Archive for Thursday, January 21, 2010

Robbery report spurs arrests of man, 22, and woman, 39

January 21, 2010, 12:28 p.m. Updated January 21, 2010, 9:58 p.m.

Lawrence police arrested a 22-year-old homeless man and a 39-year-old Lawrence woman Thursday for allegedly robbing a man while driving around town Tuesday night.

A 21-year-old Lawrence man reported he’d been riding in a vehicle when an acquaintance in the car pulled out a gun and demanded money from him, police said. The robbery occurred about 9:15 p.m. Tuesday in the 1500 block of Haskell Avenue.

Police said cash and personal property were taken from the victim before he was allowed to get out of the vehicle and run away, said Sgt. Bill Cory, Lawrence Police spokesman. According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Damon Thomas, the 39-year-old woman was driving the vehicle.

Officers said they located 22-year-old Ronald Broschart Wednesday night at a home in the 2200 block of Ohio. Police said he struggled with officers before they could take him into custody. He was booked into Douglas County Jail early Thursday.

During a search of the home, police said they found a gun and signs of drug activity.

Broschart was subsequently arrested and charged with aggravated robbery, battery on a law enforcement officer and an aggravated weapons violation.

Broschart made his first appearance in court Thursday afternoon and is being held in jail on $50,000 bond, prosecutors said.

The woman was arrested at 3 p.m. on charges of aggravated robbery.

Comments

Jeteras 4 years, 11 months ago

guns hell "Lawrence police arrested a 22-year-old homeless man Thursday morning for robbing a man while driving around town Tuesday night." This confusing paragraph makes me think he owns a car too? wow,, better put an addition on the shelter for the garages so they have somewhere to park their cars.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

The fact that the man is homeless is totally irrelevant. There are many reason why people lose their homes. Perhaps he had the gun before he lost his housing and just kept it. Or, it might have been just one of the things that lead to his homeless state. I don't know. He had money for the drugs after robbing the man. This should not count against every homeless person in Lawrence who deserve help and compassion.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 11 months ago

Maybe they should look into whether he is responsible for the robbery at Great Harvest and the burglary at Terrebonne

Currahee 4 years, 11 months ago

Probably lost his job while doing drugs. Don't throw him in our jails. Dump him in Johnson County.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 11 months ago

I am a lonesome hobo Without family or friends, Where another man's life might begin, That's exactly where mine ends. I have tried my hand at bribery, Blackmail and deceit, And I've served time for ev'rything 'Cept beggin' on the street.

Bob Dylan - I Am A Lonesome Hobo

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 11 months ago

Irish...are you an attorney because your attempt at logic is a bit off. Homeless does not equal indigent. They are quite resourceful, in fact. They may not have enough money to pay rent but they always seem to have enough to buy smokes and drugs and alcohol. I have yet to encounter a homeless individual who is not an addict of some type. We are to feel sorry for addicts who want to continue their addictions and resort to crimes against our residents ? I think not.

1029 4 years, 11 months ago

"Police said cash and personal property were taken from the victim, before he was allowed to get out of the vehicle and run away"

So the guy didn't also steal the car? Was he just like, "Ok. Thanks for your wallet. Now get out of your car and run away." Did he just leave the car and walk from 1500 Haskell to 2200 Ohio?

BlackVelvet 4 years, 11 months ago

some homeless=unfurtunate souls many Lawrence homeless=worthless, lazy addicts seeking a handout or more

1029 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh, scratch that previous comment.....Sounds like there must have been a third person driving the vehicle. Strange no mention of the accomplice, though.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 11 months ago

Hypocrits your all here for the very same reason. Anyway it sounds more like he wasn't homeless if he was found at a residence in the 22oo block of Ohio

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

apparently the 2200-block ohio house was not his abode.

Irish, I was just writing how homeless population concentrates criminals. then if you take out the folks helped by family promise, you've got a very high concentration of criminas in the "homeless"=bums.

we have to stop building an attraction for this population. only serve those who: have local ties or local history; and those who make choices in the right direction to escape their self-destruction.

Failingwhile reading has exhibited extreme racial prejudice, which if the equivalent were expressed by a white, he/she/it would be driven out of town on a rail. Failingwhilereading thinks we should continue to make bums comfortable in their self-destruction.

Failingwhilereading should look up the articles on the bum camp that was dozed by the train depot. stogies, booze bottles and "adult magazines" were found there in abundance. two guys died of drugs there. Failingwhilereading would fascilitate this "lifestyle" choice.

the bums got the money for most of that in handouts from idjiots like Irish. if we stop giving them money, they might just leave and thereby improve our downtown.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 11 months ago

bearded You have made many assumptions. I have to give you credit you imaginations is unbelievable. The ideas you have came up about me from so few words typed out. I can tell you you missed the point I was trying to make. It wasn't very difficult to figure out, but I will give you this. You have one hell of an imagination.

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 11 months ago

bearded What makes it your downtown. I am sure you do not have any special rights given to you under our constitution that makes it anymore yours than the bum, the trashmans,the cops,or the politicians. I believe your since of intitalment is missed placed,and wrong. The costitution affords equal rights. Not your rights are above anyone elses. If I choce to go downtown are you going to say something about me, and my family being there? Does downtown belong to only to people you think you might like?

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

HOMELESS ??? SEARCH OF THE HOME ??? WHICH IS IT ? HOMELESS OR HAS A HOME GUESS I'M LOST ON THAT ONE.

Eugehne Normandin 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess he was worried about the pan handling ban

50YearResident 4 years, 11 months ago

Did the perpertrater reciently move here from California to start a new life away from the gang and drugs?

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

39-year-old Cougar not named in article.

apparently she needs a new boytoy.

Failingwhilereading, one need only read in your posting history to see an intense hatred of whites which would not be tolerated toward other races. no, not imagination.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 11 months ago

39 year old "cougar" has the same name as a Haskell instructor.

Very peculiar name. Not one that would be easily misconstrued.

Irishflower22 4 years, 11 months ago

I have been told that the 'cougar' is in fact a 'professor' although I was not told where. I feel for the chidren of the woman. Drugs destroy more than just the lives of the addict. It affects all who care for these people. All friends and family can do is stand by, powerless and watch them self destruct. God help them.

lawthing 4 years, 11 months ago

I heard the yellowhouse has been robbed several times in the last month but havnnt seen anything made public about it.

Jersey_Girl 4 years, 11 months ago

Jeteras - you need to work on your reading comprehension. The woman was driving. It was probably her car.

PitBull - many homeless are also mentally ill and are attempting to self-medicate because they can't afford the medications they need. It's called a dual-diagnosis.

Gnome - nice call on the cougar.