Archive for Thursday, January 21, 2010

KU motivated by Bears’ snub

Kansas forward Marcus Morris hangs for a shot around Baylor center Ekpe Udoh during the second half, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. At right is Kansas Center Cole Aldrich.

January 21, 2010

KU survives Baylor, 81-75

Baylor gave the Jayhawks a run for their money Wednesday night at Allen Fieldhouse. Enlarge video

Reader poll
How would you grade KU's performance against Baylor's zone defense in the Jayhawks' victory Wednesday?

or See the results without voting

Sherron Collins glanced over at Baylor’s basketball bench during pregame introductions of Kansas University’s players on Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Bears were nowhere to be found.

They’d raced through the southwest tunnel for some peace and quiet.

“I don’t think it was a slap in the face, but I thought it was disrespectful. You can’t come in somebody’s homecourt and disrespect them like that,” Collins, KU’s senior guard, said, adding, “I went to our huddle and said what they did was disrespectful. I said, ‘Let’s go. Let’s win.’’’

Collins took that perceived slight and used it as inspiration in exploding for a game-high 28 points off 9-of-16 shooting in the Jayhawks’ 81-75 victory. He hit five of nine threes and five of six free throws and dished four assists against no turnovers with two steals in 38 minutes.

“They would probably say it was too noisy and can’t hear,” Collins said of the Bears refusing to watch and listen to KU’s pregame video and stick around for KU players being introduced as starters.

Indeed, that was coach Scott Drew’s explanation, saying the Bears hit the hallway to talk about how they wanted to start the game.

“Every other team sits there,” Collins noted. “I’ve never seen that in my four years (here). If we weren’t ready before, by the time they did that, we were ready.”

KU coach Bill Self, who said the Jayhawks played “great” in persevering against Baylor’s tough 2-3 zone, was miffed at Baylor’s snub.

“We talked about that,” Self said. “That was highly unusual, highly. We would never do that. Maybe that’s their philosophy on how they handle things. I don’t know.”

Self discussed the matter with Drew in the postgame handshake line. Drew informed KU’s coach that Drew wanted some quiet time with his team before tipoff. That’s the same coach who could be heard barking orders to his own players while the Jayhawks were shooting free throws.

It all added some spice to a hard-fought battle that featured a wild one-on-one scoring battle between Collins and LaceDarius Dunn (27 points, 8-of-14 shooting, 5-of-8 threes).

Collins scored 21 points the second half and was nearly perfect in doing so. He hit six of seven shots, four of five threes and five of six free throws.

“He’s the best guard in the country, at least in our opinion,” Self said.

Collins admits he was thinking of his late great-grandfather, Robert, the entire contest, especially down the stretch. Collins, whose great-grandpa died Friday night, hit the baseline to bust a 67-67 tie, shortly after the Bears erased KU’s 10-point second-half lead. He also drilled a three at 1:10 and made one of two free throws at :54, upping a 71-69 lead to six points.

“He pushed me a lot. That’s what he always told me, ‘Keep pushing. Keep pushing,’’’ said Collins, who today will fly to Chicago for this afternoon’s memorial service. He’ll be back Friday to prepare for Saturday’s 1 p.m. battle at Iowa State.

“I hate going to funerals. I have to attend. It’s a close family member,” Collins said.

Collins, who has been coming up mighty big lately — remember his 33 versus Cornell and 22 at Tennessee and Nebraska? — said “yes” when asked if he should be in the discussion for national player-of-the-year honors.

But ...

“I didn’t come back to win national player of the year. I came back to win the national championship,” Collins said. “We’ve got to keep taking small steps, win the Big 12 first.”

KU improved to 17-1 overall and 3-0 in the league. Baylor fell to 14-3, 2-2. The Bears became the first team to shoot better than 50 percent versus KU in 92 games.

“They shot a good percentage, but we also got 15 steals (including Xavier Henry’s seven thefts),” Self said.

Overall, “That was a great college basketball game,” the coach said.

And a great pregame video, he might have added.

Comments

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

yeah, Drew didn't mean any disrespect.....

this is the same b.s. coach that you could hear yelling at our players when they were taking free-throws..

can you imagine bill self yelling at a missouri player while he was shooting free-throws? "hey, he's gonna miss-he's only 57%-Cole, grab that board-he won't make it!"

weak. go back to jr. high where you and your antics belong.

7texdude 4 years, 2 months ago

I'd do the same if I was Drew. How long is that intro along with starters? Four or five minutes? His job is not to show respect to KU, his job is to make sure his team is ready to play.

It seems that Sherron and KU are looking for things to get offended at. If the Jayhawks go to Austin and have to wait that long for something like that, how would he feel? And why would UT care about how he felt?

wagonburner23 4 years, 2 months ago

We won get over the disrespect. If they had beat us then we could say we were dis'd.

Eride 4 years, 2 months ago

What are you talking about jayhawkny? Of course it was disrespectful. Why don't you name one game before this one that you have witnessed that happen? I have never, ever seen this happen once before.

It was disrespectful... period.

jayhawkny 4 years, 2 months ago

As a Jayhawk fanatic I am as devoted and loyal to my KU alma mater as they come, however I can hold no grudge against Scott Drew for walking Baylor off of the court during KU highlights.

Its frankly disappointing to see one of the most storied programs in all of basketball resort to hype, highlight videos, and special effects in a pre-game effort to intimidate our opponents. Drew brought his team to Allen Field House to play basketball, not subject them to a self-promoting segment of aggrandized television. If we were ranked #20 in the country I doubt we'd be so brash, and I'd rather let our fans and proud history continue set the tone at Allen Field House, than a video display -- irrespective of our ranking.

Our own rabid fans are there to make sure our opponents are overwhelmed with the spirit of the Phog, who would never have employed such theatrics.

As for Sheron Collins, I doubt that Baylor's disappearance during our introduction had any impact on his performance. He's proven himself a competitor and a leader under any circumstance.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk leave the highlights to ESPN.

rgh 4 years, 2 months ago

distant_voice,

Like Texas going to OT to blow out A&M last week at home huh? And like Misery pounding K-State at home, and K-State pounding D-II Fort Hays at home too.

You don't give Baylor enough credit for playing probably their best game of the year yet KU still beating them (home or away).

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't believe this is something they would even notice let alone whine about after the game. Who cares? They look petty complaining to Drew about it.

rgh 4 years, 2 months ago

tigerforlife,

You don't think the Tiggers or Anderson would feel slighted if any opposing team left the court while your precious little boys were being introduced?

I've seen a heck of a lot of games in person in my day (literally thousands) and have NEVER seen the opposing team leave the court for the opposing team's intro. You get in your huddle and kill time. The pre-game talk and instructions have been given way before that time. It wouldn't have been an issue for me here either until you popped off your mouth on our board.

I tried to write an editorial to the Columbia newspaper one time a few years back complete with my signature. It was tactful, but to the point yet the wonderful editor would not print it without adding my physical address (street, house number, city, state, zip).

CheneyHawk 4 years, 2 months ago

I think the PA announcer melodramatic over the top intro to match the Chicago Bull announcer is old & stupid. I think the canned music is stupid. Collee atmosphere is unique. If I want cheesy intros and bad recorded music, I'll go to an NBA game. If I want a great crowd and a live pep band, I'll go to a college game. I want the college kind.

justanothertroll 4 years, 2 months ago

boohoo the other team didn't listen to my name being called, whaaaaaaa!

flamingoroad 4 years, 2 months ago

Tiger for life -- Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -- you get no respect from me!!

hbjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

Congrats, Baylor! You have officially sealed your fate permanently in the Fieldhouse--you will never win here for signing a pact with the devil. No one, and I mean no one, hides in a tunnel when introductions are made. Pay Heed to all who enter . . . Beware of the Phog.

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 2 months ago

Tiger for life, maybe you can dry your tears on your own national championship banners……….oh wait. Tyus Edney sez: “good game”<<

Heh, heh...good one. Same from the Midshipmen of Navy.

Mary Sucha 4 years, 2 months ago

To bad Collins' teammates didn't take it the way he did. KU would have won by 20 if the others had played as hard as Collins.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

distant voice, i guess we'll let the national championship banners speak for themselves when it comes to respect. Ku earned that before you were born. dominate whatever you want, eventually you either: 1. Lose 2. Run up the score on your opponent. (classless)

Tiger for life, maybe you can dry your tears on your own national championship banners..........oh wait. Tyus Edney sez: "good game"

distant_voice 4 years, 2 months ago

To H... with walking out on the KU introductions. KU allowed Baylor to disrespect them on the floor. If this game had been at Baylor or on a neutral court, it would have been the Jayhawks walking away with the loss. You can't just beat good teams; on your home court you have to dominate them. If KU wants to earn respect, they have to do it on the court.

Jock Navels 4 years, 2 months ago

KANSAS: Protecting the world from missouri since 1854.

flamingoroad 4 years, 2 months ago

What is your problem? Boo hoo :( Everyone knows that Mizzou has the worst fans. And I don't think the other team should have walked off the court.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 2 months ago

This "snub" shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Scott Drew is a douchebag.

And the rules change when the Slavers come to town.

tigerforlife 4 years, 2 months ago

Where in the Book of Sportsmanship, obviously written by the University of Kansas, are “As a crowd wave to taunt opposing players when they foul out” and “Always play the Outlaw Josie Wales clip where the old hag says we’re Jayhawks born and bred blah, blah, blah and everything from Missouri sucks, blah, blah, blah each time a Missouri team comes to town” covered?

I guess this Monday night when those wonderful KU sports trot that one out Mike Anderson would be “unsportsmanlike” if he didn’t let his players stand there and watch a video telling them how bad the state their university calls home is…

Coach your team Wig, let the A-holes in your sports dept. worry about pre-game...

couranna1 4 years, 2 months ago

Jayhawks Rock Best team in the country and noone is playing any better than Sherron Drew too bad baylor babies needed some quiet time Soak in the Phog You don't get to hallowed ground that often

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

Where is the Ricky_Vaughn anti KU comment on this article? Missed one with the heater ricky. Idiot. Bashing the memory of a dead loved one on the article about Cole is without contempt. Go back to Columbia or wherever you tunneled out from.

flamingoroad 4 years, 2 months ago

Way to go Jayhawks! I think that was disrespectul of the other team to leave during the introductions. Baylor already had their "quiet time" before tipoff.

Rickyonealku 4 years, 2 months ago

Keep your focus on KANSAS not the other team until you just put an ass whippen on them... Great game Jayhawks...and glad the fans were loud....