Archive for Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How to help earthquake victims in Haiti

January 13, 2010

Information from the Red Cross on assisting people impacted by the Haiti earthquake.

TO CONNECT WITH PEOPLE IN HAITI

The U.S. State Department is offering family linking services for U.S. citizens in Haiti. Call 888-407-4747. Services for non-citizens living in Haiti are not currently being offered.

TO ASSIST WITH THE RELIEF EFFORT

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the Red Cross, says financial donations work best, and the organization is not accepting food, clothes or other items. To donate, contact the Red Cross online or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.

Checks may be sent to the local chapter of the Red Cross at 2518 Ridge Court, Lawrence, KS 66046. Checks should be marked as being designated for the Haiti relief effort. The local chapter is also taking credit card donations by phone at 843-3550.

Comments

bankboy119 4 years, 3 months ago

If anybody is looking for a local charity to help in Haiti look at www.lightingthedark.org. My friend has been running the organization for over a year.

His name is Allen Barker and he would be more than willing to work with anybody locally. They have worked with people across the United States but are based in Eudora, KS.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

I was sittin' home alone one night in L.A., Watchin' old Cronkite on the seven o'clock news. It seems there was an earthquake that Left nothin' but a Panama hat And a pair of old Greek shoes. Didn't seem like much was happenin', So I turned it off and went to grab another beer. Seems like every time you turn around There's another hard-luck story that you're gonna hear And there's really nothin' anyone can say And I never did plan to go anyway To Black Diamond Bay.

Bob Dylan Black Diamond Bay

musiclife 4 years, 3 months ago

you can donate by texting a lot of different organizations; one of them is Red Cross. Text HAITI to 90999 and it will automatically donate $10 off of your phone bill.

jeudi 4 years, 3 months ago

If you want to donate to an organization other than the Red Cross, you might consider Doctors Without Borders (MSF). It is composed of doctors who volunteer their services to help people in medical need. They were already in Haiti helping when the earthquake struck and now they need more medical supplies.

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

After the first two posts on this thread, as far as I am concerned, anyone who ever says anything negative about "ME" on this forum is a complete halfwit!

The first poster on this thread is an arrogant dimwit; too stupid to realise that the Red Cross has one of the most secure sites on the planet and the second tries to make political hay out of people only a few hundred miles off our shores who have been crushed by falling buildings.

You both "SUCK" !

Go ahead!

Complain!

"Suggest Removal"!

And in the meantime, I would write:

"Bite me!"....

.......................but if I wrote that, I might get the comment deleted, so I won't!

devobrun 4 years, 3 months ago

Can I send a check or stuff to Cuba or Venezuela and be assured that the stuff will get to Haiti? Do you have addresses for them?

They are so much more egalitarian and non-judgmental, and helpful in times of crisis. I trust the peoples' democratic republic of Castro so much more than our government or their agents (like the red cross) who never really help people. Well, at least not like they have Bolivia. Paradise that is, thanks to Che and Fidel, and Morales and Hugo

Kat Christian 4 years, 3 months ago

Nope I don't donate cash, check or credit card info - too easy to be side whomped by too many dishonest people. I'll give clothes, can foods, water etc. if they'll take that.