Agenda highlights • 6:35 p.m. Tuesday • City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets • Sunflower Broadband Channel 25 • Meeting documents online at lawrenceks.org
Bottom Line: City commissioners will finalize the sale of $2.9 million worth of bonds needed to fund the city and county’s purchase of the former Oread Labs building in West Lawrence.
Background: Commissioners are buying the laboratory building near Bob Billings Parkway and Wakarusa Drive to use as a facility to house promising bioscience companies.
The city and county have a lease with the Lawrence-Douglas County Bioscience Authority to manage and market the building.
The bioscience authority has a commitment from Lawrence-based CritiTech to lease part of the space in the building, but more tenants are being sought to help the city and county cover the purchase and renovation costs of the building.
• Proclaim the week of Jan. 11-18 as Martin Luther King Jr. week.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Dec. 8.
• Receive minutes from various boards and commissions.
• Approve all claims.
• Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
• Bid and purchase items: authorize distribution of request for proposals for the public library HVAC upgrade funded by the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act with a due date of Feb. 10.
• Adopt these ordinances on first reading:
a. Ordinance No. 8481, for rezoning Z-10-17-09 of about 24 acres from UR (RO-1A/RMO pending) to Commercial (CC-400), for the Mercato project, which is located at the northeast corner of Kansas Highway 10 and West Sixth Street.
b. Ordinance No. 8486, amending Chapter 16, Article 12, Section 16-1201, Access Management Requirements for West Sixth Street.
• Approve Text Amendment TA-10-21-09 to various articles to correct inconsistencies regarding the uses identified as Communications and Communications Service Establishments.
• Adopt on first reading, Ordinance No. 8483, for text amendment TA-10-21-09 to various articles to correct inconsistencies regarding the uses identified as Communications and Communications Service Establishments.
• Authorize the city manager to execute a memorandum of agreement with Kansas University regarding the sharing of costs to meet the local match requirement for the transit services contract with Olsson & Associates for coordinated transit routes.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a subordination agreement for Shala Stevenson, 1238 Prairie.
• Receive city manager’s report.
• Consider authorizing the city manager to execute a land lease agreement and job creation credit agreement with LWC Partners, LLC. Consider approval of airport improvement projects (taxiway, site preparation, and parking lot) estimated at $135,000.
• Conduct bond and note sale and adopt Resolution No. 6873, authorizing the sale of taxable general obligation improvement bonds for $2.975 million, and declare an emergency and adopt on first and second reading Ordinance No. 8485, providing the necessary funds for the acquisition and improvement of the west Lawrence Labs building, 4950 Research Parkway.