Archive for Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Unemployed? Get a newspaper subscription for $1

January 20, 2010

People who are unemployed and live within the Lawrence Journal-World delivery area can get a 13-week subscription to the paper for $1.

“We want to ensure that residents experiencing difficult times are able to stay connected to the news and be aware of job opportunities and advertising specials published in the paper each day,” said Chris Bell, Journal-World circulation director.

To receive the $1 deal, residents must visit the Journal-World circulation office, 609 N.H., and present a current Kansas unemployment statement. The address on an individual’s ID must match the address on the unemployment statement where the newspaper will be delivered.

If the unemployed person is already a subscriber, he or she can come to the Journal-World office and pay $1 to extend the subscription by 90 days.

Unemployed residents can sign up for this offer until Feb. 19.

Comments

LogicMan 4 years, 11 months ago

A nice gesture in this minor depression. Find those jobs, and good deals for necessities in the ads and coupons!

Bunny_Hotcakes 4 years, 11 months ago

If you had a "Like" button, I'd click it.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

WOW WOW WOW NOT THAT LAWRENCE HAS ANY JOBS ANYWAY. BUT FOR THOSE WHO DONT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS THAT IS AWESOME.GUESS I'LL GO GET MY PRINT FOR 3 MONTHS FOR $1.

KansasPerson 4 years, 11 months ago

It's a really nice thing to do for the community. One hitch is -- I know some people whose UE has run out and they still don't have work. Is there no other way that they can prove that they're not yet employed?

Randall Barnes 4 years, 11 months ago

I WOULD HOPE THAT A LETTER FROM THE LAWRENCE WORKFORCE CENTER WOULD WORK JUST NEED TO CALL LJW AND ASK. PLEASE LET US KNOW.

DennisAnderson 4 years, 11 months ago

If you are unsure of your eligibility for this offer, please call Circulation Director Chris Bell at 785-832-7137, or stop in at the Journal-World's offices at 609 New Hampshire St. Dennis Anderson Managing Editor

shotgun 4 years, 11 months ago

Thanks LJW. A nice gesture. FYI, I took a piece of mail from the Department of Labor with me. They just want to verify the address. Not a major security thing!

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 11 months ago

I think the newspaper should be subsidized by the state gov't but I love this idea for 1$.

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 11 months ago

I was looking at papers from the late 1800 and they were made up of local people writing in stories they wanted the public to know I wonder if the ljworld would want to dedicate a page to public opinion ?

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 11 months ago

Dear, cheeseburger

How many Dead people read the newspaper ? ..........Zero but if they are dead they probably dont have a job and if that's the case they are dead and dont have a job they can get a subscription for 1 dollar !! Keep up with the news in the after life !!

bliddel 4 years, 11 months ago

Well... It does seem like a nice gesture on the part of LJW. I've been UI for way more than 90 days, so 90 days of confirming there are still no jobs in Lawrence does rather seem like a waste of perfectly good paper (since I have Internet access), but again, it seems a nice gesture.

Yeah, cheeseburger, I just lost a loved one 21 months ago, before the new policy on obituaries, but the LJW is surely just following the lead of so many other newspapers, like the Washington Post, who flat out refused to run one for me, or even to return my calls. Death sucks, but uncooperative obstructive banks and big city newspaper obituary departments and greedy funeral homes and probate all suck even more.

bliddel 4 years, 10 months ago

cheeseburger : Good point. Going from $0 to $250 all at once is a staggering and sudden increase. Have you asked LJ World to comment about this?