Archive for Monday, January 11, 2010

GOP: Reid’s apology for remark not enough

January 11, 2010

— Republicans on Sunday accused Democrats of a double standard by accepting Sen. Harry Reid’s apology for racial remarks about Barack Obama instead of demanding Reid’s ouster as majority leader.

In a private conversation reported in a new book, Reid described Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign as a “light-skinned” African-American “with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.”

Reid, D-Nev., apologized to Obama on Saturday, and the president issued a statement accepting the apology and saying the matter was closed.

GOP Chairman Michael Steele, in appearances on two Sunday news programs, compared Reid’s predicament with the circumstances that led Senate Republican leader Trent Lott to step down from that post in 2002. Lott had spoken favorably of the 1948 segregationist presidential campaign of Strom Thurmond, and in spite of apologies for those remarks at Thurmond’s 100th birthday, Lott was forced out as leader.

Comments

KJaxn 4 years, 11 months ago

The good Senator's apology is noted. I only have a couple of follow-up questions. Since your comments were apparently not what you "meant" to say, your answer to these questions will help to clarify your true position: 1. Would you agree, Sir, that America is now ready for a DARK SKIN President? 2. If that President's "dialect" were similar to, say, Charles Barkley's, would the white majority of voters be reluctant to vote for that President? 3. Would you be whole-heartedly in agreement if one of your grandsons decided to marry one of President Obama's daughters, or perhaps one of Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson's granddaughters?

Left_handed 4 years, 11 months ago

Trent Lott was excoriated by Democrats for daring to say someting nice to a 100 year old retiring senator who had been a segregationalist. Harry Reid gets a pass for making a blatant racist and insensitive remark.

The leftmedia are afraid of Sarah Palin. Despite their best efforts to discredit her and paint her as an ignorant moron, she remains the darling of grassroots conservatives everywhere (myself included). I guess the lesson we must learn from this is that "progressives" can never be racist, despite making obvious racist remarks, and conservatives are racist even if their remarks don't support that conclusion.

No wonder the Dims are melting down and on a path to lose Congress in the upcoming midterm elections.

As a wise man once said, "Darwin bless us all".

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

Come on, people.

Saying that the country would have been better off had a segregationist become president in 1949 is quite different, and obviously more offensive to African-Americans than what Reid said.

Which, by the way, is true as far as I can tell - Obama is rather light-skinned (which makes sense since only one of his parents is black), and doesn't sound as obviously "black" as some.

As some have argued, he probably wouldn't have been elected had he been much darker and sounded more "black".

The term "double standard" only has real meaning if the two events being compared are similar enough to warrant it.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Senator Reid makes the remarks in 2008. He doesn't apologize until 2010 and only after it is revealed they are in a book coming out this week. How sincere is that?

He should step down if for no other reason than being as smart as a rock. I have a feeling he will be stepping down. That might not happen until next January, but he will be leaving.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 11 months ago

LOL this is stupid any way you look at it.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

"Made_in_China (Paul R. Getto) says…

“Which, by the way, is true as far as I can tell - Obama is rather light-skinned (which makes sense since only one of his parents is black), and doesn't sound as obviously “black” as some.” === This should feed the chatter for a few days. Two brief thoughts: If Obama looked and talked like Al Sharpton, or if Sarah Palin looked like Golda Meir, things could have been vastly different at the polls."

Light skinned????? I have a color TV and President Obama looks African American. Harry Reid looks light skinned to me.

As a matter of fact when I see him I aways say: "Harry Reid! How are you, you old light skinned, Nevada speaking when you want to, caucasion?"

That is just how we speak LOL! See how dumb sounding that is?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

Even though Reid's remarks were not at all inaccurate (or racist,) for a politician to utter them out loud was indeed stupid. But they in no way compare to Lott's endorsement (there's really no other way to describe it) of Thurmon's segregationist politics.

Republicans are only making a big deal of this because it's a distraction from their complete irrelevancy and lack of workable ideas, and because they think it somehow creates a smokescreen over their ever-more racist tendencies.

Morning Porch:

"Celebrating segregation (as Trent Lott did) is a very long way from saying that blacks have their own dialect and Obama is more familiar with it than Reid is."

Trent Lott celebrated Strom Thurman...I don't remember Lott making comments about segregation.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"I don't remember Lott making comments about segregation."

When you say the country would have been better off if the segregationist candidate for president (Thurmon) had won in 1948, that is an endorsement of segregation, pure and simple.

Bozo:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Given that thought process, LOL!, this is going to be good, wait for it...OK ...here goes

What then is a vote for Bill Clinton stand for? Cigars, blue dresses and interns in hallway? LOL! Now that is funny right there. I don't care who you are, that's funny.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Besides is there really a "Negro dialect"? Must be a "Caucasion dialect" as well. So I speak english and caucasion....let me put that on my resume...be right back.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

"What then is a vote for Bill Clinton stand for? Cigars, blue dresses and interns in hallway?"

Were those major platforms (or platforms at all) in his campaign? No, they weren't.

But when you're a Republican, I guess you really have to strain a lot to make it seem reasonable. I hope you don't get a hernia.

BTW, I never voted for Bill Clinton.

anon1958 4 years, 11 months ago

"The leftmedia are afraid of Sarah Palin."

I dont think so. This is what the left wants the Republican party to do about Sarah.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please put her on your next presidential ticket.

Satirical 4 years, 11 months ago

What? The Left and the media having a double standard!?!

And in other news....dog bites man.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

The hypocracy is amazing. The left has a former KKK member in the senate, they forgave him. Joe Biden makes remards similar to Ried and they forgave him. Reid says something stupid they forgave him. Constantly looking the other way when the left says something racist.

Trent Lott tries to make an old man feel good, he has to step down.

temperance 4 years, 11 months ago

George Will, notorious left-wing socialist radical: "I don't think there's a scintilla of racism in what Harry Reid said." http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/george-will-defends-harry-reid-against-liz

Satirical 4 years, 11 months ago

I love how the Libs are giving Reid a pass. What a bunch of hypocrites. You will decry the comment, but not demand any action. Even more proof that playing the race card is a game, just like politics. Remember it is only racism when a Lib says it is racism. All non-libs are racist. Libs are just waiting for anything resembling proof so they can take action..... (How dare you compliment someone who was racist! That must mean you hate all African-Americans...) But when a Lib makes racists statements, no action is necessary.

I bet if this was a white police officer using the same remark against one Obama's friends, he wouldn't be so forgiving. But I guess we will never know...

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Porch, bad night for me as well, knee pain...

Here is a great article that refreshes our memory about Trent Lott's comments:

Interesting to note Lott also asked for forgiveness...but none given.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

"The term “double standard” only has real meaning if the two events being compared are similar enough to warrant it"

Hear what you're sayin', jafs, and I agree to a point. The main problem with your argument is that the only similarity these events really need for comparison is that they happened. There have been no "degrees" with which to measure a slight against the black community for some time now. Subtle or overt; the backlash has been the same, at least when the offender has been a Republican, or maybe an officer of the law. Put Reid's words in their mouths; what would be the response from the left? And that's where the double standard comes to play.

That being said, I think this is all much ado about nothin',

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

All of this is stupid.....

1) Yes, there is a HUUUUUUGE (that was capitalized btw) double standard with the media here. Neither Lott or Reid should have been, or be considered to be forced out over these comments. (Now Reid should be forced out for other reasons...like spending trillions of our great-grandchildren's money and Lott for allowing GOP senators to become totally corrupt under his watch).

2) Okay, we are all human. Can we not laugh at ourselves... or at the very least stop the fake tears when someone says something stupid? Whatever happened to "stick and stones?" We have raised and are raising a generation of wimps.

3) If you want Obama out (Tom, Left_handed), forget Sarah Palin. Quit buying her book, quit watching her on TV. She is an idiot. Her popularity only helps Obama in 2012. Lets find the best candidate (which right now looks like Romney) and start getting behind him and raising money for him, because Obama already has tens of millions of dollars head start.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

right tom, you know the dude ripping on sarah palin was the dude that decided to give her a shot on the ticket.

I love the part where they did the background check on her. no one went to alaska. one lawyer did a google search on her, and bingo! she's in.

also loved the part where she didn't know the difference between north and south korea. senator O'biden.....that was classic Palin.

The left doesn't fear palin-in fact, I hope she makes the republican ticket! please god please!

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

you wanna believe Palin?

go right ahead. let me know how it works out for ya.

you betcha!

You do realize that she refused comment in order to not look more stupider? maybe it is her sweet little mind coming up with:

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience.... "All of 'em, any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years." --Sarah Palin, unable to name a single newspaper or magazine she reads........... "Well, let's see. There's ― of course in the great history of America there have been rulings that there's never going to be absolute consensus by every American, and there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So, you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but ―" --Sarah Palin, unable to name a Supreme Court decision she disagreed with other than Roe vs. Wade............... "We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. ... We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation.".............. "[T]hey're in charge of the U.S. Senate so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom." --Sarah Palin, getting the vice president's constitutional role wrong after being asked by a third grader what the vice president does......... "They are also building schools for the Afghan children so that there is hope and opportunity in our neighboring country of Afghanistan."

you

go

girl!

ralphralph 4 years, 11 months ago

Bad Night: infected molar ... ugh! Bad Politics: When are we ready to go post-racial? I guess I thought we should already be there. If I were to prejudge Obama based on a category, if would have nothing much to do with his appearance, and a lot to do with the fact that he is another Harvard lawyer who is out of touch with real people who get up in the morning and go to work. If you want to tie Palin into that, you can certainly paint her as the anti-Harvard-lawyer, but I'm not convinced she's smart enough (or at least well-informed enough) to fill the role. The nation has plenty of people -- men and women of various shapes and shades -- who bring a more populist mindset to the table, along with the smarts to back it up. We don't seem to want one bad enough to overcome the effect of big money.

labmonkey 4 years, 11 months ago

Tom-

You are the one who keeps bringing her up. I am beginning to think that you WANT Obama re-elected...because if she gets the nomination, it is guaranteed to happen.

Ralphralph-

Good post.

RedwoodCoast 4 years, 11 months ago

Just so everyone knows, there actually is a dialect spoken by many African Americans in this country. Seriously. Linguists have studied it for years.

In other news, Nancy Pelosi picked her nose on camera and Hillary spilled some coffee on her pantsuit. We'd better call for their resignations, too.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 11 months ago

Not only was Strom Thurmon segregationist, he opposed Federal anti-lynching laws on the grounds that it should be a states' rights issue. You know, people should be able to choose if they want to live in a state that allows lynching...I guess. Maybe that's what Trent Lott meant about all these problems we had.

Satirical 4 years, 11 months ago

RedwoodCoast...

Are you seriously saying you don't have a problem with Reid's remark? So you wouldn't have any issue if a Republican used the term "Negro" when describing Obama's (or any African-American's) characteristics (or lack-thereof)? Seriously?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 11 months ago

I think Reids remarks were stupid and I would not shed a tear if he looses his leadership position over this.

However, I have never believed the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I can not get over the number of republicans who are OUTRAGED over this. If you listen to what they say, they are not the slightest bit outraged over what was said, only that some dems are being supportive of Reid when they were not supportive of republicans who said similar stupid things.

Now do not get me wrong, the Republicans can and should seize on the double standard, I do not have a problem with that. The problem is...that is virtually the ONLY things Republicans are seizing on. They are not the slightest bit offended by what was said.

That displays perfectly my mantra, they have sides, not values. They have no moral opinions based on beliefs, insteady they are strictly us vs. them.

The republican leader who lost his leadership post over his remakrs about Thurmans past is often cited here as a comparison. However, I would like to remind people that he lost his leadership postion by calls from within his party as democrats do not elect Republican leadership.

Again, however, that fact is ignored by people without values or morals.

And further, I am furious with Pelosi and others who have let Reid off the hook so easily, but as I said, the enemy of my enemy is not always my friend. I am glad to stand shoulder to shoulder with anyone who thinks Reid should be held accountable for what he said because it was racist no matter his party afiliation, and I will laugh at ignorant partison fools who only want him to be accountable because he is of a different party than them, but would not hold someone equally accountable within their own party.

RedwoodCoast 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm saying I don't have a problem with the language part. It is a fact. As for the remainder of the remarks, tasteless though they may be, that is sadly the state of the African American in this country.

But seriously, anything to get a top Dem out of office, right? By the way, what does NAACP stand for? Is that a PC term? All I'm saying is that yeah, maybe he should have chosen his words more wisely, but his remarks unfortunately reflect the reality of race in our society and culture. I do find his remarks objectionable, but I don't think Reid meant any of it in such a malicious or pejorative sense that he should resign. Heck, Obama is even saying that it's water under the bridge.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

One should also consider Reid's voting record on issues that affect African Americans.

That seems to be why many in that community are not calling for more than an apology - they know that his actions do not demonstrate racism.

jafs 4 years, 11 months ago

As far as words go, I think the obsession with the currently PC term is silly, and seems to change quite a bit.

I would think that black, colored, Negro or African American should be fine, as long as the associated attitude is one of respect.

Attitudes and actions are more important than words, imho.

And, again, he is half white and half black, so of course he is lighter skinned than someone whose parents were both black.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 11 months ago

I know conservatives don't do details very well, but here's the rub: the context of these two statements, Reid's and Lott's, are dramatically different. Truth is, with the residual and thankfully declining level of racism in the country, an African-American candidate has to have a non-threatening, articulate speaking style whereas a white male can talk like a dumb hic, like Lott and Thumond on many an occasion, and still get elected. Reid's old. Time is weeding out people whose intentions are good, but who still haven't updated their vocabulary. While Lott's statement did not use any inappropriate language, this gist of his statement was that America would have been better had we formally instituted segregation and opposed anti-lynching laws, both platforms in Strom Thumond's run for the Presidency. There is no good intention to be found therein.

anon1958 4 years, 11 months ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

The “Blessed One” or “Bent” One is a “Progressive Articulate Disillusionist” (PAD) on a Jihad. He and his PAD's are “Azul's” and from this point on will be called “Azul”. Azuls are on a Jihad against America. They can be defeated and will be.

Stimulus, Azuls and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

Or you could just use the same language as the rest of us.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

Shewmonmon: Puddle, your obsession with Palin is mind numbing. Do you dream about her too?

ya mon. me dream bout her getting a republican presidential nomination. she one tough pony.

so reid resigns.........who do you think they will replace him with? brownback? (laughter)

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

Trent Lott was known for making racial jokes behind doors. His comment about segregation was the straw that broke the camel's back. They were looking for a reason to oust him and he gave them one. Reid's comment about Obama was meant to dispel the stereotypes against most black men. Before Obama not too many people thought of well-educated,articulate, people when thinking of black men. Obama raised the bar for all people of color. As a Mother of racially mixed children, it was nice to finally believe that my kids really could be anything they wanted to work hard for.I didn't have probem with Harry Reid's remarks and I don't think Obama does either. Let's see... Nevada or Tennessee.. where would the racists live?

scott3460 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow, payback for getting health insurance reform this far sure came quickly, didn't it? And, in typical right wing corporate media controlled propaganda fashion - via a manufactured "news" story. I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

scott3460 4 years, 11 months ago

"Utterly pathetic, scott. Payback and corporate controlled media are what made this a story? I know it's cold, but get out and get some fresh air, man. Cabin fever must be intensifying your paranoia."

Utterly pathetic? Really? A quote from several years ago surfaces and is drummed up to a controversy on the very eve of final passage of health care reform with all media trumpeting the same essential story line in a transparent effort to damage the Senate majority leader and every hypocritical republican under the sun is suddenly front and center decrying the "racism" of Reid's comments. Please!! That might work with some of the more gullible, but my eyes are open a bit wider than that.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

"A quote from several years ago surfaces and is drummed up to a controversy on the very eve...."

Riiight. People have been sitting on this quote so as to wield it at the most opportune time......to throw off the healthcare vote?! How's this actually supposed to do that? Why wait 'til now? Couldn't have used it earlier, like during the campaign? Stimulus vote? Drummed up to a controversy? Yeah, people in power never have their words parsed and critiqued, especially when the person in question is a white male, Senate Majority leader, and is commenting on the racial "makeup" of the soon-to-be President. Yes, this is certainly all a fabricated news piece. If a Republican had made the same comment it woudn't have lasted one news cycle, no Democrat would have objected, I'm sure you're right.

Your eyes might be wide open, it's your mind that's closed into a perpetual tunnel vision that sees only conspiracy theories. Yup, 'pathetic' pretty much sums it up.

weeslicket 4 years, 11 months ago

funny how the ugly nematodes of racism still slither about within the lymph systems of our nation's peoples.

(funny, sad.
not funny, ha-ha.)

diplomacy205 4 years, 11 months ago

Trent Lott's statement was dramatically worse than Harry Reid's.

There are many reason's to want to kick Harry Reid out of office. This shouldn't be one.

Mike Ford 4 years, 11 months ago

I love conservatives. They say offensive things all of the time because their mostly caucasian voting base assails political correctness to reaffirm their right to say crazy things like Trent Lott did. I speak with knowledge of Trent Lott because he's from Pascagoula where my ex-inlaws live. He's the reason my grandparents got their home rebuilt after Katrina and two years of battle with State Farm. He's a racist plain and simple. I remember when Rolling Stone sent a reporter to the Rexall Lunch Counter in Pascagoula that Katrina destroyed. My aunt worked there. The person interviewed claimed ot be a supporter of Lott's and a Dixiecrat from 1948 on.

It's one thing to claim support for segregation and an entirely different thing to talk about the "well-spokenness" of a minority. Both are bad, but's it's ridiculous for the Right to claim racism on this because through the Fox network they've succeeded in floating all kinds of racist code language in front of an unsuspecting public. I know this because my grandfather is a Fox watching Dixiecrat racist who probably buys this bs hook, line, and sinker. H.L Mencken said never underestimate the stupidity of the American people in this dumb attempt to derail a healthcare bill

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

I do love reading all the bogus indignation coming from the right. So they wanted to support Trent Lott for blaming the nation's ills on the lack of segregation, but this is beyond the pale. uh huh. Sure. We believe you are really upset by this.

The truth is, the Republicans aren't upset by what Reid said. They are upset by the feeling that they don't get to say the same sort of stupid stuff, too! "Gee, if they can be racist, why can't we?" whined the Republicans. How patheticly sad, funny, and very telling about who they really are, all in one.

jaywalker 4 years, 11 months ago

"Reid said something foolish about one person. He then apologized to that one person. That one person accepted the apology. End of story, no matter how much the GOP wants to use the story to stir up its base."

You're not that naive, bea, I know it. We're talking about two of the most powerful men in America; doesn't matter if they made nice, that ain't gonna be the "end of the story", especially when poliitcs is concerned. A book comes out saying Newt Gingrich uttered the exact same words......is the story over by now? That's a big negative.

"The truth is, the Republicans aren't upset by what Reid said. They are upset by the feeling that they don't get to say the same sort of stupid stuff, too! "

Wow. That's ironic and not a little depressing. I guess it depends on who you are that dictates when you get to "profile" an incredibly large group of people. How pathetically sad, hypocritical, and very telling about someone that would speak in such generalizations, particularly concerning such a repugnant quality and therefore inflammatory label.

staff04 4 years, 11 months ago

From the party of "Barack the Magic Negro?"

Mmmmkay. We'll take your "demands" under advisement...

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Staff04...uh wasn't the KKK the terrorist arm of the democratic party?

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Was_the_democratic_party_associated_with_the_KKK

So what were you saying about Barrack the Magic Negro? That seems such a hurtful phrase in comparison to the democratic party's background.

staff04 4 years, 11 months ago

"That seems such a hurtful phrase in comparison to the democratic party's background."

I was quoting Rush Limbaugh (and many others).

Staff04

"It appears that you are trying to make the case that the party platform (at least with regards to race) of yesteryear is analogous with the party platform of today. Disingenuous at best. Dishonesty more likely based on your posting history."

Is that how it appears to you? Really? You appear to have sight problems. How many fingers am I holding up right now looking at you? Because I was pointing out the democratic background is a little shakey to get uppety about comments made by conservatives.

I'll take your apology. Next time before you start calling people dishonest, perhaps you should check your attitude and get informed before you post. That would be new for you. I understand change is hard for people such as yourself.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 11 months ago

complete collapse and several thousand dead americans didn't take away from dubya's mystique, tom. he's still god-like in MY eyes. swoon

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

if I were black, I'd be disgusted at the way the Democrats pander to you because of your race. I'd feel used and treated like a child. All the while blaming Republicans for your ills. Don't get me wrong, Republicans have their own special flavor of arrogance, but the Democrats really feed it to you.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 11 months ago

TomShewmon (Tom Shewmon) says… Talk about racism in the Obama administration. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2

oh Tom, that's politics as usual in Chicago. I doubt Obama sees a problem with anything in that article.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 11 months ago

leedavid-- "Bozo I ask again, in a different way, did Trent Lott say he wished Strom Thurman was president because he supported segregation? No he did not."

Yes, he did. Thurman's support of segregation was the primary reason he split from the Democrats and Harry Truman.

And don't compare Lott (or Thurman) to Byrd-- while Byrd did join the KKK early in life, at the time in W. Virginia, that was really little different from joining the Jaycees, and unlike Lott, Byrd has since repudiated any of the views of the KKK, and proven it in his voting record in the Senate, over several decades.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Bozo did you just say joining the KKK was like joining the Jaycees??????

I'm horrified with disbelief..... seriously.....the Jaycees?

Lott has apologized for his remarks....that according to Reid is all a person needs to do.

pace 4 years, 11 months ago

I love the GOP finally taking a stand. I hope they rope in those cowboys in Kansas, Lynn Jenkins cry for a great white hope to beat down Obama and the truly tasty opposum video by Bill Otto should be their next targets. I hope they ferret out racism in both parties and become reborn as a decent party.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

Pace: you hope we ferret out racism in both parties...I am so happy you acknowledge racism in the democratic party. Finally, someone on the left gets it...must have been an out of body experience. We got one on the left that thinks going to a KKK meeting is like going to the Jaycees.

Porch:

I agree.

Yet, Reid does have a history of racist remarks. This certainly was not the first. Both men say racist things so we find ourselves arguing about the quality of the racism. Is it first degree racism? Second degree? Involuntary racism?

Reid can not go right now. He is too important to the Obama healthcare bill and I understand that. I would hope under normal circumstances, there would be more outrage on the left, and I think that would be the case.

leedavid 4 years, 11 months ago

I got to admit, I also do not like Harry Reid....so as a republican I rejoiced at his possible early demise and knew that would impact the health care bill, if not delay it. The racist part, and only part to me was the "negro dialect" and that is borderline. It is more of an old school stupid remark than a racist one. If I said it to an African American, I think they would view me more stupid than racist. But I don't know.

For the record, I was stationed in Mississippi when I retired, Trent Lott presented my dad and I flags that flew over our nation's capital (for about .5 seconds). That was a touch of class for my dad a former merchant marine. For me I never liked Lott that much. Always talking about taxes like he was a one hit wonder. He constantly attempted to derail the Clinton admin, but looked more like sour grapes than someone with better ideas.

pace 4 years, 11 months ago

So Leedavid if I am following you, you are glad that I admit there is racism in both parties, Then you think the racism from Democrats is worse because they are suppose to be against it while the racism from Republicans is not as important because everyone kinda understands that they are really very racist and if they aren't that is real extra cool.