Archive for Thursday, January 21, 2010

The old college try: Students organize fundraiser for Joe College in its fight against Kansas University

Larry Sinks, owner of Joe College, with benefit organizer Hollie Farrahi.

Larry Sinks, owner of Joe College, with benefit organizer Hollie Farrahi.

January 21, 2010

Past Event
Joe College Jamfest: Benefit Show All Proceeds go to Keep Joe College T-Shirt Store Open

featuring Sobriquet / Rusty Scott / Holy Mountain / The Sultan Sea / Auburn Skies / Black Oxygen / thePhantom*

• When: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 9 p.m.
  • Where: The Granada, 1020 Mass., Lawrence
  • Cost: $10
  • More on this event....
A customer looks through the T-shirts at Joe College.

A customer looks through the T-shirts at Joe College.

The ongoing saga of Joe College vs. the Kansas University Athletic Department has spilled into a new decade, with no end in sight. It's hard to believe that a legal tussle regarding inane T-shirts, waged between a downtown retailer and a higher education institution, has dragged on for this many years and with so many hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake.

The controversy will be reignited this week with the Joe College Jamfest, a student-organized fundraiser for the T-shirt shop on the brink of collapse due to its trademark war with KU. And it's only the latest chapter in the seemingly never-ending drama.

"I believe I received papers in May of 2006. So it's been going on for four years now," says a visibly weary Larry Sinks, owner of Joe College, who recalls the moment he encountered a message from KU athletic director Lew Perkins that would change his life. "I simply think Mr. Perkins didn't like the shirts. He sent me a letter telling me to close my store, and when I didn't close my store, I think he's used to getting his way."

Thus was born the very serious fight over very silly T-shirts. Joe College had been selling humorous apparel with KU and Lawrence themes - their most popular designs probably being the Mark Mangino baiting "My Coach Can Eat Your Coach" and ubiquitous "Muck Fizzou" shirts - that the university felt were infringing upon their trademarks. Although Sinks says he studiously avoided using a Jayhawk or any variation of an official KU logo, the athletic department still felt the shirts used colors and designs that sullied the university's good name.

"For the life of me, I don't understand how the messages that are on the back of our shirts can be part of a trademark lawsuit," says Sinks. "I mean, 'Friends don't let friends go to school in Missouri' - I don't understand how that's infringing on KU's trademarks. 'Muck Fizzou' - I don't understand how that infringed on KU's trademarks. I looked up those trademarks, and they didn't own them. It's confusing. I'm sure there are reasons for it, but it's just been a really tough time."

A jury ruled in 2008 that Joe College must stop selling 53 of its more than 200 designs and pay KU $127,000 in penalties. In 2009, the judge presiding over the case ruled Sinks and company must also pay KU nearly $550,000 in legal fees. As of right now, attorneys for Joe College have filed an appeal with the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, which may not be heard until 2011. In the meantime, Joe College waits in legal limbo, unsure if it will still be in business this time next year.

"The jury unanimously found, on all six counts, that Joe College willfully infringed on KU's marks," says associate athletic director Jim Marchiony, arguing the lawsuit was meant to protect not only the interests of the university, but of its students. "Every unlicensed product that is purchased means that a licensed product is not purchased, and that takes scholarship money away from KU students."

Dividing line

The incident has become a flashpoint in Lawrence, a referendum for some on the tenure of Perkins as AD. There's a dividing line between those who think Perkins is simply protecting KU's interests and those who think he's persecuting a small business owner. Enter Hollie Farrahi, a KU journalism student who decided to use an advertising assignment for class as a way to raise money and awareness for Joe College during its legal battle.

"Honestly, I like to think of Joe College as very quintessentially Lawrence, especially in terms of the college scene," says Farrahi, whose benefit concert tonight at The Granada will raise funds for Sinks. "When we were putting together the campaign, we really wanted to target college students because we obviously know that demographic pretty well. We also like the controversy surrounding it. We thought it would be interesting to give the company a positive spin and a positive voice in the community."

For his part, Sinks was glad to have any sliver of good news.

"Hollie informed me they want to bring attention to what has happened here and try to bring about the freedom of speech where you can print whatever you want on a T-shirt as long as you're not using their actual marks," Sinks says. "She told me there was a group of students on campus that really believe what I'm doing is OK. The students are behind me."

With the Joe College Jamfest, featuring a slate of local bands, Farrahi hopes she can tap into the pro-Joe contingent in Lawrence who believe the university, and particularly Perkins, has been heavy-handed in this dispute.

"I think it's almost a personal attack is what I'd call it," Farrahi says. "There are a lot of details that seem kind of fuzzy to me. I don't want to say, 'Oh, it's not fair.' I don't know 100 percent all of the details, but — it seems a lot of it doesn't add up."

Sinks, unsurprisingly, is of the same mind.

"Lew Perkins and I had some dialogue there for a while — his answer was that it's out of his hands and it's in the hands of the lawyers right now," Sinks says. "I know he's been driving it, but in my conversations I've had with Lew, he's said it's business and nothing personal. Yet they sued me personally. It's affecting my relationship with my wife and it's been hard on my children. It's very personal. I think they're doing everything in their power to close me down. One of my offers to them was to close the store to settle this thing and make it go away. They haven't answered those offers. Their offer was, 'We want to know every dime that you have.'"

Ready for an end

Despite Sinks' assertions, the athletic department insists it never sought a war of legal attrition and that its aim is not to drive Joe College out of business.

"This lawsuit is not something we wanted to happen," Marchiony says. "Larry Sinks had ample opportunity to stop being a willful infringer, but he made the very conscious decision to continue to be a willful infringer, and the jury said so. Our only goal is to have Larry Sinks stop infringing on KU's marks. He can sell T-shirts. He's very, very capable of selling T-shirts that do not willfully infringe on KU's marks."

Farrahi, who insists the fundraiser is not an anti-Perkins-palooza but purely a means to generate positive publicity for Joe College, has nonetheless caught the attention of the athletic department. "I got an e-mail from them. They weren't happy with it, basically. I had some errors in the press release in terms of wording about legal fees versus damages," recalls Farrahi, describing the tone of the e-mail as, "Very rude. It was condescending."

While Sinks is grateful for the support from Farrahi and the community, in the end he just wants this whole affair to go away.

"If you only knew how many people come up to me and say, 'We're proud for what you've stood up for,'" says Sinks with obvious emotion in his voice. "But if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't even be here. It's not worth what I had to go through with my wife and my kids. The tears at night from my wife several times, some things my kids have been told at school - it's not worth it. Life's too short."

Comments

heybluekc 4 years, 8 months ago

Luck Few. Then go Luck yourself. What has Lew did that is so damm bad???? Put KU in the position to compete with Texas and OU in all sports. Im sorry dude you cant sit on the 50yd line after buying $15 North Bowl tickets anymore. Or that your Grandmother's seats are now $30K a year in Allen Fieldhouse. Why dont you look at Lew's track record. How about Jim Calhoun and Gino Auriemma and Randy Edsell UCONNS football coach who was mentioned in lots of coaching searches this year. He did nothing wrong with Mangino. Mangino buried himself just like Mike Leech and Jim Levit.

This Joe College crap is just that. I find it classless and tasteless. I was walking into the football game at Norman in 08 and was behind a fan who had a shirt that read..."You can take the Panhandle and shove it up your *&^%... I say to Larry Sinks to take your Joe College store and open it in Columbia that way you can have the original poor sports to cater to and leave KU. a school with "Class" out of it. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! Thats what its all about!

kujayhawk7476 4 years, 8 months ago

Mr. Sinks violated licensing laws when all he had to do was pay the fees like every other retailer does. To say his creations don't infringe on the university's mascot is ludicrous. I completely support the Kansas athletice department in this case. Pay up or go away Mr. Sinks.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 8 months ago

WELL I WENT TO STORES AROUND LAWRENCE TO FIND ME A COUPLE DIFFERENT SHIRTS THAT I LIKED,WELL GUESS WHAT ? THE UNIVERSITY DID NOT SELL ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT I LIKED,SO GUESS WHERE I HAD TO GO ? THATS RIGHT.REVENU LOST AT KU ? WELL IF THEY WOULD SELL THE DESIGNS THAT PEOPLE WANT THEN MABY THEY COULD COMPLAIN BUT THEY WON'T. SO UNTILL THEN SHUT UP !!!!!

Zachary Stoltenberg 4 years, 8 months ago

Before you take a side on the issue, chech out the US trademark site. You can search every registered trademark, who owns it, and when it was trademarked. You can also read about exactly what "Infringement" is. By my account, doesn't look like Mr Sinks has done anything wrong. This isn't about trademarks... It's about $$$. I don't care how much KU athletics has progressed under Perkins, I didn't think the entire focus of a university was supposed to be sports. I HaVE seen what Perkins has done to alumni support (alienation of the little guys) and this personal vendetta against Joe-College has gone way too far. I hate that Dirty Lou spent over a half million dollars going after a local businessman that sells "muck fizzou" t-shirts when numerous student groups sell them all over campus every fall. Try to separate the issues. It really isn't about trademarks or protecting KU's identity or how good Perkins is at doing what he was hired to do. This is about money and the all powerful Lou burrying someone who dared stand up to him.

Kyle Chandler 4 years, 8 months ago

to be brutally honest

i dont enjoy sports much....but i do enjoy laughter.

anyone defending Lew either owes him a favor or is making some sort of profit by his position at KU.

the consensus on campus is clear as day....no one likes him...period. and who would like someone out to ruin what should be a good time.

if joe college goes under.....i will personally finance the making of shirts, of my own design, and give them away for free.....

please sue me........you will get nothing

haha

flux 4 years, 8 months ago

I think we are missing the big picture here and that would be the sexy red head next to Larry.....

FarneyMac 4 years, 8 months ago

If little Larry Sinks is so hard up for cash, maybe he should sell his multi-million dollar Bauer Brook home. What an idiotic reason for a "fundraiser." I hope the IRS takes a real close look at the funds raised by this little misguided j-school moron. Why not hold a concert for something that REALLY needs the money?

mom_of_three 4 years, 8 months ago

I find it a little disconcerning that a j school student hasn't studied on the case or done the investigating to understand the issue. "I had some errors in the press release in terms of wording about legal fees versus damages." She had errors when she was advertising. Come on, if you are a student who is going to back an issue and issue a presss release, you need your facts right.

cali 4 years, 8 months ago

LOL! flux - I agree!

FarneyMac - you should get your facts straight...Sinks doesn't live in Bauer Brook. Maybe you're thinking of Self.

mom_of_three - I find it a little disconcerning that KU (a LEARNING school) didn't take the time to explain to Hollie what her errors were. Instead they just wanted to jump down her throat because she is a joe-college supporter. Typical KU!

jmcjike 4 years, 8 months ago

It's just business don't take it personal. The Godfather of KU Athletics speaks. Lew's a classy individual. Luck Few!

anon1958 4 years, 8 months ago

Typical KU double speak. What the many apologizers for KU and Lucked up Few do not know is how high handed and aggressive KU administrators deal with anyone that disagrees with them or their agenda.

The lawyers are of course working for Lucked up Few and KU so it is not out of his hands but our unbeloved AD believes that the readers are too stupid to realize this. No action is too low or mean spirited for the narcissistic misanthropes that run KU, that is a simple fact of life in Kansas that hundreds of people can attest to from personal experience.

I am sure that the high and mighty up on the hill think that decades of abusing their workers and their relationship with the local community has no meaningful effect. In a state like Kansas where there is hostility against higher education to begin with, the high handedness of KU erodes sympathy and you can bet that it translates ultimately to real political damage. The populist mind set is very strong but the overpaid higher administrators at KU are too wrapped up in their own little world to notice it.

Topside 4 years, 8 months ago

Amen Flux...Amen. I noticed. I just hope the other sexy red head I married doesn't read this article.

1029 4 years, 8 months ago

"Every unlicensed product that is purchased means that a licensed product is not purchased, and that takes scholarship money away from KU students." -Marchiony

BS. Aren't a lot of these Joe College shirts like $5? Go to any other store downtown and buy an "official" KU T-shirt and it will be more like $20. I'm sympathetic to the other downtown business owners who pay KU to carry the officially licensed merchandise, but to assume that a student who chooses to buy a $5 JC T-shirt would have otherwise purchased a $20 shirt if Joe College didn't exist is pure ignorance. Sure, most of these kids can afford plenty of $20 t-shirts, but I've known more than one person who chose Joe College because they simply couldn't afford an official KU t-shirt and wanted to be wearing blue on gameday.

kujayman1 4 years, 8 months ago

What? This degrades Lawrence. There are 150,000 plus people dead in Haiti and hundreds of thousands of people- including kids- homeless, without food and water, wandering the streets, Neighborhood Schools like Cordley and New York are facing possible closure, social services across Lawrence are in peril and the food banks are in need of donations---- and people are seriously calling for donations to Larry Sinks and his silly t-shirt store? What has he done for Lawrence, other than sell shirts? Does anyone know? Is he even a decent person or a jerk? Pleeease. Let's get our priorities straight! A penny for Sinks would go a long way for a starviung kid in Haiti... or a hungry kid in Lawrence!!!

kujayman1 4 years, 8 months ago

If I'm reading it correctly, the beneficiary of this 'fund raiser' has about $700,000 worth of property right here in Lawrence. Take a look at it yourself; maybe I'm wrong: http://www2.ljworld.com/propertyvalues/?q=larry+sinks

mom_of_three 4 years, 8 months ago

Cali- she is a journalism student. Aren't they supposed to research their information before publishing something? She doesn't know the facts of the case, and probably doesn't know the other side. And why should KU athletics department be nice in a letter, WHICH we haven't seen by the way and are only taking her word for it, explaining the facts in the case. "oh I am sorry, miss journalism student, but here are the facts that you misconstrued in your press release..." Uh, no. A journalism student who doesn't bother to get the facts correct - now that is a scary thought.

kujayman1 4 years, 8 months ago

Fundraiser? From http://www.kansan.com/news/2008/dec/08/joecollege/: "…He (Sinks) built his first company, Midwest Graphics, into a multi million dollar-a-year company. The company printed shirts for small colleges, local bars, restaurants, companies — anybody who wanted shirts… After almost 15 years, Sinks sold Midwest Graphics in 1996…" Wow.

kujayman1 4 years, 8 months ago

With friends like those he 'name dropped' below, he outta be ashamed for passing the hat to Lawrence folks, at the expense of Haiti and our own needs here!

Excerpts below are from: http://www.kansan.com/news/2008/dec/08/joecollege/

"He’s (Sinks) partied with Kid Rock. He’s sipped on Miller Lites with him.

Listen to Sinks talk long enough, and the name dropping begins. He laughs when people call him out for casually dropping, say, Muhammad Ali into a conversation about T-shirts. He doesn’t do it on purpose, he says.

And yes, Sinks visited the White House, and yes, he’s met Bill Clinton. But he doesn’t want his famous friends to define him, he says.

“I met Derrick Thomas,” he says calmly. “And Derrick Thomas introduced me to Hank Williams Jr. And Hank Williams Jr. introduced me to Kid Rock.”

So many adventures. A dinner with Schaap and Ali in Orlando on Super Bowl weekend. A chance encounter with actor Tommy Davidson on the streets of Washington, D.C. And then there’s his greatest adventure. The one when he met his wife, Carrie.

Sinks fiddles with his phone. He’s just received a text from former NASCAR driver and Indy Car driver Larry Foyt, one of his many friends in the racing world.

Sasha Kaun, a center on Kansas’ 2008 NCAA Championship team, was coming over to watch the NBA Draft. Sinks, Kaun and a group of Kaun’s friends watched as five Jayhawks were drafted. Kaun would be taken in the second round by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

“Actually Sasha left about 20 minutes before he was drafted,”

Sinks says he’s been a supporter of KU sports for more than 25 years. He had a great relationship with former basketball coach, Larry Brown, he says."

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

FarneyMac, I would guess this is less about money and more about a show of support, a voicing of the opinion of the people and I am 100% behind it.
Luck Few and Luck heybluekc too. It reads as thought KU thinks it has a trademark on crimson and blue, but those is just a hue, boo hoo. There's a poem in there somewhere!!

Haiku_Cuckoo 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm with KU on this one. The shirts that say "Muck Fizzou" and "I Sh*t Purple" are pretty embarrassing and he has already been told to stop selling other shirts that infringe on KU property. I have no sympathy for the guy.

BobtheBuilder 4 years, 8 months ago

From what I understand, Sinks is not the one who is putting this thing on. It is the students who are supporting him. Who cares who all of his friends are Jayman. I've seen the guy out with the basketball coaches on many occasions and they don't seem to have a problem with him. I've heard several groups of people tell me that he has contributed donations to other causes around town. I 'm pretty sure he has lived in Lawrence his entire life. I was also told several KU basketball players have stayed at his house when they needed help with things. The guy truly got screwed on this deal and I hope he survives this horrible ordeal he has been put through.

Confrontation 4 years, 8 months ago

I like how Sinks points out only the most mild t-shirts. What about his shirts that used the entire name of KU players? Like "If loving Julian is wrong, I don't want to be Wright." A smart business owner would've looked into the issues that this can cause for a college players.

monkey_c 4 years, 8 months ago

Sinks doesn't deserve to be bashed because a third party wanted to show him support. He shouldn't be bashed because he is cooler than you and you are jealous and or think he shouldn't mention that he knows names worth dropping. Why, cause you too cool and it makes you feel bad? He also doesn't deserve to be stripped of his life savings, and drug through the mud and cause his wife to cry and his kids to be taunted to defend YOUR freedom of speech. Trademarks are very specifc. Sinks indicated he did not use official KU marks such as the Jayhawk or the KU logo. Get a life. Embrace satire and humor and don't be jealous. Green eyed monsters.

Hop2It 4 years, 8 months ago

Yikes....did the athletic department hire grad students to start posting things to make everyone else look worse?

Instead of trying to smash things with an iron first, sometimes benevolent dictators just ignore things (and they go way.)

inquiry 4 years, 8 months ago

the real issue here is the effort to generate community support in favor of a small company that contributes to the community, not only in terms of the business it brings, but also the attention it pays to the wants and needs of students---who happen to comprise a significant part of Lawrence's local economy...and charm

CLARKKENT 4 years, 8 months ago

HEYBLUEKC--

LEAVE A SCHOOL WITH "CLASS" OUT OF IT.

BEFORE LEW, IT WAS A SCHOOL WITH "CLASS". NOW IT IS A SCHOOL FOR THE ELITE FEW.

MANGINO DID NOT BURY HIMSELF, HE JUST WON, AND CROSSED LEW.

MUCK FEW WOULD BE A BIG SELLER

BabyBear 4 years, 8 months ago

since the concert isnt being put together by anyone involved with joe-college.com I dont think there should be any anger. the students at KU have decided to do this and you should respect that.

MaryKatesPillStash 4 years, 8 months ago

Can someone in the know here please explain to me why a shirt that says "My coach can eat your coach" is a copyright infringement (or trademark? What is the difference between the two)? I would like to be educated on this subject. Rukus?

MyName 4 years, 8 months ago

flux:

^^^ that x 2.

That being said, I personally think this is more lawyer driven than lew driven. The way the law works, if you don't defend your trademarks, you lose them.

Still it is a little messed up when you have to consult with a lawyer in order to run a freakin T-Shirt business.

Sue McDaniel 4 years, 8 months ago

It is all about the money, not what is right or wrong, it is trying to portray this as a little guy against a huge wealthy college and it is not about that.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 8 months ago

It's hilarious to hear the (dead on accurate) Lew quotes: "it's not personal, it's business" or "it's out of my hands." Really? Who is in charge over there? Lew or the lawyers? It's the same ridiculous tactic he takes any time there is any problem over there... it's very low-brow Meyer Lansky-ish.

Frightwig 4 years, 8 months ago

"Who is in charge over there? Lew or the lawyers?"

When it comes to trademark infringement, the lawyers are in charge.

jhawks1234 4 years, 8 months ago

"mangino did not bury himself, he just won, and crossed lew"

Really? Mangino won? it probably had nothing to do with his 1-7 record in the big 12 last year when KU was supposed to win the North.

On another note I would love to buy a Luck Few t-shirt

flux 4 years, 8 months ago

I say we action off a date with the benefit organizer

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 4 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to place my order for a "Suck Finks" t-shirt.

BobtheBuilder 4 years, 8 months ago

Hellsbasement, I just looked at the picture and am confused as to which ones are in clear violation. I'm sure you must be smarter than I am, as all I do is build houses. It's amazing how you know so much about this. As far as a Suck Finks shirt it is my understanding that joe college can make that shirt for you. I'm sure they would be happy to have the business. I personally have known Larry a long time and know he has been great to me and all the people I know. It must feel real good for you guys to be such haters. Good luck Larry!!!

9070811 4 years, 8 months ago

"I had some errors in the press release in terms of wording about legal fees versus damages.”

This does mean she had the figures wrong, it only means that she assembled her sentences incorrectly.

mtorkzadeh 4 years, 8 months ago

i think this whole thing is un-necessary and brings a whole lot of trouble for a local businessman that's just trying to keep afloat. a very close friend of mine works for Larry pressing t-shirts and i really hope that KU/Perkins doesn't take his job away due to "infringement" if you want to call it. KU you are a very prestigious and outstanding university, but come on! taking down anyone in your way of making money so alumni and perkins can sit pretty?

d_prowess 4 years, 8 months ago

Direct quote from the student when speaking about the legal situation, "I don't know 100 percent all of the details." So let me get this straight, she is organizing a fundraiser for a business involved in a legal dispute that has already been ruled against once by a jury, yet she doesn't understand all the details of the dispute. I understand the First Amendment aspect of this case, and there seems to be some merit that not all of what this business does is in violation, but there are definitely shirts that are according to the legal proceedings so far. So I don't understand why so many people are rushing to defend this guy and his shop (well, I actually do; many are just the anti-Perkins crowd willing to support anything that goes against him). And I find him bring in the sympathetic comments about his wife crying at night to just be sleazy. You can't honestly feel that you are not partially to blame for that, sir. He is totally within his rights to keep fighting in the courts, and if he wins, good for him. But quit playing the martyr card...

9070811 4 years, 8 months ago

Of course Hollie doesn't know 100% of the details. She wasn't in the courtroom, she doesn't have contact to the lawyers and Lew sure as h3ll wouldn't talk to her. There is no way she could know all of the details.

What difference does it make anyways? She's just doing a fundraiser for business that got pooped on by KUAthletics because they used red & blue on t shirts.

You are going to have to get over the fact that 19 year old spent a ton of hours organizing a fundraiser.

Hop2It 4 years, 8 months ago

You don't have to know 100%. All you have to know is that pretty much anyone is going to be the lesser of two evils vs. Lew Perkins.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 8 months ago

Might I suggest the University immediately claim a copyright on the following names:

Sobriquet / Rusty Scott / Holy Mountain / The Sultan Sea / Auburn Skies / Black Oxygen / thePhantom*

That'll show 'em.

luckypinkpanther 4 years, 8 months ago

I was born and raised in lawrence kansas. and i can tell you that this town has no place for people or business that are not part of the ku program. what jury is gonna go against ku.thier really claiming color and design issue's. if they don't get a percent of your money then they just take it all. good luck man welcome to lawrence.

bigjaybabyjay 4 years, 8 months ago

LSU v. Smack Apparel - Court of Appeals (5th circuit) conclusion: "the colors, content, and context of the offending t-shirts are likely to cause confusion as to their source, sponsorship, or affiliation..."

d_prowess 4 years, 8 months ago

I just think it is funny that anyone would try to organize a fundraiser for someone that has been found in violation of the law already by a jury, especially when they don't know all the facts surrounding the case (her words).
And I am not saying she shouldn't be organizing this, I just would want to be sure of all the facts before I throw my name and money into something. I kind of wish the reporter asked her more questions about it. Like, does she understand why KU might be trying to protect their trademark? Does she understand what legal arguments the lawyers of Mr. Sinks are using to claim his innocents? Or does she just think the shirts are funny and so screw trademark law!

inquiry 4 years, 8 months ago

i think she was fumbling around, trying to avoid slandering Athletics. there is no new news here; the concert supports and promotes the strength of the KU student body. disclosing details of the trial would not further the cause, but rather result in petty arguments concerning who said what to whom when. support local business, help out the little man. that's all.

Jeremiah Jefferson 4 years, 8 months ago

KU must need more money to pay the Basketball players...

persevering_gal 4 years, 8 months ago

While I think some of the t-shirts are tasteless, there is no evidence that Sinks is stealing KU's trademarks in any way. Reading about updates on this story and the never-ending battle actually makes me want to go out and support Larry. How can you copyright a color for crying out loud? Go sue Jayhawk Dental for a change. Their sign has both a Jayhawk mascot and the word "Jayhawk" on it!

LawrenceKSHomeBoy 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't understand why students and fans want to support a business that won't support their school. I'm glad to see that he is going out of business. He's a crook.

xclusive85 4 years, 8 months ago

ok, i think people are being too hard on both parties involved here. I will start with Lew. How many of you know the man? but here you are making assertions to his character that just aren't justified. And Mr. Sinks. Wow, crook? can't believe that he really meant to make anyone at KU mad and rip them off. Really sounds like a mistake to me. One that he should have taken care of as soon as it was broght to his attention.

Hollie, honey, you are a journalism student. I take it you are here to learn that craft. You may be cute, but you are not hot enough that it will carry you through life. Go to school, learn to do something well. Use this as a learning experience to become better at what you want to do with your life.

shorttrees 4 years, 8 months ago

The question no one has asked yet-- What business is it of the KUAC whether someone throws a benefit or not?? Why should Lew or his representative from KU send an email or get involved in the fundraiser in any way? It's none of KU's dadgummed business, and they have no right to "not be happy" about it, let alone right or reason to interfere.

But then the same mentality caused the whole issue in the first place.

Larry Bauerle 4 years, 8 months ago

Larry Sinks knew what he was doing when he started. He was reminded first by KU. He was then reminded further by a jury. He doesn't need a fund raiser, he needs to learn to listen.

cowboy 4 years, 8 months ago

Sinks continues to skate on very thin ice. This publicity hound trying to garner sympathy is pathetic while pictured with KU players name shirts in the background. You should be sued by the players from unlawful profit from use of their names. EA sports has been sued recently for use of players likenesses in gaming products. It appears you are guilty of that !

The college product business is a lucrative one. Licensees can make a large margin on the products , retailers can double their money easily. yet this guy has chosen an even greedier approach to use schools , players , to even further line his pockets while not playing by the simple rules everyone else adheres to. You did this in your last business and got caught and lost your licenses and now you continue.

Have no sympathy for this crook.

sundancewierdo 4 years, 8 months ago

If not for KU, Sinks wouldn't make any money at all. KU IS his gimmick. Not to mention the tasteless quality of messages on these shirts. I'll bet networks love when cameramen pan the crowd and spot some dumbs#!t wearing a muck fizzou shirt. While I may think that's funny, i'm not sure that's the image KU wants to project to the bowl selection committees.

7texdude 4 years, 8 months ago

The No. 1 issue of this debate is Lew Perkins, not the t-shirts. The people that support Lew back him on this. The people who hate Lew are against him. I loved all the snips about Mangino getting fired, etc. This is not about that. This is about t-shirts and copyright infringement.

Both KU and Joe College t-shirts have spent a lot of money in this case. Looks like they are going to spend some more.

I find it really funny that a bunch dumb college kids who buy "Muck Fizzou" and want to start a "Luck Few" line of shirts are going to beat KU in the courtroom. The student organizer admits she doesn't know all the issues either. They can raise a ton of money and all that's going to happen is that more lawyers are going to get paid. In the end, this place will get shut down because KU will do what it always does: throw money at a problem until it goes away. They will keep taking this guy to court until he loses everything or just gives up.

FarneyMac 4 years, 8 months ago

Cali - you might want to look to see who owns the lot at 4505 Bauer Brook Ct, then you might want to consider shutting the hell up.

pace 4 years, 8 months ago

If they hired Lew to be a bully and hired him to drive out the unimportant alumni and kiss up the rich ones. then they must be happy. I am ashamed that KU is associated with such a corruption of college sports. It if it is only the money, the jayhawks should just turn pro, there is no redemption from this corruption if everyone is agreed that cash is the only player in this game.

badbrainstorm 4 years, 8 months ago

Lets not forget this all started because ESPN complained about the Muck Fizzou shirts. Euck FSPN!

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

Okay, this may violate the TOS, but Hollie is hot.

ralphralph 4 years, 8 months ago

Lew sucks. Period. Claiming every "unlicensed" product sold means a licensed product was not sold is just stupid and a lie. The creative and non-infringing products of Joe College sell to people and under circumstances where the official Lew-blessed products would not. What a bunch of jerks on Snob Hill to clobber an energetic member of the community like this. Bite me, Lew!

samantharockchalk 4 years, 8 months ago

Shoooot I didn't know KU owned the color blue and Ariel bold font. Maybe if KU didn't charge $30 for a t-shirt they wouldn't feel they're losing business to Joe College who's shirts are half the price. Students like what they like, deal with it.

heybluekc 4 years, 8 months ago

Anyone want to start a business with me. I need your money this will really work. We can get brown and yellow T-shirts and we will come up with some cool phrases. I got some ideas already.

Salt me and Grease me I can eat two Fillets Our Team will Quarter Pound you My McNuggets are Bigger than your McNuggets McFlurry yourself

JimmyJoeBob 4 years, 8 months ago

Kam Fong

Do you really want to wear a shirt thats suggests you want to "Suck a Fink".

I like Lew but I will take two Luck Few Shirts

JimmyJoeBob 4 years, 8 months ago

Heybluekc

Those shirts are already in production in Arkansas and you may be at risk for a law suit now for releasing that information. Knock it off...... Pew Lerkins

Jim Williamson 4 years, 8 months ago

"...I think he's used to getting his way."

And he will this time, too. Stop it, Larry. You're just going to hurt yourself.

But it is nice to see Larry dragging a naive but well-meaning chippy who doesn't know any better down into the muck with him.

"I don't know like all of the details er whateverrr, but Joe College is so Lawrence and like this is about free speech er whateverrr."

hesshawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Is the Jayhawk Motel is still open? They'd better watch out; Uncle Fester will be shutting it down next. Obviuos copyright infringement.

It's all about the $$. And we know that Fester lives for squeezing the $$ out of anybody he can find in any way he can.

redmoonrising 4 years, 8 months ago

If he would have paid the fee and played by the rules(even though we don't always like or agree with them), he would have saved himself a lot to time and headaches. Instead, he chose to push the line and see how far he could go. I don't feel sorry for him.

freighttrain221 4 years, 8 months ago

It bothers me to see Sinks going along with this. A jury found him guilty, told him to stop selling certain shirts and yet he continues to do so. If his poor business ethics are causing financial duress, he should sell his million dollar golf course home and downsize to something in the $750k range until he decides to do business legally. Instead of taking money from a group of well-meaning, yet uninformed, struggling college students Sinks should admit that he is responsible for dragging out this mess and suggest that the students raise money for a more worthwhile cause instead. Perhaps the money would be better spent going to the people in Haiti or the local Health Care Access clinic. Hollie, I admire your spirit. People like you make a difference in this world. I just think you and your friends are throwing away your time and money on this particular issue. Larry, please man-up and do what's right. Run a clean business and don't take the kids' charity money.

california 4 years, 8 months ago

Larry sinks to a new low. Look what he is doing to his wife and kids--by his own admission. And even the reporter thinks he looks ragged. He's a crook and an idiot.

asbury 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, for heavens sake. Let the man sell his t-shirts!!

PikesPeakJhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

I have been keeping tabs on this drama from day one as I am a hometown girl who makes it back to Jayhawk City 4-5 times a year so I am throwing my 2 cents worth into this pit.I am NOT a fan of Larry Sinks....he is an egotistical, arrogant jerk! How can I say this? Because I personally know him to be just that!! He was a little brat all through grade school (Kennedy),jr. high (Central), and high school(LHS). My brother used to run around with him, while I went to school with his older brother, Chuck(who happened to be a very nice guy and still is...). Larry was a rude,cocky troublemaker back then who never followed the rules . Some things never change...and although I dislike the guy immensely, I have to admit I love the store!! Every time I come home, my husband and I stop in to see my good friend Erin and pick up a couple shirts. We always leave with big smiles on our faces, probably because we have a good sense of humor and in this world, that helps. Sure, some of the shirts ARE outrageous, even offensive, but overall I believe they are meant to be just what they are,funny.If you are one of those who is offended by these shirts, simply look the other way...theres always going to be something out there that you don't like.Deal with it! Meanwhile, as much as I hate to say it, I do wish Larry good luck,(this will be the ONLY time I do!) As for the LUCK FEW shirts...Erin, I'll take TWO!! (My soldier will love to take it to Afghanistan later this year.) We love you girl!