Archive for Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Consumer group releases good, bad lists of Kansas nursing homes

Inspections reveal problems, strengths at care facilities

January 19, 2010

The good news:

• 17 nursing homes (6 percent) have had 3 consecutive years of good inspections.

The bad news:

• 73 nursing homes (24 percent) have had 3 consecutive years of poor inspections.

Note: Three consecutive years are better than one because it shows that there has been a trend of poor inspections. Lawrence’s three nursing homes didn’t make the good or bad inspection lists. Four area nursing homes made the bad list:

• Hickory Pointe Care & Rehabilitation Center, Oskaloosa.

• Bonner Springs Nursing & Rehabilitation Center.

• Life Care Center of Osawatomie.

• Tonganoxie Nursing Center.

The details:

• There are 302 nursing homes in Kansas.

• 5 or less deficiencies make a good inspection.

• 10 or more deficiencies make a bad inspection.

• 8 is the national average of deficiencies.

Examples of deficiencies are a failure to:

• Provide residents proper treatment for bed pressure sores.

• Properly manage each resident’s personal money which is deposited with the nursing home.

• Make sure residents’ nutritional needs are met.

• Prove that staff has obtained training and skills required by state.

Sources:

• Report released by Kansas Advocates for Better Care.

• Data taken in November from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.

• Inspections done by the Kansas Department on Aging.

Mitzi McFatrich

Mitzi McFatrich

“I was surprised the first year we did this and disappointed that we are looking at so few very positive performing nursing homes and so many that are facing many more challenges in terms of meeting the standards of care that the federal government and state government have set.”

— Mitzi McFatrich, Kansas Advocates for Better Care executive director

According to the latest survey (Aug. 1, 2008-Oct. 31, 2009):

• 6 nursing homes had no deficiencies.

• 53 were cited for mistreating residents.

• 55 was the most deficiencies at Hutchinson Care Center.

Lawrence nursing home deficiencies:

• Brandon Woods at Alvamar: 21 cited: 21 corrected.

• Lawrence Presbyterian Manor: 7 cited; 7 corrected.

• Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community: 3 cited; 3 corrected.

The only center within 25 miles of Lawrence not to have corrected all deficiencies, according to the CMS Web site:

• Hickory Pointe Care & Rehabilitation Center: 23 citations; 18 corrected. When contacted, an administrator said all citations had been corrected.

Need information about long-term care?

• Kansas Advocates for Better Care — 800-525-1782 or www.kabc.org.

• Visit medicare.gov and click on “compare nursing homes in your area.”

Need to file a complaint?

• Contact the Department on Aging at 800-842-0078.

• Call 911 if it’s an emergency situation.

Comments

ralphralph 4 years, 7 months ago

Glad to see this type of information in the light of day. Publishing reports -- whether positive or negative -- is a strong motivation to improve performance, and the information can help the public make better decisions. Thanks!

jafs 4 years, 7 months ago

Why isn't there a list of the "good" nursing homes in the area?

flux 4 years, 7 months ago

Im scared to death of ending up in a retirement home.

tolawdjk 4 years, 7 months ago

Or, you know, read the entire article and follow the link.

Gives the good ones and the bad ones.

Onlyifitsadryshelter 4 years, 7 months ago

My grandmother lived in the Hickory Pointe Home in Oskaloosa for the last several years and the people there were always very nice and helpful even tho she had a tendency to be combative. (She was not physically allowed to go home per doctors orders). My grandfather eventually had to be moved in as well because of rapid onset dementia and they made his transition as well as could be expected. They were always treated with great care and the utmost respect. They both recently passed away and several members of the staff cried while offering condolences. I would recommend them to anyone regardless of what this report says.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 7 months ago

Reports are at the Medicare link. My Mom's facility, Chapman Valley Manor, Chapman, KS, once again received a five-star rating. Thanks to all who work there, you are the best.

EarthaKitt 4 years, 7 months ago

Before she died last February, I watched my grandmother suffer incredible indignities and borderline abuse at what my family was told is one of the best care facilities in the region. I'll not spell out my long list of grievances, but it took almost two months, multiple meetings and an untold number of phone calls to every agency I could think of before we found anyone who could help. KABC, Medicare, the ombudsman for elderly folks -- I spoke to them all and none could offer anything more than an opportunity for me to lodge a complaint. I didn't need to complain. I needed help -- immediate help -- and found no one who would stand up to facility administration. The organization that finally came to our rescue was Hospice. The instant we called Hospice Grama got quality care, instant pain relief and round-the-clock attention to her immediate needs. Sadly it had taken us six weeks to get to that point. Gram died a week or so later.

I'm ashamed to say that after the two hardest months of my life (and I know I speak for the rest of my family) I was too exhausted and sad to file any complaints and or pursue any kind of action that could be taken. Elder care in this country is ridiculous. I'd heard it said for years and years but never understood until I was in the middle of it. I shudder to think what happens to people who don't have family members to advocate on their behalf.

So my points are twofold:

1. Don't use lists as your only guide to care center quality. Ask patients, visit the centers and talk to staff members. Use every avenue to research the facility you're considering. It doesn't matter how much it costs or how pretty the place is; the care is what counts. Once you've committed, be sure to spend enough time at the facility to be sure the care that was promised is the care that's being delivered.

2. Call Hospice the instant -- the INSTANT -- your friend or relative finds himself or herself in a terminal condition. (Not that we all aren't.) Hospice came into our lives and managed all of the care-taking issues that had distracted us from what was most important. Hospice gave us the opportunity to spend quality time with Grama. Hospice is amazing. I wish we'd called sooner.

jafs 4 years, 7 months ago

tolawdjk,

Thanks for the links - very helpful!

There appear to be 17 facilities with fewer than 5 citations (none of which are for serious deficiencies, according to KABC).

I'll give it to my father-in-law, who is researching this right now.

Eartha,

I'm sorry to hear your story - our systems seem to do a very inadequate job of ensuring quality.

devobrun 4 years, 7 months ago

Statistics are for government regulators. They always should be treated with the view that numbers are being used to categorize and lump complex information into a form that is not detailed.

Is a deficiency defined as: not enough food in the dining room, physical abuse, leaving the cap off the shampoo bottle in the shower room?

These are all deficiencies. They sure aren't the same.

How many of these facilities are 25 unit outfits with no Alzheimer's wing? And how many of them have 250 beds and a fully functional unit for the most difficult patients that can be? And they accidentally forget to file a form 2155-7A with the Kansas department of redundancy department?

I like Eartha's comment number 1. Be involved and learn about the people who run the place......Forget the numbers.

oneforall 4 years, 7 months ago

I WORK AT HICTORY POINTE HOME IN OSKALOOSA IN 1994 TO 1996,IT WAS A VERY NICE PLACE.BUT THEN THE ADMINISTRATOR PASS AWAY,THE PLACE WASN'T THE SAME.THE CARE WAS REALLY BAD,THE FOOD WAS BAD,IT WAS DIRT AND I LOVE WORKING WITH THE ALZHEIMER'S.I WAS THE ACT.DIRECTOR,CNA.