Archive for Tuesday, January 12, 2010

KU’s Goodrich to miss remainder of season with torn ACL

Kansas guard Angel Goodrich goes down with a hurt knee injury Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse. Oklahoma State outlasted the Jayhawks with a layup to win in the final seconds.

January 12, 2010

Angel Goodrich, a red-shirt freshman on the Kansas University women’s basketball team, will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus damage in her right knee during Tuesday’s 70-68 loss to No. 15 Oklahoma State.

Goodrich, who missed the entire 2008-09 season after tearing her left ACL, left the game with just under 2:30 remaining in the second half after a collision with an Oklahoma State player and didn’t return.

Midway through the first half Tuesday, Goodrich had to be helped from the court and led into the locker room after a fall near the baseline appeared to aggravate the right knee, which coach Bonnie Henrickson said was tweaked during KU’s Dec. 30 victory over Pepperdine. She returned late in the first half.

Goodrich will have surgery this month and is expected to return next season as a sophomore. She was averaging 7.1 assists, 6.8 points and 2.7 rebounds.

Comments

LeBo 5 years, 1 month ago

Darn, without our Angel there will be no NCAA tourney. This season is looking like to Football season sequel. Pre-season top 25. Good early wins. Getting swept by Missery and K-State. Followed by a new coach! (Can somebody get Lynette Woodard on Line One for Lew Perkins please?)

kusp8 5 years, 1 month ago

That sucks. Anybody know if she can get another medical redshirt?

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 1 month ago

There goes the season. Will Bonnie use this as another excuse? If this team doesn't make NCAA she needs to be gone.

KU_cynic 5 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon story, as documented in Michael Sokolove's book Warrior Girls: Protecting Our Daughters Against the Injury Epidemic in Women's Sports.

Young women's bodies are just not made for the stress and strain associated with 8 years of basketball (high school and college), off-season camps and training, and especially a 31-game regular season in college and effectively year-round basketball oriented training.

How about a round-robin 11-game conference schedule for wone's basketball, preceded by merely a 6-game pre-conference schedule -- all in the spring semester with an absolute prohibition on any play or practice in the fall semester? Injuries would still occur, but at a much lower absolute incidence. Would also give women basketball players an uninterrupted fall semester to work on their grades, which at KU have not been so sharp lately.

If we really cared about the welfare of the student athletes, wouldn't this be sensible?

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Many athletes go through high school and college without tearing or injuring a knee. There are exercises and stretches which are recommended which helps prevent knee injuries. I am sure these are practiced in college, and by KU, but injuries will happen. Sometimes a player favors a past injured knee so much that they injure the other one. Limiting play won't prevent knee injuries either. Injuries are going to occur.

Phillbert 5 years, 1 month ago

I recall Brandon Rush tearing his ACL, so we'd better gut men's basketball too. And of course football. And baseball too, what with all the arm injuries to pitchers

Additionally, the article is wrong. Goodrich came back in the first half, not the second, (I assume after being cleared by the trainers) following the first incident. But I look forward to reading more medical diagnoses from Internet commenters.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

Studies have shown that women are 3-10 times as likely to have ACL injuries as men.

That doesn't mean women shouldn't play these games, but facts are facts. I second the exercises and stretches that mom of three suggested.

buddy2me 5 years, 1 month ago

Yes the stretches are great, but, been there, done that!! I did those exercises and stretches all through High School and college, and then my Junior year in college, I tore my ACL. They help, but don't fool yourself, they will still happen if the strain happens to be at a certain point on your knee. After the repairs, usually the other knee will become injured. When I had my surgery, the doctor told me that my reconstruction on my knee made my knee stronger, so I asked can you go ahead and fix my other one? Of course you can't! My trainer told me that it's all about where the stress hits on the knee, no amount of stretches are going to help that.