal Drug Enforcement Agency.

Comments

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

JW-018 and JW-073, are also added to fertilizer which is used in farming.

Good luck growing your corn and farm crops without it.

Kansas legislature just drove the price of Agriculture practices up.......

Truami 5 years, 2 months ago

Because the committee did not call for scientific research. There is also no scientific research that states that it is unhealthy to consume.

maxcrabb 5 years, 2 months ago

Something tells me State Sen. Vicki Schmidt wouldn't give a schmidt about my health.

sinedie 5 years, 2 months ago

Thanks to Senator Haley for having some guts and voting no.

Apparently all it takes for us to ban something is someone else not liking it, and that "it's bad for you." We better ban video games and fast food, ASAP.

Truami 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder how many of those senators smoke cigarettes or went home and had more than one glass of wine or a few orders of scotches at the bar. I think there is scientific research that states that there is no medical use for either of those recreational acts but they are not illegal.

And as the person above me said, video games and fast food are no better; however, I would bet that their children were given these products by their parents for "nutrition" or "hobbies". I mean we are playing the labeling war here by banning a substance that has not be proven to be negative yet psychologists can link increased testostrone levels in World of Warcraft players.

Also, I believe the recommended mg of sodium each day is two thousand to two thousand five hundred. Look at Subway's nutritional menu. you will find your spicy italian five dollar footlong with cheese, dressing, extra olives, pickles (extra pickles for the sorority girls as their only vegetables good parenting by the rich and mature parents of the current twenties generation) is well over three thousand mg of sodium. How much is in your other meals? Do you surpass six to ten thousand mg of sodium? That leads to one of the leading causes of death, Major Cardiovasular Diseases sitting at 936,923. Yet, the disease that would be reinforced by not banning the substance, Chronic Lower Resperitory sits at 122,009. For those of you who do not do math, that is seven times less.

werekoala 5 years, 2 months ago

I love how without even having the decency to seem embarrassed, apparently the same day they went all in on adding more casinos!

Because, Lord knows, no one's ever had a problem with gambling!

But hey, at least the state will get a cut, which is really all they care about...

horrorgeek 5 years, 2 months ago

"And as the person above me said, video games and fast food are no better; however, I would bet that their children were given these products by their parents for 'nutrition' or 'hobbies'". I'm thinking you mean "convenience" and "babysitting."

horrorgeek 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey "Troll," deadbeat loser druggies? What about the chainsmoking drunk drivers? I wonder what dirty little secrets you have to hide?

K2bandit 5 years, 2 months ago

Agreed with horror geek . . . Troll you dont need to commenting like that . . . I bet you have plenty of secrets to hide. . . Besides the point of them creating K2 - is so that you dont have people stuck on hardcore illegal drugs . . . i have been doing lots of research & actually know a chemist that has been studying the compounds . . . they have already replaced K2 with something else that is already out . . . that does not use the compounds that are about to be banned . . . years ago Society had to make a choice & they choose alcohol - you tell me is that better for you then K2? or marijuana for that matter . . . I have never heard of anyone dying from smokin pot . . . research your facts before you make uneducated comments

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

We have really just about sealed our fate as unfree Americans folks.

vuduchyld 5 years, 2 months ago

This just strikes me as REALLY bizarre. Why isn't there more national coverage on this issue? Is Kansas the only state with pending legislature or even enacted legislature against the compound? More facts, please, LJW!!!

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

"Troll you dont need to commenting like that …"

His name is "just another troll." That's what he's gonna do. Since he's not very good at it, the best is to just ignore it.

Truami 5 years, 2 months ago

"How can they enforce this without confiscating every potpourri and incense in the state? as I understand, this is a spray on compound that can be sprayed on anything. Will the police be carrying around laboratories and scientists in their trunks? "

I think their logic is to be able to confiscate pipes with any non-tobacco substance. WIth K2 they were probably hassling people but the people had a defense.

By the way, it took them less time to get this banned than to solve any problem that has worse health risks than K2. Smoked it for 3 months straight and the worst I got was a cough that went away. Smoked cigs for about 6 months and felt much worse (on much less).

Jimo 5 years, 2 months ago

Is the Legislature raising taxes to pay for this?

Janet Lowther 5 years, 2 months ago

The whole drug war got started up by prohibitionists telling "the big lie" (Say something loud enough and long enough, and people will believe you whether it is true or not.)

As I understand it, there is exactly ONE illegal drug who's pharmacological properties tend to lead to violence: PCP.

All the rest of the so-called "drug-related violence" is a result of the fact that it is illegal. Back when you could walk into a drug store and buy heroin off the shelf, junkies didn't rob houses to pay for their fixes.

Now I'm not much for drugs, even prescriptions, and I tend to annoy doctors my making 'em explain exactly why I should take what they are prescribing, but the social costs of prohibiting recreational drugs is totally unacceptable.

For a simplified look at the history of the drug war, take a look at http://www.adrugwarcarol.com/

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

I find it funny that the goverment lumps pot in with coke, heroin, meth and a buch of other hard drugs as a class A narc.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

well I personally dont know if you can still buy it in Kansas, but you sure can order from the internet,

p>amazon.com ebay.com Etc....

so until it becomes a federal crime to posess it you can order it by mail.

Alexander Neighbors 5 years, 2 months ago

so I guess this is similar to an Sunday alcohol sale ban cant buy it in Kansas but you can drive 30 min to Missouri and get anything you want.

Missengo 5 years, 2 months ago

I think its pretty funny that they banned K2 even though I've never seen someone die, overdose, or even get addicted to it. I think the senate's logic goes along the theory that "if its makes you see things its bad for you". Okay, then we should ban dreaming, because every time you are in heavy REM sleep your brain extracts large amounts of DMT into your brain, and DMT itself is very illegal. I mean there's really no point to dreaming, we don't NEED it, its just something nice to have, just like K2 used to be.

Oh well, there's tons of other designer drugs out there, the process will just keep repeating: The town bans something, people find something new, they ban that, and they'll find more, and if every psychoactive chemical is finally banned everyone will just do the better illegal drugs that the designer drugs were trying to copy.