Archive for Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lawrence Community Shelter withdraws plans for homeless shelter at Don’s Steakhouse site

The Lawrence Community Shelter has withdrawn plans to relocate to a former restaurant in east Lawrence, instead focusing on relocating to another site.

January 20, 2010, 3:46 p.m. Updated January 21, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Leaders of Lawrence Community Shelter have abandoned plans to build a homeless shelter at the former Don’s Steakhouse site, and now are proposing a shelter near the Douglas County Jail.

Shelter leaders Wednesday withdrew an application for a permit that would have allowed the site, 2176 E. 23rd St., to be converted into a 125-bed shelter. They now are seeking a permit to convert a warehouse at 3701 Franklin Park Circle into a shelter and homeless jobs program.

Shelter director Loring Henderson touted positives of the new site.

“This is about as far away from things as we can get,” Henderson said. “It is not that we totally want to be far away, but we are listening to neighbors.”

The new site does have several businesses nearby. Jerry Taylor, owner of Hillcrest Wrecker & Garage Inc., said he was surprised shelter leaders would choose such an isolated location. “I’m kind of astounded for one thing,” he said. “I just can’t imagine a homeless shelter out in this area with nothing around. I guess it would remove the problem from downtown and put it in my backyard.”

Shelter officials said they plan to begin meeting with businesses surrounding the site this week. The Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission could conduct a hearing on the new permit as early as March. City commissioners ultimately will have to approve the permit.

The new proposal comes after neighbors near the Don’s site had expressed multiple concerns and after the planning commission deferred action on the permit until it received more information about how the shelter would operate. After that deferral in November, the shelter lost its option to buy the Don’s site.

Doug Brown, a commercial real estate agent on the shelter’s board of directors, said the shelter was approached by Franklin Business Center LLC about its 25,000-square-foot building, which comes with 4.1 acres of land. Brown said the warehouse is not yet under contract and will mainly need interior renovations, which should cost less than the Don’s property. “This new site could speed us up by a year,” Brown said.

Comments

jsusanmullane 4 years, 1 month ago

I am amazed at all of the heartless comments posted here.

How ignorant so many of you are. And how ashamed you should be of your ignorance and your arrogance.

Not everyone who ends up in a homeless shelter is a drug addict or a drunk. But some people who end up homeless and hopeless can easily become drug addicts or drunks without intervention to keep them off the streets.

Our economy has been in the tank for quite a few years now. It never completely recovered from the excesses and greed of the 1980s (of course, many of you posting comments here may be too young to remember the "good old days"). But gluttony has a cost. And we have been paying ever since.

I have been looking for employment for over 2 years. I have applied for part time, temporary, contract, menial jobs just to be employed. I have "dumbed down" my resume to fit the needs of those entry level positions. I have interviewed so many places I cannot count anymore. I have cold-called companies, "making my own position".

Who am I? A 52 year old widow, with 2 kids who just graduated from high school last spring. My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer when my kids were in grade school and died when they were just 13. No insurance - he was between jobs at the time. I took a job while he was dying - a part-time job so I could attend to his many needs. 24 hospitalizations and surgeries in 20 months. Have you ever dealt with teens who have lost a parent? There is so much anger about what might have been, no matter how much counseling there is. Way beyond teen angst. I spent two years trying to keep my son in school - because he wanted to drop out and I wouldn't stand for it. That meant I was in the school building once a week for meetings, with daily contacts with teachers and administrators. And still I kept looking for a job.

In the past two years I have sent out over 1,500 resumes and inquiries. I have filled out countless applications. I have had a total of 7 interviews. And never got any kind of response from those prospective employers.

By the way, my hair has been silver for years and I use a cane. Think that might have anything to do with it?

I have been trying to find a job for so long and there aren't enough jobs to go around. I have quite literally fallen through the cracks, and somedays I am suicidal.

So get off your high horses, Lawrence. The problem is real.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 2 months ago

kylechandler (Anonymous) says…

as soon as all you old ignorant power conservatives 'pass on' to your clean-homeless free- all white-version of heaven.

the sooner we can get something done.

Why wait? You can turn your back yard into a campground and your living room into a dormitory today. Get on it!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 2 months ago

Loring Henderson has always listened to Lawrence citizens.

No matter how much effort Loring Henderson puts forth he cannot keep homeless people from being downtown... that is not his job.

My speculation tells me that the " street people" will be forced to spend more time downtown because any type of refuge will be located beyond any reasonable walking distance.

Is Lawrence shooting itself in the foot?

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

ilovelucy, i know the answer to my questions. The general public does not. If you would stop doing the salsa with Desi and put that marimba away, you would understand what I am saying.

There are enough agenices in this town to support the needs for twice the population. What there is not enough of, is common sense.

jman785 4 years, 2 months ago

I stand corrected. Not all of the money comes from panhandling downtown. A percentage does come from breaking into vehicles for the change in the cupholder!

nuby 4 years, 2 months ago

There are so many "safety net" programs available now that if you end up homeless that is by your own doing, or lack of doing.

jman785 4 years, 2 months ago

rando1965, "protect your property like most of the rest of lawrence does" Thanks for the advice, I have gone through too many master locks to count. Leaving a blanket seems like a nice enough gesture, but why be nice when they have to break in in order to use said blanket. When your garage is separate from your house any number of things can happen without knowledge for days on end. This includes prying of paneling as well as locks. What your mother did 20 years ago can not be compared to the problems we are facing with todays homeless. Sure there were the drunk homeless, the ones who wanted to be homeless (the bag lady that used to roam the streets in the 80's), and the drugsters! I don't believe they were as aggressive as now though. When you have a 50/50 chance of getting beat up for NOT giving a homeless person money downtown, there is a problem! Finding needles and empty bottles on my front porch as well as behind my house, there is a problem (mostly while mowing the lawn). HMMM where is the money coming from to buy the needles and drugs might you ask? Panhandling downtown of course!

fallingwhilereading 4 years, 2 months ago

How about all of the right-wing, rednecks should be shipped to the westside of Topeka. Truly Manhatan Kansas would be closer to your natural environment.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 2 months ago

No panhandler with a mission is going to hang out by the jail. They are going to come downtown and get too drunk to make th long trek back so more sleeping in the parks, under bridges and porches. No available food will mean more specific panhandling. Food for instance.

lionheart72661 4 years, 2 months ago

You know with the economy the way it is that at any given time any of you people in here that call the homeless "bums" and the like can turn up homeless. Think about that for a moment. Not all homeless are derelicts and bums. So just keep those negative thoughts to yourselves. 12 years ago I was homeless, was i a bum "NO" just down on my luck just as you may be some day. Now I have a good home 2 jobs and a family. bad times and hard times they come to anyone

ilovelucy 4 years, 2 months ago

oneeye: why don't YOU call the social service agencies to find out information? The Journal World routinely supports all ss agencies in this town. You must not read the newspaper. your statements are inane for the most part.

swku 4 years, 2 months ago

Once again people are sterotyping the homeless as criminals. Have any of you ever stopped to think that maybe the reason why the get arrested is so that they can have a warm place to sleep and food to eat? It is possible that not all people that are homeless are bad people.

skinny 4 years, 2 months ago

If they put the homeless shelter out by the jail at least all they will have to do when they get out of jail is walk across the street!

swku 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm sorry but most of you are referring to the homeless people as the scum of Lawrence. They are people to, not all of them are hardened criminals or druggies. Some of them are just people that have been placed in unfortunate situations that they couldn't control. As opened minded and hippie and most Lawrencians claim to be your not accepting of others. You are just like everyone else always passing judgments upon people without knowing extenuating circumstances.

The answer is not to put a shelter in the middle of nowhere. It would be a waste of money considering transportation issues.

Seriously Lawrence you only want to be liberals on your terms. Hypocrites.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

Why does the city commission continue to embrace Loring Henderson's shelter idea? What is Loring Henderson offering that the multitudes of other agencies in town do not?

Why doesn't the Journal World come clean with a full blown story of every social service agency in town, the directors of such, their mission. After all, there are two pages available of services available, not to mention all of the churches that provide various services.

Why is Loring Henderson being indulged at the expense of Neighborhood Resources Department allocation money for his programs? The target neighborhoods aren't real smart, no wonder they continue to be blighted and in disrepair, streets, sidewalks, alleys, homes, urban forests needed to be removed.

Lawrence is a mecca for retirees with money to waste on the local social programs.

Help is on the way, but help where help is needed and appreciated will never be seen.

Why doesn't the J/W interview each and every person at the shelter Loring operates and find out why they came to Lawrence .

Help is on the way, but not where help is needed and appreciated.

Jean1183 4 years, 2 months ago

Agreed, smarty_pants. I work in a medical office. Exactly 2 weeks ago (Thursday the 7th when we had all the snow) we had a obviously homeless person walk in (carrying all his bags). He wanted us to give him a prescription of oxycodone. When I told him that we couldn't (and it took quit a while to get that through to him), he went and sat in our waiting room. A nice lady started talking with him and called the shelter and arranged for someone to pick him up and give him a ride there. When he realized that, he left in a hurry. He DIDN"T want to go to the shelter, he wanted narcotics!

smarty_pants 4 years, 2 months ago

I counsel in a corrections agency. I happen to know of homeless persons who have no desire whatsoever to do anything BUT panhandle on the streets for their daily dose of alcohol. So, while there may be those who are on the streets due to job loss, the majority are there because they just want to drink all day and be free from responsibility. Sorry, I'm not compassionate when it comes to them.

nuby 4 years, 2 months ago

Left_handed- lets put it in your backyard. Problem solved.

Left_handed 4 years, 2 months ago

Typical progressive NIMBY mentality.

nuby 4 years, 2 months ago

TJ_in_Lawrence (Anonymous) says…

"Actually this site is quite far from any residential area. If your worried about “neighborhoods” this really is so far removed from any neighborhoods and the real issue is that it is so far from downtown and everything else that this location will require that the folks will have to ride the “t” to get back and forth."

TJ I'm guessing you don't live in a neighborhood even remotely close to the east side of town or you would not be saying that.

The Shelter has no regard for the tax paying citizens of this town. They try to hide everything and spring these locations on everyone in hopes that the neighborhoods will not have time to have discussions and create an opposition. This is why there is such distrust towards the Shelter.

The Shelter needs to get their patrons off of their rears and doing something, then come and talk to those of us that go to work everyday about giving you money and a new location.

Jean1183 4 years, 2 months ago

Actually this site is quite far from any residential area. If your worried about “neighborhoods” this really is so far removed from any neighborhoods.<<

TJ....have you been to this area? Prairie Park is not far from there (easy walking distance---I know, I do it). Also, according to the Southeast Area Plan developed by the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission, there will be residential areas (and businesses) VERY near. Of course, I wouldn't want to build a home or business in that area if the homeless shelter goes there.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 2 months ago

jman785 need a lock for your garage. protect your property like most of the rest of lawrence does.take away their camp sites throughout town and maby they will move on.but what can anyone say you still won't be happy.i remember 42 years ago they used to sleep in an old car in our driveway at 20th and mass and my mom left a blanket on the seats for them to cover up with,

bearded_gnome 4 years, 2 months ago

kylechandler (Anonymous) says…

as soon as all you old ignorant power conservatives 'pass on' to your clean-homeless free- all white-version of heaven.

the sooner we can get something done.

---thanks for proving once again that the liberal/neohippies are the ones excessively focused on race, rife with racial prejudice, using race as a weapon to divide.

your president came from a church that is marxist and antiwhite, some racial healer?

yes, make the shelter dry/drug free, serving only those with local history or local ties, and people who are making choices to be responsible, then the shelter makes sense. otherwise you're just helping people destroy themselves and attracting more of this dangerous and unwanted population to lawrence. please note that since the *s I have said not one word regarding race/ethnicity. that's because it isall about choices. these people like kylie candler infantilize the homeless and idealize them. kufungirl thinks repeating liberal propaganda serves as support for her position. well, KUfungirl, you keeping any of the bums in your house instead of being compassionate with other people's money?

TJ_in_Lawrence 4 years, 2 months ago

Actually this site is quite far from any residential area. If your worried about "neighborhoods" this really is so far removed from any neighborhoods and the real issue is that it is so far from downtown and everything else that this location will require that the folks will have to ride the "t" to get back and forth.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 2 months ago

Consumer1---a dry shelter will just mean the bottles will be hidden in my bushes until they wake up for more the next day.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 2 months ago

This just eliminates the homeless from having to cross K-10 to get to my neighborhood. Someone has got to be smart enough to do a study to find where this service could be located that is not so near to this many homes. Tangier Mall is a great idea. I've been saying that since this came up.

As much as the city has been pushing to get new businesses to this area.... IE Grocery store and trying to clean up and bring business to the old Farmland site, I don't think this will entice people to do that.

What grocer is going to want to build a nice new building to be used as a shoplifting haven with people using their bathroom as their clean up place?

THINK! East Lawrence is not your dumping ground, City Council! I bet Chestnut wouldn't allow this to happen in his nice, quiet, West Lawrence neighborhood.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with consumer...I'm not supporting some booze shelter. Go get drunk under the bridge.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

We couldn't move the homeless from downtown. Where would they go to beg?

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

This is still a hat trick. To call this "WET" shelter a homeless shelter is a LIE!! It is where people who make the choice to continue drinking to excess are welcomed. There are no consequences for bad choices here. Make it a dry shelter and I will support it. Also, make a family wing for it and I will support it. Detail your work program? what is it??

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

City of Eudora here comes the shelter. Let's keep shoving them east.

smitty 4 years, 2 months ago

Again, the BOD and Henderson are clueless. A real estate agent on the board didn't come up with this shelter location in spite of a months if not a years long search. The owner of the property came forward to offer it. This is a sign that commercial real estate isn't selling and decided to take advantage of the already in place grants to move the otherwise unmovable property.

There is not enough information to even consider this property from the public's POV. Transportation? No way is anyone going to walk from this site to the mental health, social services, etc. Doesn't this create another need for more money such as vans and drivers? More money needed?

What about that $600,000 grant Moore pushed? Will it be used to create the dog biscuit work program that has yet to produce income or employment?

What are the plans to house women and children, mentally ill, addicted, vs the life style bums?

What are the plans for growth on that acreage?

Why should the public now believe that Henderson and his BOD will be cooperative with neighborhoods and the public? With no record of co-operation established there is no reason to take Henderson at his word yet.

rbwaa 4 years, 2 months ago

does anyone know how many of the long-term homeless individuals are veterans?

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 2 months ago

There can never be an acceptable solution to this issue. Nobody wants them living close to them but everybody thinks something should be done. It's tough to be poor and homeless and always will be.

Kyle Chandler 4 years, 2 months ago

the sooner we can get something done.

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

The new location will make a nice pit stop for the "homeless" coming in from KC area on their way to downtown. As someone said in another forum about this subject last year, "build it and they will come"! It is so gracious of us to welcome convicted felons and sex offenders from out of town with open arms. I do hope the new shelter has air conditioning and big flat screen tvs. No reason why the "homeless" shouldn't be more comfortable than some of our resident population that is struggling to make ends meet without a/c and cablevision. Wait! The new jail has a/c and tv! Kind of like staying at the Holiday Inn except that someone tucks you in at night.

honestone 4 years, 2 months ago

Another brilliant post oneeye_wilbur In a family neighborhood at a school that serves ALL of the kids in the neighborhood plus a lot of "at risk" children You make me laugh...you are a riot...

Amy Heeter 4 years, 2 months ago

This changes nothing. The participants will still travel through the neighborhood to get downtown.

monkeyhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

"...in the future most of us will all be in the same position as the homeless are now."

Wow, now that is profound. kufungurl, are you going for an MSW?

I never thought "most of us" would turn out that way. I guess if it happens to me, I'll be a well-dressed homeless person, living in a nice car.

Pilgrim2 4 years, 2 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says…

Because those 8 million people either had no money to spend or substantially less this put more and more out of work and the dominoes continue to fall.

And Richard's float in the increasingly disconnected and irrelevant BDS parade continues to limp along on four flat tires and a quartet of fatigued squirrels in exercise wheels.

chuggy23 4 years, 2 months ago

I worry about the K-10 commuters. I think downtown has lost alot of business because of the homeless people.

overthemoon, I do feel bad for the ones who have lost their job and are homeless but there are other homeless people who just want a hand out.

kufungurl 4 years, 2 months ago

i think it is kinda funny how most of you look down on the homeless people in town. because in the future most of us will all be in the same position as the homeless are now. do you think this empire will last forever? do you know the average lifespan of the industrial era????????? a little over 100 years. so keep throwing dirt on the homeless victims of the industrial era. cause soon that will be you. then you will be in their world.

Larry_The_Moocher 4 years, 2 months ago

Just de-fund the whole program and be done with it. You dont get rid of a stray dog by feeding it. The city does not have the cash it needs for all its boondoggles now. Moving the shelter farther out is good for the empT people as they can count the ridership as someting good, forgetting that the vagrents still get free bus tickets.

It is pretty simple, if they are going to pull their scams here, then some kind of subsistance voucher for some kind of work program should be in place. Make them work and watch them decide that somewhere else would be a better place to be.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

bearded_gnome, isn't “spambot” a musical in New York?

1-eyed-walleye, that's spamalot and yes it was on broadway based on Monty Python. maybe we rewrite it with the monty pythonesque still in there about Merrill! could have men singing and dancing with lawnmowers, dancing around roundabouts.

OTM, yes, some people really need help and are not criminals. family promise is doing a great job with these. however, the bums we see on the street, causing trouble downtown, are homeless by choice or because of their choices. make their lives of self-destruction comfortable, you only help them stay in self-destruction. when the bum camp was bulldozed near the train depot, they found lots of adult magazines, booze bottles, and smoking refuse. how did they pay for these? handouts they'd gotten.

the drunk/drug shelter attracts out-of-towners.

I'm for helping people who aren't determined to stay bums. only help people with local ties or local histories. you do these two simple things and only shelter people who are sober/dry/straight off drugs, guess what, there'll be a whole lot less homeless on our streets.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Convert the money pit of a City golf course into a campground for the homeless but make sure that the school board has enough influence to get imported Indian fence and Astroturf installed.

overthemoon 4 years, 3 months ago

There is an old saying...'there but for the grace of God go I'. If anyone who wants 'the bums' run out of town would consider for a moment just how many months of paychecks, savings, etc you really are from being on the streets, perhaps you'd have a more compassionate and understanding perspective on the plight of the homeless and disenfranchised in our consumer 'i got mine so screw you' culture we live in.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 3 months ago

bearded_gnome, isn't "spambot" a musical in New York?

Now there is an innovative thing for the local community theatre to produce, I will direct it. Spam a Lot, Spam a Lot, .........

Spambot aka Spam a Lot, , coming soon to your local community theatre, a traveling troupe of merry pranksters entertaining the rustics at whim.

Newell_Post 4 years, 3 months ago

Nuts. It would have been known as Don's Flophouse for ever after.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 3 months ago

For that matter, does anyone even know if Merrill is still alive?

it may be that he programmed some spambot to keep on posting his "wisdom."

should we form a search party to see if he's still breathing?

his posts indicate that sentient life ended a long time ago if he is still breathing.

This latest target for the open, drunken/druggy, shelter, still poses a serious problem for the residents of east lawrence who would find these habitual homeless/bums wandering through their alleys and yards.

the booking total listing 3 out of 13 being transient, problem is your numbers bolster our side:

3 of 13 is 23.1% roughly of the bookings were transient. the homeless population in Lawrence is far far below that figure compared to the overall population of lawrence/dgco. thus, your bums are vastly overrepresented among the booking, the jailed offenders.

proves what we say: crime is concentrated among these habitual homeless. Thanks Rando

sunny 4 years, 3 months ago

No Merrill i don't remember that! Show some facts please. I do however remember that Obamy has spent 3 times the amount Bush did, in only one year.

Obamy is a failure. Socialist!

75x55 4 years, 3 months ago

Gee, monkeyhawk. Raining on merrill's rant with that one. Let us know if he bothers to reply - doubting the cut-n-paste bandit will return to the scene of this 'drop'.

blue73harley 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like it might be a workable location. It is east of the jail - which puts it closer to junkyards, tow lots and gravel pits than it does the neighborhoods.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 3 months ago

working hard, why Cordley? well, it sits in a "residential" area with not many if ever grade schools students around it. they are bussed in or driven by the parents. The buidling is suited for LINK, it has a kitchen, it has a gym, it has open space, it is on the bus route and it already exists, Loring Henderson can pony up some money to buy it and that money put into the school coffers(which won't last long) as for New York, if it closes, then the Administration staff of USD 497 should move into that building and sell off the current building which will be sold at a loss as was every other real estate endeavor the school district has participated in.

Quail Run, it will be in about 20 years not much needed either as the population around it will be elderly and the houses needing expensive rehabs, they will be the future habitat for humanity rehab homes.

Cordley is the best bet now for the Drop In center or call it what you will. As long as the city commission continues to endorse Henderson's folly, it is here to stay.

What's the status on family promise, on the salvation army, on the Bert Nash housing for clients, section 8, other subsidized programs for housing?

Cordley is an albatross of a building and has plenty of space for housing, food, shelter , workshop programs and a big metal shed on the playground to sit under and ponder the art of pondering.

so there you have it workinghard, that's the way it is.

Jean1183 4 years, 3 months ago

Wait.....near the jail? Isn't that in the "Southeast Area Plan" that the Lawrence/Douglas County Planning Commission spent several years developing and revising? They FINALLY came up with a decent plan (that includes residential, light industrial, commercial, and office/warehouse land use) and now they want to put a homeless shelter there?!?!

Why not put it at Tanger Mall? Plenty of empty space there and no further from services than the areas that have been proposed on the east side of town.

jman785 4 years, 3 months ago

Thinking_Out_Loud, Liberty275

Let us not forget a snow shovel for your sidewalk as well!

Liberty275 4 years, 3 months ago

Thinking_Out_Loud that is a capital idea. Except we should get the federal congress and obama to create a law requiring everyone to own a home and a car, and if they don't they should be fined. If they don't pay the fine, they go to jail.

The midwest may be a boring cornfield, but some really great ideas sprout there.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

merrill wrote "It is not against the law to be homeless and broke."

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! I have an idea, here: since Massachusetts can pass a law that requires all citizens to get health insurance...why can't Lawrence pass an ordnance that requires all residents to be homed and have a steady, regular income? We might even be able to meet one of the goals of the Progressive group by setting the requirement at a living wage: if you can't demonstrate that you earn a salary at least at the living wage level, you may be ticketed, fined, and/or imprisoned at the City's convenience.

Might just solve several problems at once.

workinghard 4 years, 3 months ago

oneeye_wilbur --curious as to why you don't want New York School closed and turned into a homeless shelter, could you be pushing for Cordley because you want New York left open? Close Quail Run and send the homeless there.

conservative 4 years, 3 months ago

Ljworld i beg you to make it possible to ignore individual users so we have the option of no longer seeing their posts. I am so sick of endlessly having to scroll down through certain people's posts.

jman785 4 years, 3 months ago

"13 people booked and only 3 are listed as transient. we can do this every day and the majority of people have a home"

Get that weak tot action outta here!

Let's do that research in the middle of summer when the majority of the people walking down my sidewalk and camping in my garage are transients! Come to think of it, the ONLY people that camp in my garage seem to be homeless.

Liberty275 4 years, 3 months ago

Give them all one-way bus tickets to frisco so nancy pelosi can increase her voter base.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 3 months ago

THERE WILL ALLWAYS BE HOMELESS. ASK YOURSELF THIS,HOW MUCH OF THE CRIME IN LAWRENCE IS COMMITTED BY PEOPLE THAT ARE NOT HOMELESS ? PROBABLY A MAJORITY OF IT. NOT DEFENDING THOSE THAT DO, BUT THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES. DOUGLAS COUNTY SHERRIFFS BOOKING SHEETS FOR YESTERDAY, 13 PEOPLE BOOKED AND ONLY 3 ARE LISTED AS TRANSIENT. WE CAN DO THIS EVERY DAY AND THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE HAVE A HOME.

To Sides 4 years, 3 months ago

if what is needed is shelter, water and toilet facilities check out the airport.. Should be a lot of room in one of the hangers, aleady has water and city is putting in a sewer. kill to birds with one stone. Maybe even run the busses out there.

jman785 4 years, 3 months ago

"We need to get ahead of the situation and quit complaining and contribute to a feasable solution." I am perfectly fine with any solution that comes to the table as long as it leaves my neighborhood soon! We have taken it in the shorts until now. Its time for one of your neighborhoods to man up!

monkeyhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

"Remember the Bush-Cheney fraudulent bank scandal that put 8 million people out of work then out of their homes because of no money to make payments???"

So, I suppose this is ok with you?

"Media Mum on Barney Frank's Fannie Mae Love Connection Prominent Democrats ran Fannie Mae, the same government-sponsored enterprise (GSE) that donated campaign cash to top Democrats. And one of Fannie Mae’s main defenders in the House – Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., a recipient of more than $40,000 in campaign donations from Fannie since 1989 – was once romantically involved with a Fannie Mae executive." http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2008/20080924145932.aspx

Or this:

"Chairman of the US House of Representatives Financial Services Committee, Barney Frank, is responsible for oversight of the US mortgage markets administered by government created entities, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Barney’s partner and lover, Herb Moses was a senior executive at Fannie Mae Moses wrote in the Washington Post in 1991. “On Capitol Hill, Barney always introduces me as his lover.” According to National Mortgage News, Moses “helped develop many of Fannie Mae’s affordable housing and home improvement lending programs. Of course, such programs led to the mortgage meltdown that prompted last month’s government takeover of Fannie Mae and its financial cousin, Freddie Mac." http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=democratas&message.id=63769

swan_diver 4 years, 3 months ago

muddfoot55 4 years, 3 months ago

Whether anyone of us likes it or not, this is necessary in a town/city the size of Lawrence. NO ONE! seems to want it in their neighborhood. Solution: stalemate.

Every proposed site will be shot down for one reason or another. Let's think about the other choice that the homeless of Lawrence will have to make.....occupying YOUR unlocked shed, sleeping on YOUR porch swing, YOUR unlocked car, and on and on. .......think!

The homeless issue is not going to go away, I am afraid it is only going to get worse. We need to get ahead of the situation and quit complaining and contribute to a feasable solution.

jman785 4 years, 3 months ago

So, before Bush-Cheney the homeless problem was well under control? I seem to remember the problem downtown well before that administration took office...... I am still waiting for the dominoes to fall my way though! Perhaps we should think of K-10 as the herd thinner???

budwhysir 4 years, 3 months ago

Like sands thru the hour glass, so are the days of our lives..... What will happen to all the homeless people who have already migrated to that side of town?

macon47 4 years, 3 months ago

i counted 1 beggar about every block in downtown today but that was just on one side of the street we have room for lots more.

perhaps the city should charge them to beg? like a franchise fee?

if you are a business owner, you cannot sell your wares on the sidewalk infront of your store , unless you pay a fee, except for sidewalk sale day if you belong to down town lawrence inc

cheeseburger 4 years, 3 months ago

Really, merrill, is there anything amiss with today's society that isn't Bush & Cheney's fault? I get so sick and tired of you blaming absolutely everything on them. Your rants and incessant cutting-and-pasting grew old long ago!

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 3 months ago

Someone from that site may end up as Mr. Likes, trying to cross K-10. Likes it or not, the shelter is here to stay, and from the looks of it, Cordley is still a better site for the likes of me, can't figure out why no one can like it.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 3 months ago

The homeless will still be downtown no matter what.

It is not against the law to be homeless and broke.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

put the bums in one of those schools that will shut down. maybe leave them a few books so they can make a fire. they can eat all of the gum that is stuck on the floors and walls. win win

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

Let the jokes begin! But is all seriousness, how close is this from residential housing?

1029 4 years, 3 months ago

Unbelievable. Still too close to the East Lawrence Neighborhood. Won't someone please think of the children?

ferrislives 4 years, 3 months ago

This should cut down on the costs of fuel for the LPD!